Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Depends what you can get for that 2 hour block. If it involves swapping out stems/saddles and changing seat and stem height that does actually take a fair bit of time.

If its just 2 hours on one of the laser tracking machines thats a bit long for the benefit you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

Depends what you can get for that 2 hour block. If it involves swapping out stems/saddles and changing seat and stem height that does actually take a fair bit of time.

If its just 2 hours on one of the laser tracking machines thats a bit long for the benefit you get.

Or looking at gait, for strength imbalances, talking about past injuries etc

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder how much of the routing problems are caused by exactly the kind of person who would set routing to
avoid major highways before his weekend ride, and then use his garmin as cheap car satnav the rest of the week.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

DevCore posted:

Is there a reason why bike fitments are booked for two hours?
Most places here in Austin want $300 for a two hour block.

Edit: I'm in the wrong business.

I'm also in austin and saw similar prices.

Could you share if you pick a fitter, and what your experience is? I've been wanting to get a fitment done also.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or looking at gait, for strength imbalances, talking about past injuries etc

Yeah it really depends on what they're doing and I can see 2 hours as a minimum for a proper full depth bike fit.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Guinness posted:

Totally, and I get what you're saying, but when Google or Strava routes me down Rainier Ave between Beacon Hill & Columbia City, statistically the most dangerous major street in Seattle for vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians because it's practically a highway without bike lanes or even a shoulder, then something has gone off the rails. Especially when there are multiple parallel streets with bike lanes and local-access-only greenways a block or two away.

I'll ride in traffic and take the lane with the best of them, but sometimes the automatic bike routing is just objectively wrong IMO.

Totally agree with you on this. I'm surprised Strava would route you on there, especially if you use the "prefer heatmap" option.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I don't know if there's any routing algorithm that uses a heatmap and can tell the difference between 2400 riders over a one hour period versus 10 riders every hour for 10 days straight and why one would be preferable over the other.

Around where I live one big event is all it takes for a road to light up like a beacon. It doesn't take much to poison a heatmap and route someone to unsafe territory.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DevCore posted:

Is there a reason why bike fitments are booked for two hours?
Most places here in Austin want $300 for a two hour block.

Edit: I'm in the wrong business.

That’s what I paid for a Retul fitting in Austin. New saddle, new stem, etc. It took the full 2 hours.

Now that I have my fit pretty dialed in, my new bike fitting took maybe an hour. I had a pretty good idea on what I’d need and it didn’t take much adjustments.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I don't know if there's any routing algorithm that uses a heatmap and can tell the difference between 2400 riders over a one hour period versus 10 riders every hour for 10 days straight and why one would be preferable over the other.

Around where I live one big event is all it takes for a road to light up like a beacon. It doesn't take much to poison a heatmap and route someone to unsafe territory.

This is a very good point.

Also, routes that get a TON of use on the weekend but would be atrocious during the week.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

theres certain roads that loving blow during commuter hour but are totally awesome in the middle of the weekday

so so so many sunday drivers out these days too, weekends get sketchy on scenic roads

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Strava route builder is pretty funny because they don’t care about one way roads and will happily create a route that is impossible.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crumps Brother posted:

2400 riders over a one hour period

It wouldn't be hard to cap number of rides per time bucket, for assessments around usability/ feasibility instead of popularity.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Strava route builder is pretty funny because they don’t care about one way roads and will happily create a route that is impossible.

Seems more if an underlying map problem tbh.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

vikingstrike posted:

Seems more if an underlying map problem tbh.

Yeah. I've gotten hosed by people flagging private roads as public in Open Street Map, which then flows in to Strava.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It's not trespassing if it's a shortcut.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
With bike fits, you are effectively paying for the experience of the fitter and not much else. Don't pay $300 for a bike shop Retul fit just because it's Retul. The fitter might just be some former salesperson or sales manager that ended up doing a bunch of certs because the shop needed somebody fill the role. Other places might have an experienced PT that travels around to multiple locations as appointments are scheduled.

