Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

I just did a little more reading and you know, it's absolutely infuriating that this is such an extremely commonplace thing to happen when you hit your late 30's/early 40's, and no one ever mentions it as a thing.

You hear all about the hot flashes in actual menopause, but no one thinks to mention that even when your period cycle seems to be exactly the same as it ever was, you're really quite likely to start noticing your heart start hammering, or in my case doing that 'pause... EXTRA BIG BEAT' thing several times a minutes, off and on for days on end when your hormone levels change.

It would have saved me a hell of a lot of worrying if I'd known to expect it.

I remember when it first started, I freaked out and went to the doctor, got a 24 hour heart monitor to check (no probs), so I was a bit reassured, but kind of puzzled, and I mentioned the whole thing to my mother, and she was all "oh yeah, I remember when that started happening to me too; for a while, I thought I was about to drop dead, and then I thought 'gently caress it, hasn't happened yet' and ignored it."

I didn't know until I finally had insurance and the ob/gyn mentioned it in 2019, at which point it had been going on for nearly six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

I didn't know until I finally had insurance and the ob/gyn mentioned it in 2019, at which point it had been going on for nearly six years.

ARGH :argh:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

It's great for helping egg on a bad attack of anxiety when you're trying to get some sleep.

I'm choosing to believe this is my body being a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat about all the crap I put it through during my troubled youth.
"Make me stay up for two days on speed, will you?!?? You just wait, you hyperactive gently caress, I've got plans in store for you."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

It's great for helping egg on a bad attack of anxiety when you're trying to get some sleep.

I'm choosing to believe this is my body being a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat about all the crap I put it through during my troubled youth.
"Make me stay up for two days on speed, will you?!?? You just wait, you hyperactive gently caress, I've got plans in store for you."

Exactly! I've always had generalized anxiety, so weird heart stuff is perfect anxiety fuel, plus as a little child, I had a fear that the heartbeat you hear in your ear when it's pressed to the pillow is the footsteps of a monster on the stairs. This feels to me like payback for being afraid of a calm, regular heartbeat - now it's a psycho who is fuckin randomly smacking a hammer off the walls as they climb the stairs to kill me.

Again, I feel like this extremely common thing is really something menstruating women should get a heads up about.

Also wanted to add: the payback thing - I used to drink waaay too much and had no weird heart stuff, it only started when I was eating like a head of broccoli a day and had completely quit alcohol. My doctor visit basically showed I had extremely good lung capacity/cholesterol/general health levels. I really don't say this as a boast, just that I was in better health than I had been in literally forever and the heart poo poo happened anyway.

Don't feel bad for having partied, being a cis woman with the average hormone profile is enough for things to get weird. My mum did pretty much nothing* and her heart went all stupid. *A little 70s weed is basically nothing

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 1, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've never tried blood sausage I should though.

Its ok, like, it's tasty but kind of iron-y tasting. Blood pudding (aka black pudding) is totally commonplace in Ireland. Personally, I prefer white pudding - more mildly spicy/peppery, less iron-y. FYI, if you get the chance to try some, don't get the smooth kind, get the ones with oats n stuff, much nicer.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

Exactly! I've always had generalized anxiety, so weird heart stuff is perfect anxiety fuel, plus as a little child, I had a fear that the heartbeat you hear in your ear when it's pressed to the pillow is the footsteps of a monster on the stairs. This feels to me like payback for being afraid of a calm, regular heartbeat - now it's a psycho who is fuckin randomly smacking a hammer off the walls as they climb the stairs to kill me.

Again, I feel like this extremely common thing is really something menstruating women should get a heads up about.

Also wanted to add: the payback thing - I used to drink waaay too much and had no weird heart stuff, it only started when I was eating like a head of broccoli a day and had completely quit alcohol. My doctor visit basically showed I had extremely good lung capacity/cholesterol/general health levels. I really don't say this as a boast, just that I was in better health than I had been in literally forever and the heart poo poo happened anyway.

