Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Got out to Anzo-Borrego State Park with the dog over Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks to the weather the last few weeks; the wife, myself, and dog have been keeping to lower elevations. With fall progressing, the time is now to start mushroom hunting! So the last few weeks, we've been out in the Olympics looking for chanterelle mushrooms and have been finding quite a bit.

A remote campsite we found out by Wynoochee Lake

Chanterelles!

Cougar tracks

popping out onto a logging operation in one of the trails

We're going to start carrying a chainsaw to get around these obstacles, especially as the weather gets worse

scouting for a new campsite

Old growth cedars

my best buddy

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Solar Coaster posted:

We're going to start carrying a chainsaw to get around these obstacles, especially as the weather gets worse

I’ve carried a woodsaw in my vehicles for years now, after the first time I ever did solo fieldwork I got stuck up a forestry track behind a fallen tree. Almost burned out the clutch in the Fiesta van trying to pull it out the way before I ended up waking to the nearest house to borrow a saw.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My wood saw is my most used off-road tool

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Got out to Anzo-Borrego State Park with the dog over Thanksgiving.

That place is great. Which roads did you take?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Solar Coaster posted:

Thanks to the weather the last few weeks; the wife, myself, and dog have been keeping to lower elevations. With fall progressing, the time is now to start mushroom hunting! So the last few weeks, we've been out in the Olympics looking for chanterelle mushrooms and have been finding quite a bit.

A remote campsite we found out by Wynoochee Lake

Chanterelles!

Cougar tracks

popping out onto a logging operation in one of the trails

scouting for a new campsite

Old growth cedars

my best buddy

Gonna need to know what nav apps you use so we can be friends.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

That place is great. Which roads did you take?

I didnt know the name of the trails at the time, but after looking at a map - the first shot is the entrance to Plum Canyon trailhead, and the second pic is halfway up indian gorge road. I don't know the area at all and drove out from San Diego on a whim. Do you have any trail recommendations? I'd like to go back.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I didnt know the name of the trails at the time, but after looking at a map - the first shot is the entrance to Plum Canyon trailhead, and the second pic is halfway up indian gorge road. I don't know the area at all and drove out from San Diego on a whim. Do you have any trail recommendations? I'd like to go back.

Is that towards the south end of the park? The last time I was there, we went out of Borrego Springs down Dump Road to Borrego Sink Wash to Borrego Mountain Wash.

Then off to Ocotillo Wells OHV area which can get pretty stupid in a stock Chevy Colorado if you try hard enough, but I made it through to the Pumpkin Patch from the main entrance, which took a lot longer than advertised.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did Fish Creek Wash in Anza Borrego earlier this year:

Cool wind caves:

Plus a stop at Font's Point on the way out:

I wanted to explore Sandstone Canyon but my wife was pregnant and not feeling offroading for hours at a time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I did Fish Creek Wash in Anza Borrego earlier this year:

Cool wind caves:

Plus a stop at Font's Point on the way out:

I wanted to explore Sandstone Canyon but my wife was pregnant and not feeling offroading for hours at a time.

My wife was very pregnant on that trip as well, and we had to turn around in Slot Canyon because she couldn't fit.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

highme posted:

Gonna need to know what nav apps you use so we can be friends.

You got it!

So this is a crash course on how I navigate and find the places I do. I use a combination of a Magellan Off Road GPS and Google Maps cross referenced with trip reports from both the Forestry Service and the Washington Trail Association as well as current conditions from NOAA. Over the years, Google Maps has become quite powerful in finding remote locations. And considering you can now do offline navigation, it does become quite useful in locating many things remotely!

Here's how I do it. I load up Google Maps and start looking at Forests I want to go to. The ones that will most likely have passable roads with no gates will be National Forests and National Parks. Logging roads may have gates so make sure you read all signage before entering those areas.

So we got our map showing all the nearby forests. For me, nearby is something I can do in under 8 hours round trip. Covid is preventing me from going further as I'd have to have a place to stay. Remote Forestry camping can help but in the winter it is a challenge.

Let's say I want to focus on the Lake Wenatchee area in the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest

As we zoom in closer, more and more roads start opening up for us. Yellow roads are major highways, bold white are main arteries, and in this case, light white are forestry roads. From here, we can do two things, either scroll around for an area that looks interesting, dropping a pin and setting your navigation coordinates, or you can start searching for points of interests. I prefer to search for "trailhead" as it shows not only trails in the area but campsites as well. Remember, if something comes up on maps, you can navigate to it.

