Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s kinda funny to see how they view western pregnancy as being like a free for all without any aid because when I was doing my OB training one of the teachers said “just remember if you’re ever terrified and don’t know what to do there’s probably a lady in the Congo or something just squatting under a tree and if she can survive so can your patients.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s kinda funny to see how they view western pregnancy as being like a free for all without any aid because when I was doing my OB training one of the teachers said “just remember if you’re ever terrified and don’t know what to do there’s probably a lady in the Congo or something just squatting under a tree and if she can survive so can your patients.”

A lot of people with access to state of the art (and free) healthcare do this in a bathtub at home.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WarpedNaba posted:

I mean that's kinda gross, pregnant or no. Do it in the bathroom.

I got a nicer trash can and my bathroom has bad lighting.

This cutting thing is not just nails, I can't use scissors too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget the ultimate Chinese Pregnancy do: Fly to the USA/Canada when heavily pregnant so the baby can gain citizenship by birthright.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Blistex posted:

A lot of people with access to state of the art (and free) healthcare do this in a bathtub at home.

Infant mortality rate in Netherland is basically double thanks to stuff like that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

I read a paper a few years back about a rise in cases of newborns catching legionnaires disease and other terrible illnesses because a bunch of morons decided that a home water birth was just more natural and decided to use their hot tubs to do it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Blistex posted:

I mean, my little brother was born in a bathtub in New Zealand. I never did ask about the reasons, I just put it down to mom being a bit of a flower child..

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I read a paper a few years back about a rise in cases of newborns catching legionnaires disease and other terrible illnesses because a bunch of morons decided that a home water birth was just more natural and decided to use their hot tubs to do it.
I hope they at least let the baby smoke a cigar afterwards to relax.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.newsweek.com/dolphin-assisted-childbirth-bad-idea-369108

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dolphin's gonna steal and/or eat the baby

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, dolphins are fuckin’ psycho as hell. The woo woo stuff around them is so annoying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
There's a reason those open-water dolphinariums in the Caribbean only have females.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/09/chinas-appetite-for-meat-fades-as-vegan-revolution-takes-hold

quote:

China’s appetite for meat fades as vegan revolution takes hold
Concerns over carbon emissions and food crises are fuelling a move away from meat consumption as a symbol of wealth

A person walks past an advertisement for plant-based products at a KFC store in Hangzhou
An advertisement for plant-based products at a KFC store in Hangzhou. International and domestic chains are expanding their range of meat alternatives. Photograph: VCG/Getty Images
Crystal Reid
Tue 9 Mar 2021 05.07 EST

The window of a KFC in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou hosts the image of a familiar mound of golden nuggets. But this overflowing bucket sporting Colonel Sanders’ smiling face is slightly different. The bucket is green and the nuggets within it are completely meat free.

Over the last couple of years, after many years of rising meat consumption by China’s expanding middle classes for whom eating pork every day was a luxurious sign of new financial comforts, the green shoots of a vegan meat revolution have begun to sprout. Although China still consumes 28% of the world’s meat, including half of all pork, and boasts a meat market valued at $86bn (£62bn), plant-based meat substitutes are slowing carving out a place for themselves among a new generation of consumers increasingly alarmed by food crises such as coronavirus and African swine fever.

China’s most cosmopolitan cities are now home to social media groups, websites and communities dedicated to meat-free lifestyles. VegeRadar, for example, has compiled comprehensive maps of vegetarian and vegan restaurants all across China. According to a report by the Good Food Institute, China’s plant-based meat market was estimated at 6.1bn yuan (£675m) in 2018 and projected to grow between 20 and 25% annually.

Yun Fanwei, a 25-year-old student from Shanghai, is one of a new breed of vegetarians hungry for more options. “I buy some of these fake meat products and a lot of them are pretty good. They don’t necessarily taste like meat, but it makes a nice change from tofu,” she said.

Eating meat has been closely connected with the growing affluence of China. In the 1960s, the average Chinese person consumed 5kg of meat a year. This had shot up to 20kg by the time of former leader Deng Xiaoping’s “reform and opening” of the late 1970s, and to 48kg by 2015.

A woman removes her mask to smell the meat at a farmer’s market
A woman smells meat before buying it at Xihua farmer’s market in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. After the coronavirus outbreak China brought in new regulations on the trade and consumption of wild animals. Photograph: Alex Plavevski/EPA
But in 2016, as part of its pledge to bring down carbon emissions, the Chinese government outlined a plan to cut the country’s meat intake by 50%. It was a radical move, and so far very few other governments around the world have included meat consumption in their carbon-reduction plans.

The new guidelines, which called on citizens to consume just 40-75g of meat a day, were promoted with a series of public information adverts featuring the actor Arnold Schwarzenegger and director James Cameron. Since then there have been few other concrete steps taken, other than the president, Xi Jinping, last August launching a “clean plate campaign” aimed at reducing the “shocking and distressing” 40% of food that goes straight from Chinese dinner tables into the bin. Some commentators speculated that asking Chinese citizens to reduce their meat consumption was felt to be particularly unpopular.