Don't feel bad for having partied, being a cis woman with the average hormone profile is enough for things to get weird. My mum did pretty much nothing* and her heart went all stupid. *A little 70s weed is basically nothing

Totally agree. It's genuinely unsettling and no one tells us about it!

oh, it's not that I feel bad about drug use or anything, it's my somewhat grim sense of humour asserting itself because the idea that one's immune system will patiently wait decades for revenge amuses me. vendetta!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

Totally agree. It's genuinely unsettling and no one tells us about it!

oh, it's not that I feel bad about drug use or anything, it's my somewhat grim sense of humour asserting itself because the idea that one's immune system will patiently wait decades for revenge amuses me. vendetta!

I get you honey, I just hate hate hate that you felt even a little bad when this shite would have happened anyway. Even if you been a nun, it would have happened. We're always conditioned to feel responsible or guilty , and HEY! HAPPENED ANYWAY!!!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Does anyone else get like really sore legs right around the time your period starts? It drives me up the wall because it doesn’t make any sense to me.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

Dazerbeams posted:

Does anyone else get like really sore legs right around the time your period starts? It drives me up the wall because it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Yes gently caress. My knees act like I climbed a mountain! I don’t need cramps and achy legs, argh.

I just finished my cycle and prob need to reach out to the obgyn again. They wanted me to monitor tenderness on my breasts but like...that never seems to go away. It’s not just a cycle thing. Anyone else deal with that?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dazerbeams posted:

Yes! And sometimes my cramps shoot right down my drat legs!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Pookah posted:

I just did a little more reading and you know, it's absolutely infuriating that this is such an extremely commonplace thing to happen when you hit your late 30's/early 40's, and no one ever mentions it as a thing.

You hear all about the hot flashes in actual menopause, but no one thinks to mention that even when your period cycle seems to be exactly the same as it ever was, you're really quite likely to start noticing your heart start hammering, or in my case doing that 'pause... EXTRA BIG BEAT' thing several times a minutes, off and on for days on end when your hormone levels change.

I remember when it first started, I freaked out and went to the doctor, got a 24 hour heart monitor to check (no probs), so I was a bit reassured, but kind of puzzled, and I mentioned the whole thing to my mother, and she was all "oh yeah, I remember when that started happening to me too; for a while, I thought I was about to drop dead, and then I thought 'gently caress it, hasn't happened yet' and ignored it."
fuckin'

well I'm glad I decided to believe that those palpitations meant nothing :c00lbutt:

e: I even had a holter monitor, it was for something else but it also was fine

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Remember that time when I lost my birth control and was worried that I was going to die? Well, I never found it, and holy poo poo.

My period lasted from the 20th to the 25th, and then it just...ended. And I didn't spot afterward. And that was it. I feel so loving CLEAN. I'm never going on birth control again. :)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Loving the non hormonal iud so far, it’s amazing. I have been on hormonal contraception for 18 years (excluding time spent trying to get knocked up and successfully being knocked up twice).

Hormonal contraceptives were a picnic before kids but since having kids my hormones just want to be left the gently caress alone to do their thing.

I’m on my first period on the copper iud and despite my doctor warning me about heavy bleeding and telling me to take an iron supplement when it starts, this period is light, painless and it’s been that way for 3 days. Who would have thought?

I also am not having massive depressive episodes or pre-menstrual freak outs. Amazing. I had one morning where I was grouchy but it was because everything was poo poo, so it was justified.

I have not been myself for the past 5-6 months while I had implanon in so this is such a welcome change.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have been having the weirdest PMS this month. the must-eat-everything-in-sight-for-24-hours thing lasted on and off for a week before I finally got some bleeding last night. now I have the mood poo poo happening AFTER that and I'm just angry and depressed :mad:

I just want to be able to sleep through this week every month, why can't science do that yet

e: OH also my boobs just reminded me: itchy boob is back this month for some reason, so annoying and weird

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 3, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ayin posted:

fuckin'

well I'm glad I decided to believe that those palpitations meant nothing :c00lbutt:

e: I even had a holter monitor, it was for something else but it also was fine

Welcome to the "pissed off that we got a fright about a thing that is apparently commonplace but no-one tells you" club

We're pissy and our hearts do annoying poo poo a couple of times a month, or whenever the hormones tell them to. Our club motto is

"poo poo, this is normal? Why the hell did no-one tell me?"

