Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Just of the ones I've been to, I'd put Cleveland, San Diego, San Francisco, Detroit, St Louis, and both New Yorks over Seattle as far as aesthetics.

Coors is the one that has felt the closest to me as Seattle for looks but at least has the dumb mountain scoreboard and the bullpen trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Seattle looks like it may be the best of the retractable roof parks, but in general retractable roofs look like poo poo, at least Milwaukee and Houston do.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/1370191589025271808?s=20

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't know if I'm gonna put on this headset again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One for the Dodgers fans:

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1370136266231013379

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

more falafel please posted:

Seattle looks like it may be the best of the retractable roof parks, but in general retractable roofs look like poo poo, at least Milwaukee and Houston do.

Seattle's functions more like an Umbrella than a roof, so even when closed it still feels like you're outside.

I haven't been to a lot of stadiums yet, but overall my experience has been T-Mobile Park has been the best. Just an overall comfortable experience, a lot of food places inside to choose from, semi-decent entertainment between innings, and good places to eat around the area.

It's still hard to beat the Nagoya Dome's burger, beer and fries for 1000 yen though!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sweatpants Baby posted:

Mariners games are great because you can just buy the cheapest possible tickets and then sit anywhere.

A friend of mine used to print out his nosebleed e-ticket with the seat number altered but the same barcode so he could sit in the lower sections but nearly got caught once and stopped because he was afraid of being banned from the stadium

Obviously this is only possible during sparsely attended games

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

A friend of mine used to print out his nosebleed e-ticket with the seat number altered but the same barcode so he could sit in the lower sections but nearly got caught once and stopped because he was afraid of being banned from the stadium

Obviously this is only possible during sparsely attended games

At White Sox games they just close the upper deck when attendance is low and tell you to sit wherever you want if you have an upper deck seat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

more falafel please posted:

At White Sox games they just close the upper deck when attendance is low and tell you to sit wherever you want if you have an upper deck seat.

The Astros could have a Marlins level of attendance and they'd still check your ticket every time you try to go to the field level seats

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1370121928241991688?s=21

Big fan of making bases bigger, gently caress getting rid of the shift
:same:

What the game seems to want but fails to articulate is more balls in play. Banning the shift will have minimal if any impact on that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Safeco/TMobile need to add more garlic to their garlic fries :colbert:

But Edgar's Cantina and the teriyaki places are great food.

Haven't been brave enough to get the fried grasshoppers yet though

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Safeco/TMobile need to add more garlic to their garlic fries :colbert:

But Edgar's Cantina and the teriyaki places are great food.

Haven't been brave enough to get the fried grasshoppers yet though

The grasshoppers are good and taste exactly like the sauce they put on em. All the grasshoppers do is add a crunchy texture.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
trevor cahill to bucs.

rotation shaping up to be something like

Mitch Keller
Tyler Anderson
Steven Brault
Chad Kuhl
Trevor Cahill

With JT Brubaker next man up. Brubaker could really feast as a super-reliever.

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Kuhl go to the pen. i like him but he really has a tough time with LHB, could protect him a little more in relief

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

I haven't been to a lot of stadiums yet, but overall my experience has been T-Mobile Park has been the best. Just an overall comfortable experience, a lot of food places inside to choose from, semi-decent entertainment between innings, and good places to eat around the area.

I absolutely love the layout of that stadium. The way the bullpens are built into the concourse rules so hard.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

seiferguy posted:

Seattle's functions more like an Umbrella than a roof, so even when closed it still feels like you're outside.

It's still hard to beat the Nagoya Dome's burger, beer and fries for 1000 yen though!

I learned mac n jacks made different beer there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

I absolutely love the layout of that stadium. The way the bullpens are built into the concourse rules so hard.

That actually wasn't the original design. They modified that a few years back when they decided to turn that entire area into a 21+ area so they could serve hard alcohol.

The pitchers absolutely hate it though :v:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Nick Markakis is retiring after 15 seasons. He finishes tied for 54th place in career doubles.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man i was really hoping markakis would get to 3000 hits and thus cause the hall of fame to eat itself

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Athletic did a Bill Brasky thing with Greinke and it is pretty great. I'd just post all of these but I had to stop myself.

