Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Hmmmmm

*Opens up List_Of_Things_That_Are_Good.txt*
*Adds "Hostage Taking*

Got it, thank you!

traditionally speaking when you have a list of huge demands having hostages tends to help, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Yinlock posted:

This is true, but it doesn't refute my point. To the elite and especially someone as petty as Pelosi that's already an unforgivable offense

Not disagreeing with you or trying to refute it. Just adding to it, comrade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

not looking forward to q1 2022 where joe biden doubles child poverty :(

I dunno, thankfully nothing major will be happening in Q2 2022 so we have time to recover.

What's that? midterms?!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

children need a little poverty, it builds character

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah if the party refuses to put minimum wage into the bill and you go along with it, that's just giving the game away

You don't just have to be willing to take hostages, you need to be willing to shoot them

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ben shapino posted:

children need a little poverty, it builds character

kids can have a little cage, as a treat

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean yeah if the party refuses to put minimum wage into the bill and you go along with it, that's just giving the game away

You don't just have to be willing to take hostages, you need to be willing to shoot them

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shooting the hostage is what the cops do.
If you're the hostage-taker, you need to be willing to send little pieces of the hostage home by courier. Really draw it out, make a spectacle of it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JerryBuchko/status/1370027264029515777

So this is the page linked in that tweet:

https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/news-internal/2021/presidential-policy/biden-economic-relief-proposal-poverty-impact

if you go to the PDF, you'll find this:

so I used the Wayback Machine and picked out a snapshot from March 2, 2021: http://web.archive.org/web/20210302...-poverty-impact

On the second page of the paper, we find this:

But if you go back to the live version of the paper:

???

no minimum wage!

EDIT: To be clear, the note does make it clear that they updated the paper to reflect the effects of only the things the bill is actually doing. I'm not accusing the authors of necessarily trying to HIDE the minimum wage point. I'm saying they had to revise the numbers downwards once they took it out.

what i get from this is that, according to their formula, a min wage increase has so neglible an effect on child poverty that it barely changes their numbers when they take it out. curious, that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

This is true, but it doesn't refute my point. To the elite and especially someone as petty as Pelosi that's already an unforgivable offense

Yeah one of the biggest bad dems crimes isn't not working within the party machine or taking marching orders from big donors / DNC establishment leadership.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

Not disagreeing with you or trying to refute it. Just adding to it, comrade.

that's fair

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

U-DO Burger posted:

what i get from this is that, according to their formula, a min wage increase has so neglible an effect on child poverty that it barely changes their numbers when they take it out. curious, that

Yeah that's my takeaway too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I honestly don't think AOC and the rest of the Squad are as cynical as some of yall think they are - I think they genuinely believe they're doing their best, and that cheerleading Biden's milquetoast bandaid policies is what "dragging him left" looks like. I say this because they're human and humans don't consciously discard their ideals so easily - rather they justify why their current failure to live up to those ideals isn't actually failure.

though tbh I don't know which would be worse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

what i get from this is that whoever made that poo poo is some hack whose primary concern is to create ideological justifications for whatever the shitlibs decide to do

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JerryBuchko/status/1370027264029515777

So this is the page linked in that tweet:

https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/news-internal/2021/presidential-policy/biden-economic-relief-proposal-poverty-impact

if you go to the PDF, you'll find this:

so I used the Wayback Machine and picked out a snapshot from March 2, 2021: http://web.archive.org/web/20210302...-poverty-impact

On the second page of the paper, we find this:

But if you go back to the live version of the paper:

???

no minimum wage!

EDIT: To be clear, the note does make it clear that they updated the paper to reflect the effects of only the things the bill is actually doing. I'm not accusing the authors of necessarily trying to HIDE the minimum wage point. I'm saying they had to revise the numbers downwards once they took it out.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol so they just took out the minimum wage which was used in their study and didn't change the calculations at all.

so basically the 50% reduction is just made up and not based on anything
lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You're telling me an economist made a bunch of poo poo up for his paper?!?! Holy poo poo I'm shocked, absolutely shocked at this

