Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

I think the only reason people still like it is nostalgia. It's not good.

Independence Day was one of like three movies I had on VHS so I watched it a billion times but I honestly don’t feel that compelled to rewatch it (I thought it was too long even as a teenager).

I also had Speed on VHS but I guess that one still holds up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Independence Day is loving great and I still re-watch it yearly on the 4th of July, and I will cut you if you speak ill of ID4. :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does the Warner Archive sale go live at noon or earlier?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CPL593H posted:

Track 29 is Region 2 only. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The obvious choice is to get a region-free player and go insane with all the options you now have

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Almost Blue posted:

The obvious choice is to get a region-free player and go insane with all the options you now have

I’ve done this but I don’t feel I’m fully exploring my region-free possibilities yet. Any suggestions on where I should be shopping?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Warner Archive sale is up and it looks like SHOPWB15 works as a code for another 15% off.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

This Warner Archive sale is going to absolutely destroy my budget for the month. There are so many 50s musicals that I want to buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think I've finally reached the point in my life where I can say "How much of this poo poo do I really need?".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I think I've finally reached the point in my life where I can say "How much of this poo poo do I really need?".

"More"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm somewhere in the middle. I do buy plenty of movies still, especially since I upgraded to UHD I've been buying just as much as I ever have. But I tend to go after specific movies that I know I want to have in my collection, and there's really nothing in my collection that I haven't watched at least 2 or 3 times. So I don't usually go for these deals where you can get 10 blu rays for $100 or whatever because I just don't really need enough of the movies on offer to make it worth it and I don't buy random stuff that I may or may not ever watch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Criterion is releasing a box set of 7 Wong Kar Wai films. I totally want it, but it's also a lot of money.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4117-world-of-wong-kar-wai

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So many loving sales, are they timing this with the stimulus checks or what? Maybe!

I've gone ahead and bought another book shelf because my first new-home shelf was almost full. In fact, I cancelled the first through Amazon, and even though it was cancelled it... arrived? So now I'm going to have two bookshelves that will probably get filled pretty quick at the rate I'm going.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only buy stuff if I know I'm going to watch it multiple times or if it's unavailable in high quality in a digital format. There are exceptions like getting the Criterion Godzilla set where I'd like to get around to them all some day but probably won't, but overall my collection is probably very small compared to most folks who still gently caress with physical media. I think I've got ~10 UHDs and for the most part they're my all-time favorites which benefit from a perfect presentation. It makes me feel pretty gross to walk into someone else's dork cave and see thousands of decorative movies of poo poo they don't even like.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I blind buy a lot of stuff and try to stick to mostly older films, classics, and niche films. I don't buy recent films a ton though now that I have a uhd player that may change.

I do need to slow down a bit on buying, I'm insanely far behind on watching everything I've purchased, thanks to some of the bigger box sets released the last two years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I only buy stuff if I know I'm going to watch it multiple times or if it's unavailable in high quality in a digital format. There are exceptions like getting the Criterion Godzilla set where I'd like to get around to them all some day but probably won't, but overall my collection is probably very small compared to most folks who still gently caress with physical media. I think I've got ~10 UHDs and for the most part they're my all-time favorites which benefit from a perfect presentation. It makes me feel pretty gross to walk into someone else's dork cave and see thousands of decorative movies of poo poo they don't even like.

I can't find it now but a while back there was a youtube video posted of a guy's movie room and it he had like ten copies of everything because he had to own every wacky edition ever released, even for lovely movies. His wall was covered in flashy collectors editions of stuff he'd never watch. And he clearly spent a ton of money on it, if he cared about the actual movies he could've put that same money into a legitimately great collection but instead he had to have four copies of Resident Evil Apocalypse or whatever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Like, I'm not a "collector", I only buy poo poo that looks interesting and I watch at least 95% of it eventually. Or I buy my favorites that I've seen a bunch and have every intention of seeing again. The other day I ordered Phantom of the Paradise on blu-ray through my library, again, and I thought "the gently caress am I doing, I might as well finally buy a copy".

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve done this but I don’t feel I’m fully exploring my region-free possibilities yet. Any suggestions on where I should be shopping?

Depends on what you want. I've just dipped into really specific movies I want to own that either aren't available in Region A or are only available in a subpar release. So a lot of buying directly from labels like Powerhouse, Arrow, and Eureka. Second Sight and Third Window do good stuff too. As for retailers, DeepDiscount is pretty good. Always has stuff for fairly cheap and pretty much always has coupons active too.

King Vidiot posted:

Like, I'm not a "collector", I only buy poo poo that looks interesting and I watch at least 95% of it eventually. Or I buy my favorites that I've seen a bunch and have every intention of seeing again. The other day I ordered Phantom of the Paradise on blu-ray through my library, again, and I thought "the gently caress am I doing, I might as well finally buy a copy".

God, there's so much poo poo that I borrow from friends or get from the library so often that I really should just own a copy of it. I watch Halloween for Halloween every single year and still don't own a copy of it.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 12, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Warner Archive sale is up and it looks like SHOPWB15 works as a code for another 15% off.

Fantastic, thanks!

