Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xzzy posted:

This is probably the wrong time of year to be researching new gloves, but as my current ones are pretty worn out and really bugging me right now it's kind of a Topic in my brain.

So I need an upgrade from these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V57ENU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were great when new. Warm enough for me even into negative Fahrenheit and the little leather pads are great for squeegeeing off my glasses when my breath fogs them up. The fingerless part is great for fiddling with equipment when needed and the mitten part is great for keeping my fingers warm at other times. However as the price suggests (and it's gone up, I originally paid $25), they're not very durable. After a single season of use the thumb leather fell off and hem of the mitten flap stretched out to the point that it functions more as a snow shovel than a mitten.

Anyone know of a brand with a comparable design that's will stand up better to daily use and I'll get several years out of? I really hate throwing out gear every year, it feels really wasteful.

You *might* find some use in looking for "trigger mittens" or "shooting mittens" - these are often going to be milsurp but as the name suggests they're mittens but with the index finger separated out (in addition to the thumb) which provides all kinds of extra dexterity for gear fiddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pioneer42 posted:

So I have the Sawyer mini, and it has worked well for me in the past for short multi-day hikes. However, it's been a tough couple of years to get outdoors due to various reasons. I'm finally able to get outdoors again, and now I'm wondering...does the filter have a shelf life? It's been sitting in a drawer for two years now, and I'm tempted to buy another one to avoid a risk.

Honestly just take the opportunity to pick up a Sawyer Squeeze instead. Much much better flow rate.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Squeeze blows!

Go with a Sawyer full size and you're set. In my experience they last WAY longer with regular upkeep.

EDIT: Maybe Im confusing the squeeze with the BeFree and their ilk. I cant keep them straight anymore.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a brand with a comparable design that's will stand up better to daily use and I'll get several years out of? I really hate throwing out gear every year, it feels really wasteful.

Swany has a similar type of glove. its 2 gloves an inner glove and the outer mitt.

How it works is you have a side zipper on the mitt to allow your inside hand to reach out for dexterity, and when done rezip.

It's a decent glove but not sure on how good it is if used hard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Skip the Sawyer and get a BeFree filter instead

It’s literally the same dialysis filter medium, but instead of relying on pressure from one direction it exposes the filter element to the bag directly. This means you don’t have to fight it like the Sawyer and you get excellent flow with little effort because of the increased surface area on the filter membrane. Plus the wide rigid mouth on the bag is so much easier to fill. I do love carrying several small Sawyer bags with me though, in case I need to mule extra water during a trip. I just fill them clean and they pack quite nicely.

Protip for both - pre soak the filter with some tapwater before you go out on a trip if it ha completely dried out in storage. Otherwise the membrane will be too constricted for proper flow until it essentially rehydrates.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
That actually looks really good. Time to go shopping.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I will probably buy one too if it's legit

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The befrees are pretty good in my experience. We'll generally have one or two around on a trip (some don't bring any other water bottle) and they are a nice compliment to the platypus.
Only issue I've seen with them is the filters getting clogged up and they don't come with a syringe to back flush them. That's not a particularly unique issue with filters, and the bladders held up fine to us squeezing the poo poo out of them to compensate.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

This is probably the wrong time of year to be researching new gloves, but as my current ones are pretty worn out and really bugging me right now it's kind of a Topic in my brain.

So I need an upgrade from these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V57ENU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were great when new. Warm enough for me even into negative Fahrenheit and the little leather pads are great for squeegeeing off my glasses when my breath fogs them up. The fingerless part is great for fiddling with equipment when needed and the mitten part is great for keeping my fingers warm at other times. However as the price suggests (and it's gone up, I originally paid $25), they're not very durable. After a single season of use the thumb leather fell off and hem of the mitten flap stretched out to the point that it functions more as a snow shovel than a mitten.

