Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danes are a nice lot but uncomfortably nationalistic. I love Denmark, I've been there a dozen times, my dad lives in Jutland and a friend of mine studied in Køben. I'm also a frequent visitor to Stockholm where my wife has a bunch of relatives and København and Stockholm feel like polar opposites in a lot of ways. Both are very diverse modern cities but the underlining nationalism feels a lot more hostile and pervasive in Denmark. Maybe it's because Denmark is currently a colonial power and Sweden hasn't been for 150 years.

Also the Danish underground train stations are boring identical concrete cubes while every station in the Stockholm metro feels unique.

On the other hand it is very nice to be able to buy beer in the grocery store and the Danes are generally a bit more chill.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I like being racist against other Scandinavians, it's like being racist against your parents or something. I would say #notalldanes but the majority is actually racist against other people, so... And yeah we definitely have a big helping of Danish Exceptionalism which is p lol when you look at the maps you just posted

to be fair, the tiles by the stairs in the metro stations are themed #wow #whoa

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Neighboring countries can make fun of eachother, but there's also a dynamic where you're more of a jerk for punching down, so if you're self-conscious in that way, there's sort of a deference to the countries you feel free to make fun of unreservedly.

Which I think is why so much of American negative stereotyping about Canada is so weirdly complementary.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The only country I feel like I can make fun of as an American and it not be punching down is Britain.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
France and Germany.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

If you broke up some of the longer states, this is better than basically every “let’s reimagine the U.S. states” map in that it doesn’t completely botch the geophysical reality of the Western U.S.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 13, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

If we were actually basing countries on ethnic and linguistic groups Germany, Austria, Denmark, The Netherlands, Switzerland, and the Dutch parts of Belgium would be one country.
Prussia/Germany attempted to ethnically cleanse the Danes living in the territories they conquered in 1864, and succeeded in getting rid of about one third. This is kind of a lovely take.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Every single one of these loving rules

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“mapologies” and “2021” are strange names.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Neighboring countries can make fun of eachother

I bet all the former Soviet republics love being made fun of by Russians. Also I always lmao myself to death when Americans joke about Mexicans.

e: And oh god the Balkans.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Because we don't use a general term meaning "sons of a sibling", Tupu, Hupu, and Lupu were known as Aku's brother's sons for decades. I think they got fed up with nerds bombing them with "ACTUALLY IN THE ORIGINAL THEY WERE SENT BY DONALD'S SISTER!!!1122" letters at some point*, but couldn't really start calling them Aku's sister's sons because then the Old Farts would start complaining, so now they're his "relative boys" or just "duck boys" or "the boys" I think.

*) Also Don Rosa made the family tree which made the mistake obvious.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

More variation than any other language map.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

More variation than any other language map.
I wonder how many of those are named after the sound ducks make. The Danish ones are, I assume Icelandic and Dutch too.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Serbian ones are regular names and/or nicknames that rhyme with the translation of Donald Duck - Paja Patak. A Serbian company held the rights for Disney and introduced the characters to the entirety of Yugoslavia. The Croatian versions are terrible replacements introduced after the war to cancel previous cultural links to Serbia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Donald Duck is rightful Serbian clay

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wonder how many of those are named after the sound ducks make. The Danish ones are, I assume Icelandic and Dutch too.

If it kwiks like a duck
and it kweks like a duck
and it kwaks like a duck

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I'll ask some Turks if Jin Jan Jem mean have any significance besides being alliterative.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Actual names: Hubert, Deuteronomy and Louis.

Donald's (twin) sister is wack.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Estonians with similar names, but in different order than Finns :argh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Latvia does not approve of their shenanigans and has issued a damnatio memoriae

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

adhuin posted:

Estonians with similar names, but in different order than Finns :argh:

I just realized the map is racist because it doesn't show the Saami version (or possibly versions).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 13, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just realized the map is racist because it doesn't show the Saami version (or possibly versions).
The map isn't racist for acknowledging the fact that the Land of Disney does not recognize the Saami nation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think they prefer to be referenced as The Magic Kingdom

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Neighboring countries can make fun of eachother, as a treat

Anyway I'm not so sure about this though, there's a bit of a misty area between good-natured ribbing and outright hostility. There are definitely French and Dutch chauvinists who not only believe their own country is superior, but have a particular type of arrogance and condescension reserved for their Belgian neighbours.