I got:
The Satanic Rites of Dracula
Out of the Past
Village of the Damned
The Curse of Frankenstein

$43.57 shipped. Amazing deal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

I consider myself a collector, but that doesn't mean I want every movie in existence. I'm "collecting" the movies that I personally want to have at my fingertips at all times, there just happens to be like 500 of them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I consider myself a collector, but that doesn't mean I want every movie in existence. I'm "collecting" the movies that I personally want to have at my fingertips at all times, there just happens to be like 500 of them.

Same. I only buy movies I like/love or, if I haven't seen it, am extremely interested in. Though I confess they often sit on my shelf a long time before I get to them. But still my collection reflects my personal tastes pretty accurately.

e: to use the purchase I just made as an example. Curse, Village and Out of the Past are three I've seen and loved but haven't gotten a chance to buy yet. Satanic Rites of Dracula is a blind buy, but I've seen most of the other Lee Dracula films and enjoy the hell out of them, so this is a safe buy for me.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know why some movies are excluded from the Warner Archive sale? At first I thought it was recent releases being excluded but Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Supergirl both came out years ago.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Did you ever get Tammy and the T-Rex

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
If anyone's looking for a recommendation of an off-the-radar movie in the WB Shop sale worth getting, I absolutely love Stealing Home, starring Jodie Foster and Mark Harmon. Hugely underrated, but beloved by those who love it. Just one of those emotional movies that really rocks you if you open yourself up to it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I occasionally blind-buy stuff but it’s usually either things I was recommended by one of you guys, or a movie I’m very confident I’ll like, or a movie I was interested in and was literally cheaper to buy it than it was to rent it.

I’ve got a big backlog of discs I need to watch, but they’re all movies I’ve seen and enjoyed somewhere else before. I don’t buy movies just to buy movies, I joke that “there are no bad movies in my collection”.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I never want to spend $44 on anything, gimme a 2 for $22 sale, dagnabbit.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Ended up getting:

Body Snatchers
Days of Wine and Roses
The Drowning Pool
Finian's Rainbow
The Green Slime
Harper
Innocent Blood
A Little Romance (for my brother)
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Seven Days in May
Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol 2
The Thing from Another World
Wait Until Dark
Wolfen

There were a couple of others I wanted to get but I decided that it was okay to pass on them for now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

caligulamprey posted:

You may have to check, but I was just getting an $11/per deal in my cart regardless. I bought 14 things and they all had the sale price.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You may have to check, but I was just getting an $11/per deal in my cart regardless. I bought 14 things and they all had the sale price.

I think you have to have at least four items, then each additional item is $11.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Did you ever get Tammy and the T-Rex

What's Tammy and the T-Rex?

caligulamprey posted:

As someone who posts in a different physical media thread with you I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

As someone who posts in a different physical media thread with you I'm calling shenanigans on this.

There's another one?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think you have to have at least four items, then each additional item is $11.

Aww dang it, I thought it was four-at-a-time before you get the discount, I didn't know I could get more for the same discount. Not that I needed more than 4 so :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

There's another one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644&pagenumber=711#lastpost

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oh no! No, no, no

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

There's another one?

Also there's a thread in Deals.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh no! No, no, no

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

It's really only a matter of time, because my roommate's inheriting her dad's record player from the 70's, and all the records associated with it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Showdown In Little Tokyo is also a fantastic blind buy from the Warner sale. Just an absolute bonkers and intensely homoerotic 80s/90s action movie that’s like 78 minutes long.

Ended up getting After The Thin Man, Key Largo, Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula AD 1972.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's really only a matter of time, because my roommate's inheriting her dad's record player from the 70's, and all the records associated with it.

I hope she likes absurdly overpriced hobbies at the absolute worst time to start!

Libera te tutemet ex inferis.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 14, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

I hope she likes absurdly overpriced hobbies at the absolute worst time to start!

This can't be emphasized enough. Vinyl's kinda cool, but paying $30 for obsolete century-old tech makes me feel icky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

This can't be emphasized enough. Vinyl's kinda cool, but paying $30 for obsolete century-old tech makes me feel icky.

Price have been going out of control for the last several years. Back in the earlier days of my collection you could get all kinds of awesome poo poo for 5-10 bucks all day every day. Now those 5-10 dollar records are 20-40. And this isn't rare poo poo, these are albums that sold millions of copies. After the lockdowns those kind of prices got even higher. It's completely loving ridiculous. A new LP use to be about 15 bucks now that same stuff is 25-30. Ebay scalpers and price speculators sucked all the fun out of it. I want to go back to when record collectors were just autistic weirdos like me and old guys who still smoke weed. I really hope the bubble bursts, but I've been saying that poo poo for like six or seven years.

It's an even bigger waste of money if you don't get decent equipment, which most people won't. You don't have to spend a fortune or anything but if you plan on getting a hundred dollar turntable from Target don't even waste your time. And that's not to say you can't get something nice for a hundred bucks, you just have to go to a record store or somewhere that sells vintage refurbs. And if you're getting one of those built in speaker suitcase things, just open you window and throw money out of it because maybe someone else will find it and spend it on something useful. Aside from sounding like poo poo, they actually damage the records.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 14, 2021