Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

That's one of the 'interesting' things about CIG, they seem to have no control over their communications. I can only speak for EA, but there's a pretty thoroughly laid out communications policy where you don't make public facing statements unless you're specifically authorized to do so.
Because otherwise you end up with dumbshits like Zyloh making off the cuff tweets about things that they are not fully informed about and may end up being proven wrong in a week or whatever, and then the company looks like it's full of idiots.

This seems to happen frequently with CIG employees tweeting things out that probably should have been kept internal because it makes the company look stupid.

I also don't know what the cultists think is going to happen here. They say things like "I believe the CIG employees tweeting, not this kotaku clickbait!". Do they think the people that talked to Kotaku are going to be like "oh yeah, that was me, I'm one of the ones that's quoted". loving hell, how dumb are these people.

It's silly.

Sort of indicates there is an internal witch hunt to find those people. People jumping to make these posts seem to indicate there is some kind of weird internal system where people are looking for head pats or to be the "most loyal" somehow, which is super creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

That's one of the 'interesting' things about CIG, they seem to have no control over their communications. I can only speak for EA, but there's a pretty thoroughly laid out communications policy where you don't make public facing statements unless you're specifically authorized to do so.
Because otherwise you end up with dumbshits like Zyloh making off the cuff tweets about things that they are not fully informed about and may end up being proven wrong in a week or whatever, and then the company looks like it's full of idiots.

This seems to happen frequently with CIG employees tweeting things out that probably should have been kept internal because it makes the company look stupid.

I also don't know what the cultists think is going to happen here. They say things like "I believe the CIG employees tweeting, not this kotaku clickbait!". Do they think the people that talked to Kotaku are going to be like "oh yeah, that was me, I'm one of the ones that's quoted". loving hell, how dumb are these people.

That ship has long ago sailed.

It is as if there have been so many of these blunders where CIG have been left looking like idiots that they just do not give a poo poo. Or never did to start with.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1370076670519042058
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1370128677380444160
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1370097960093167622
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1370101626409746436

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 12, 2021

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Also about the Kotaku article, I can't help but think CIG did it to themselves again:

So would nobody have heard of this if CIG didn't send them a stupid update? Did Kotaku then go looking for sources, or the sources saw the statement and flipped out? Reminds of when they posted that Xenothreat trailer to IGN and then complained that IGN posted it when the event fell through. How many times will CIG just windmill dunk on themselves based on their own ineptitude? Honestly, I hope much more.

I think there was a previous article about how all the different Texas studios were handling the snowstorm and CIG garnered a mention. They might have been responding to that, or maybe the employees responded to it and CIG was asked for a response.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm surprised the great whale didn't buy generators for everyone at the office.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
lol "if there was a problem it was just one team and it was already dealt with" here comes the trickle-truth

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm surprised the great whale didn't buy generators for everyone at the office.

He could have sent them a check for generators and Chris would have cashed it and bought himself a new watch or something.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
its really weird seeing a lot of personal opinions coming out of CIG, this is exactly what you shouldn't do in this situation you dumbs

really, really, really feels coordinated

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Saturday will be "alright, this happened, but only at the Texas office and we switched course immediately.

By next Wednesday we'll hear "okay one developer died in a wreck on his way into work because of an ice patch, but his tires were bald and we told everyone else they could work from home if they tethered their phones and bought a generator"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also thanks Gill-CIG for making me have to look up what a "Degen Furry" is

https://twitter.com/Gillyburd1/status/1356019673876361221

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

its really weird seeing a lot of personal opinions coming out of CIG, this is exactly what you shouldn't do in this situation you dumbs

really, really, really feels coordinated

It makes it seem like an email went out which asked employees to post how great it is to work at Cloud Imperium. Which would be funny because that email could be leaked back to Kotaku which would keep this shitstorm going.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flannelette posted:

Doesn't the n64 have 64bit precision?

You probably know this and are joking, but if not, while the n64 had a 64-bit processor it used 32-bit busses and would generally just perform 32-bit operations because they'd be much faster as a result.

It was mostly marketing, like "blast processing".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Why do so many people attack/nitpick SC/CIG? posted:

The Templin Institute just did a hour long video on why they think SC universe doesn't work; between that, the Kotaku' article, and everything else I honestly just getting sick of this. Is this really because SC is a big crowdfunded project?

Made this the vent, feel free to vent your own frustrations in the comments.

quote:

A lot of them see backers as absolute fools, no different than r/politics sees trump supporters lol.

I threw a few thousand at SC because it’s funding a moon shot, and I thought what they were doing with 64 bit maps and physics grids was cool. I’ll never see that money again and that’s ok, I never expected too. I’ve met a few millionaires who were Legatus at citizencon and they were all chill dudes who said they did it to pay engineers salaries. They know the ships they got weren’t worth that.

