Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

In my experience its the height of the ground being above the wave level that matters, an earth wall at the edge of shore hasn't stopped waves for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

There's no fluid simulation in the game, it's just a wavy mesh that rises up and down. So if you don't want any water to clip through your base you need to build above the highest point water can reach.

Broken Box posted:

In my experience its the height of the ground being above the wave level that matters, an earth wall at the edge of shore hasn't stopped waves for me.

OK, hope it'll let me build that high, and that I can get the stone. I guess I could maybe just get the fires up there so they don't go out, and live with some occasional swimming. Hmm.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I have only about 12 hours in this game and I read there are tides. How high or low they might be? I noticed waters near my beach base going bit higher or lower, about half a meter maybe, does it ever go higher?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Clitch posted:

The worst part about the tombstone inventory thing is that Valheim doesn't auto-stack like items, so if you run over 2 pieces of wood and a greydwarf eye while running back to your corpse, oops, you're over your inventory space limit. Get rekt while you try to toss poo poo and get your armor back. It's another one of those basic QoL things that I don't know why they aren't in before EA release. Even Grounded didn't have paper doll armor slots at release, and that's a AAA studio. They made sure their hunger and thirst mechanics were tuned for tedium, and you only got half your mats on building refunds, though!

The one thing I really want is something like the sort inventory button from satisfactory, which both sorts and auto-combines stacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Our base is like a vortex of bugs, although they mostly occur when 3+ people are online. Mushrooms and wood levitate up into the air. It takes about half a minute for the 20-odd pigs to pop in to my Pig Hole. Invincible greylings are running in place or teleporting through walls. Doors only open for some players so our current method of egress is jumping out of windows. One bonus feature is that we can cram an extra 10 or so ore and coal into the forges before the game updates.

Try not to terraform so much in your new base. Terraforming seems to be the biggest lag generator

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

rarbatrol posted:

The one thing I really want is something like the sort inventory button from satisfactory, which both sorts and auto-combines stacks.

I'd kill for a single hotkey for weapon/shield combo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd kill for a single hotkey for weapon/shield combo.

This almost exists, with the R button. It will stow whatever your active equipment is and pressing it again will re-equip it. But it's always your last tool, not your weapons.

They should make the T button always pull weapons or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dogstile posted:

Try not to terraform so much in your new base. Terraforming seems to be the biggest lag generator

Yeah, I figured that out some days ago but the damage was already done :v:

The moat, terraced forest, underground cellar, docks dredging, pig hole, raising/lowering ground to get campfires on the second floor of buildings, miscellaneous flattening for projects... I should probably take some screenshots before we abandon home.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

OK, hope it'll let me build that high, and that I can get the stone. I guess I could maybe just get the fires up there so they don't go out, and live with some occasional swimming. Hmm.

I had this same issue with my current base. Build your floor just above the water by putting down walls and building the floor on top of them, and then reinforce with beams as needed. If you need more reinforcement, you can build stone pillars under the floor as needed. Then just raise up only the parts of the ground that your hearth etc. need to be on. As a side effect you'll have a nice unfinished basement area you can put all your workbenches that are only there to allow base construction!

I don't have a good solution for docks/boathouses though. No matter what I do, they get flooded during high tide and hard to reach the boat during low tide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

genericnick posted:

Ah, yeah that explains it. Anyway it's troll leather against deathsquito time.

Brush up on your roll-reflexes. After a dozen plains corpse runs past deathskitoes, I finally learned a way to not get ganked. for a long time I was bringing old shields until I finally ran out of old shields, then I realized if you just rolled away when they come in for the attack dive you can dodge them indefinitely.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

xzzy posted:

This almost exists, with the R button. It will stow whatever your active equipment is and pressing it again will re-equip it. But it's always your last tool, not your weapons.

They should make the T button always pull weapons or something.

Or make a last-equipped button like an fps so its one press to go back and forth from tool to weapons, or melee to bow

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ChristsDickWorship posted:

Or make a last-equipped button like an fps so its one press to go back and forth from tool to weapons, or melee to bow

Exactly. For me it was most prevalent when mining silver. I'd hear the drakes coming, break out the bow, then hear the wolves coming. I'd have to dodge-roll while fumbling for the shield/weapon combo etc. A single key for all 3 setups would be great.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
While we're talking simple things we'd like, I'd like a button press to "snap under" and "switch sides" while building. Or some sort of way to do manually the sort of placements the game is willing to do automatically with things overlapping. Or both!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

One bonus feature is that we can cram an extra 10 or so ore and coal into the forges before the game updates.

As much as I love doing this as well, I got bit by a related thing the other day.

Had 7 serpent meat, and 3 cooking racks on the hearth. I rapid clicked to throw 6 meats on to cook. 5 meats ended up on the racks and two were deleted from existence.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

While we're talking simple things we'd like, I'd like a button press to "snap under" and "switch sides" while building. Or some sort of way to do manually the sort of placements the game is willing to do automatically with things overlapping. Or both!