I have (had) and love these exact gloves, but you are correct that their biggest weakness is durability. Because of their wool construction they make excellent "camp" gloves for cold and wet conditions where damp hands can't be avoided, and they are so comfortable that they are also good as house-gloves when heating your drafty tenement hovel above 50 F is too expensive. I've been meaning to get a replacement pair, so thanks for the link! I'll just have to resist using them for any real manual labor ... even though they're so comfy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I've been scouring and reviewing the suggestions people gave for upgrades, but I couldn't find anything out there that does exactly what those gloves do but are more durable. I like having my bare fingers available and like not fussing with zippers.

I guess I could sew the thumb pad back on, and I've actually been considering the feasibility of stitching some elastic to the mitten flap to try and keep it tight.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I ended up buying the Rei Half Dome 2+ and tried it out on my first camping and also solo camp trip to Ginnie Springs and loved it. Maybe when/if I go hiking I'll upgrade to a lighter tent, but I'm a pretty slim guy so maybe another person won't mind sharing the tent as it was roomy as is.

Anyways I used my UST 30day Duro lantern for night time lighting on the trip but was afraid to hang it from in the tent due to how big and heavy it is. I'm starting to look at lighter lanterns like the black diamond apollo, but the snow peak hozuki/mini hozuki caught my eye with their flickering candle mode. Anyone know any other good lights that also have a mode light that?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Luci 2.0

Seriously the best and it’s ona good sale right now

MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0: Solar Inflatable Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NQLRTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RQ890G3WAYWFZQ506GZB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ N’thing, Luci’s are excellent, even if you forget to grab it off the hot dashboard of the car and the vinyl gets all melted together, they’ll still inflate and work fine! They weigh nothing and are perfect to prop by a tree near camp every night

I also have the Black Diamond Apollo Lantern, and very much love that too, but it’s better situated for car camping or base camping.

Protip on the BeFree filters—I have a wound irrigation syringe in my medical kit that does double duty for spritzing sediment off the filter element if you’re someplace that doesn’t have enough stream flow or depth to give it a good shake in the water.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I love my Luci. My main concern was that it wouldn't hold a charge well if it only relied in solar, but it held battery & recharged well over a two-week trip. I don't even inflate it half the time.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
So I bought last year a nice Firebox Camp stove, and I have only had a chance to use it for camping once. That said, it makes a nice Hot Pot cooker! Had a nice date night. That said, had to order replacement O ring, as it was not noticed when being lit... And burnt. The Trangia alcohol stove kicked out tons of heat.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Well, I just got approved 30 days off from mid august to mid september. I guess I'm going to hike the colorado trail? I haven't done any longer trails since 2015 so I'm pumped. Did any large segments of the ct burn last year? I was thinking about treating myself to a new quilt. Whats the hotness these days? Katabatic, Enlightened equipment, zpacks?
I don't really keep in touch with any of my thru hiking friends anymore, so I don't have anyone to share the exciting news with. Everyone at work just thinks I'm crazy.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Protip on the BeFree filters—I have a wound irrigation syringe in my medical kit that does double duty for spritzing sediment off the filter element if you’re someplace that doesn’t have enough stream flow or depth to give it a good shake in the water.

A wound irrigation syringe is always the first thing I get taught in wilderness first aid to put in the kit and also the thing that never ends up in the bag because I forget about it. This is a great tip, thanks!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Facebook marketplace score, two REI Kingdom Cots, $20 for the pair. Jesus these things are comfortable, glamping is on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dumb question - do you just leave you car parked for days at the trailhead while you wander off into the wilderness?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FogHelmut posted:

Dumb question - do you just leave you car parked for days at the trailhead while you wander off into the wilderness?