If I find a specific hiking trail that looks interesting, I cross reference the name against https://www.wta.org as it's a very active community and there are general trip reports usually within the last few weeks. People write out not only the trail, but how challenging it was to get to it. So you can get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Once I've found a general location I want to go to, I check out the maps for the road names as this will also be good to know.

Forestry Road Naming Conventions
The Forestry Service uses a numerical naming convention as well as a letter convention to describe national or forest roads. An example of a named road will be either NF6700 or FS18 (NF= National Forest 6700 | FS = Forestry Service 18).

Main artery roads into and out of the forest will either be 2 digit named roads, or 4 digit roads ending in 00 or 01. 2 Digits roads will have a way out and most 00 and 01 roads will have a pass through. Roads ending in other numbers typically are spurs that end in dead ends. Its good to know this naming convention should your GPS fail, you can still get out.

Also, while not 100% the rule, 2 digit NF/FS roads will be the easiest to drive along and the more challenging roads are spurs.

It should also be noted that this is where Google Maps can fail. The roads may most likely exist (only had 3 disappear on me), but some of the road names may be different as Google uses older Forestry Maps for references. So for example, NF2222 is now NF2327 if you were to drive up to it. But the pathway is still the same!

So now that we've found a vague location to explore, we want to make sure that we can explore it. Google Maps has a "terrain" or topographic map that shows elevation levels.

I cross reference these elevations against current and past weather conditions from NOAA. This way, I can know not only where the snow level is, but can also predict if snow is still around in an area or not. As my Subaru has little off road tires, I have to be more careful as to where I can go, especially since most of the time I'm alone. Getting stuck isnt an option. But this is why I travel with an analogue altimeter as well. I can check in realtime where I am with relation to current conditions.

Lastly I wanted to finally mention the Magellan Off Road GPS. I picked up one of these as my car does not have inboard navigation. This is my ace in the hole if I need to really find my way out. The GPS has an option for me to record my paths so I can follow the same way out if need be. Usually I can get by with just Google Maps and following the road signs, but its a good piece of mind to have as well.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2020

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Enjoy some quality phone compositions from a trip out to Kisatchie National Forest last month.

Scoped out a couple of potential sites before the drive out. Some more developed or accessible than others. Things were either crowded or had some sketchy looking campers parked around so we opted for a small lake that was down a spur road but not too far out in case something happened. Things were a bit muddy and there were several downed trees from the hurricanes that swept through the area recently. I drove over a few but ended up hitting one that was impassable. Fortunately it was right before an open clearing that made a great camp site for the night.

This was a shakedown run before some longer trips so my wife and I tested out sleeping inside the 4Runner. It's just the two of us so no fancy sleeping platforms or slide out cargo needed. Just a blow up double mattress and supplies in some plastic totes that can be sealed and secured in the back when moving. I'm 6'2" and had no trouble sleeping inside.

The tree that blocked me from driving up to the lakeside clearing maybe just 100' past the obstacle. Shame someone had come through and cut it but not moved it out of the way yet. We maybe could have rolled it or pulled it with some ingenuity but daylight was running out when we got to this point the previous day.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Is that towards the south end of the park? The last time I was there, we went out of Borrego Springs down Dump Road to Borrego Sink Wash to Borrego Mountain Wash.

Then off to Ocotillo Wells OHV area which can get pretty stupid in a stock Chevy Colorado if you try hard enough, but I made it through to the Pumpkin Patch from the main entrance, which took a lot longer than advertised.

(ignore the random spike to the middle of the park, I'm guessing google maps got confused) Looks like I was further west / south than you. I drove through the Ocatillo Wells OHV park a tiny bit once, just the stuff that I could see from the side of 78.

That looks really cool! I'll go and check that out soon and bring back pics. I don't suppose anyone here has done the Mojave road, and has any tips? I'm thinking about that for Christmas break

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shout out to the dudes in the brand new lifted Jeeps who I let pass me at the trail entrance because I didn't want to hold you up. You showed me that crawling isn't just for rocks. Turns out my experience living in the Northeast most of my life makes me overqualified to drive in the snow at Big Bear.

Drivers I encountered today, ranked by courteousness:
1. Dudes in old Cherokees
2. Dudes in old YJs
3. General pickup truck guys
4. Toyota Sequoia (more than one!)
5. Subarus
6. The guy in the Kia Sorento FWD with chains who blew by everyone
7. The out of control guy in the old Pathfinder
8. Teenagers in older pickups taking blind turns at high speeds
9. Getting eaten by a Wampa
99. Brand new lifted Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator drivers

Edit- didn't mean to sound like a rant. Had fun, found some snow.