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look, the talking point is that this bill will cut child poverty in half, and so they'll just revise the study to say that the final bill will do so

bing bong so simple, that's how science works, right?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I honestly don't think AOC and the rest of the Squad are as cynical as some of yall think they are - I think they genuinely believe they're doing their best, and that cheerleading Biden's milquetoast bandaid policies is what "dragging him left" looks like. I say this because they're human and humans don't consciously discard their ideals so easily - rather they justify why their current failure to live up to those ideals isn't actually failure.

yeah but i don't loving care

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't really care what's in AOC's true heart the reality is her role is to tell her younger audience that the same tepid centrism and trust in the leadership's lack of action that has led to their current predicament is the solution to their problem just using twitch and twitter to do it instead of cable news. It doesn't matter to me any more than when Trump fans were telling me in 2016 he wasn't REALLY racist it was just the results of the policies he supported that ended up being racist so it wasn't fair to label him as such.

Result are all that matter and divining intentions is a waste of time.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

etalian posted:

Lmao it still makes me laugh how watering down the bill in the Senate + House didn't lead to a single GOP vote.

It's like failing the basics of negotiation 101

THE DEMOCRATS!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

Intentions don't matter

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the most important takeaway imo is that it only looks at poverty in 2021

yeah, a $15 minimum wage that doesnt fully kick in for 5 years isnt gonna have a major impact in 2021

but also if you calculated the numbers for 2022 it would certainly show a massive return to poverty, and calculating another 5+ years would make it obvious that the minimum wage increase would have been the most impactful piece

dont worry though, im sure republicans will forget about this in 2022 and wont be running ads about child poverty doubling under biden

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

progressives caving and supporting centrist policies just signals to the establishment that they have no teeth

there's no "pushing left"

who cares what AOC thinks, what matters is what she does, and she's capitulating more and more

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobertCahaly/status/1370353984679124996

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Intentions don't matter

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't care either tbh I'm just thinking out loud

I just find the concept of the "I am as far left as reasonably possible" person incredibly fascinating - there's always an excuse for why the reactionary thing they're doing is actually good leftist activism, and why the good leftist activism you're doing is actually reactionary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1370414079299497991?s=19

quote:

McCammond apologised for her tweets in 2019, calling them "deeply insensitive". But after her appointment at Teen Vogue last week, the posts resurfaced, leading to a backlash. They were published on Instagram on Monday by journalist Diane Tsui.

"Outdone by [an] Asian #whatsnew," read one of McCammond's earlier tweets.

"Give me a 2/10 on my chem [chemistry] problem, cross out all of my work and don't explain what I did wrong… thanks a lot stupid Asian T.A [teaching assistant] you're great," read another.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the barrage of "Warnock promised $2k checks and lied" is gonna be awesome

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Looks like some voters don't understand math, lets call them dumb gently caress idiots until they do.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just found out my Republican relatives still think they are getting $2000 checks lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

the barrage of "Warnock promised $2k checks and lied" is gonna be awesome

not as awesome as all the libs blaming georgia voters for being stupid and bad at math (and deserve bad things happening to them) when warnock loses

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Just found out my Republican relatives still think they are getting $2000 checks lol

they'll be sure to vote democratic when they get $1400

because of the savings to the national budget

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

personally ill be waiting for the takes that georgias too racist for warnock and hoping nobody notices that herschel walker is black

the chuds are salivating at the possibility of him running nobody likes perdue or loeffler and a senate football caucus would indisputedly be a trump innovation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

Flaveius said in another thread keeping him around is good as a foil

I love having a racist warmonger around as a foil.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

next up tom brady takes elizabeth warrens senate seat because why not hes already won everything else

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

https://youtu.be/uy9Z-Tg6ufU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also lmao at painframe forum banning gaupo before our own dipshit mods

Lmfao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

There is a man who wanted to give us 2K checks. Who fought against Joe Biden's candidacy. A man who always, always remembered Sailor.

:wrong:

Sanders wanted to do $2,500 checks. Monthly.

oh well i'm sure bdien ain't that bad rofl

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this year old tweet makes me livid tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Nichael posted:

:wrong:

Sanders wanted to do $2,500 checks. Monthly.

oh well i'm sure bdien ain't that bad rofl

um excuse me, i think you missed that joe boden in the most progressive and kindly man in all of history and hes my dad and i love him