Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Blind Rasputin posted:

gently caress that I want to paint a new painting. This isn’t the dragonscale helm it’s bob ross hair.

You died had a happy little accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Lazy princes are in my top 5 ds3 bosses. And if I didn't hate lockon breaking moves so much, they would be in my top 5 souls bosses.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

The painting is from the first game. It is the Gods trash bin.

VictualSquid posted:

Lazy princes are in my top 5 ds3 bosses. And if I didn't hate lockon breaking moves so much, they would be in my top 5 souls bosses.

I must have gone into this fight with the perfect counter build the first time, because I never had a problem with them and found them pretty easy while also kinda fun. I then proceeded to help everyone else beat them as an super reliable summon.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 10, 2021

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I did my usual tactic of burning them to a crisp with chaos fire orb. Worked well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I like the "this is our grave, it can be yours too..." when they kill you. The game has some really good NPC dialogue. I don't feel like I'm just being jumped by random people; Shira and Wilhelm, for example, have some definite motivations.

That said, I felt a little guilty for killing the princes, then accidentally not linking the fire at the end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is the dex breakpoint on casting speed? I’m having fun planning an ultra OP dark cleric and wanted to imagine super spam

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I was having trouble with the Princes but then I turned my camera sensitivity up to 10 and the fight became easy. Probably not a sign of a great boss mechanically speaking, but it is an interesting gimmick and the move set is fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bust Rodd posted:

What is the dex breakpoint on casting speed? I’m having fun planning an ultra OP dark cleric and wanted to imagine super spam
50. Don't expect it to actually have a big difference on your casting speed though. If you want to max it out, put on sage ring. It adds 30/35/40 'virtual' dex that affects only casting speed, depending on if it's regular sage ring/sage ring+1/sage ring+2.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Volte posted:

I was having trouble with the Princes but then I turned my camera sensitivity up to 10 and the fight became easy. Probably not a sign of a great boss mechanically speaking, but it is an interesting gimmick and the move set is fun.

It’s weird because I habitually lock on to every enemy and use a shield, and with lorian locked up and my shield held up every time he teleported the camera and the white dot would auto track to wherever he went (as long as he was fairly close). It made the fight pretty easy.

Dialogue, I’m loving the ashes of ariendel stuff so far. I found sister friede and was taken aback she was basically telling me to gtfo and go home. The lady on the table too, a princess or goth girlfriend or something? I dunno, they just totally nail the dark mysterious aesthetic and substantive voices with every line.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s weird because I habitually lock on to every enemy

Be careful about this. Sometimes is best to swing beside an enemy and not directly at them. I sucked at PvP until I stopped locking on.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

IronicDongz posted:

50. Don't expect it to actually have a big difference on your casting speed though. If you want to max it out, put on sage ring. It adds 30/35/40 'virtual' dex that affects only casting speed, depending on if it's regular sage ring/sage ring+1/sage ring+2.

Better yet, use the witchtree branch or saint-tree bellvine in your off-hand for a slightly more powerful effect than the sage ring and use your ring slot for something else. They add 50 virtual dex which gives you max casting speed regardless of your dex.

You use your main catalyst in your mainhand and cast that way.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
ng+1 i wrecked the twin princes

but ng+2 it took me like 20 tries. i was very frustrated

just kept refusing to chug estus until i was really low in health and getting caught in massive damage hits

neither friede, gael, nor midir took me nearly that long

but they're all dead now and i finally got my divine spear fragment

off to war of the chosen and then bloodborne (then maybe ace combat 7) before i return to this wonderful game

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How do I help the guy in the well? I looked it up, but the other guy doesn't show up when I use the lift outside firelink shrine

Does raising the wall in the cathedral where I fought the two giants get me anywhere, or was it just supposed to help with fighting the giants?

I've beaten the deacons of the deep in the cathedral and the giants and stuff. Should I be in the painting or trying to light the braziers in the poisonous swamp? For the life of me I can't clear the entire cathedral level or the entire swamp level to sweep through for loot and explore the whole thing and find the bonfires. The painting seems too high level for me

How come sometimes one or two of my empty HP flasks refills itself?

