Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 23rd, 1940

Axa

That is a drat fine goblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Drakyn posted:

This is actually historically accurate: up until the 1950s or so most Americans were plagued with frail and rickety skeletons thanks to growing up taking opium and wood alcohol for head colds, and unsightly 'bone spasms' or 'skeleton pops' were common occurrences without careful and consistent lounging. Still, even Out Our Way and Gay and Her Gang's depictions of these troubles pale in comparison to the brutal realism on display in Toonerville Folks, where it can be seen that almost every single person in town older than an infant has their knees permanently locked like they're about to squat on an invisible chair.

People primarily familiar with comics that are still around today might know this condition as "Dagwood knees".

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1944)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was going to complain about bad zoology in Kevin and Kell again, but instead:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

First, "abacus school" just strikes me as a funny turn of phrase. Not, you know, math class, but abacus school. Second, like the non time travelling kids aren't going to make faces on their abacuses either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

RoboRodent posted:

I was going to complain about bad zoology in Kevin and Kell again, but instead:

First, "abacus school" just strikes me as a funny turn of phrase. Not, you know, math class, but abacus school. Second, like the non time travelling kids aren't going to make faces on their abacuses either.

Maybe it's remedial abacus for people who grew up without them

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/10/01

Brenda Starr 1/20/46

Smokey Stover 11/19/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

This is a parody of the classic song "Animal Fair."

The FFA, or Future Farmers of America, is a club for rural kids that teaches agricultural skills, such as raising livestock.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Jeffy's face here sells it.

And He Did! (April 5, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 7, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 26, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 18, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 18, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 9, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (January 4, 1948)

Those Were the Days (January 31, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 9, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 9, 1965)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nope, didn't skip a strip. Yesterday Bern was all hunched over and huddling away from us, as if traumatized. Today she's perky and smiling and waving her phone around. Nothing in between.

Way to write a story, Evanses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bernice is someone who experiences crippling anxiety in situations she feels are out of her control, and also someone who is genuinely excited by authority figures - either being one or their arrival - because she associates authority with the power to control situations and thereby alleviate her mental distress.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
nvm Luann sucks again

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ugh. of course.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Jeez, those little poems in the title area suck. "Why are you SAD? Have you tried WORKING? Or NOT BEING SAD?"

Footrot Flats

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (September 18, 1935)

Okay that is very good

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/11/01

Brenda Starr 1/21-23/46

Smokey Stover 11/26/39

Dammit, Big Hungry Ed

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

riderchop posted:

nvm Luann sucks again

That's the secret. It always sucked.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Summary about the stuff that the comic skipped:
-Larsson is a merchant and therefore loves peace time, because it's good for business and wants to have good relations with the Russians.
-Governor Frölich, who we saw earlier, is an old soldier and wants to return Swedish glory and a new war with Russia.
-When Larsson is elected as a representative and prepares to travel to Stockholm, governor gets his henchman fiscal Spolin to hinder Larsson.

-As explained here, Spolin hired outlaws to forge tin coins and hid them in Larsson's ship to prevent his departure, but Ester's questioning makes him to stop his inspections.
-It's not really explained why Ester was in the forest in the middle of the night.
-When Lauri tells the outlaws that Bertelsköld is Strong Major's son, he also declares that "He will give you a war!" (because they are bored by peace times and want to kill Russkies) which I don't really understand, but we'll see.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (January 4, 1948)

Holy Moly that camel toe on the paper doll.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (February 7-11, 2000)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows JAPANESE DIGITAL PERRRRRM!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This took me a while to get because zeus+naked woman+shower already has a story associated with it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I never realized how much of this strip is phoebe being racist to marigold's friends.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ikanreed posted:

I never realized how much of this strip is phoebe being racist to marigold's friends.

There was an older strip where Phoebe got back from like a magical creatures gathering and said she heard a whole bunch of new insults she can use and her mom says something like "Are you SURE they're not like, magical racism?"

EDIT:

Found it:

Also found this in the process:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 12, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gotta love how granny here is always one hair's breadth away from murdering Kevin and Lindesfarne. Even in her conversation with ghost grandpa, she admits she'd love to eat Kevin.

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows JAPANESE DIGITAL PERRRRRM!

I've been giving this a try, but Circus Windows isn't really grabbing me, sadly. Most of it is just Mildred and Lottie talking with each other, and as much as I like them, they really need to interact with more weirdos for the mystery to shine. Compare this to Wen-Tack, where Mildred and Milton have the new Mystery Kids to bounce off.

I assume Circus Windows would probably read better once the story's done and you can view all the pages at your leisure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Nope, didn't skip a strip. Yesterday Bern was all hunched over and huddling away from us, as if traumatized. Today she's perky and smiling and waving her phone around. Nothing in between.

You know, if it was any other character, I feel like I could see this being a "oh god I thought I saw someone I know killed and now that I'm done freaking out I don't feel like I can look at them right now because I'm still actually freaking out" thing.

But this is Bernice, so she's clearly just getting off on being the one In Control And Adult.

The Dinette Set might want to crack a window.

Working Daze gets meta about lazy character building.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a sign of the times.

Cul De Sac isn't helping.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Julet Esqu posted:

Ok, it's annoying because Bernice is actually doing a good here. Tara was hit by a car and should be examined by a doctor or paramedic or someone. Definitely get that knee checked out.

But because this is a poo poo comic, it's going to be about the EMTs fawning over Bernice because she's having a meltdown and Bernice turning herself inside-out because she looked at and was touched by a hot EMT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder which firefighters will show up

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It will turn out that she can't afford the hospital bills, that her cousin has an alibi and people to back it up, and that because she was sleeping there the restaurant insurance is null and void and they can't even burn it down for the fraud any more.

TJ wil weep for the lost possibilities.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

amigolupus posted:

I've been giving this a try, but Circus Windows isn't really grabbing me, sadly. Most of it is just Mildred and Lottie talking with each other, and as much as I like them, they really need to interact with more weirdos for the mystery to shine. Compare this to Wen-Tack, where Mildred and Milton have the new Mystery Kids to bounce off.

I assume Circus Windows would probably read better once the story's done and you can view all the pages at your leisure.

Even as a fan of all things SGR and Achewood most of Circus Windows has been word salad with almost literally nothing happening and no stakes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Even as a fan of all things SGR and Achewood most of Circus Windows has been word salad with almost literally nothing happening and no stakes.

I like the new character designs but that's about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

I like the new character designs but that's about it.

They are good but the Bad Machinery art is better imo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Bloop posted:

They are good but the Bad Machinery art is better imo

Yeah, this new story lacks whatever bad machinery had. I don't really care for the style tbh.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
As someone who just started paying attention to those comics, I can’t say i don’t enjoy Circus Windows. I really like the art and color, but the story is, definitely lacking.

Like, we the readers know that something is going on, since that guy got roughed up, but as far as they know, the circus has procured a way to put up posters at random places.

Sssssssssooooooooo?

Regarding Luann, I’d like to point out that Bernice manages to start all her sentences with “I” in that whole strip. I found that to be pretty funny and not the least bit surprising.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (May 18, 1990)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

:getin: