Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TheKingslayer posted:

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

the "ages of Jericho" entrance at Double Or Nothing was remarkable as a spectacle and a claim on history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Op-m244vig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
He called it Sasorigatame which translates to Scorpion lock.

Apparently it's a Karl Gotch creation.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheKingslayer posted:

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSmGDYITQI

Kobashis last match entrance has the crowd blowing the roof off of the building. The shot of him sitting before he enters, clearly in tears, is really powerful.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TheKingslayer posted:

Spuckuk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSmGDYITQI

Kobashis last match entrance has the crowd blowing the roof off of the building. The shot of him sitting before he enters, clearly in tears, is really powerful.

It's this, but I've also got room in my heart for live music entrances. Bray's entrance at WM30 and Minoru Suzuki's at WK7 come to mind as the cream of the crop.

E:and now that I think about it Kobashi's entrance for Kobashi Vs Joe is another all timer. Those ROH fans are rabid for him and he seemed shocked that he was that popular in America

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 12, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVKZKthrpQ

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've only seen one Psycho Clown match. Does he rip his face off all the time or was that a special occasion?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I put on random wrestling streams on Youtube while I work from home, and one match that came up is Charlotte vs. Rousey at Survivor Series ('17?), and the match ends with Charlotte snapping and destroying Rousey with a chair, and the crowd goes nuts for her, but I thought Charlotte was heel. I wasn't watching WWE at the time, so was this the crowd just liking the weapon shots, or was Rousey disliked?

Also, holy poo poo, does Charlotte go "AH! AH! AH!" every few minutes in every match?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Only when she's going to sneeze.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red posted:

I put on random wrestling streams on Youtube while I work from home, and one match that came up is Charlotte vs. Rousey at Survivor Series ('17?), and the match ends with Charlotte snapping and destroying Rousey with a chair, and the crowd goes nuts for her, but I thought Charlotte was heel. I wasn't watching WWE at the time, so was this the crowd just liking the weapon shots, or was Rousey disliked?

It was a unique situation.

So at Summerslam, Becky Lynch turned on Charlotte and the crowd loved it. It was one of those situations where Charlotte was supposed to be the face and Becky was supposed to be the heel, but WWE was so godawful at telling the story that Becky came off as genuinely likable and sympathetic while Charlotte was just handed everything. WWE kept their feud going for a few months and still tried to push the narrative that Charlotte was the face and Becky was the heel. The crowd was not having it and started cheering Becky like she was the new Stone Cold no matter what she did. Eventually, WWE accepted that and she came out of her Charlotte feud the Smackdown Women's Champion.

Ronda Rousey was doing fine enough on Raw with the Goldberg push, but Survivor Series was supposed to be pushing champ vs. champ and it was obvious who the fans were going to get behind. Ronda was just as hand-picked by corporate as Charlotte was, even if it wasn't part of the narrative. The build for Ronda vs. Becky was exciting, but then Nia Jax accidentally smashed up Becky's face and she had to step down. Becky chose Charlotte to represent her in the match (which worked at the time, but Becky later treated as an OOC moment).

Charlotte snapping and beating Ronda with a chair was partially WWE trying to get her over in the way Becky got over, but since she was basically representing Becky and acting like her in spirit, the crowd was behind her at the moment.

Ronda never really did win the crowd back after being paired against Becky to begin with.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
To spin off something else that just came up: Besides The Undertaker using the tombstone piledriver and Sting using the scorpion hold/scorpion deathlock, what other wrestlers had finisher choices that were dictated by the move or hold's established name fitting with their gimmicks?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'll be honest, the first time I heard the term "Tombstone Piledriver" was when The Undertaker debuted. Before that, I'd always heard called something like a "Reverse Piledriver."

Like, they never called it a "Tombstone" when Don "The Rock" Muraco used it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Was it always called a "Jackknife Powerbomb" long before Diesel started using it?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Davros1 posted:

I'll be honest, the first time I heard the term "Tombstone Piledriver" was when The Undertaker debuted. Before that, I'd always heard called something like a "Reverse Piledriver."

Like, they never called it a "Tombstone" when Don "The Rock" Muraco used it.
It was called a tombstone in Japan when Dynamite Kid used it. And when The Undertaker debuts as a surprise, Gorilla already knows the name of his finish because it's the generic name of the move.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Was it always called a "Jackknife Powerbomb" long before Diesel started using it?
Nope. Though I believe "jackknife pin" already existed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

davidbix posted:

To spin off something else that just came up: Besides The Undertaker using the tombstone piledriver and Sting using the scorpion hold/scorpion deathlock, what other wrestlers had finisher choices that were dictated by the move or hold's established name fitting with their gimmicks?

Chikara's Hermit Crab would do Boston Crab variations. If it counts, the Proletariat Boar of Moldova would do the spear, but they would insist it's the gore like with Rhyno.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

I don't remember if Ultimo Dragon used the Dragon Sleeper before getting that gimmick but what a funny coincidence if he was.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Nick Jr. Face posted:

My understanding is that Nash's Jackknife is not actually a jackknife but a release powerbomb, and the jackknife was originally a completely different version of the powerbomb, but I might have some or all of that wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The High Knee! Booty Man with the High Knee!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

How long has the camel clutch had its name?

At least a handful of Middle Eastern wrestlers used it.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Does Kizarny doing a tiltawhirl backbreaker count?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

davidbix posted:

fire ant had mastery over every fire-related move including the burning hammer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mark Mero started using the TKO in WWF when he switched from The Wild Man gimmick to the boxer gimmick

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Pretty sure the only reason it was called "Jackknife" Powerbomb was because Nash was "Diesel" with a truck motif. Kind of like how Adam Bomb's pump handle slam was "The Meltdown".

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Alaois posted:

Mark Mero started using the TKO in WWF when he switched from The Wild Man gimmick to the boxer gimmick
That was where it got the name, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Davros1 posted:

Pretty sure the only reason it was called "Jackknife" Powerbomb was because Nash was "Diesel" with a truck motif. Kind of like how Adam Bomb's pump handle slam was "The Meltdown".

Which is bizarre, because I'm pretty sure they called Diesel's turnbuckle toss thing the Snake Eyes, which was named from his time as Vinnie Vegas.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Did the Brain Busters routinely use a brainbuster at any point? I don't remember it being a signature of theirs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Did the Brain Busters routinely use a brainbuster at any point? I don't remember it being a signature of theirs.

Pretty sure their tandem finish was a spike piledriver

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

Which is bizarre, because I'm pretty sure they called Diesel's turnbuckle toss thing the Snake Eyes, which was named from his time as Vinnie Vegas.

Did it originate there? I've always heard it called Snake Eyes and I'd be surprised if it stuck because of Vinnie Vegas of all gimmicks. Did nobody else do it or call it that again until Diesel turned up and started doing it in WWE?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Technically, they should've been called "The Brain's Busters", because they were given that name because they were managed by Heenan.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Inspired by discussion in the The Chris Regal Memorial thread: could Steve Austin and/or The Rock have become as big of a deal if WWF had been PG?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Inspired by discussion in the The Chris Regal Memorial thread: could Steve Austin and/or The Rock have become as big of a deal if WWF had been PG?

I think so. The Rock is a more surefire thing in my head than Austin. Austin relied on a lot of non-PG things but I think he could've worked around it, he probably just wouldn't have been as cool looking back. If WWE had always been PG, though, I don't think people would have expected him to be swearing and drinking beers so I think they'd have taken what they could get?

The Rock used some non-PG phrases and stuff, but his overall shtick was more goofy/mocking/poo poo heel than a serious badass like Austin in that era. At worst he wouldn't be able to say "candy rear end" or call people bitches as often.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

No one can say for sure, but the most likely scenario involves them coming in hot from the indy’s, they spend 1-3 years in nxt, get called up, go on Raw/Smackdown for 3 weeks before Vince gets bored and then they spend the next 4 years on Main Event. 50/50 chance they become known as Bootlickers and/or Chuds.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 12, 2021

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the best Public Enemy match?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Davros1 posted:

That's what I was looking for clarification on. I always knew the WWF christened it the Jackknife because of Diesel, but was wondering if that's what they always called that "version" of the powerbomb long before Diesel arrived (per Bix's question about wrestlers using already-existing finishers with names that fit their gimmicks)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the best Public Enemy match?

Probably vs Sabu & The Tazmaniac from ECW Hardcore TV 31/1/95, which somehow got ****1/4 from Meltzer. Or the No Rope Barb Wire match against the Funks from Heatwave 94. And I dunno, one of their matches with the Steiners in WCW I guess is in consideration

But honestly, the matches really aren't why Public Enemy were fun to watch, it was the promos, it was the incredibly dumb characters, the spectacle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did anyone mention Mordecai using the Cruxifix Powerbomb yet?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sandman McMahon posted:

No one can say for sure, but the most likely scenario involves them coming in hot from the indy’s, they spend 1-3 years in nxt, get called up, go on Raw/Smackdown for 3 weeks before Vince gets bored and then they spend the next 4 years on Main Event. 50/50 chance they become known as Bootlickers and/or Chuds.

It's not that hard to do anti-authority even in a PG setting, especially if your PG antics edge slightly towards a higher rating, but if WWF had the presentation of today's WWE back then he'd have stayed the Ringmaster forever. Rock also would've stayed Blue Chipper Rocky Maivia forever, except for a probable stint as a Samoan savage.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The WWE wishes Roman was the Rock and Rock could 1000% have made the post Shield Roman push work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

Nope, but to be fair neither of them used it as a finisher that I recall. I believe their tandem finisher was a spike piledriver if Arn didn't just hit the Spinebuster or whatever. The only person I think who did use the move at the time was Koko but he didn't exactly get a lot of chances to use said finishing move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

When Arn and Tully first made their WWF debut, their finisher was Arn hitting the Spinebuster, followed up by Tully performing the Slingshot Suplex. They later switched to the Spike Piledriver, which the announcers made out to be a dastardly move, since it was supposed to be "banned" at the time.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 13, 2021