Generally speaking, yes. You need to make sure you've done so legally though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not like there's any other viable options. You gonna pay for an Uber to the trailhead? :v:

Breakins do happen, so do what you can to make sure no one sees your car as a target. Don't leave any bags in the car, pack away all the wires, stuff like that.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Check your local shops or clubs. There are sometimes shuttles for hire to drop off or pick up. The Ouachita trail has a few.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
It’s good to look into what kind of reputation the region has. Some areas hit a sweet spot of accessibility, remoteness, and nearby population to produce some pretty intense instances of theft. Siphoned gas and missing wheels are classics.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Do not, I repeat, do not leave food in your car when you do this. You will get car mice.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Or car bears

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, not leaving anything visible in your car at a trailhead is crucial. That includes empty or "worthless" bags or boxes. I've had friends tell me "oh that bag is just trash", but thieves don't know that. They'll smash a window and figure it out later.

If you have a Yakima/Thule roof box, you can toss anything in there so it is out of sight.

Some trailheads are better than others. If it's an hour down a muddy potholed forest service road and only one other vehicle is around, the risk is probably low. I still keep everything out of sight anyway. Habit from parking in the middle of a city maybe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Natty Ninefingers posted:

It’s good to look into what kind of reputation the region has. Some areas hit a sweet spot of accessibility, remoteness, and nearby population to produce some pretty intense instances of theft. Siphoned gas and missing wheels are classics.

The Banff/Kananaskis region has a horrible reputation, there are signs and warnings everywhere about car breakins.

Some hotels will stash a bag for you if you ask, and some of the towns have short term storage available too (which is probably also a target, but maybe they have better security?). We sweet talked the owner of a lodge when we went camping in Assiniboine to shelter a bag of stuff we couldn't carry in to the park.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

incogneato posted:

Yeah, not leaving anything visible in your car at a trailhead is crucial. That includes empty or "worthless" bags or boxes. I've had friends tell me "oh that bag is just trash", but thieves don't know that. They'll smash a window and figure it out later.

If you have a Yakima/Thule roof box, you can toss anything in there so it is out of sight.

Some trailheads are better than others. If it's an hour down a muddy potholed forest service road and only one other vehicle is around, the risk is probably low. I still keep everything out of sight anyway. Habit from parking in the middle of a city maybe.

I used to park in the middle of a city which is why this all seems insane to me lol.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Middle of the city has more passersby, possibly cameras. That said, my town has a big streak of smash and grabs lately, so wouldn't advise a bag on a seat here!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, just leave your car. Everybody else does it.

Hide everything in your car. As someone who has lived in cities their entire adult life, its second nature to me. Loose change, phone chargers and cables, beer, gear, etc. Avoid leaving food because it can draw some critters, big or small. On big overnight/multiday trips I'll usually leave a spare car key hidden somewhere in my car just in case something happens to the keys I have on me. I usually lock up wallets/keys/phones and whatever else people don't want to bring with either in my glove box or hide them in a spot in the car. If you have extra gear, either in a roof top carrier or in the back with a black blanket overtop so that it doesn't stand out.

Also pay attention to where you're parking. Some places might have signs suggesting its a high crime area. Look around for broken glass. Thats usually a pretty clear indicator of a recent break in.

At the end of the day, its a risk you're taking. Chances are nothing will happen but its best to try and keep a low profile or not keep anything too valuable in the car and in sight.Try to park somewhere with high visibility like near the trailhead or toilet where people are typically around.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If an area is bad it is worth making sure your glovebox / ashtray is empty and open so thieves can see it's not worth it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Canna Happy posted:

Well, I just got approved 30 days off from mid august to mid september. I guess I'm going to hike the colorado trail? I haven't done any longer trails since 2015 so I'm pumped. Did any large segments of the ct burn last year? I was thinking about treating myself to a new quilt. Whats the hotness these days? Katabatic, Enlightened equipment, zpacks?
I don't really keep in touch with any of my thru hiking friends anymore, so I don't have anyone to share the exciting news with. Everyone at work just thinks I'm crazy.

