Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I feel like this should prob be the purest form of "poo poo banned under the 5th amendment" but don't mess with texas I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
woo-guy, texas ranger

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
👁 when youre in Texas look behind you 👁

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marzzle posted:

I feel like this should prob be the purest form of "poo poo banned under the 5th amendment" but don't mess with texas I guess

most of "forensic science" is absolute bullshit, from "fire science" where you "think like fire", to hair analysis that is 96% flawed, to the good old lie detector

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Settling for the Jolly West/McVeigh connection while I wait for the Jolly West/Kaczynski connection.

https://twitter.com/BTH_Bill/status/1369865029231775746

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Please. Why is it all connected

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

very true, I've been on all sides of that (student, technician, researcher) and basically no one takes it seriously and everyone is more or less from the same socio-economic background (not only university student, but more specifically freshman in psych 1)

IMO the bigger problem is the statistics. Psych and other fields rely on a statistical method where (to oversimplify) if your theory is wrong, there is still a 5% chance that the results will confirm it. That sounds fine, if 5% of studies are wrong, maybe it's unavoidable. But when you consider that researchers will discard negative results and keep trying until they confirm their theory, and journals will reject negative results and accept positive ones, especially if the results are "surprising", then it could be that those 5% of studies that are wrong are specifically the ones more likely to be published.

Imagine if every single psychology theory in the world is wrong. Every single experiment is based on a hypothesis that is incorrect. In this hypothetical, still 5% of those studies would (incorrectly) confirm their hypothesis. And those 5% would be the studies that get published, rather than the 95% of studies in which "insufficient evidence was found to confirm the hypothesis". We could very well be in this scenario where no one knows anything but still 5% of studies show a positive result only by chance, and those are the studies that people talk about.

imo the bigger problem is that academic psychology has no method to speak of at all. it doesn't even have a way of measuring the phenomena it purports to explain. where is behavior? what is behavior? it's whatever I define it to be, and it's where I can conveniently sample that. but that isn't a problem for psychology. its actually good, because at least since skinner, and especially since the cognitive revolution, academic psychology has been in the business of reifying individualism. if you aren't taking the individual as your basic unit of analysis for behavior, then outside of niche theoretical spaces like ecological psychology and perceptual control theory, you are by informal definition not doing psychology. no one's saying "it's wrong to research behavior that way", but no one in psychology will fund it, because it isn't, conceptually, psychology. it isn't sociology either. it isn't really any major academic field. but it is counter-terrorism. it is command and control. :nsa:

the big consequence of that is how it plays out over time. cognitive psychology in particular is basically multi-agent solipsism: only the individual is real. all the things between and comprising individuals? mere illusions. this affords nonsensical hypotheses, like sitting on wobbly chairs leading to romantic breakups, or maybe you just come right out and say "working memory isn't meant to be an objective model of reality, it is merely a 'productive' model" and let people run with it. suppose we simulate the oversimplified model where all the hypotheses are objectively wrong but 5% make the cut. that's where the lack of method really comes in: each paper past the finish line becomes a new node in the belief network, and each of those 5% of papers can be used to generate new nodes, and the 5% of those can be added to the first 5%, and so forth. phds are minted, careers are made. a few generations later, you have an entire belief network with all the trappings of peer review and statistics, which still affords infinite degrees of explanatory freedom, and if it was ever otherwise, no living person can remember that. go ahead. publish a critique of my stupid bullshit. it only makes my impact factor Higher.

the most ominous part of this thread to me isn't the who knows who, or anything technological. it's stuff like the paper on using fractional-order systems to control engineer belief. it hints the mic feels a need for such methods that has evolved from the first conceptual papers I read only a decade before that one was published, like this one on inhibiting adaptation. that adaptation paper's abstract has always stuck with me over the years. the applications beyond ct and c&c seemed immediately graspable to me. it's deeply disconcerting for me to imagine a world where the ruling class has the ability to scientifically monitor and engineer if not what we believe, then the topology of beliefs. that's like a whole new level of divide and conquer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Settling for the Jolly West/McVeigh connection while I wait for the Jolly West/Kaczynski connection.

okay, thanks, that's it for me today, you've been a great crowd

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Check out The Simpsons takedown of Trump for a bad time.