It's one of the reasons I always think alt-hist maps where Belgium gets split between the Netherlands and France is so dumb. Belgians don't want to belong to either nation. It'd be just as dumb to split and divide Switzerland to its neighbours. You could argue Switzerland has been around longer, but Belgium as a nation state is older than Germany, Italy, Ireland, the Baltic countries and Albania, to name a few.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say France is the wrong one because they chose names that don't rhyme or bare any resemblance to eachother.

DarkCrawler posted:

Actual names: Hubert, Deuteronomy and Louis.

Donald's (twin) sister is wack.

The new Ducktales retconned it so that Donald's sister wasn't there when they were born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XFlS9AGWA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bet all the former Soviet republics love being made fun of by Russians. Also I always lmao myself to death when Americans joke about Mexicans.

e: And oh god the Balkans.

Man, if only I had somehow considered how punching down makes you a jerk. Woe is me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Anyway I'm not so sure about this though, there's a bit of a misty area between good-natured ribbing and outright hostility. There are definitely French and Dutch chauvinists who not only believe their own country is superior, but have a particular type of arrogance and condescension reserved for their Belgian neighbours.

It's one of the reasons I always think alt-hist maps where Belgium gets split between the Netherlands and France is so dumb. Belgians don't want to belong to either nation. It'd be just as dumb to split and divide Switzerland to its neighbours. You could argue Switzerland has been around longer, but Belgium as a nation state is older than Germany, Italy, Ireland, the Baltic countries and Albania, to name a few.
Belgium is explicitly NOT a nation state though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

lmao at switzerland keeping it's current borders.
Surely, you wouldn't touch the money bank of the capiltalists who raped Africa?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The onomatopœia duck names are bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that Belgium's origin as practically an accounting error in the power struggle of bigger powers around it isn't really unique and Switzerland, Finland, Poland, and Ukraine have similar deals, and I really don't know much about what makes a people or what cultures are more distinct or "valid".

But weirdly getting really indignant apropos of nothing and insisting how distinct and valid Belgium is as a nation gives me more of an impression that Belgium is a sham.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baudelaire had things to say about Belgium. Than again Baudelaire was an insufferable git so :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The new Ducktales retconned it so that Donald's sister wasn't there when they were born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XFlS9AGWA

New version also retconned their names to Hubert, Dewford, and Llewellyn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's cool how people really like bad animated cartoons now.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's cool how people really like bad animated cartoons now.

That's nothing new though, bad animation has been around forever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kamrat posted:

That's nothing new though, bad animation has been around forever.

Yeah we all watched them as kids but we didn't like them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that Belgium's origin as practically an accounting error in the power struggle of bigger powers around it isn't really unique and Switzerland, Finland, Poland, and Ukraine have similar deals, and I really don't know much about what makes a people or what cultures are more distinct or "valid".
Similar deals in what way? The examples seem pretty different to me.

- Switzerland built itself up from the ground up, and has existed as a de facto independent state similar to what it is today for like 500 years.
- Finland is basically just a province that was recognized as inhabited by a distinct people for centuries, no matter the overlord, which finally become a sovereign state around a hundred years ago.
- Poland has gone from a multicultural empire to being split between empires, reforming, being split again, and then finally being reconstituted in partially new territory alongside a massive population transfer to make it extremely ethnically homogeneous.
- Ukraine I suppose is sort of similar to Poland, except its heyday was even further in the past and even more divorced from the modern state, and no one bothered to ensure it was ethnically homogeneous when it finally became independent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Isn't Ukraine independent kinda by accident? It was spun off from Russia in the middle of the 20th century when both nations were part of the USSR. Almost like a nation adding a new province. They clearly didn't expect the whole thing to fall apart a few decades later.

edit: oh Ukraine was also independent for all of two years from 1919-20 before being re-absorbed.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 13, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Isn't Ukraine independent kinda by accident? It was spun off from Russia in the middle of the 20th century when both nations were part of the USSR. Almost like a nation adding a new province. They clearly didn't expect the whole thing to fall apart a few decades later.
It was an SSR right from the start, but yeah, it was treated like just another province. Hence the fiddling with the borders after Stalin, which put Crimea and some of the eastern territories under Ukrainian administration.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It was an SSR right from the start, but yeah, it was treated like just another province. Hence the fiddling with the borders after Stalin, which put Crimea and some of the eastern territories under Ukrainian administration.

Ah, yes it was the transfer of Crimea I was thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

My favorite part about this is, it's not joking or merely 'estimating' with Alberta. They have really strict, well-observed rules about exterminating any rat infestation in the province. It's the one place in the world where you can absolutely guarantee that there are no infestations of rats in those borders.