Most of the people freaking out about the $30k pledge packages are children, or man-children without real jobs so spending anything more than $60 on a “game” is the height of stupidity to them. That’s ok, that’s their world and they’re entitled to their viewpoint, just don’t sweat it when they don’t get it. I’ve spent more than my SC account in a single night at the titty club with friends. Comparatively, SC has been the better deal in terms of fun payout over unit time heh.

quote:

I just watched someone post a link to the Otaku article on a discord server and it took a grand total of 2 messages before someone immediately went to "shouldn't this be out already in 2016? lol" At least they had the good graces not to beat the dead horse for any longer than a few minutes. (It's a real cutthroat server imo. Claim something they disagree with and instead of debate it or correct you they'll just call you a retard and stop taking you seriously.)

It reminds me as well, that no matter how much the devs might defend CIG on twitter, the only people who will hear about it are the fans of the game. Kotaku isn't going to write a follow-up about the tweets and no game journalist or website is going to pick it up either. (At this point the company and game are both in the background, yielding only the occasional sensationalist article from "game journalists".) Hell, even if you were to just bombard your Kotaku article posting friends with the tweet links they'll still just dismiss it because not only are you probably a fanboy with a sunk cost fallacy, which makes your opinion invalid or at least untrustworthy, those tweets are probably also not completely out of free will (according to them anyway).

Most of the nay-sayers (not counting the wait-and-see'ers) I know are either utterly convinced it'll never release (and if it does it will lack 50% of the promised features and content) or they want to actively see the company crash and burn and the game die. Because of course when a new Star Wars game is announced for the following year they only started working on it 6 months ago and not 3 years prior.

No I'm not tired of not being taken seriously, why do you ask?

/vent

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
just watched the templin video, mmmm the salt cellars shall not be wanting

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:barf:
I wonder how affected employees feel reading poo poo like this
"Yes, your troubles are totally fabricated, your liar boss and that guy from England are right" - some idiot whale that can't possibly have knowledge of what actually happened

El Spamo posted:

just watched the templin video, mmmm the salt cellars shall not be wanting
It's good, although long. Comparing SC insiginia with various real life armed forces insignia shows how dull and devoid of any meaning their designs are. Or English signs in Moscow. Elementary school-level of understanding of government structure. And so on.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 12, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh no! Miku's post is not available to me! The horror! what have I done to deserve such a cruel punishment?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Freedom of press ends when it becomes libel or in this case (since it’s a business and not an individual) defamation.

Press needs to start being held legally accountable for their words. Especially when they are outright false claims just to drive clicks. Getting bad information is partial defensible, but making poo poo up should never be.

Setting aside all the unchecked and invested foreign press with agendas...Fake news is way too drat common these days, because there is no consequences even from established media.

In fact, there is only benefits to lying since they drive clicks. If journalist had to actually be held accountable for fact checking, I guarantee journalistic integrity would become way more common again.

Ninja Edit: wow the Kotaku employees must be working overtime in this thread to hide comments like mine. How about you all just get facts and vet the facts instead of just making poo poo up? Surely you all went to college for journalism, so I’m sure you understand the process in theory.

quote:

This is actually libel as I understand it. CIG should make an example of these guys.

and from the star citizen leaks:

quote:

Can confirm the PTO thing for at least one person FYI.

Let me explain this in a clearer statement. I can verify some of the details of the Kotaku article with some of my sources (who are primarily newer employees). I can also verify that this clearly didn't affect everyone, so the devs coming on twitter talking about their own experiences are coming from the right spot. I will say that this was a problem that affected a few employees and should still be treated as the problem it is, rather than screaming at Kotaku fAkE nEwS!?!

To be clearer with numbers and sources, as of right now 2 people who are employeed in Austin confirmed some details but not all of the Kotaku article (Neither contributed to the article), while an additional person has stated a story in line with people like Zyloh.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 12, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really gotta drive up those page views by making up fake articles about the worlds most popular video game Star Citizen.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Popete posted:

Really gotta drive up those page views by making up fake articles about the worlds most popular video game Star Citizen.

Star citizen isn't a GAME. It's an EXPERIENCE. A LIFESTYLE! A PRIViLEGE!!1one

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how will the plucky indie start up that just started developing the game in 2018 deal with this?

wait, how many employees do they have? how much money do they bring in? wait, how long has this game actually been in development?

o gently caress

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

CIG devs genuinely seem to love working for CIG compared to every other game dev they worked for. Even Tyler's recent interview with some streamers show that CIG was something better than what you find in the industry.

Either some of those quotes are made up or they're not attributed to actual employees. Something smells fishy, even for Kotaku

quote:

I had to go back and verify that as actually being from an employee (in this case "said one source") because this sounds very much like what a normal Kotaku article on SC boils down to.

If it's actually a quote from a source within CIG, it makes me wonder why they bother to stick with developing the game if they don't think it's going anywhere.

/Seriously, though, that doesn't sound like a quote from a disgruntled employee, that sounds like a quote from a disgruntled player/reporter

quote:

There's clickbait and then there's libel. We'll see how far CIG pushes this - my untrained eye suggests there is a clear case for it here. Careful with the blatant lies, Kotaku. There are laws for that...

quote:

Not zero - the ENTIRE Austin office is coming out saying it's false. They'll have to demonstrate a reliable source. There will be a burden on them to back up what they stated. They referenced emails? They better produce them, etc...

This is looking very, very promising for libel.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
release the croberts letter kotaku

then find the AMD one and lets get this show goinnnnnnnnnn

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

:toot:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God Chris Roberts is such a legendarily thin-skinned piece of poo poo

Anyway, how's about that tank model, that is totally a normal size for tanks:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

God Chris Roberts is such a legendarily thin-skinned piece of poo poo

Anyway, how's about that tank model, that is totally a normal size for tanks:

Ummm sorry I think you mean TONK

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

CIG in trouble over snowflakes again !!

:vince:

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

A lot of them see backers as absolute fools, no different than r/politics sees trump supporters lol.

I threw a few thousand at SC because it’s funding a moon shot, and I thought what they were doing with 64 bit maps and physics grids was cool. I’ll never see that money again and that’s ok, I never expected too. I’ve met a few millionaires who were Legatus at citizencon and they were all chill dudes who said they did it to pay engineers salaries. They know the ships they got weren’t worth that.

Most of the people freaking out about the $30k pledge packages are children, or man-children without real jobs so spending anything more than $60 on a “game” is the height of stupidity to them. That’s ok, that’s their world and they’re entitled to their viewpoint, just don’t sweat it when they don’t get it. I’ve spent more than my SC account in a single night at the titty club with friends. Comparatively, SC has been the better deal in terms of fun payout over unit time heh.

:stare:

ohh boy, where to begin

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

marumaru posted:

and from the star citizen leaks:

lol add defamation law to the pile of things commandos don't understand

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DigitalPenny posted:

CIG in trouble over snowflakes again !!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i wish i was a mature, well adjusted adult who could throw $60,000 on a videogame

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I see the citizens are circling back to "well, all the millionaires I know put in tens of thousands of dollars into this and they are all happy and smart and don't care if a game is released, they just like giving money away"

also yeah, I've spent some serious loving money on drugs, booze, pills, sex workers, strippers, whatever. but I got what a loving paid for, which was usually a fun night and then a four day hangover and really, really bad shits

putting money into SC is skipping the night of fun and going directly to a headache and leaky wet farts shooting outta yo butt

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mirificus posted:

quote:

just threw up all over myself

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dwesa posted:

:barf:
I wonder how affected employees feel reading poo poo like this
"Yes, your troubles are totally fabricated, your liar boss and that guy from England are right" - some idiot whale that can't possibly have knowledge of what actually happened

It's fascinating how deeply the citizens have internalised the useless-forum-fucktard attitude of “works for me” to apply to everything ever: if someone says they are not personally affected by something, then this can somehow categorically be generalised to mean that nothing is actually happening at all.

Some CI¬G yes-men say they were not threatened with repercussions from shitheel managers, so therefore no-one at CI¬G were threatened by shitheel managers, and in fact, no such managers even exist.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Titanic posted:

It's silly.

Sort of indicates there is an internal witch hunt to find those people. People jumping to make these posts seem to indicate there is some kind of weird internal system where people are looking for head pats or to be the "most loyal" somehow, which is super creepy.

Is this the famously “open game development” we were promised?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Spearmint: an authority on all things family-oriented.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I too wish that CIG would sue Kotaku for publishing the statements of verified sources who requested anonymity, a thing which - after spending the entire afternoon huffing my own farts until I got brain damage - I have determined to be libel.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

That ship has long ago sailed.

It is as if there have been so many of these blunders where CIG have been left looking like idiots that they just do not give a poo poo. Or never did to start with.

It's like an experiment in "There is no such thing as bad press" taken to extremes. They really are pushing the boundaries of bullshit.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm surprised CIG didn't encourage their employees to add the #MeNeither hashtag to their positive tweets about how they have never had a negative experience with CIG management.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Every time something bad comes out, it's a hit job and "libel"

I eagerly await the hundreds of cases won by CIG's vampire forcing evil reporting outlets to submit to exsanguination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
By mid next week, Egosoft will have released 2 space aim games with 2 expansion packs each in the time since the SC Kickstarter began, with way more features, more ships and even an engine rewrite in the mix.

With a 20-member team and sub.$1m/year in revenue