my son really glommed on to that episode and memorized the list that came at the end.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

oh dear

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've been pinging about that Twitter thread for hours now. ordered the book and everything.

buy from the publisher! not from Amazon!

edit: this is loving Bananas 🍌

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Trabisnikof posted:

most of "forensic science" is absolute bullshit, from "fire science" where you "think like fire", to hair analysis that is 96% flawed, to the good old lie detector

but I mean how can you legally hypnotize someone to incriminate themselves

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder if hypnotism works better after you keep somebody isolated in their cell with no sleep for a couple of days.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marzzle posted:

but I mean how can you legally hypnotize someone to incriminate themselves

i think they mainly used it on victims and "witnesses" because they're lazy

quote:

It was nearly 5 a.m. on July 23, 1988, and remnants of the summer heat lingered indignantly. As paramedics walked Barbre to an ambulance, police briefly debated asking crime scene technicians to gather evidence, like blood samples and fingerprints. But it was a hectic Saturday and the officers were swamped with other calls. They never requested the techs.

That morning, Barbre told police she did not know who assaulted her, a responding officer said. Two weeks later, police noted, “Complainant advised that she cannot identify suspect.”

Police had a theory but no physical evidence. They had a victim but no other witnesses.

More than 1,000 pages of investigative and legal records obtained by The Dallas Morning News detail how the initial police missteps in Barbre’s case led to a stalled investigation and, ultimately, a last-ditch effort to find the truth through hypnosis.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

another little gem from the DMN story last year:

quote:

U.S. Army criminal investigators still conduct hypnosis sessions in rare instances, a spokesman confirmed. The FBI and CIA have also performed hypnosis sessions, according to interviews with an FBI hypnotist and CIA documents showing the agency’s research of the practice. Both declined to comment on whether they still do.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I wonder if hypnotism works better after you keep somebody isolated in their cell with no sleep for a couple of days.

so did the cia

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

spoiler alert: it does

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That would imply the hynosis was what worked at all and not a cocktail of drugs and torture.

"Hey, watch this swinging watch, ignore any jab in your arm and pay attention to me"

nut
Jul 30, 2019

pentyne posted:

That would imply the hynosis was what worked at all and not a cocktail of drugs and torture.

"Hey, watch this swinging watch, ignore any jab in your arm and pay attention to me"

this is from Henry Lee Lucas' wikipedia article (sourcing an old times article you need their archives to get) before that pic I posted of him all buddy buddy with the Texas Rangers

"In November 1983, Lucas was transferred to a jail in Williamson County, Texas. He reported that he attempted suicide after receiving rough treatment by the inmates, and claimed that police stripped him naked, denied him cigarettes and bedding, held him in a cold cell, tortured his genitalia, and did not allow him to contact an attorney."

nut
Jul 30, 2019

In other words, why not both?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pentyne posted:

both can be true for different definitions of “worked” , loving with a mind is a gradient of effect after all

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Think mentioned before there is a pretty decent Netflix doc about Henry Lee and it goes into how the DA called bullshit on his confessions so the Texas rangers basically destroyed the DA's life. They were sending him death threats, tapping his phones, they even killed his dog. And they seem to have found out about the DA's suspicions of their methods because when he tried to search the crime database for Henry Lee's location relative to where each of his murders supposedly took place, the screen froze and the terminal he was using was flagged for unauthorised searches. Texas judicial system and law enforcement were using a version PROMIS by that point I am told, for an additional layer of 👁️

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I would like to watch that doc. Know what it’s called?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Loucks posted:

I would like to watch that doc. Know what it’s called?