Sometimes fits are priced according to the technology being used. One of the local places uses video technology for the lower priced fit and video + Retul for an upcharge. All Retul really adds is increased resolution when tracking dynamic angles, which honestly isn't that crucial vs the FPS of a video camera.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TobinHatesYou posted:

With bike fits, you are effectively paying for the experience of the fitter and not much else.

:agreed:

I was lucky enough to have a place near me that does bike fitting by an ex olympic XC racer with a few national championships to boot so he knew exactly what he was looking for. I had knee issues before going and he was so knowledgeable, had so many tips and exercises to show in addition to the actual bike fit that I got my money's worth 10x over.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

It's not trespassing if it's a shortcut.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tobin, your post on the 450w interval guy is legendary. I love you.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

Yeah. I've gotten hosed by people flagging private roads as public in Open Street Map, which then flows in to Strava.

As a pass-time I fix the Openstreetmap data around me when I find a problem in strava or komoot. It's one of the little things that I could still do under the UK lockdown, and in Summer last year I ended up riding out to odd bits of the countryside to check out and fix strange routing around disused canals, intermittent footpaths etc etc. It kept me "sane", and the map routing in this area is noticeably better now!

The routing is one the the things that really concern me / pisses me off about Komoot actually; its slavish internal belief that the OSM data is Perfect. It's fiddly to convince Komoot to go a way that the OSM data doesn't explicitly allow. In the countryside i've found it quite common to have Komoot's route go 10km out of the way because it won't consider a footbridge over a river if you're in cycle mode.

Thinking about it, Komoot's routing engine is naive and makes strange routing decisions even when the map data is correct; i've been hammering down a main road at speed only to be routed down a residential side-road that rejoined the main road in a few tens of metres further on - an entirely unnecessary turnoff that just wasted time.

ALSO (I'm on a roll now, I really hate komoot) it has several cycling modes: Road, Touring, Gravel, "Enduro MTB". These barely seem to make any change to the routing. If i'm on a road ride i'd expect to take the fast main roads, but komoot will still occasionally choose trails across fields :confused:. If I switch to Touring i'd sort of expect to be routed on smaller quieter roads, but that doesn't happen. Gravel doesn't seem to do anything at all, and Enduro MTB still prefers roads instead of a trail.

And in all of this, Komoot will happily route you along a main road when one street over is a National Cycle Network designated route. Komoot even has a NCN image overlay, but doesn't prefer its data.

Komoot has an interface to notify their team about map errors, but these seem to go straight into the bin. I have given up letting them know when there are map or routing issues and I just edit the OSM data myself now. I was tempted to fix Komoot's routing code on github but i'm not going to do uncompensated work for them.

TLDR: komoot's routing engine is trash for cycling unless you babysit every metre of the route it creates. Grr.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 13, 2021

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Anybody have enough experience with Brouter to say how it compares with stuff like Komoot or the built-in OSM bike routing?

I have it set up as a routing engine for the OSM Android app but haven't really used it. There's a web app version if you just want to try it out.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

You're a hero for fixing OSM data. I tried doing it once and wasted an entire day, and then realized I'm just not that public-minded to give my time that way.

I've never used komoot, but I echo the frustration with Strava routing me into, say, a parking lot or onto the sidewalk for 500ft and then back on to the road.
It's not a 10km detour, but it's confusing when I'm in navigate mode because it tells me to make a turn (but not really, just turn from the road onto the sidewalk???).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Uh I think you'll find that 15 minutes at 450W is exactly the same as doing 15 1 minute intervals at 350W

bicievino posted:

You're a hero for fixing OSM data. I tried doing it once and wasted an entire day, and then realized I'm just not that public-minded to give my time that way.

I've never used komoot, but I echo the frustration with Strava routing me into, say, a parking lot or onto the sidewalk for 500ft and then back on to the road.
It's not a 10km detour, but it's confusing when I'm in navigate mode because it tells me to make a turn (but not really, just turn from the road onto the sidewalk???).

