Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

None of the supermarkets I go to have done the pound thing for years, but then I am a soft Edinburgh type. I assume they are on the way out just from less people carrying cash, I rarely do these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of places have magnetic locks instead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if you put the kart in the bed of your truck you can just drive off with it. Its above the magnetic lock ring.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1370501248227667968?s=21

Jesus Christ, again?

This is starting to smell seriously Epsteinish.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/big-business-profiting-from-test-and-trace-coached-on-how-to-apply-for-honours-k6mgkqd7p

quote:

Big business profiting from Test and Trace coached on how to apply for honours

Consultants and contractors profiting from the troubled coronavirus test-and-trace system are being offered tailored advice from civil servants on applying for honours such as MBEs.

The news that big businesses are being asked to put forward staff for recognition came as Sir Nicholas Macpherson, permanent secretary at the Treasury until 2016, branded the £37 billion NHS Test and Trace system the most wasteful and inept public spending programme ever.

The companies being offered tips on how to improve their chances of honours success include Serco, which was paid £350 million last year to provide staff for Test and Trace, and Deloitte, which provided more than 1,000 management consultants to the service.

The business department has apologised for breaching data protection laws after the invitation from its top civil servant was accidentally copied to hundreds of companies, revealing the email addresses of executives.

Paul Scully, a business minister, told Times Radio: “We are working out how to diversify the system and make sure businesses are aware of what there is, but they still have to go through the independent honours process [before one is granted].”

etc etc etc

Not sure if it's paywalled but sign up for a free account to read it if it is.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Apropos of nothing in particular, just wanted to say that Thought Slime's latest vid on the culture wars is very very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpglyKZhJ88

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really get the general push to somehow tell people to stop engaging with stuff you don't think is politically optimal.

Like that isn't how people, or interest, works. People experience things as they come into their range of perception and they react as their tendencies dictate, saying people shouldn't do that just seems like arguing that the world must simply be different because you don't like it.

If you just ignore the culture war stuff it's not going to somehow make the other stuff happen instead, and to be honest I find that dismissing everything as "culture war" ignores the fact that one side of that war is usually very materially invested in the outcome, one side is often extremely affected by cultural attitudes.

It's culture war when the right do it, because they don't need it, but it gets a response because it touches on the real lives of real people. People who drop bombs don't care about who or what it hits, they have systems to abstract them from their actions, it's just what they do for a living, but the people who get hit by them are real and materially affected by that, the same is true for cultural issues. The instigators may be merely contemptible, but the people affected are real.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

No, I like it here it's a good and interesting online space.

Seems weird to hang out in a place where they want you gone.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I broadly agree but I do think, admittedly as a layman and not an expert, that some of this poo poo is indistinguishable from a psyop and will have much the same effect on ones psyche.

This poo poo is supposed to be actively demoralizing.

I think its become a particularly toxic time to deal with the culture war because of the state of the media. It won't be forever but in the present I feel that engaging with this poo poo is just a way to see how we are losing and have no way to fight back. Again I don't think this is forever but this is certainly a very low point for the left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I very much disagree, in fact, the media will do their side regardless, it is what, again, they are paid to do. If you just ignore it they're just going to passively keep broadcasting that shite anyway. By engaging and mocking it you are helping to create the counter-position.

Like I'm in the running for the most miserable rear end in a top hat in the thread and even I don't think that there is any possible way you can get everyone to just robotically go "the media is stupid" all the time. People are at the least gonna engage with how it's stupid and yes, you can accurately argue that this is still letting them set the terms of the conversation, but that's just how media works. You can't escape that, people with money have the ability to set the prompt for other people's thoughts by broadcasting that prompt to them over media platforms, nothing on earth can change that as long as there are people with money and platforms available.

But you could as easily argue that the existence of this industry of manufacturing outrage is necessitated by the opposition to the status quo. It is no longer sufficiently profitable to just trot out affirmations of the dominance of the preferred cultural norms of the media owners, it has to be defined as somehow perpetually "under attack" by a horde of angry leftists, and I also think that by doing that it does, in its way, help to proliferate the counter-position. That actually yes, everything that piers morgan hates is cool and good, in fact. And yes, the media is an absolute joke, and we should laugh at how pathetic it is.

I think that this approach is, ultimately, just about milking the last drops of engagement from the lovely middle england demographic and will necessarily, in time, have to morph into implicitly favoring the other side of the argument that has already been constructed. It won't be the same people doing it, probably, though I am sure there are plenty of media companies who would happily play both sides, but I think as time goes on you are necessarily going to see the growth of media that unironically affirms the position that is currently framed as the outsider, because the normative position is constantly fighting a retreat, it is entrenching itself in all the top down centers of power projection and is writing off more and more people in favour of appealing to its preferred base, and that translates to people simply abandoning those forms of media.

The part I am more concerned about is where the counter position fetches up against actually universal power structure problems. Capitalism can dress itself in the trappings of many things but it can not accept truly liberatory efforts, and I think the gendered violence stuff is a very good example of that. It can claim to care about it but it cannot actually dismantle the structures that facilitate gendered violence and will always come down on the side of the structure when it's a choice between stamping out gendered violence and preserving the structure, as you saw with the US political sphere and the MeToo efforts. They will use it when it can be restricted to one party but when it threatens the actual power structure of the party that brands itself as being on board with that sort of thing, they immediately start doing textbook examples of the behaviour they supposedly condemn.

And I think, necessarily, that it takes repeated demonstrations of that happening, that structural inability to do what needs doing, before people will start to buy into harder solutions that perhaps can achieve the results they need. The failure is part of the process. The argument and agitation being ineffectual is a necessary step on the road to it becoming effectual, because every time it is stymied it reveals what is the cause of that obstruction, and ultimately that leads, inexorably, to the things that uphold all the wrongs in our society. But that's a hard understanding to reach, it takes time, and I think a dangerous number of people can live their lives between the point where you realise something is wrong, but before the point where you realise what is needed to fix it. Between realising that wrongs are being committed, but before realising that it isn't just a particular party that's doing it.

But still, it is hard for me to look at the change over the last century, and especially the last few decades that I have been alive, and not see an improvement? There is a really strong push from the bottom up to take gendered violence seriously, there's a lot of people in the world today who can and will effectively fight for LGBT rights by every means they have available, openly and proudly, people are refusing to be beat down by the world and are asserting themselves individually and collectively in the world, the right's culture war has gone from section 28 to "people aren't gendering my potato correctly and I can't be horny about the cartoon rabbit"

The phrase that springs to mind is "glorious victories that keep moving closer to the capital."

They aren't going to stop being the worst assholes in the world and they can and will be as vicious as they can be at every opportunity and through every power structure they can get their hands on, but it is hard to look at the trajectory and say they're winning in the long run.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 13, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't going to stop being the worst assholes in the world and they can and will be as vicious as they can be at every opportunity and through every power structure they can get their hands on, but it is hard to look at the trajectory and say they're winning in the long run.

They have become obsessed with culture wars because those wars are generally fought with wallets, the only things they care about, and every one they lose is more and more proof in their own language that they and their vision of society are not wanted by most people. They can't even adjust their rhetoric, talking about how twitter feminists and SJW protestors are the reason for all this CENSORSHIP, and they only look increasingly like idiots every time a "woke," movie makes a billion dollars. That's why they keep picking these utterly stupid fights, their world view of Silent Majorities and Invisible Hands DEMANDS that their values must win any and all culture wars, so every time they lose they HAVE to seek out another one.

To me there is no greater proof that evil is losing than the fact that evil's entire outlook on life is being so utterly crushed by plastic doodads and cartoon characters that they literally can't focus on anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They can, sort of, in that again those attitudes are reflected in people's real lives, they are angry about the potato and the rabbit because they are angry that they will get called a creep for creeping on women in public and spouting their ideas about gender roles, and they absolutely try to enforce those norms as best they can through the structures they control, such as the recent discussion about the absolutely poo poo state of trans healthcare in the UK. The culture war reflects and intersects with the real war, but I don't think there is a hard line between choosing to engage with one and not the other.

If anything I think that saying piers morgan is a baby for crying about his potato and also being serious about real people's gender expression is a very enjoyable bit of trolling because it is the mirror inverse of how the assholes approach it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the angle that our national newspaper of record decided is the most important part of the vaccination story.

This country is sick in the head.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The times, at least I think it's the times, has a record for spinning everything around its financial worth. I mean our lovely society is always doing this but it usually hides it. Not the Times. Weren't they the ones that ran a story about how much will be saved now so many old people are dead?

I think they're just an honest representation of the neo-lib end goal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I cannot understand why Labour has suspended East Ham & West Ham CLPs now and made it big news when the allegations date from August 2020, the cops investigated and found nothing needing further action.
What is the rationale?
Is it so that it's in the public mind prior to the upcoming May elections that they are clamping down on anti-semitism, muslims, lefties or any combination thereof? Being seen to be doing 'something'? Preparing the ground to support Voter ID?

What am I missing?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
There's definitely a fair argument that once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, we should be thinking about how to supply countries with active spread and large vulnerable populations left to cover, before we work on vaccinating every single 20 and 30 year old though, right?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

The times, at least I think it's the times, has a record for spinning everything around its financial worth. I mean our lovely society is always doing this but it usually hides it. Not the Times. Weren't they the ones that ran a story about how much will be saved now so many old people are dead?

I think they're just an honest representation of the neo-lib end goal.

I was referring more to the only thing that matters about the vaccine program being that it's faster than the EU's so we've BEATEN them and we've WON, but yes the GDP thing is a good kicker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Weasling Weasel posted:

There's definitely a fair argument that once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, we should be thinking about how to supply countries with active spread and large vulnerable populations left to cover, before we work on vaccinating every single 20 and 30 year old though, right?

We are the country the with large vulnerable population and the active spread.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Weasling Weasel posted:

Not really, no point in half measures. All we'd be doing by continuing to let Covid circulate among young people is for a bigger outbreak in the future, for instance the coming winter. It would be a huge mistake to fumble 2 yards from the finish line.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Weasling Weasel posted:

I’m not an epidemiologist so could be totally wrong but this sounds like an absolutely idealised setup to breed a vaccine-resistant COVID strain

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

jacksbrat posted:

Either that or its cheap storage furniture for £1 a pop and a particular aesthetic.
When I did my beach birthday in 2019 I took a Tescos trolley on a walk to get the food from Tescos to the chosen party site. If it had been a free trolley I probably wouldn't have, but I paid my quid, it's my trolley now. Same when I bought some trees from Aldi and realised they wouldn't fit in the smart - just trundled them over to the allotment.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems weird to hang out in a place where they want you gone.

Hello

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angrymog posted:

When I did my beach birthday in 2019 I took a Tescos trolley on a walk to get the food from Tescos to the chosen party site. If it had been a free trolley I probably wouldn't have, but I paid my quid, it's my trolley now. Same when I bought some trees from Aldi and realised they wouldn't fit in the smart - just trundled them over to the allotment.

I hope you deposited them in the nearest canal or river to complete the trolley lifecycle

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Crystal peaks have had to put signs everywhere asking people not to bring the Sainsbury’s shopping trollies into the actual shopping centre, which the old ladies all ignore and just wheel these chuffing things round everywhere skinning ankles as they go.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

When I moved from my rented flat to this one (about 3 mins walk apart), my mother had got some idea in her head that we would get a trolley from Waitrose and gradually move my stuff in the trolley. (I didn't - I hired proper removal company and some large plastic crates.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I moved from my rented flat to this one (about 3 mins walk apart), my mother had got some idea in her head that we would get a trolley from Waitrose and gradually move my stuff in the trolley. (I didn't - I hired proper removal company and some large plastic crates.)

When we moved from old rental flat to house, with 10 years of accumulated crap from flat, those rental crates were the absolute business. Seriously that's my number one tip for people moving, flatpack cardboard boxes are a pain in the hoop to construct, awkward to carry, don't stack well, and don't protect fragile items. The plastic box rental lads turned up with no notice, they came with a free skateboard the boxes slotted into, they let us have a free month for little extra charge when move got delayed, and they took them back as soon as I called.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Greatest "we released these songs as singles so they had the best chance of actually being" Hits.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

When we moved from old rental flat to house, with 10 years of accumulated crap from flat, those rental crates were the absolute business. Seriously that's my number one tip for people moving, flatpack cardboard boxes are a pain in the hoop to construct, awkward to carry, don't stack well, and don't protect fragile items. The plastic box rental lads turned up with no notice, they came with a free skateboard the boxes slotted into, they let us have a free month for little extra charge when move got delayed, and they took them back as soon as I called.

drat I had no idea this was a thing, good tip. Would have cost me a bunch less than the £120 of cardboard boxes I had to buy off Amazon that went straight into recycling.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Have supermarkets stopped doing the auto-wheel lock thing when it passes a certain point for trolleys? I remember they were all the rage around the early 2010s (I have good memories of watching people try to lift the trolleys over the magical invisible line at the Tescos near Reading Festival) but I don't think I've seen the sad pack of abandoned locked trolleys at the exit recently.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1370501248227667968?s=21

Jesus Christ, again?

This is starting to smell seriously Epsteinish.

it's possible he's experiencing a psychotic episode or feigning one. i know from chatting to mental health staff that in the absence of anything to harm themselves with, people in very bad states will try to bash their own skulls in

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a 24/7 babestation channel or something I thought it was the kind of thing that only appeared at specific ungodly hours when you were 12 and watching TV with the volume down at 2 in the morning.

this was like 15 odd years ago, idk if it's still going. it just looked like ladies talking to unseen presences (:ghost:?) and sometimes getting their boobs out

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose livestreaming is basically just a seance.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
or a haunting, like a hardcore Ghostwatch :spooky:

also given that murdercop is married with kids and was in the TA my guess would be that something has gone very wrong mental health wise. important question then would be why nothing was done when he was getting his cock out at mcdonalds or wherever it was

(from personal experience the TA seems to be staffed by a lot of undiagnosed psychopaths)

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 13, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah it sounds like he has some serious mental health issues which might go some way to explaining his actions for lack of other motive. Mental health issues don't explain why he transported and hid the body though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

peanut- posted:

drat I had no idea this was a thing, good tip. Would have cost me a bunch less than the £120 of cardboard boxes I had to buy off Amazon that went straight into recycling.

We used cardboard boxes to move stuff at home so dad could have a bed downstairs before he died, and I swore 'never again'.

It's rare to be able to use them for more than one move, and when you have for example books which are very heavy, you can only put a few in each box and if it's raining or whatever and the bottom drops out of the box - bleurgh. The crates, I rented them for 8 weeks and gave them back after 4 weeks and got a partial refund.
Also, I didn't have any bookcases etc, so I bought a set of 3 bays of shelving (no bolts required) off Big Dug, piled all my stuff onto those (one of my friends was like - why not just put everything in bin bags and sort at your leisure - well hello I don't want to look like shitsville here let alone my flat being absolutely tiny and if my stuff was just in bin bags it would have covered every inch of floor space.).
I eventually had twin track shelves put up last September (was supposed to happen in March, but you know, covid etc) - well out of the range of any potential flooding. And then sold the Big Dugs on.

I used this company for the crate hire: https://www.cratehire-uk.co.uk/

VVV I know.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 13, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
dugs where i'm from is an unfortunate name for boobs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Asda at home have huge plastic storage boxes that are perfect for a house move and then shed storage after :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asda generally just has a whole pile of decent storage options. B&M also.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
do you lot not ask local shops for their old boxes? i got a load that had been flattened but i just reinforced them with parcel tape

i got a bunch of those big cardboard produce trays from the fruit shop and i still have them under the bed

the idea of paying for cardboard boxes is just offensive to me tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a rule I think a lot of places don't crush the fruit trays because they're really tough and you can't do it by hand easily, unless they have an orwak or something they might have a big pile of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

crispix posted:

dugs where i'm from is an unfortunate name for boobs

That's a terrible name for them. Just awful.