Just something I've been thinking about - I've never had a slip or a slide in the stock Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure Kevlar tires that came with my truck. They have been fine in dry, dirt, rock, light mud, and snow. They are not the best in 2wd on wet pavement. Anyway, for my usage, I'm not sure what a more aggressive tire is really going to do for me.

edit edit - Vindication!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAV5dm8e0Q

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 5, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Quote is not edit.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Well it's been a while since I made this thread and the jeep is long gone. I miss it but also don't. Lately I've been driving a 2005 ram 2500. I've loved it but it's 2wd and it's time to retire it to ranch duty and upgrade. I'm thinking about something like a 2017-2018 Tundra crewcab. Anything to watch out for on them? I was thinking Tacoma but I honestly hate the seating position and overall feel of them since I've been driving one at work. Longterm I'll end up adding a pop top shell or rooftent.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

4. Toyota Sequoia (more than one!)

Tell me more about the Sequoias!

My current offroad hunting/camping vehicle is at the mechanic getting a huge estimate put together. At 21 years old, it might not be economical to fix it. The Sequoia looks like the obvious upgrade path if I want something similar to my Sienna but more capable offroad.

The 1st gen Sequoias look to be under $10k and are reputed to be reliable even at high mileages. So I'm thinking about it.

e: fwd letting me down

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 28, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Solar Coaster posted:

Milwaukee M18 chainsaw was an excellent addition to my winter camping kit. It's amazing for making big campfires.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ryanrs posted:

Tell me more about the Sequoias!

My current offroad hunting/camping vehicle is at the mechanic getting a huge estimate put together. At 21 years old, it might not be economical to fix it. The Sequoia looks like the obvious upgrade path if I want something similar to my Sienna but more capable offroad.

The 1st gen Sequoias look to be under $10k and are reputed to be reliable even at high mileages. So I'm thinking about it.

e: fwd letting me down

I have an 02 sequoia with over 300k miles on it. 1.75" lift, 33 inch tires and it's extremely capable.
The first gen (up to 07) has a solid rear axle and does really well offroad. The second gen is IRS, and... meh. They're ok, but not the same.

Original engine and transmission, the thing has been really reliable in my lat 100k miles of ownership. Just make sure the frame is solid, or buy one that has had the recall done (that's what I did).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sequoia is basically a tundra so they are just as capable and reliable (talking first gen here).

Fluid film the everloving poo poo out of the frame if you will ever be driving it in the snow though or that poo poo is gonna rust out real fast.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So you're saying the older, cheaper examples are more desirable for what I want to do? And it'll be a bay area car, so zero rust and probably never actually taken offroad.

My mechanic better hurry up and fix my van before I decide I don't want it anymore.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I got a return text from the guy I bought my 4Runner from right as I jumped into a 1st gen Sequoia I was test driving. Had I not gotten that text I probably would have purchased the Sequoia, and there's definitely times I wish I had the extra size & 2 cylinders.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Get your Sequoia if you can, people are moving on them since you cant get an offroad Lexus anymore.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Get your Sequoia if you can, people are moving on them since you cant get an offroad Lexus anymore.

Yea, you need to buy fast when you see those things. When I bought mine, it was just a lovely cheap SUV. Now they're a lovely expensive SUV that everyone wants real money for.

I have had mine 4 years now, i think? I have lost count, but with 120k miles on the new frame, it's still looking brand new. Fluid film goes a long way. I think it's also that the new frame design is way better than the original.
Side note: The fact that Toyota put a new frame in a vehicle with 180k miles still boggles my mind.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So how much should I be looking at for a 1st gen 4WD in good shape with 1XX,XXX miles? This is in the bay area where rust does not exist.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ryanrs posted:

So how much should I be looking at for a 1st gen 4WD in good shape with 1XX,XXX miles? This is in the bay area where rust does not exist.

Based on sequoia groups I follow on facebook, A LOT. Probably like 7k+ on average, it's insane.
Honestly, finding them in the 100k mile range is difficult at all. These things go well over 300k without issues, so they get driven a lot.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Alright it's been awhile since I had the jeep in the OP. I'm currently in savings mode for a new daily driver 4x4 overland project. Anyone in here rocking a full size tundra? I'm seriously looking at a new one for sometime this year then adding a poptop ovrlnd camper shell to the back.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No advice to give, but I’ve also been eyeing Tundras or some other full size at some point too. My GX470 has been great and I really love it, but a pickup with a cap or cargo van would be a lot more useful for work. They’ve barely changed in a decade plus AFAIK so you’d think they’d have most of the kinks worked out.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

powderific posted:

No advice to give, but I’ve also been eyeing Tundras or some other full size at some point too. My GX470 has been great and I really love it, but a pickup with a cap or cargo van would be a lot more useful for work. They’ve barely changed in a decade plus AFAIK so you’d think they’d have most of the kinks worked out.