Edit: I get sore knees too, never thought they were hormonal, but it does make a lot of sense.
So we get fucky hearts, sore tits, crampy uteruses, achy knees, water swelling, horrible moods, and I can't think what else, all for the privilege of maybe getting pregnant.

Woo.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I'm ovulating now and I'm hornily eyeing the NPCs in Skyrim.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm ovulating now and I'm hornily eyeing the NPCs in Skyrim.

Erik the Slayer :kimchi:

He's my soft, cuddly little wannabe mercenary doofus.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I found that menopause is really loving with my food. It's difficult for me to eat some of my former favourites and I end up overcooking meat because anything else makes me nauseous (which is also why I'm eating more prepared tofu products). The big one, though, is salt.

I used to occasionally crave salt when menstruating but it was easily controlled with just one or two corn chips. Perimenopause turned me from someone who had a good sense of how to season with salt to someone requiring one of those nutrient-infused salt licks at all times OR zero salt is god's own truth why is my butter so salty worst mineral ever. Nothing in between. Turns out those fluctuations in hormones can gently caress up your sense of taste AND smell!

And, no, no one told me about this. Not one doctor or nurse mentioned it when I said I was having trouble with food and was worried I might be developing a weird eating disorder. Infuriating.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So far my sense of taste has stayed stable, but my sense of smell is 100% influenced my the aul hormone cycle. I can come into a room and be overwhelmed by a terrible stench of feet that literally no-one else can smell.
I have the grossest superpower of being able to tell who was on the bathroom before me, purely by the individualized stank.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

So far my sense of taste has stayed stable, but my sense of smell is 100% influenced my the aul hormone cycle. I can come into a room and be overwhelmed by a terrible stench of feet that literally no-one else can smell.
I have the grossest superpower of being able to tell who was on the bathroom before me, purely by the individualized stank.

Why can't we have cool superpowers?

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Pookah posted:

Argh. I had super smell while pregnant. I worked in a job where I cleaned outhouses in campgrounds...and people regularly got drunk and puked down the "toilet" part.

My superpower was being able to name the vomited alcohol/mixed drink over the smell of the giant poop pit.

Super smell is truly the worst superpower.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

People fantasize about having these kinds of powers, but they really do they really think about what it's actually like - its mostly just gross and nasty as heck. Also yeah, the heart pitty pat thing completely stopped about 24 hours after my period ended.

So boring yet so stressful.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pookah posted:

I don't know how I stumbled into this thread (I'm a penis haver), but my mother may have this. I'm the one member of the family she can talk to about this (my dad's English is pretty meh, and my brother was too young at the time and is very yoga/new age today). She thought she was having irregular heartbeats and was super stressed about it. She might still be because she's on hormones (that's another story and beyond this thread), but I will mention this to her because I know she's worried about her heart and her health.

Thank you for sharing it. My mom gets stressed easily, and we were worried that her heart was succumbing to it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't know how I stumbled into this thread (I'm a penis haver), but my mother may have this. I'm the one member of the family she can talk to about this (my dad's English is pretty meh, and my brother was too young at the time and is very yoga/new age today). She thought she was having irregular heartbeats and was super stressed about it. She might still be because she's on hormones (that's another story and beyond this thread), but I will mention this to her because I know she's worried about her heart and her health.

Thank you for sharing it. My mom gets stressed easily, and we were worried that her heart was succumbing to it.

I'm so glad you did stumble in! Here's hoping it's just this ordinary and very probably entirely harmless thing, and she feels at least somewhat reassured :)

I suppose doctors can never assume any irregularity in heartbeat is harmless, which would go some way to explaining why the default isn't to say that it's a fairly ordinary thing to happen at certain stages in life, but it's shocking that so many women seem to have to have a very frightening experience that they could so easily be warned about in advance.

It's easier these days with so much information available on the internet, but Jesus, think of all the generations of women who went through this with no access to any information, no possibility of having their hearts checked. Just had to hope it was ok or spend all their time worrying they were about to die :(

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pookah posted:

I'm so glad you did stumble in! Here's hoping it's just this ordinary and very probably entirely harmless thing, and she feels at least somewhat reassured :)

I suppose doctors can never assume any irregularity in heartbeat is harmless, which would go some way to explaining why the default isn't to say that it's a fairly ordinary thing to happen at certain stages in life, but it's shocking that so many women seem to have to have a very frightening experience that they could so easily be warned about in advance.