I love the adaptability my 20 degree EE Revelation, but the Enigma and its closed footbox is great, too. And hey, just your luck: they’re both in stock, which is pretty rare!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Big Agnes introduced a sleeping bag for side sleepers so now there’s an option other than the Nemo Disco

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Sidewinder-Mummy

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Canna Happy posted:

Hammock Gear is my go-to for quilts. Everything is made locally, and the people that work there are awesome and showed me around one time I swung by to pick up a last second order for a trip. I’ve been using their top and bottom quilts as my go to for years now and I don’t have enough good things to say about them, especially given how cheap they’ve been able to make their economy line. I’m also 6’4” and a cold sleeper, for perspective.

That trip sounds awesome... longest thing I have planned for this year is 4 days up at Pictured Rocks and about the same to paddle down the Shenandoah, which I need to get a new kayak for :ohdear:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm in the market for a new backpacking/hiking pack and looking for some recommendations. I have a tendency to overpack, so I'd rather have a larger pack than smaller. We usually only go out for a couple of nights. The hikes are usually short & low difficulty. This lowers my concern of carrying too much weight.
It will be used from 1-4 times a year. Thinking somewhere in the ~$200 range.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could starting by figuring out your ideal volume (probably 50-75 liters; it sounds like you'd want >60l) and decide whether you like the Osprey and REI pack at that size:

https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-p...ender%3AMen%27s

There are a lot of other brands, but I feel like those have the widest appeal for people who aren't into the smaller details.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Big Agnes introduced a sleeping bag for side sleepers so now there’s an option other than the Nemo Disco

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Sidewinder-Mummy

i dunno, as a side sleeper who also thrashes from side to side all night, being locked into one side seems worse than finagling a traditional mummy bag around me

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You could starting by figuring out your ideal volume (probably 50-75 liters; it sounds like you'd want >60l) and decide whether you like the Osprey and REI pack at that size:

https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-p...ender%3AMen%27s

There are a lot of other brands, but I feel like those have the widest appeal for people who aren't into the smaller details.

Thanks. Been eyeing the Ospreys. Any opinions on the Alps Mountaineering packs? I had a tent of theirs for years that held up really well.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

Thanks. Been eyeing the Ospreys.

I can't find my bookmark, but there was an ebay retailer in the UK selling the Euro versions of the Atmos line for less than I could find them new in the US. Euro versions have an integrated rain cover. Also another lost bookmark that I know some goons will know - an outdoor superstore in Spain that will ship to the US (they have different sites for ski gear, and hiking, but same company) for less than US retail. That's just if you are trying to keep it under $200.

Not sure if the all-mighty warranty applies stateside for Euro bag, but dunno why not. I think there's a bit of Osprey Name Tax, and I don't care for their bells and whistles so I went another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm in the market for a new backpacking/hiking pack and looking for some recommendations. I have a tendency to overpack, so I'd rather have a larger pack than smaller. We usually only go out for a couple of nights. The hikes are usually short & low difficulty. This lowers my concern of carrying too much weight.
It will be used from 1-4 times a year. Thinking somewhere in the ~$200 range.

Osprey atmos 65 is the gold standard I see on the trails. So much so that I bought one when I needed a new pack. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I've worn it weighted around the house and it's infinitely more comfortable than my old pack. Osprey packs are usually feature rich, almost to a fault, but their ergonomics and fit are always good. Not to mention their warranty and repair shop is top notch

Can you find a lighter or smaller pack? Definitely but for the weight, this pack is comfortable and a great place to start. There's a reason you see them all over the trails.

The biggest thing is to get all your gear together and determine what size you need and if you'll be upgrading any of it anytime soon for smaller stuff. If you know you're an over packer and you're okay with it, stay with a larger pack. Nothing is worse than trying to overload a pack that's too small.

Alps mountaineering stuff is okay. It's usually budget quality gear and made of cheaper materials at the cost of weight/durability/performance but that doesn't mean it's bad gear, it just not might perform as well. When I got into backpacking, I wish I had just bought a good pack from the start vs the two mediocre packs I owned prior and eventually upgraded.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2021