Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
nah, you gotta make a purchase in tf2 proper. Having no other steam poo poo does give you low trust factor, but iirc they havent said theyre using it on tf2 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

nah, you gotta make a purchase in tf2 proper. Having no other steam poo poo does give you low trust factor, but iirc they havent said theyre using it on tf2 yet

Before the bot thing, making any purchase on your steam account upgraded your TF2 account to be able to... i think trade or something?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Iirc thats a steam proper thing. Like you cant use the community market or trade unless youve purchased something in the past year etc. I had that happen on my two alt accounts and cant quite remember the details

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Frida Call Me posted:

You need to spend money on TF2, specifically.

https://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php
You can buy 2 keys in the TF2 store (exactly the 5$ you need to spend, unless that changed?), then sell them on the steam marketplace for almost as much you paid for them. I'm sure there are more obscure items that actually sell for more than they cost on the store? At least that's what Spiffing Biscuit claimed on some old video?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 11, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'd recommend buying 2 keys - sell one to recoup $2 in Steam Credits (usable to buy other games) and sell the other key for metal at scrap.tf.

Then, use the metal on scrap.tf to go shopping for new weapons to fill in the gaps in your collection, and use whatevers left over to buy hats/cosmetics through scrap.tf.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

For what it's worth, one key is 51 ref right now. Which is 459 scrap. Which is 918 weapons. Or, if you just bought hats, 30 random various hats. Keys are worth a lot!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
scrap.tf even has a convenient "autobuy" feature which will look through your inventory and automatically select all the weapons you don't own and trade them to you, you just put in the right amount of scrap and you instantly have a complete set.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jewel posted:

huh, I thought I did remember it activating if you bought another game on steam, just so valve has some of your money so there's an actual punishment for a vac ban -- I feel like I would've remembered a lot more outrage about "fake free to play" had it been spend on tf2 only all this time, but maybe it has!

The rules for "what makes your TF2 account premium" haven't changed, but I think the communication ban on non-premium accounts might be new-ish. I think "premium" status has always only granted backpack size, some crafting stuff, and the ability to trade (back when trading was in-game).

When trading moved to the Steam-managed system, I bet they no longer required TF2 premium to trade tf2 items, just any money on steam. That's probably muddied the waters more here.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 10, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paul MaudDib posted:

scrap.tf even has a convenient "autobuy" feature which will look through your inventory and automatically select all the weapons you don't own and trade them to you, you just put in the right amount of scrap and you instantly have a complete set.

Being able to turn a bunch of poo poo 3-4 cent trading cards into keys is awesome, thanks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this was being hinted at by a bunch of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxyy5AthJU

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

ArfJason posted:

Signed up for the beta. Cautiously optimistic, but I really wonder if the playerbase will hold up.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

the idea of just saying "yeah i'll play a round of tf2" and being able to just do that without joining midway through a game is soooo good -- plus the antibot and being able to bring along a group of friends, this sounds exactly like what I've been craving; and no other current pvp fps that already has these features is very good imo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just bring back 20/24 player gravelpit valve servers that would then cycle to junction immediately IMO

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ArfJason posted:

Um. What is facebit? What's happening?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jewel posted:

the idea of just saying "yeah i'll play a round of tf2" and being able to just do that without joining midway through a game is soooo good -- plus the antibot and being able to bring along a group of friends, this sounds exactly like what I've been craving; and no other current pvp fps that already has these features is very good imo

The tf2lobby days were great and while this isn't exactly the same it's still cool

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The tf2lobby days were great and while this isn't exactly the same it's still cool

I personally just dont like tryharding in a 6v6, it's the same reason overwatch gets toxic and weird, I just wanna chill and not be such a crucial backbone

Xander77 posted:

Um. What is facebit? What's happening?

faceit is a matchmaking service for a ton of games, and they're coming to 12v12 casual tf2

essentially, click a button to queue on a website (optionally with a party of your friends!) and you get put into a fresh full 12v12 server from minute 0, then you get put back in the queue after the game. easy, no bots, no finding a server, no joining midgame

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is this like an official partnership with valve or is this like a third party service that you sign up for and the pool of players is limited to other people who signed up

Jewel
May 2, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

So is this like an official partnership with valve or is this like a third party service that you sign up for and the pool of players is limited to other people who signed up

3rd party, but faceit's been around for a long time with a substantial userbase for games like csgo

e: also it doesn't require any clients or anything, it's all just web based to queue -- csgo needs you to use their anticheat client but they're not making it mandatory for tf2 unless you get flagged for potentially hacking

Jewel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 12, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah faceit is huge so i dont doubt itll get ppl and infrastructure