Tim Federowicz, Dodgers: So we’re in a team meeting, and it was a real serious meeting getting ready for the playoffs. Like, “Let’s get ready, everyone get locked in, we’ve got about a week left.” And then at the end, Don (Mattingly) was like, “All right, anybody got anything?” Zack raised his hand, and we’re ready to listen to him. And he goes, “Yeah, after you guys are done using the bathroom, just make sure you wash your hands.”

Buck: One day I came home to where I had bought a house in Surprise (Arizona). There was a pretty cool little basketball park just down the road from the stadium. And my house was right by that one. So after he’d throw, and after he’d run, he’d be out there shooting hoops with 12-year-old kids in the neighborhood. Zack’s socks are pulled up. He’s got his bedhead going, and he’s out there in a tank top and shorts. Before short shorts were cool, Zack was wearing them. Out there with these 12-year-olds playing hoops.

Lucroy: For context, I’ve known Zack and Zack’s family for years and years. I played with his brother, Luke, in high school travel ball. He’s from about 30 minutes from where I grew up in central Florida. One of the first times I spoke to him in Milwaukee, he walks up to me in spring training. He looks at me and just says, “You know, if I wanted to be, I could probably be a better catcher than you,” and just walks away. I was like, “What? I can’t believe he just …”

Federowicz: I was struggling hitting at the time. I was like, “Man, I really don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m such an easy out.” And his response was like, “Yeah, you are. If I was facing you, I would just throw you all sliders and you’d have no chance.”

Tony Arnerich, Class-A Wilmington: In spring training, we were both staying at the hotel. I was facing him and I got to a 1-2 count and fouled off like three pitches. And then he just smokes me in the elbow with a fastball. That night, we were back at the hotel and we’re in the hot tub. My elbow is kind of barking and I’m like, “Greink, man, you know where you’re throwing the ball. What’s up, man? Did you hit me on purpose?” And he was like, “Well, I only had so many pitches, I didn’t want to waste them all on you. I wanted to face other hitters so I had to get you out of there.” I was like, “Oh my god.” His brutal honesty was so great.

Buck: I had been catching him for a while. This was right at the end. And it happened to be the year he was having his Cy Young year (2009). In the middle of that, he said, “John, I know I’m throwing good, but I’m starting to second-guess myself. I don’t want you to catch me anymore.” I was just kind of like, “What?” I was young, too. My ego was hurt. And then he goes, “I just think you’re too smart. You just make me out-think what I’m calling. You have too many good reasons, and sometimes I just want to throw it. And with Miguel Olivo, I just don’t get that.” We’re both sitting there, and Olivo is like, “OK, so I’m dumb?” And Zack goes, “Yeah, but I like throwing to you.” Olivo and I were like, “How do we both want to punch him, but we both get it and appreciate his honesty?”

Gosewisch: But when we would get on the airplane, we would have these special cookies that they would always have for us. … Zack would have all of them in his seat, and I’d say by the end of the flight, he’d have about a dozen cookies just crushed while he was on the plane. It was so random. The plane was his space where he could just let it go and just see how many cookies he can possibly eat on the airplane.

Ellis: It’s like the opposite of the Wade Boggs how-many-beers-can-I-drink-on-this-flight story. For Zack, it’s how many cookies can I eat?

Ellis: He took a deep dive in the fantasy football world, and like anything, when Zack gets involved with something, he’s going to be all in. … He took on the persona as Trader Zack, a guy who was constantly chasing down roster reconstruction and making changes. Trader Zack was working the clubhouse.

Avila: He likes that whole GM style of being able to create a team.

Ellis: It was during the middle of his warm-up session in the Dodger Stadium bullpen. At that point it was like 7:03 p.m. All of a sudden he stops throwing and starts walking toward me. So I pop up from behind the plate and meet him halfway. He looks at me and says, “I’ve been thinking.” It could be about anything. He says, “I’ve been thinking. You guys have this quarterback injury issue going on now. I’ve got a ton of quarterbacks on my roster, and I noticed you’ve got a bunch of wide receivers on yours. I think we match up really well so I think you guys should make a trade. We’ll talk about it a little bit later.” Then he totally 180’d and walked back to the mound.

Peña: I told him at the end of the season once, I said, “Zack, listen, I don’t know if I’m going to be back next year, so I want to have something with you. I need a picture of you and I together or a baseball or something.” He goes, “Yeah, Peña, no problem. Of course.” We took a picture and I told him, “Zack, I need you to sign this picture.” He signed the picture: “To Brayan Peña, one of my best friends and a great catcher. Please do not sell this on eBay.”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

The Athletic did a Bill Brasky thing with Greinke and it is pretty great. I'd just post all of these but I had to stop myself.

