Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is turning into a three sided front...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

contribute what, they occasionally get like one scene in each chapter where one of them gets a plot thing to do and kazuichi is given some token reason to exist in each one but the story does basically nothing to change up their dynamics with each other or give the sense that any of them grow closer together as the cast dwindles down. sonia and akane have like two moments in the entire game where they actually feel like friends

danganronpa 1's cast does less on an objective level to help i guess but as characters with relationships they feel overall more considered than anyone in dr2 really gets outside of komaeda, hajime and chiaki

my issues with dr2 honestly have absolutely nothing to do with dr3, dr2 itself just really failed on any level to make me connect with its characters or themes because at every possible step it makes the least interesting choice on how to build them up. like akane's free times are decent and made me like her overall but in the main story she really does not get all that much

I think there's about the same level of cast relationships in 2 as 1, honestly. A lot of 1's cast don't really come off too strongly with how they relate to other characters, imo. (probably dont need to spoiler but I'll do so to be safe) Celestia, fat guy, and hagakure could more or less be cut without much being lost, saying fukawa or leon have much of a relationship with anyone is a bit of a stretch, and 'junko' doesn't really do much except add an extra body (she's pretty meaningless as a character outside of the 'what if' story). That's honestly... not much less than DR2?

Even as someone who likes DR1 and 2 I think you might be overestimating how good 1 is about the cast, as opposed to undervaluing 2.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DR2 ftl...v3 ftw

v3? more like... L3. because it's a big L.

gotem

The Black Stones posted:

People who enjoy a gacha are like “no, but this one is different and look how it’s actually good” and they just don’t realize it’s the one gacha that’s managed to hook them enough to ignore all the bullshit that comes with a gacha game.

I’ve tried enough of them to know they’re not for me. Yes, I’ve played F:GO, and yes it seemed like it was good. I also quickly ran into the “we’re trickling rewards at you now so if you don’t like your party maybe you should spend some money” part of the game and quickly stopped playing because screw that. So whenever a gacha defender pulls the “no no you should play this because it actually respects your time and money.” I want to punch them in the face because they have definitely ignored the parts where it doesn’t because they like the gameplay loop enough to look past it.

Did grouchio probably overreact? Sure, it’s Grouchio. Are the gacha defenders starting to warrant it? Also Yes.

I play like 6 gacha games and I 100% acknowledge my life would probably have been better off if that number was always 0.

That being said, grouchio's weird insecure outburst deserves to be laughed at.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been another attempt to do anime adaptations of western series/cartoons/comics like they did with Wolverine, Supernatural and such in the early 10's?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

People who enjoy a gacha are like “no, but this one is different and look how it’s actually good” and they just don’t realize it’s the one gacha that’s managed to hook them enough to ignore all the bullshit that comes with a gacha game.

I’ve tried enough of them to know they’re not for me. Yes, I’ve played F:GO, and yes it seemed like it was good. I also quickly ran into the “we’re trickling rewards at you now so if you don’t like your party maybe you should spend some money” part of the game and quickly stopped playing because screw that. So whenever a gacha defender pulls the “no no you should play this because it actually respects your time and money.” I want to punch them in the face because they have definitely ignored the parts where it doesn’t because they like the gameplay loop enough to look past it.

Did grouchio probably overreact? Sure, it’s Grouchio. Are the gacha defenders starting to warrant it? Also Yes.

fantasizing about punching people in the face for liking a video game is also a bit crazy lol

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Has there been another attempt to do anime adaptations of western series/cartoons/comics like they did with Wolverine, Supernatural and such in the early 10's?

Spider-Man: Fake Red comes to mind, but despite being really good it didn't sell well and got killed off.

e: Oh wait do you mean anime specifically not manga? I think there was that powerpuff girls series, and a couple of shorts like Altered Carbon: Resleeved and Bladerunner Blackout.

Did have to check to see if the latter two were actually japanese and not frenchime or something, though. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 13, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

Pacific Rim just started airing on Netflix if you count 3DCG stuff

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

fantasizing about punching people in the face for liking a video game is also a bit crazy lol

It’s pretty obvious that’s hyperbole about dealing with frustrating people. No Endorph, I do not literally fantasize about punching people who endorse gacha games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

It’s pretty obvious that’s hyperbole about dealing with frustrating people. No Endorph, I do not literally fantasize about punching people who endorse gacha games.

i think arknights is a gacha that respects your time and is worth playing :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, doesn't necessarily have to be anime. Just kinda remembering that for, what, like a year and a half? two years? there were like 5 or 6 one-cour Marvel anime series (I recall Wolverine, X-Men and Iron Man off the top of my head) plus that two-cour Supernatural anime.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i think arknights is a gacha that respects your time and is worth playing :)

How many runs does it take to promote a unit to e2 on average, again?