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
does it do any kind of skill based matchmaking? it's kind of appealing but idk if i wanna be thrown in with a bunch of competitive players, although it beats the hell out of cheaters or bots.

do you still need to run an FPS config on this game or something? i pointed my new rig (3300x and 3070) at it and it felt like it was struggling to maintain 100-150fps which seems extremely not right.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Delfy posted a video about it so that might bring in even more people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9aB-uSTlA

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If it only lets you join in on new games don't the games eventually empty out? I remember when Valve first introduced casual matchmaking it did the same thing, but the problem was a round would be slightly uneven, a few people would quit, and then suddenly the slightly better team is up 12v5 as everyone else on the losing side also quits.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baron von Eevl posted:

If it only lets you join in on new games don't the games eventually empty out? I remember when Valve first introduced casual matchmaking it did the same thing, but the problem was a round would be slightly uneven, a few people would quit, and then suddenly the slightly better team is up 12v5 as everyone else on the losing side also quits.

yup that's the downside to no autobalance, battlefield V has the same problem. autobalance isn't just a "move good players to the other team" mechanism, it prevents teams from getting numerically stacked to the extent that one team can never win.

in this kind of setting what you do is you have a penalty for leaving before the match is over, like overwatch. it doesn't have to be explicitly in the context of a ranked system but if dumping a match gets you an hour's timeout when you can't join a match then people will think twice about it unless they really need to leave immediately for some reason, and build a general norm of not joining matches that you don't plan on finishing.

I generally think autobalance is not as bad a thing as players make it out to be. Nobody likes to be autobalanced but when autobalance is happening, one team is down far enough that they basically can't win. If you have a lobby format where new players are not allowed to queue in then I think you need to have a mechanism where hitting some critical imbalance of player count (maybe 9v12) triggers an automatic forfeit for the rest of the players. Realistically at that point there's no chance of an equal-skilled team fighting through a 3+ player disadvantage, even before you get into the skill imbalances that usually result in players ragequitting (it's likely 9 noobs vs 12 sweaties and even getting them back up to 12 noobs isn't going to change the tide).

People really really whine about autobalance but it's even worse to be on a team of 5 idiots going against 12 sweaties and just getting spawncamped for 15 minutes straight. Game over, I'm out, that poo poo's not fun and that's explicitly a large part of what's killed Battlefield V, nobody's going to sit through that, and that leads to normalizing the behavior of players leaving unbalanced matches (which is the exact opposite of what you want). Fixing the players getting autobalanced back and forth thing is more desirable than just having teams get super wildly out of balance and doing nothing about it.

That or when teams get super imbalanced you trigger a force scramble, ignoring parties/squadding (because that's almost always the major factor leading to imbalanced teams in the first place).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 12, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i honestly always really liked team scrambles from circa 2012. you dont feel like youre getting the poo poo end of the stick. it resets the round so you dont get to eat poo poo for helping the other team win. the way it scrambled was very obvious and blunt and not super effective (it ordered players by total score, then went down the list assigning one player to one team, one player to the other, and so forth) but it was *miles* better than sending one singular poor soul to the other team to eat poo poo for 5 minutes because they dont know how to use ubercharge.

also the problem with vac is they use cheat signatures, which if im not mistaken is harder to check for in linux, which is where the bots are hosted in. not to mention that getting them vac banned means *nothing* since they can generate accounts practically instantly. i forgot which video i saw it in, but they showed the bot program's GUI and it's insane how streamlined it all is. you could see the bots start creating accounts and automatically completing all steps of verification themselves with minimal input by the user. this addded to the fact that vac usually waits a bit before banning an account means it is insanely ineffective. what *could* help is vacnet, but having played thousands of hours of CS:GO, i personally never saw many obvious spinbotters to begin with, but even then i dont think it ended up being all that effective. maybe it could work with the intentionally unsubtle bots in tf2.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ah here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjcX94nec3g&t=231s

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ArfJason posted:

i honestly always really liked team scrambles from circa 2012. you dont feel like youre getting the poo poo end of the stick. it resets the round so you dont get to eat poo poo for helping the other team win. the way it scrambled was very obvious and blunt and not super effective (it ordered players by total score, then went down the list assigning one player to one team, one player to the other, and so forth) but it was *miles* better than sending one singular poor soul to the other team to eat poo poo for 5 minutes because they dont know how to use ubercharge.

yeah definitely, I think I enjoyed scramble more too.

autobalance isn't a great system and I'm not defending it on the merits but you hit a point where things obviously aren't working and players are leaving, and at that point you really need to do something, whether that's autobalance, scramble, or forfeit the round. I'm just saying that doing nothing is worse than autobalance because it just accelerates the players leaving -> team gets stomped even harder feedback loop. And long term it burns that "ok, we're losing, time to leave" logic into players which is the biggest problem of all. you absolutely want to "train" players to stick around and try to fight through it, not to leave.