It's so incredibly good.

Lucroy: We were playing the Reds and we were sitting there going over the hitters. He came and sat down with me and the pitching coach and the other catcher before the game. We’re going over the lineup, and I think we got to Joey Votto and Zack stands up and looks at me and goes, “I don’t agree with anything you’ve said,” and just walked out.

https://theathletic.com/2414947/2021/03/12/zack-greinke-catchers-oral-history/

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

elentar posted:

Nick Markakis is retiring after 15 seasons. He finishes tied for 54th place in career doubles.

Markakis was super consistent, and perpetually underrated by people who undervalue OBP, and made nerds mad when anyone said it'd be cool if he reached 3000 hits. All in all a good career.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

man i was really hoping markakis would get to 3000 hits and thus cause the hall of fame to eat itself

wow yeah he was only *checks notes* 612 hits short

so close, so very close

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I thought Markakis was headed to the next level after turning into a double-or-walk machine in ‘08. Thanks for the fun times, dude. He’ll definitely get added to my Remembered Guys pantheon in like 15 years.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

so close, so very close

he had 2200 after his age 34 season, it was hardly a ridiculous idea at that time

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

so close, so very close

It's been a fun meme for much longer than, say, a pandemic coming around and stealing 2/3 of a season

Also he'd been healthy as a horse until 2019 barring some issues in 2012.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I remember when Greinke was entering his walk year with the Brewers, and the Brewers knew they couldn't afford to re-sign him* so the GM was pondering if Greinke would take a significant discount in exchange for being able to make the Brewer's 3rd round draft pick.

* (or rather, they could, but Owners Are Rapacious Evil Assholes)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 12, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nick was one of my favorite Orioles, godspeed my dude

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

he had 2200 after his age 34 season, it was hardly a ridiculous idea at that time

there are 14 players ever to have got 800 hits from ages 35-39

so unless you think Markakis was going to be playing into his 40s then yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous idea

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

so unless you think Markakis was going to be playing into his 40s then yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous idea

oh man, i had no idea! thanks so much for this

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Not sure why we're pretending that Nick Markakis couldn't be the modern day Jake Daubert

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

:thanks:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The whole rockin cool part of Markakis getting to 3k hits was how absurd it was the 14 guys was part of that ya drat dork.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Why not just list players who got 800 hits from their age 35+ seasons. Of which there are many more including guys who are definitely worse than Markakis

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 12, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Covid definitely robbed some cool players of counting stats. For example it sucks that Bryce Harper's age 27 season was only 60 games.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Julio Cruz posted:

Now do 35+ and there are 64 players meeting the ~763 hits required criteria :v:

EDIT: And if you do this search backwards, Markakis was 60th with 2,237 hits through age 34 season. Short list of an example of people who had less hits than Markakis through age 34:

George Brett
Tony Gwynn
Rafael Palmeiro
Rickey Henderson
Wade Boggs
Paul Molitor
Dave Winfield
Craig Biggio

Not saying he's as good as these players buuuut the dude was super durable before 2019 and then 2020 stole a year and now he's gone. He averaged like 155 games played and 670 PA's. It wasn't an entirely crazy thought.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I would be surprised if Jay Bruce didn't make the Yankees and play a lot.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Kakes had a great career. When he first came to Atlanta, I did not think I'd be this sad about him leaving. Definitely could have gotten 3k in a just world.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
considering how many bad takes there are ITT it's kinda hard to keep track between the ones that people genuinely believe and the ones that are just being ironic

next you'll be telling me that Cubs fans don't actually believe Kyle Schwarber is a good player

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 12, 2021

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey has anyone else had issues with yonder.tv and MLB.tv during Spring Training this year? I could only get it to work on my laptop after disabling yonder and forcing a DHCP renewal, but I dunno if it's just something on my end or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

considering how many bad takes there are ITT it's kinda hard to keep track between the ones that people genuinely believe and the ones that are just being ironic

next you'll be telling me that Cubs fans don't actually believe Kyle Schwarber is a good player

He's only 2.5 stars in OOTP 21, average at best.