But alternative proteins are seen as a possible route forwards. Last year at the annual “two sessions” parliament, Sun Baoguo, a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, called for more investment in and regulation and promotion of artificial meat.

Some of the biggest international chains operating in China have been quick to bet on the growth of alternative meats. KFC is now selling vegan chicken nuggets, Burger King is offering an Impossible Whopper, and Starbucks is serving Beyond Meat pastas, salads and wraps.

But domestic companies are setting up shop too, betting that state backing will come soon, not least because the government may see alternative proteins as a way to let citizens continue to have the “luxury” of meat while also moving towards its carbon-reduction goals. That optimism has led to several Chinese competitors entering the market alongside international powerhouses such as Cargill, Unilever and Nestlé, as well as the vegan meat poster-children Impossible and Beyond.

Packets of plant-based omnipork on sale at a grocery store
Packets of plant-based OmniPork on sale at a Green Common plant-based grocery store in Hong Kong. Photograph: Getty Images
OmniFoods, which launched in Hong Kong in 2018, is one of a band of regional startups jostling for market share, having recently opened a multi-brand vegan shop and restaurant in Shanghai and secured its signature product, OmniPork, in McDonald’s in Hong Kong and Aldi, White Castle and Starbucks on the mainland. The company, which plans to operate in 13 countries this year, also just completed its UK soft launch for Veganuary, during which OmniPork was turned into everything from scotch eggs to Korean bibimbap at participating restaurants.

The OmniFoods founder, David Yeung, hopes the opening of a China-based factory next year will help bring down the price of his products. Plant-based proteins currently cost much more than their meat counterparts, a major barrier when it comes to getting China’s notoriously thrifty shoppers to make the switch. “Obviously minimising logistics and middle parties and creating economies of scale will have a big impact on the value chain. As we cut these expenses in China, we foresee a significant price drop,” Yeung said.

Shanghai-based Z-Rou produces a plant-based mince substitute which is already in the canteens of some of China’s top international schools, hospitals and businesses. Its CEO, Franklin Yao, is targeting opinion leaders and middle-class consumers who can afford to make conscious choices. “They would even be willing to pay more as they know they’re getting a healthier product that’s helping ensure the future of the planet their children are inheriting. That’s priceless.”

A chef makes spaghetti bolognese with plant-based OmniPork as David Yeung, the co-founder and co-chief executive officer of Green Monday, looks on at the Kind Kitchen restaurant in Hong Kong.
A chef makes spaghetti bolognese with plant-based OmniPork as David Yeung, the co-founder and co-chief executive officer of Green Monday, looks on at the Kind Kitchen restaurant in Hong Kong. Photograph: Paul Yeung/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Other China players include Zhenmeat, which makes plant-based beef, pork and crayfish, and Starfield, whose seaweed-based mince alternative has been turned into dishes at some of China’s leading restaurant chains.

Yao admits the industry is still very small in China but he thinks meat-free substitutes will become mainstream very soon. “Chinese consumers are actively looking for more sustainable products. While the link between meat and the environment is still weak among the majority of the population, the interest is there and China learns fast.”

But weaning people off meat may prove harder than some of these companies would like to think. “I’ve tried a vegetarian braised pork dish before but it’s not the same as real meat,” said 64-year-old retiree Bao Gege. “The taste, texture and nutritional values are not comparable. I wouldn’t try it again, even if it was cheaper than meat.”

Any china goons able to unpack this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you too can get poo poo like this published if you fork over 25 grand usd or like 80 grand rmb to pr peeps

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Now I'm hungry

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Called it!

China can't sustain its meat consumption because pork, beef, chicken, and mutton are very carbon intensive and you need an order of magnitude more feed for every kg of meat you produce.

They've cleaned out fish stocks in the SCS and are doing likewise around the world. They need to get the most efficiency out of their remaining farmland, and feeding produce to "potential food isn't sustainable for them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also the price of pork went up like 75% or something in the last 18 months

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Tri-Optimum OmniPork Feedpacks are even more expensive. I just want my clone vatmeat instead of these fake replacements, man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reads like a thinly veiled puff piece.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

The Tri-Optimum OmniPork Feedpacks are even more expensive. I just want my clone vatmeat instead of these fake replacements, man.

you can get clone vatmeat chicken nuggets if you are in an extremely bougie eating club in spore

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
It's also super dumb. It's really easy to be vegetarian in China because those dishes are both good and cheap.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can get clone vatmeat chicken nuggets if you are in an extremely bougie eating club in spore

I heard spore sucked rear end so I never played it.

Darkest Auer posted:

It's also super dumb. It's really easy to be vegetarian in China because those dishes are both good and cheap.

Well, it's really easy to eat mainly vegetables. Vegetarian food with no meat whatsoever requires some effort to find, at least in Chengdu.