It's easier these days with so much information available on the internet, but Jesus, think of all the generations of women who went through this with no access to any information, no possibility of having their hearts checked. Just had to hope it was ok or spend all their time worrying they were about to die :(

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I talked with her that day just to check up on her. She said she's also had EKGs that show her heart is okay, so she stopped worrying about it (I didn't know this until I talked to her, so I'm glad she got the tests done). But yeah, the general lack of information on basic women's health SUCKED and still SUCKS.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yay! Glad to hear your mum isnt stressing about this. I suffer from anxiety too, and even though I know this thing is almost certainly harmless, it's still really unpleasant because it's your drat heart being weird.

Almost the only organ that can off you in a few seconds. Just doing a 'Sike! Are you paying attention? Just did a weird thing there, nothing's actually wrong, but wouldn't it be CRAAAZY if it were???' and this poo poo goes on for literally days. And it's especially bad when you're trying to sleep - I'm not saying you just notice it more then; it actually ramps up when you are lying down and trying to relax.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Cramps. Hives. SAD. River. Of. Blood.

That about covers it.

Edit:

If you’re wondering how blood loss is affecting my brain function today

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 12, 2021

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

PMS and my kid waking me up at 5:30 and then refusing to nap has transformed me into SLEEPO, layer of the sofa.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ahhthe pre-period insomnia had commenced, along with the terrible huge zits. I don't have white or black heads, just huge cystic style zits. Some of it is definitelt stress related though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Ahhthe pre-period insomnia had commenced, along with the terrible huge zits. I don't have white or black heads, just huge cystic style zits. Some of it is definitelt stress related though.

This is apropros of nothing but your username contains my employer.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Anyone know what the deal is with the salt cravings? Back when I was having periods there was no amount of salt that was too much. I once caught myself snacking on flake salt. But then I got on a BC dosing schedule to shut everything down and the cravings just went away and never came back.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the salt cravings? Back when I was having periods there was no amount of salt that was too much. I once caught myself snacking on flake salt. But then I got on a BC dosing schedule to shut everything down and the cravings just went away and never came back.

It is believed to be caused by hormone fluctuations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

drat 'hormone fluctuations' is, to the study of women's biology what 'ritual purposes' is to archaeology.

IE a catchall term that basically means 'hosed if I know'

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

At least 'hormone fluctuations' is a step up from 'wandering womb'.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is apropros of nothing but your username contains my employer.

As a kid I had a hard time reading "tulalip" as "tulips" and vice versa, despite spending a bunch of time in Marysville. To be fair, no child really wants to spend time in Marysville if they can avoid it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

drat 'hormone fluctuations' is, to the study of women's biology what 'ritual purposes' is to archaeology.

IE a catchall term that basically means 'hosed if I know'

Ok.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

xcheopis posted:

Makes sense. I think my body just had a desperate unmet need for birth control because a lot of my random hosed up body stuff resolved itself around that time.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Does anyone else experience constant tenderness in the breasts, no matter the time of the cycle? I’ve had two OBs look at me, and a clean mammogram, but fuuuuck are the sides always sore!

When I had an exam today the nurse was surprised. She asked if it was from an ill-fitting bra and I laughed and said I stopped wearing a bra in quarantine bc I work from home. So maybe it’s muscle growth? I’m a B cup so it’s not like there’s a lot of mass here.

I’m super paranoid bc cancer runs on both sides of my family. I was referred to a surgical specialist, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has dealt with this. :(

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Man, I would always get "random" bouts of insomnia and I just connected them to my periods. It sucks!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

As a kid I had a hard time reading "tulalip" as "tulips" and vice versa, despite spending a bunch of time in Marysville. To be fair, no child really wants to spend time in Marysville if they can avoid it.

I live in north Everett which is as close to Marysville as I'm willing to get.

Both beat Aberdeen and Tacoma though.