The best QoL thing for Di2 is being able to flick onto the regular map screen when this is happening without taking my hands off the hoods to see if it actually is a turn or whether it wants me on the pavement for 50 yards

mystes
May 31, 2006

meltie posted:

As a pass-time I fix the Openstreetmap data around me when I find a problem in strava or komoot. It's one of the little things that I could still do under the UK lockdown, and in Summer last year I ended up riding out to odd bits of the countryside to check out and fix odd routing around disused canals, intermittent paths etc etc. It kept me "sane", and the map routing in this area is noticeably better now!

The routing is one the the things that really concern me / pisses me off about Komoot actually; its slavish internal belief that the OSM data is Perfect. It's fiddly to convince Komoot to go a way that the OSM data doesn't explicitly allow. It's common to have Komoot take your bike route 10km out of your way because it won't consider a footbridge over a stream if you're in cycle mode.

Thinking about it, Komoot's routing engine is naive and makes strange routing decisions even when the map data is correct; i've been hammering down a main road at speed only to be routed down a residential side-road that rejoined the main road in a few tens of metres further on - an entirely unnecessary turnoff that just wasted time.

ALSO (I'm on a roll now, I really hate komoot) it has several cycling modes: Road, Touring, Gravel, Enduro MTB. These barely seem to make any change to the routing. If i'm on a road ride i'd expect to take the faster roads, but komoot will occasionally choose bridleways across fields. If I switch to Touring i'd sort of expect to be routed on smaller quieter roads, but that doesn't happen. Gravel doesn't seem to do anything at all, and Enduro MTB still prefers roads over a bridleway next to it.

And in all of this, Komoot will happily route you along a main road when one street over is a National Cycle Network designated route, which means it's bike-friendly. Komoot even has a NCN overlay, but doesn't prefer its data.

Komoot has an interface to notify their team about map errors, but these seem to go straight into the bin. I have given up letting them know when there are map or routing issues and I just edit the OSM data myself now. I was tempted to fix their routing code on github but i'm not going to do free work for them.

(Note: in England a "Bridleway" is a wide public track, administered by the local government, where access is permitted to walkers, bike riders, and horse riders)

TLDR: komoot's routing engine is trash for cycling unless you babysit it to check every metre of the route it creates. Grr.
I think this stuff is pretty hard though. Even if they have an overlay for a certain map source, they may not even have it in a format that can be easily used for routing. The general state of routing software is pretty bad and I don't think it's that easy to combine a lot of different sources of data.

In the US I wouldn't necessarily expect individual roads in OSM to be tagged with enough information that would allow it to make good decisions based on activity, but I guess there may be better information available elsewhere (I think maybe the UK has public information available on how busy roads are?)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Serendipitaet posted:

Thanks for all the input and good to see the spirited discussion. The lower end Garmins are probably going to be fine for what I need.

Here’s my bike btw, had a good time on my first ride. 😊

well someone needs to quote this post and say "nice bike", so i guess it's gonna have to be me!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well someone needs to quote this post and say "nice bike", so i guess it's gonna have to be me!

finally, we were all waiting for you!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Serendipitaet posted:

Thanks for all the input and good to see the spirited discussion. The lower end Garmins are probably going to be fine for what I need.

Here’s my bike btw, had a good time on my first ride. 😊

https://vimeo.com/257476255

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My shop once pronounced it WILY-er, like more wily.
ViVa Italia LIberta E Redenta.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

My shop once pronounced it WILY-er, like more wily.
ViVa Italia LIberta E Redenta.

Wilyer or won'tyer?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Willy’er? I hardly know ‘er!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I haven't even followed up and there's 4 new pages of shitposts of people attacking ProteinLord, defending him or defending that lovely bike to the death.

:chord:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I haven't even followed up and there's 4 new pages of shitposts of people attacking ProteinLord, defending him or defending that lovely bike to the death.