I actually think arknights is one of the worst gachas for respecting your time, that I've played at least.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
*starts dusting off my “punching gacha defenders” gloves*

You uhhhhh. Wouldn’t have your address handy to PM me. I uhhhhhh, want to send you some cash for being such a good poster. Yeah. That’s it. Totally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Genshin impact ftw. Blue Reflection ftw.. Priconne? That's some Win. Don't get me started on Uma Musume...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the gachas with super cute girls that hang out.

Super cute boys are also acceptable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i should mention that i dont really particularly love danganronpa 1 either and i don't think it's a shining example of perfect character writing and there are individual characters in dr2 i liked more

but dr1 never pulls poo poo as cheap as chapter 3 and chapter 4 and it never makes decisions that literally cut off character arcs the moment it implies their existence

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

*starts dusting off my “punching gacha defenders” gloves*

You uhhhhh. Wouldn’t have your address handy to PM me. I uhhhhhh, want to send you some cash for being such a good poster. Yeah. That’s it. Totally.

cash? i will spend this on rolls in gacha games :twisted:

Acerbatus posted:

How many runs does it take to promote a unit to e2 on average, again?

I actually think arknights is one of the worst gachas for respecting your time, that I've played at least.
yea but i can just tap it to autobattle and do something else and thatll take all my sanity.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arknights woulda been much better if they had skip tickets tbh. Doing annihilation repeats every week at x2 speed still takes so long it's ridiculous.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Arknights woulda been much better if they had skip tickets tbh. Doing annihilation repeats every week at x2 speed still takes so long it's ridiculous.

idk i just take it as ten minutes to keep it in the background while i do other stuff

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's still the opposite of respecting your time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

yea but i can just tap it to autobattle and do something else and thatll take all my sanity.

Arknights' stamina is called sanity? drat they really go hard on aesthetic, huh.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

95% of Arknights dev time goes into aesthetic, 4% into gameplay and 1% into UX and convenience.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 13, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Arknights' stamina is called sanity? drat they really go hard on aesthetic, huh.

No, why would you assume that? :haw:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's still the opposite of respecting your time.

i mean comparable to fgo...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

95% of Arknights dev time goes into aesthetic
Dev Time Goals right here.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah. FGO doesn't even need mentioning in how fail it is when it comes to convenience. I'm glad it's finally starting to lag behind in popularity. Might be the wakeup call it needs for QOL additions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that autobattle in it is a third party app in the year of our lord 2021 is insane

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Dev Time Goals right here.

Being a patreon artist type I can't say I hate it, but I think the gachas I like (well, err more towards love in a love-hate relationship) are things like Honkai and Girls Frontline which just do constant incredibly weird things with their gameplay because someone went to work with an idea and they just HAD to put it in!

Probably just my perception, though. I like to think that even for gacha games, a few people working on them are working on them out of love and not just for a paycheck but that's probably not the case.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah. FGO doesn't even need mentioning in how fail it is when it comes to convenience. I'm glad it's finally starting to lag behind in popularity. Might be the wakeup call it needs for QOL additions.

FGO is going to die before it adds NP skip lol

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Genshin impact ftw. Blue Reflection ftw.. Priconne? That's some Win. Don't get me started on Uma Musume...

do you mean blue archive or is there a blue reflection mobage

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I meant blue archive but said reflection cuz i was listening to the OST lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean there are absolutely some people working on gacha games who genuinely want to do weird and interesting stuff otherwise they'd all be written like dry paint chips all the time, rather than ever having notably fun and interesting scenes or events

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah if anything gacha games are the most buoyed by creator passion cause once a gacha game is successful its basically guaranteed to run forever regardless of what it does

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have absolutely no problem with people enjoying/gushing about FGO. Furnaceface's sell sounded like a street drug peddler so I went 'no thank you' and 'have you considered the big fiscal ask of your gacha commitment?' It was like being asked to invest in warhammer figurines.

lih posted:

danganronpa v3 does a way better job with its characters i feel, there's only really a few that are dead weight
Hear hear. Heck, I thought the DR2 characters were a step up from loving Hagakure.
Kokichi is one of my favorite chaotic neutrals of all time.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 13, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
danganronpa v3 does a way better job with its characters i feel, there's only really a few that are dead weight

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know Granblue Fantasy has done a lot of Quality of Life changes that make the game way easier to play and manage and it has some great character (but it's still a gacha game please free from gacha hell)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hagakure is funny. he's the only guy in all of danganronpa who's legitimately just a normal dude with no real specific quirks, just kinda polite and awkward and has good handwriting

danganronpa 2 tries to repeat his gag with kazuichi and it's way less funny cause kazuichi's way more of an obnoxious cartoon boy

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 13, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Having only played DR1 recently (due to in no small part Akudama Drive), yeah, I liked Hiro. :3:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/rubysp_720/status/1368544407197081602

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also lmaoing at the genshin kiddies in qrts crying that it's not fair to compare a 7 year old game to a new one and that being generous would lose them money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/1370559459538259975

we all stand united...