I got made fun of by Chinese people quite a bit for ordering vegetable dishes at restaurants since that's apparently acting poor. To which I pointed out I wasn't acting poor, I was poor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

But yeah Chinese veggies rule. China and India are the two places I could happily be a vegetarian.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

But yeah Chinese veggies rule. China and India are the two places I could happily be a vegetarian.

you say this and I just now notice the chicken n cheese tag.....

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

No shade on vegetables, but every and all Asian street food chef turns me into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n9wYUmlJM

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 12, 2021

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Darkest Auer posted:

The main issue probably the oil food is cooked in, rather than the food itself.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

South Indian Vegetarian food is quite literally the food of the gods.

I weep for those whose only experience of Indian cuisine is Chicken Tikka Masala, or Beef Vindaloo.

The best food I have ever had in my life was a Masal Dosa at a dusty street vendor somewhere on the road between Chennai and Bengalaru.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

also the price of pork went up like 75% or something in the last 18 months

The Brazil soybean crop this year was also complete rear end which is where something like 90%of the sillage and feed for Chinese cattle in the winter comes from so that's going to make things rough in terms of price and supply.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The junk collector posted:

The Brazil soybean crop this year was also complete rear end which is where something like 90%of the sillage and feed for Chinese cattle in the winter comes from so that's going to make things rough in terms of price and supply.

i like to think that there's some forum or subreddit or twitter subculture out there currently awash with memes about the inferior quality of the 2020/2021 brazilian soybean crop

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

It reduces the meat imports from Australia and America, two countries that China is currently fighting a trade war with.

No idea if that is the real reason. Beef prices have surged recently, so it might just be damage control.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Blistex posted:

No why.

My wife was a little disappointed because he couldn't fit into a lot of the newborn clothes she bought.

For sale: baby shoes, never worn

(because of his gigantic feet)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This might be a good thread to ask...

Latin America hosed up (as always), and can't produce AstraZeneca vaccine yet, and has no access to the good Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. The only options left were late purchases of Chinese and Russian vaccines.
So how trustworthy are the Sinovac/Cansino vaccines?

All I keep hearing about is how opaque the dev process and trials were, it was tested on military only or something, etc...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China didn't release any testing data, but some other countries have tested it. Their vaccine is far less effective than the mRNA ones (~50% vs 95%+) but it works and doesn't appear to be unsafe or anything. I wouldn't take it if I had access to the superior vaccines, but I would if it were my only option.

I don't know anything about the Russian one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Russian vaccine is actually supposed to be pretty good, like 90% efficacy. The concerns with it were just that Russia said gently caress it and pushed out a bunch of doses before doing proper testing. Although now that that is done and over with it seems like it’s safe and good.

Oh and there’s a better chance it’s actually the vaccine in the vial and not industrial waste like the Chinese one.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This might be a good thread to ask...

Latin America hosed up (as always), and can't produce AstraZeneca vaccine yet, and has no access to the good Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. The only options left were late purchases of Chinese and Russian vaccines.
So how trustworthy are the Sinovac/Cansino vaccines?

All I keep hearing about is how opaque the dev process and trials were, it was tested on military only or something, etc...

Both the Russian and Chinese vaccine are based of roughly similar technology to the Oxford one, but not as good (IIRC they both use human adenoviruses as vectors for the vaccine, which people have a higher chance of resisting than the chimpanzee adenovirus in the Oxford one). There's some data on both (moreso the russian one) and they both are safe, but equal or lower effectiveness to Oxford. Russia and China both have enough competent scientists to make a vaccine, so there's no reason to think they won't work -although chinese quality control is notorious for a reason.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Everything I’ve heard from doctors a work is basically that the Chinese one is safe but it just doesn’t actually protect you all the great.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Russian vaccine is actually supposed to be pretty good, like 90% efficacy. The concerns with it were just that Russia said gently caress it and pushed out a bunch of doses before doing proper testing. Although now that that is done and over with it seems like it’s safe and good.

Oh and there’s a better chance it’s actually the vaccine in the vial and not industrial waste like the Chinese one.
That was my view on Sputnik; it's a clever design and I'm glad it works, but the campaign essentially is the test and things could have gone so much worse.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

That was my view on Sputnik; it's a clever design and I'm glad it works, but the campaign essentially is the test and things could have gone so much worse.

Yeah it was a big gamble on human life but it worked.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Speaking of Chinese vaccines and playing politics with human lives, the CCP has got you covered.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-13/china-eases-visa-rules-for-foreigners-who-get-chinese-vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah it was a big gamble on human life but it worked.

Right. At this point it seems like it's been safe as confirmed by not-Russian-government sources having time to study it's effects. And it seems to work - it was just released without proper testing.

The Sinovac vaccine is dramatically less effective, but doesn't seem to be killing people in any notable way. Better than nothing but nearly half as effective as the other options.