:chord:

Post the post.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

can't see the hubs in the pic tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Post the post.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Post dat post.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
:justpost:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Finally took the Madone for a test ride. The last thing I did for setup was to replace the junked hood rubber and putting on what I'd hoped to be thematic bar tape:

Misc notes:
- all my worries about the front shifting were immaterial on the road. Never had an issue with the shift catching
- rear shifting was actually slightly off. Tweaked it over two ticks and fixed the hanging shifts
- yes, bicievino, there was pad rub. Less than I thought, but opened up the pads a bit midway. Went back home and spend a while truing the rear wheel
- braking is pretty good (in the dry). I've only had one other set of rim brake carbon wheels, and the squeal here is much less. But the wheels don't have the cool hollow roar sound that I'm used to from the other set of wheels
- the bike definitely feels very efficient, though the two bikes I've ridden recently aren't a fair comparison (40mm touring bike, 44mm gravel bike)
- the stem is so wide that I had trouble holding onto it when walking the bike
- the front end is twitchy, but no more or less than what I expected. Decent winds out there, and I had to be reactive, but that's normal road riding
- fit is decent. I normally ride 40cm, so 42 feels a bit ponderous, but the reach is fine. When I'm climbing, gripping the ends of the tape makes me feel like I'm riding an old MTB with bar ends
- I read in reviews that this generation IsoSpeed had an issue where the compliance in the saddle mismatches the stiffness of the fork. It definitely feels that way, but it's pretty stiff overall, so it doesn't bother me
- over cracks and potholes, the rear is pretty loud. I think it's chain slap on the protective tape, and not any creaking/pops

The thing that stood out, and is a negative, is actually the Di2 shift paddles. I naively always thought of the division as top vs bottom:

But really it's more front vs back. I think the more outboard upshift paddle is meant to intercept your fingers doing the same sweep that they would for a mechanical push of brake lever, but however I normally hold the lever, it just didn't work for me. I kept missing upshifts. Gonna have to ride more.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I set my Di2 shifters up so the right buttons shift up and the left buttons shift down, kinda like etap.

e: don’t forget there’s buttons you can set up to shift under the hoods too

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cool to see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_Equipment,_Inc. get into bike manufacturing

kimbo305 posted:

But really it's more front vs back

Yeah - that's how I feel for them when I've got winter gloves on (near the brake lever vs near nothing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
Hi, hoping someone can answer a quick question for me.

The bike:
DeSalvo Titanium Frame
Shimano Ultegra 6503 crankset
12-34 9 speed cassette
DeoreXT rear derailleur

I'm in Japan and have a couple days off, so I'm island hopping with my bike and it's developed an intermittent ticking noise that's driving me crazy. It seems to occur mostly when I'm pedaling hard, usually but not always when the drive side pedal is just before the bottom of the stroke. It sounds like it's coming from the crank/bottom bracket area, but my ears aren't the greatest so I could be wrong on that. Seems to happen no matter what gear I'm in. I thought maybe the bottom bracket was going bad or coming loose, but I've grabbed the crank arms and tried to twist them this way and that, and it doesn't noticably have any play. I'm not entirely convinced that rules out the BB, but not sure what more I can do to test this theory. The pedals are fairly new DMR V12s so I wouldn't expect them to be the culprit. They also don't have any noticable play in them. The front derailleur still seems to be adjusted correctly and I don't see anywhere it could be hitting the chainrings. The chain is also relatively new (less than 1000kms) and I've kept it clean and oiled. I have noticed a vibration coming from the chain through the cranks when I'm really moving fast, though I assumed thats just from the bike being an older mullet build. I don't think this is related, just throwing it out there.

There is a bike shop I've bought a bunch of parts from in the past and trust in Okinawa that I could visit in a couple days, but with the language barrier I would like to be able to point them in the right direction. I tend to do all my own work but this is a new issue for me and I also don't have any of the tools necessary to get too deep into it. I'm just worried that if I ignore it, I'll end up doing damage.

Any insight anyone has would be much appreciated here. Thanks!