The confession killer

It is drawn out way longer than it ought to be like all Netflix stuff but the DA eps are very interesting

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

mdemone posted:

okay, thanks, that's it for me today, you've been a great crowd

drat. this whole thread is wild. hooked me w the doc west connection. and then i was already 100% to domestic gladio before I realized the thread ended

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

gh0stpinballa posted:

Texas judicial system and law enforcement were using a version PROMIS by that point I am told, for an additional layer of 👁️

hmbol

nut
Jul 30, 2019

maybe a good time to remember the paper presented at a Psychology conference in Oslo by US Navy Lieutenant psychiatrist Thomas Narut about the military clockwork oranging soldiers and convicted criminals because he thought it was all gonna come out during the commission report looking into covert CIA operations.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/07/07/archives/navy-denies-charge-it-trains-assassins.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mark immune posted:

drat. this whole thread is wild. hooked me w the doc west connection. and then i was already 100% to domestic gladio before I realized the thread ended

how are we supposed to handle this and remain calm

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

pfff Seth “yeah I was hungover and missed being on American air 11 totally by accident” macfarlane?

real truth comin from that guy

I know the 9/11 Commission report is a joke, but he is on the passenger list and cancelled the flight at 6:34 that morning
Jump to page 40.
https://www.scribd.com/document/16762117/T7-B20-Flights-77-and-11-No-Show-Fdr-Entire-Contents-Notes-and-FBI-Reports-223

Happy Thread posted:

From today's news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/10/panda-express-california-worker-lawsuit/

So this is obviously some intelligence thing. Same pattern as what the church of Synanon did under the guise of drug addiction treatment... perfected even further since the 1970s intelligence front shared its findings. Get a captive audience in a room, make them feel vulnerable, and have a group take turns abusing each person, with letter agency funding. Also same thing as that psych "study" that traumatized the Unabomber.

Since there was historically so much emphasis on funding psych research, I always assumed the goal was to discover how to create sociopaths from normal individuals. Those seem to be the types of people most recruitable, most willing to do the work of intelligence. The therapy sessions of Synanon seemed to be practice sessions for honing ones willingness to commit abuse, perhaps into eventual sociopathy. But this Panda Express thing is clearly not aiming to do some small research on a group -- they're casting a much wider net, involving any random employee who wants a promotion. It seems more like a talent search.

Perhaps the goal isn't always to create sociopaths, but to instead find them where they are. How else would you mass spam recruitment efforts to sociopaths only? Can't ask them or the therapists. Neither would reveal it. No, you create these like summer camps where you play these games of abuse designed specifically to reveal who the willing sociopaths are, and then extend recruitment efforts to those test subjects only.
Self help speakers and their industry are already cult-like; intelligence might keep an eye on it but I doubt the cult like self help people have come up with anything the CIA didn't decades ago. I could easily be wrong, though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I know the 9/11 Commission report is a joke, but he is on the passenger list and cancelled the flight at 6:34 that morning
Jump to page 40.
https://www.scribd.com/document/16762117/T7-B20-Flights-77-and-11-No-Show-Fdr-Entire-Contents-Notes-and-FBI-Reports-223

weird that he told people he was ten minutes late to the plane when the report says that he cancelled his reservation an hour ahead of time :allears:

In an interview with Rove McManus, he said: "I was booked on the first flight that hit the tower and I was drinking the night before, overslept a little bit in conjunction with the fact that my travel agent screwed up the itinerary by about 15 minutes, so I arrived 10 minutes late to get on the plane."

"I got to the counter. And I said, yes, I'm booked on Flight 11. And the woman behind the counter said, you know, you're too late. They just closed the gate. And I said, all right. Well, you know, I'll take the 11:00.

the fbi interviewed everyone who didn’t show up, but not the people who cancelled, what a very specific distinction :thunk:

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Mar 13, 2021

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Perry Mason Jar posted:

lmfao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh yeah and then when family guy tanked, fox gave this kid with no other experience an entirely new show... about the cia... where the head of the cia is british. and originally they were going to make that character a pedophile

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was just trying to make a joke gdi

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

nut posted:

maybe a good time to remember the paper presented at a Psychology conference in Oslo by US Navy Lieutenant psychiatrist Thomas Narut about the military clockwork oranging soldiers and convicted criminals because he thought it was all gonna come out during the commission report looking into covert CIA operations.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/07/07/archives/navy-denies-charge-it-trains-assassins.html

quote:

Dr. Narut was quoted by a reporter, Peter Watson, as saying that the Navy training involved forcing men who were selected for their “passive‐aggressive personalities” to watch Increasingly horrific films of killing and maiming so as to generate detachment toward violence.

According to the newspaper, Dr. Narut said that Navy psychologists had picked men for commando‐type operations from among submarine crews, paratroops and “convicted murderers from military prisons.”