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

hopefully a lot of mods get integrated

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I've been playing solo and I've gotten to the swamps but now I'm thinking I'll have a more fun experience playing with others...are there any goon servers?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

VVVV I mean I don't ever think to check there either VVVV

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 12, 2021

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Thanks and my bad I forgot that there was a private server subforum.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dwesa posted:

I have only about 12 hours in this game and I read there are tides. How high or low they might be? I noticed waters near my beach base going bit higher or lower, about half a meter maybe, does it ever go higher?

There are no tides. Sometimes the water gets choppy from a storm.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
One thing I’d wish I’d started doing earlier: Create a pier into deeper water instead of dredging. I’m fairly certain some of my inverted/exploded boats were because the boat spawned on original dangerous terrain and terraforming redraw took too long.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

dogstile posted:

There's a mod for that: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/235

It'll let you find the areas with tons of terrain edits and undo them. Though this might make some structures die, so you might want to test it on a copy of your world file first if there are some parts you want to keep.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Campbell posted:

One thing I’d wish I’d started doing earlier: Create a pier into deeper water instead of dredging. I’m fairly certain some of my inverted/exploded boats were because the boat spawned on original dangerous terrain and terraforming redraw took too long.

My main bases has a stone pier that goes straight out and then wooden docks one staircase lower that come out perpendicular to it.

The wooden parts occasionally flood over but the stone is about a foot above the highest water line so I can always get in/out from the pier when it's choppy, or from the dock when it's calm.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I guess Serpents can be night spawns too... I dragged one into an enclosure pen only to find it gone the next day.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Some streamers made a Valheim battle royal tournament:

https://twitch.tv/videos/944543809

Pvp was turned on around 2 hours in.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are the terraforming costs incurred per-tile, or per-change? Like if I mine one single square 8 times, does it get counted only once (base height -> adjust to new height), or 8 times?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

There's no fluid simulation in the game, it's just a wavy mesh that rises up and down. So if you don't want any water to clip through your base you need to build above the highest point water can reach.

yeah i love the waves and sailing on them but its hilarious they have max power a foot from the shoreline

that belt issue has gotten me too - was carrying too much, got encumbered when reclaiming everything, by the time i got the belt on i got crushed again by the golem that had previously killed me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are the terraforming costs incurred per-tile, or per-change? Like if I mine one single square 8 times, does it get counted only once (base height -> adjust to new height), or 8 times?

The performance cost is proportional to the number of nearby squares that have ever been altered.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

According to someone who looked at the code:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqcr88/reason_behind_low_fps_and_huge_instance_numbers/gog3xoo/ posted:

When loading an area, the game goes through all terrain modifications one-by-one and applies them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hope they find a way to streamline that because I have PLANS.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly if that's the thing causing issues I have to imagine that'll get fixed in time. "All" it would take is simply updating a new default so it only has to translate the changes once. Obviously that's easier said than done for a team of 5...

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I started a new base last night with plans to terraform as little as possible. RIP to my first base that essentially was cut into the side of a mountain. (And RIP to my GPU)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Using the shelf-stacking technique i've gotten pretty good at dropping small useful bases that don't really require a lot of changes to the land

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

The performance cost is proportional to the number of nearby squares that have ever been altered.

Any idea what "nearby" means here, specifically?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bus hustler posted:

Using the shelf-stacking technique i've gotten pretty good at dropping small useful bases that don't really require a lot of changes to the land

Yeah building shelves has been pretty great for that. I think I've got a pretty decent looking but also practical setup of a fenced mining encampment consisting of a forge/workshop shed with smelter/kiln in the back, a sleeping/cooking hall, and portal building all spaced roughly evenly around a circle, entrances facing in, with the gate being the 4th in the circle.

I'm still building variations on that based in environment (I've got my eye on a swamp tree fort) but it's a decent overall look of "inhabited living area carved into wilderness" that is nice.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Space Skeleton posted:

According to someone who looked at the code:

:lol:

Thankfully it seems like an easy fix.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Azhais posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

hopefully a lot of mods get integrated

I can not for the life of me figure out why I can't get mods to work with my game. It all seems properly configured and everything it just... does nothing. Its been very frustrating and now it is moreso!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Got the dragon. I think I'll leave my dumb grave like this:

Here lies Genrk and the stones that killed him.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I can not for the life of me figure out why I can't get mods to work with my game. It all seems properly configured and everything it just... does nothing. Its been very frustrating and now it is moreso!

Have you installed the base BepinEx requirement that pretty much every mod needs? When you start the game it should spawn a terminal first that spits out a bunch of unity loading information - if you don't see that no mods are going to work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
whats the shelf stack technique you're discussing? just jamming 1x1s into the terrain to use as anchor points?

also whats the best way to get chain for a black shield? just figure ill come across it when in crypts for more iron? i ran around a swamp all night and couldn't find any wraiths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
It's not necessary at all, but the Nexusmods.com Vortex mod manager will also try to install and set up any dependencies you might need (like BepInEx).

Kind of a heavyweight option, but it might be worth trying if you are struggling to get mods working (because gently caress having to manually pull wood out of a chest to use it)..