the bot problem already makes people pretty frisky on the "time to leave" thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 12, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
it also felt to me that after a couple scrambles all that got averaged out eventually and teams got into very long rounds... god we had it so good back then

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's really cool how in modern tf2, even if you do get a good balanced team comp, you play like one round and then the map ends, half the people leave, and you're back to imbalanced teams

you don't get to play a 24/7 upward server where the teams eventually figure themselves out and you get round after round of intense close games any more

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Or when after a couple maps the server flat out ends. What the gently caress is up with *that*

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like to be autobalanced.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I regularly quit a game if I get autobalanced. Well, if I don't manage to type retry in console in time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

If it only lets you join in on new games don't the games eventually empty out?

Not sure how it's gonna be used on tf2 but FACEIT typically has afk/leaver penalties on queueing, so typically you're gonna have a match, finish it, then get put back into the queue -- like any other modern matchmade game, except this time its 12v12 so it's less frustratingly competitive. I do wonder how it's gonna the specifics are gonna work exactly though. (Especially with 2fort as a possible map selection..?)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah definitely, I think I enjoyed scramble more too.

autobalance isn't a great system and I'm not defending it on the merits but you hit a point where things obviously aren't working and players are leaving, and at that point you really need to do something, whether that's autobalance, scramble, or forfeit the round. I'm just saying that doing nothing is worse than autobalance because it just accelerates the players leaving -> team gets stomped even harder feedback loop. And long term it burns that "ok, we're losing, time to leave" logic into players which is the biggest problem of all. you absolutely want to "train" players to stick around and try to fight through it, not to leave.

the bot problem already makes people pretty frisky on the "time to leave" thing.

Sometimes it's not really a stomp and doing nothing really is the right thing, though. If the game is trucking along and one side is doing fine despite nominally being down 10 v 12 pulling a contributing member off the larger team can create a steamroll where there wasn't one before, especially if people immediately start bailing because their buddy got switched. The game seems reluctant to immediately re-autobalance so I've gotten stuck at a persistent numerical disadvantage because the game tried to fix a mich smaller numerical advantage.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

had a few games with FACEIT today -- honestly a ton of fun. I really wasn't liking tf2 for a few years because everything felt a little too hazy -- of just jumping into a server and it being a flurry of joiners and leavers with no clear gameplan; and finally being able to just have one solid match with the same people who're actually using comms to try and strategise is a breath of fresh air; doubly so that i can bring friends

i managed to get a key early but public opening is next sunday, would def recommend at least trying it then!

e: oh also yeah games are only 10-30 minutes tops because it's just a standard competetive format "one team pushes payload as a measure and then the other has to push it further to win" or "first to 3 wins on koth" so it's pretty snappy and nobody leaves midgame unless their internet/game dies really

e2: reading up on a Q&A from reddit, here's an interesting chunk

quote:

The best way we think we can address "friendly" and "tryhard" topic in particular, is by making sure that everyone can easily find others players that have the same mentality and way to play the game - which is something we are going to provide with a new tool called “Community Clans” where, in short, players will be able to join a closed and moderated community where players can easily jump on a lobby and play the next match with other players from the same closed community.

I'd love this since it's essentially the old community server model except with a matchmade pool it means that servers don't live or die based on how many people are in them at any one time (and you don't have to struggle to work out how many servers are needed to be up at any one time to support your communities), that's actually a suuuper good way to make matchmaking feel like a closeknit thing like server browser always did

Jewel fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 14, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do you just sign into their website and it gives you a connect to paste into your console?

I haven't actually played tf2 for a while but this sounds really good. I will give it a go.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I really wonder if this face it thing will be able to keep up a playerbase. Tf2 center takes forever to get off the ground last I checked, but maybe the more casual environment will help it idk.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vaah posted:

I really wonder if this face it thing will be able to keep up a playerbase. Tf2 center takes forever to get off the ground last I checked, but maybe the more casual environment will help it idk.

I think just being able to play with out racist bots will be a big draw.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If faceit attracts and holds a large enough community it could really revitalize interest in this game so I hope it does well, even now there's really no game that scratches that tf2 itch

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Also if you already have access to the private beta up to 10 people can use a referral link to enter it right away. If you wanted to use mine you can go here: https://www.faceit.com/en/r/GbMgUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Simsmagic posted:

Also if you already have access to the private beta up to 10 people can use a referral link to enter it right away. If you wanted to use mine you can go here: https://www.faceit.com/en/r/GbMgUT

thanks