Military prisons...

...Remember HidingFromGoro's stories of those here? Sometimes he'd talk about the prison's lowest class, sex offenders. One of the things he noted about them that he thought was especially weird and inexplicable, was how they'd always be picked out to be "treated" all the time by the military psychologists. Particularly, some device hooked up to the penis to measure arousal while being shown images of god knows what.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 12:50 on Mar 13, 2021

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh yeah and then when family guy tanked, fox gave this kid with no other experience an entirely new show... about the cia... where the head of the cia is british. and originally they were going to make that character a pedophile

Remember Operation Northwoods, which the CIA really, really wanted to do back when Bush Sr was still young in it. Read about it if you don't remember what it was. President Kennedy nixed the idea, and was assassinated shortly after, in a plot alleged by some to have been organized by Bush Sr himself in retaliation. Then remember which particular individual deeply needed 9/11 to happen decades later, who allegedly organized it with the Saudi's.

Then be aware of how the flight paths of the two planes to hit the WTC crossed paths in an X with other flights at the same time, the X situated directly over a military installation, just like in the exact sort of sleight of hand trick proposed for Operation Northwoods. There's a few youtubers who I've seen demonstrate it. Perhaps the former President was just that attached to his clever plan from the old days.

Not to say that nobody was on those planes, I doubt that, but if the flight lists indeed happened to have been mostly padded with fake spook identity names for a smoother operation, the same way proposed for Operation Northwoods, then perhaps Seth got a phone call the night before warning him that real people with name recognition weren't allowed on that flight, cancel please, and in exchange for your silence we have some lifelong perks.

He tells the story because it was a defining moment for the rest of his life, he just can't say why.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Mar 14, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel like, since 2016 the media has shown how in bed they are with certain groups of people, it does kind of scan that someone with the right ties to get a show on FOX might get a friendly phone call in this case.

Like, I truly believe all that poo poo is more or less state media in the land of capitalism; everything allowed on the air is there to form a band around what kinds of ideas constitute normalcy and reality, to be disseminated to the American public.

I think that's why the frontier-internet has been actively smothered for 15 years and is finally breathing its last few gasps; when media is sufficiently de-centralized, like it has/had been for the last 15, it was pretty loving hard to control normalcy and narrative. It feels like the direction everything has been taken lately has been largely in service to re-asserting that hold on normalcy.

gently caress, I really hate how plausible 9/11 trutherism has become to me.

I should not be okay with this.

I desperately want my old ideas of what's normal to return and reassert, but not if it's an entirely fabricated lie, and it was.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Capitalism (and the MIC) is totally taking control of human communication.

I kinda now wonder about FOX in general. It popped up overnight in a medium dominated by old school broadcasters, and succeeded because it had the weight of Rupert Murdoch behind it, including all the connections he had at the time through News Corp, etc.

The loss of the wild west web is more or less the forces of capital circling the wagons on what was once an unexploited resource (information and communication). Social media harvests the resource while "the algorithm" processes it into a commodity, a ready-made bite sized packet of communication to sate our hunger for interaction.

We're at a point where 1984's concept of reducing language, and thus emphasizing ideas, can take place. First we're given all of these forms of information access while mega corporations gobble up the companies. Then, once we have these always-on systems of information flow completely surrounding us, the switch is flipped to flow in reverse, reducing the variety of sources and quality of content.

Facebook has started blurring the line between it and Instagram for example. It's working exactly as planned.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Can we seriously not have Happy thread making GBS threads up a useful thread with his gimmick?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of bush sr, his involvement in the cannibalism incident is absolutely wild. That was obviously coincidence but good lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichijima_incident?wprov=sfla1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Speaking of bush sr, his involvement in the cannibalism incident is absolutely wild. That was obviously coincidence but good lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichijima_incident?wprov=sfla1

Excuse me, but the article clearly says he evaded capture and therefore wasn't involved. :rolleyes:

Growing up as a 90s kid, Bush Sr. seemed pretty lackluster. The more I learn about him, I'm honestly impressed at how central he was to all of the USA's shenanigans since 1945. Really surprised Dana Carvey wasn't offed...