Sorry for the derail, but I have been late to the party on the GX. When I first started seeing them pop up on trails and being talked about a few years ago, they were a bit out of range as a trail rig, and wouldn't really be ideal for the type of wheeling I like. But for the past year I've been eyeballing them more as a really nice size and comfortable driver, capable of towing a decent amount, and could do mild trails with the fam. I really want a 470 as it would tick most boxes, and is just like last of a dying breed - Mrs Paulie is more open to the newer 460. But watching the prices creep up lately has been something else. 100 series have gotten ridiculous, as well as the 80 and 60 series going for astronomical prices for what you actually end up with.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agree that it feels like the last of a breed, though I haven't driven much for newer trucks other than rental suburbans and expeditions. It's a great truck other than the gas and older interior being less space efficient some other vehicles with similar footprint. I could use more space I'd be really sad to see it go, and would probably wind up regretting it (like I did selling my 99 XJ.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
GX gang represent:

This is after putting a 2" Dobinsons MRA lift on a few weeks ago (which handles incredible offroad even without spending time messing with the shock adjustments). Going to add sliders and larger AT tires at some point (the ones this came with still have lots of tread left so trying to be responsible here...).

Don't get a 460, those grills are atrocious.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Another 1st gen Sequoia here. Bought it from the dealer a couple of years ago with 120k miles for 10k. I've been super happy with it on and off road. Just make sure it's had the timing belt replaced at the proper intervals.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I got out and got dirty at Big Bend National Park over the New Year.

Second picture was two days after the first.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Paulie posted:

watching the prices creep up lately has been something else. 100 series have gotten ridiculous, as well as the 80 and 60 series going for astronomical prices for what you actually end up with.

As an 80 owner this is crazy to me. I have a 91 which is the “undesirable” ones, but they are going for insane amounts. Almost makes me want to ride the bubble.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went to the literal corner of Utah last weekend, it was pretty neat

The truck did great

Even when the road got a little tight

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Atticus_1354 posted:

Alright it's been awhile since I had the jeep in the OP. I'm currently in savings mode for a new daily driver 4x4 overland project. Anyone in here rocking a full size tundra? I'm seriously looking at a new one for sometime this year then adding a poptop ovrlnd camper shell to the back.

I've got a 2011 Tundra. Love love love the truck. Tows like a dream, comfortable ride, and goes anywhere I have the guts to point it. Just under 200,000km and no major problems yet.
Now, there are a couple of downsides. Fuel mileage is...poo poo. The 4:10 rear end is great for towing/playing off road, but eats fuel on the highway. It's also got a small fuel tank - just something to be aware of.

Mines stock, with a decent set of tires, and I do a bit of hunting, so I've taken it down some gnarly trails/through some nasty poo poo. She's got a few pinstripes, but, love my truck.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I did end up with a 460. 2011 Peridot mica green premium package. It's pre-facelift, so it doesn't have the crazy mustache look. It just looks a bit dated.

Eventually it will get a bull bar of some sort and a small lift and slightly larger tires, but nothing too crazy. I want to enjoy the nice luxury ride as long as possible.

I was eyeballing the ironman4x4 bumper but didn't want to pull the trigger until the rig was in my possession. Of course today upon securing the vehicle, the price has gone back up 300 bux.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the new ride. You might wanna wait till the lift and tires for the bumper anyway — sometimes they look really weird and ungainly on stock trucks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Atticus_1354 posted:

Pop top campers are so sick. Trucks with beds don't really do it for me, but the new Tundra must be really good because my high school friend that works for a major Land Cruiser Outfitter(s) sold his 200 series Land Cruiser and bought a new Tundra. He said the main motivator was because he wanted a truck to do truck things (Home Depot runs) and he got tire of folding seats/climbing into the 200 series. I see a lot of them around, including this guy: https://www.instagram.com/dakartundra/ which is a very sick build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

I went to the literal corner of Utah last weekend, it was pretty neat

The truck did great

Even when the road got a little tight

I can't remember if I've already posted this or not, but last year I went with a few people out to the tri-point of Maine, New Hampshir, and Quebec. It was pretty fun.

We dug up the ME/NH border stone from 1861?

Went across some sketchy bridges, there were more, but I think this is the only picture I took of one.

And the ugly pig:

I technically illegally walked across the Canadian border during lockdown just to piss on a Canadian pine tree :canada: