Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean the worst case scenario for doing some leetcode problems is learning to be a better programmer so i'd say go ahead and do that?

OK yeah I figured it was an obvious enough answer. What does pseudocode even mean, like am I going to have to write actual functioning code on the spot, or just give a logical flow about how I would code something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it basically means writing code logic in english. something like

code:
if post quality is bad:
    gas thread
    ban op
else:
    goldmine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i wouldn't worry about it, python is pseudocode

why yes i write c and c++, how could you tell

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend leetcode as it's really geared more to applying CS to finding optimal solutions.

Something like CS50 or the lighthouse 21 day coding challenge might be better if you're just starting out.

I think you'd be a really good candidate to take a boot camp actually, especially if you're able to take a part time one on evenings or weekends and keep your job.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cs50 is cool and good

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
as a disclaimer I haven't actually done test engineering, only worked with people who do

semiconductor test programs aren't terribly complicated and I doubt you'd be asked to do crazy bullshit with algorithms. the most complicated type of problem I ever encountered was a binary search to determine breakdown voltage. you'll probably be asked fizz buzz type of questions to see if you understand logic and program flow

not sure what you do in your current job but you should probably have a good understanding of what types of tests a prober is doing and how it accomplishes them

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Truman Peyote posted:

it basically means writing code logic in english. something like

code:
if post quality is bad:
    gas thread
    ban op
else:
    goldmine

OK cool, this is kind of how I approach my scripts on pen & paper already.

Unfortunately I think the interview is going to get scheduled next week so I'm a bit crunched on time. But I think I'll start with the CS50 lecture on python. I took an intro Java class in college so a lot of it feels familiar.

Would it be a good idea to bring up some of the output of the scripts that I've got running in the interview, considering it's internal? So, for example, I've got scripts which I use to parse a bunch of tool controller logs into csvs that I join with some larger dataset to produce email/webpage reports, pareto charts for tool alarms, etc. My code itself is janky but my group has been happy with the output.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, if you've written stuff that works and you're confident talking about how it works, that's a great idea. I don't expect you'll be able to bring it in to show it off but you should always talk about your relevant past successes in an interview.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

as a disclaimer I haven't actually done test engineering, only worked with people who do

semiconductor test programs aren't terribly complicated and I doubt you'd be asked to do crazy bullshit with algorithms. the most complicated type of problem I ever encountered was a binary search to determine breakdown voltage. you'll probably be asked fizz buzz type of questions to see if you understand logic and program flow

not sure what you do in your current job but you should probably have a good understanding of what types of tests a prober is doing and how it accomplishes them

Yeah I'm the go-to on our team for looking at these test programs. My understanding is that this group uses a lot of test methods written by another internal organization to develop the test program for a particular product.

I do have a good understanding of the types of tests and how they get executed... mainly for hardware debug issues and figuring out what is causing binning issues on my tools. Most of the time I've spent debugging any test program is just to figure out what test some failure corresponds to, and then figuring out what hardware issue would actually cause that test to fail. I enjoy those kinds of problems, so that's the main reason I'm trying to move to this job.

Truman Peyote posted:

yeah, if you've written stuff that works and you're confident talking about how it works, that's a great idea. I don't expect you'll be able to bring it in to show it off but you should always talk about your relevant past successes in an interview.

OK sweet, I'll make sure to have it all primed and ready to go. I was planning on talking about it anyways but I wasn't sure if doing show-and-tell is acceptable, as I probably wouldn't be able to show it off in an external interview.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Truman Peyote posted:

also remember words like "variable" and that the return key is same and enter etc

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

the place I'm interviewing with just went with base salary + 15% bonus (not guaranteed) + transport allowance amounting to what I assumed was base compensation

should I take that? I don't think there's any room for negotiation, it's a large multinational

this is the UK so it's less than £45k total

feels a bit like a dick move tbh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Private Speech posted:

the place I'm interviewing with just went with base salary + 15% bonus (not guaranteed) + transport allowance amounting to what I assumed was base compensation

should I take that? I don't think there's any room for negotiation, it's a large multinational

there’s always room to negotiate

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Private Speech posted:

as foo says there's always room to negotiate. also will this be an increase in comp or is this a lateral move just to get out of the dumpster fire?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

as foo says there's always room to negotiate. also will this be an increase in comp or is this a lateral move just to get out of the dumpster fire?

both, but mainly the second

I'll probably go with it, looking at glassdoor it's an exact match for my job title at the company so honestly what do I have to complain about

it's my first time getting a bonus-dependent compensation though

e: also I get a bunch of extra perks as well, nothing I'd exactly need, like private health insurance for myself and (if married) family, that sort of thing, so again it's not that bad

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 16, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You should ask about what the typical bonus payout in a given year is.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah and also what the metrics are for the bonus. I don't know how the bonus culture works in the UK so I can't really comment on how reliable that will be.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Private Speech posted:

both, but mainly the second

I'll probably go with it, looking at glassdoor it's an exact match for my job title at the company so honestly what do I have to complain about

it's my first time getting a bonus-dependent compensation though

e: also I get a bunch of extra perks as well, nothing I'd exactly need, like private health insurance for myself and (if married) family, that sort of thing, so again it's not that bad

"hi hiring manager,

thanks for sending this over, it looks quite good.

is there any flexibility on the base salary? when i'm looking at it in comparison to my current compensation it would be a much easier decision if we could get closer to £45,000.

best,
ps"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

isn't the usual wisdom of the pos to not count the bonus when discussing salary?

the advice might have come from the corporate thread in the grey forums, but the wisdom is the same: You might never see that bonus

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

isn't the usual wisdom of the pos to not count the bonus when discussing salary?

the advice might have come from the corporate thread in the grey forums, but the wisdom is the same: You might never see that bonus

no- that's pre-ipo stock. bonuses are highly variant from company to company on a spectrum from 'basically part of your base pay' to 'lol you loving idiot'

you shouldn't include future potential bonuses in large purchases or depend on them for your month-to-month budget but that's just being good with money in general

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It varies by industry as well. In finance, you can generally count on receiving a large portion of your bonus as long as they're not trying to fire you. Tech companies tend to vary a bit more.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah exactly. when i was in consulting my bonus was based on hard metrics where if you didn't get it it meant you should probably be updating your resume

or it meant that the company was in dire financial straits and.... you should be updating your resume :v:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Destroyenator posted:

"hi hiring manager,

is there any flexibility on the base salary? when i'm looking at it in comparison to my current compensation it would be a much easier decision if we could get closer to £45,000.

best,
ps"

yeah do this. you already have a job, leverage that for more money

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Destroyenator posted:

"hi hiring manager,

best,
ps"

don’t mention it relation to your current comp, mention it in relation to your other offers

it doesn’t matter if you have other offers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also drop the passive language. don't say 'could we get closer to 45k?' instead say, 'i can accept if the offer is $45k'

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my bonus is guaranteed by the offer letter I signed. my last job would piss in my face and call it a bonus. employment is a land of contrast

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my bonus at my new company was £300, I think at my last place it was £5500 or so. base pay is 10k more so it’s cool but god drat i liked that lump sum

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

thanks for the advice, I'll try to give them a bit of a push and see what comes up

it's a consulting place and the bonus is based on iirc 70% utilisation - supposed to also be the metric/level for redundancy so should be fairly guaranteed

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

don’t mention it relation to your current comp, mention it in relation to your other offers

it doesn’t matter if you have other offers
eh, your current comp is something you already have and they know they have to beat. it's a concrete thing and you're telling them they're not making enough of a case to make you give up your current position*. they'll immediately ask you about timing concerns if you mention other offers so be prepared to answer about that too if they don't exist.

you can also take it out entirely:
"is there any flexibility on the base salary? it would be a much easier decision if we could get closer to £45,000."

*of course this is only at this stage of the process and you're not even really telling them your comp, standard advice of never name a number first etc.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also drop the passive language. don't say 'could we get closer to 45k?' instead say, 'i can accept if the offer is $45k'

yeah, entirely up to the op. in this case they're already happy with ~39 so 42 would probably be a nice compromise bump and setting a hard line at 45 might be too strong if they have to walk it back? :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Private Speech posted:

thanks for the advice, I'll try to give them a bit of a push and see what comes up

it's a consulting place and the bonus is based on iirc 70% utilisation - supposed to also be the metric/level for redundancy so should be fairly guaranteed

yeah that's a safe bonus then. very much in the category of, 'if you miss this two quarters in a row then you've got bigger problems than your bonus'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Destroyenator posted:

yeah, entirely up to the op. in this case they're already happy with ~39 so 42 would probably be a nice compromise bump and setting a hard line at 45 might be too strong if they have to walk it back? :shrug:

it's standard negotiating and that's not drawing any hard lines. it's just a simple statement of 'i want 45'

if you tell them you'll accept under 45 then they'll offer under 45. you're undermining your own negotiation without them even having to do it.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's standard negotiating and that's not drawing any hard lines. it's just a simple statement of 'i want 45'

if you tell them you'll accept under 45 then they'll offer under 45. you're undermining your own negotiation without them even having to do it.
yeah, fair point

Private Speech posted:

good luck!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO I just did a coding exercise for another company via hackerrank (but it was written by the company) and I'm pretty sure their automated tests have a bug in it

either I have the biggest egg on my face right now, which, well, is possible but what can you do, or I got really lucky

regardless that was a fun phone call and email to write - hey candidate here I think your automated tests are wrong here's why

e: if I'm correct that's got to be worth a few points in my favour right

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 17, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
oofa doofa I hope you spent a lot of time making sure you were sure because a memory like that would haunt me for the rest of my life if I was wrong

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Corla Plankun posted:

oofa doofa I hope you spent a lot of time making sure you were sure because a memory like that would haunt me for the rest of my life if I was wrong

I was a bit pressed for time, but I'm about, uh, 90% sure? I've copied the code to VS to play around with.

If I'm wrong, well, at least I already have an offer somewhere else. Would be a fun anecdote.

e: I'll PM it to you via pastebin, I haven't signed any NDA but it would still be a rather poor form to post

e2: I also think there's another minor error, in the specification for removeCurrent(), which could cause a segfault under a certain condition and which I've covered by an extra check (specifically if there is no next() element, i.e. if the current element is the tail, then it's not possible to set current to next(), so I set it to previous() instead b/c what else was I supposed to do).

Also I still don't think I'm wrong despite looking at it for a while longer.

e3: OTOH I found a serious memory leak in my implementation (circular shared_ptr) so really it's a wash at best.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 17, 2021

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

starting to navigate the hellscape that is the job market. are there places to work programming that don’t make you want to quit programming? please I want to hope again

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

LMBO I just did a coding exercise for another company via hackerrank (but it was written by the company) and I'm pretty sure their automated tests have a bug in it

either I have the biggest egg on my face right now, which, well, is possible but what can you do, or I got really lucky

regardless that was a fun phone call and email to write - hey candidate here I think your automated tests are wrong here's why

e: if I'm correct that's got to be worth a few points in my favour right

If you're right and its a good place to work they'll give you bonus points. If it's an awful place to work you will know before going on to whatever comes after their challenge

syntaxrigger posted:

starting to navigate the hellscape that is the job market. are there places to work programming that don’t make you want to quit programming? please I want to hope again

either enough money or whatever is close to your computer touching heart. I settled for enough money

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Boiled Water posted:

If you're right and its a good place to work they'll give you bonus points. If it's an awful place to work you will know before going on to whatever comes after their challenge

either enough money or whatever is close to your computer touching heart. I settled for enough money

I am definitely experiencing diminishing returns on more money but I also feel like I have had a bad few years of working at places that are exploitative. I feel like I need to find some interesting technology products that pay people money for code.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

syntaxrigger posted:

for what it's worth, i started working at a company in august and i'm still super happy. i went through a recruiter and had a really good feeling during the interview, so i would say keep an eye out for that?

but yeah, good places still exist. the pay ain't bad either for my experience

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I work at a company that makes me want to _start_ programming

it would beat sitting in 20 hours of meetings per week, interspersed with slack conversations and JIRA wrangling

like seriously, how tf am I supposed to get my actual tickets finished when I'm spending 25% of my week talking about how my tickets aren't finished yet, 35% of my week in other meetings, and 20% responding to Slack messages

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
of course here I am posting on yospos instead of actually programming so IDK