How do you get to the crystal dragondog in the cell at Halfway -> stay to the right of the (nonpoisonous) swamp (by the two big crabs) and go forward?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

How do I help the guy in the well? I looked it up, but the other guy doesn't show up when I use the lift outside firelink shrine

Does raising the wall in the cathedral where I fought the two giants get me anywhere, or was it just supposed to help with fighting the giants?

I've beaten the deacons of the deep in the cathedral and the giants and stuff. Should I be in the painting or trying to light the braziers in the poisonous swamp? For the life of me I can't clear the entire cathedral level or the entire swamp level to sweep through for loot and explore the whole thing and find the bonfires. The painting seems too high level for me

How do you get to the crystal dragondog in the cell at Halfway -> stay to the right of the (nonpoisonous) swamp (by the two big crabs) and go forward?

crystal dragon dog can be accessed through a close by but different area. its a pretty obvious path, so don't fret

if patches not in cathedral, check the high tower accessible through a locked gate and then across a bridge by firelink

if not there, defeat a certain lord of cinder, or rather, collective lord of cinders and he'll be a merchant in firelink

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mescal posted:

You need to get his armor (by hook or by crook, as it were) from Patches, who is on one of the upper levels of the interior of Firelink if you've already spoken with him at the cathedral.

You can run along the tops of the gates you raise.

The painting is DLC.

It can happen after killing enemies, and will happen after killing phantoms.

You'll wrap back around to there after lighting the braziers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

You can run along the tops of the gates you raise.

I raised one and it's blocked off. No illusory walls on the side I can find access to by where the one guy tried to trick me.

Any tips on lighting the other 2 braziers? For the life of me I can't clear more than half the area without taking a couple big hits. I put some glow stones and realized the area is bigger than I thought, but still think I've explored 90% of it without finding all the fires. I do have the poison def ring and I figured out the trick with the big guys is making them walk through the fire.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The fires aren't super obvious at ground level - I had the same problem. Look up though, and you should be able to see the flames at the tops of the towers you still need to extinguish.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You can get back to the cathedral gate levers by dropping in from above. Once you find a way onto the rafters you'll get it. As for the swamp, tbh don't bother with the big guys unless you're specifically after the greatshield they drop. The Braziers are all within eyesight of each other. The swamp is a big circle and the braziers are on small raised islands which form a triangle around the middle.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mescal posted:

I raised one and it's blocked off. No illusory walls on the side I can find access to by where the one guy tried to trick me.
I don't think you can get across from that area - you have to progress some more and at some point you can get up on the rooftops where you'll have access to the rafters and can drop down on the other side.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Part of me wants to try and get started on DS3 now that I'm more or less done replaying 2 for Return to Drangleic but then the other part of me is dreading the meticulous dance you need to do to not break every NPC quest. And yes, I'm an obsessive weirdo who wants to do every single one.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Volte posted:

I don't think you can get across from that area - you have to progress some more and at some point you can get up on the rooftops where you'll have access to the rafters and can drop down on the other side.

Well, what am I looking for? If it's some loot I probably don't need I won't bother. Are you talking about the rooftops where you take a shortcut to the archer with the fire bolts that was shooting at you in the previous area? I found a ladder and some loot there but didn't see anywhere new to drop down to
edit: there is a user message that says "time for jumping" by the area there above the ladder there, but I cleared that rooftop area a long time ago. I looked it up and I guess what I'm seeking is Rosaria's room because despite thinking I did the whole cathedral I have 3 bonfires rather than 4
Edit again: okay, I haven't been on those rooftops. So: hollowing is what's making me ugly, right? And to stop it I have to pay the fire keeper for as many levels as I got for free from the hunchback, right? I got the item for it from behind the shrine, I think.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

Well, what am I looking for? If it's some loot I probably don't need I won't bother. Are you talking about the rooftops where you take a shortcut to the archer with the fire bolts that was shooting at you in the previous area? I found a ladder and some loot there but didn't see anywhere new to drop down to
edit: there is a user message that says "time for jumping" by the area there above the ladder there, but I cleared that rooftop area a long time ago. I looked it up and I guess what I'm seeking is Rosaria's room because despite thinking I did the whole cathedral I have 3 bonfires rather than 4

Keep checking the sides along the roof, you'll find an entrance to the rafters.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Re: patches and Catarina knight in the well. In cathedral of the deep, before killing the boss for that area, go to the area you killed the second giant. There’s a metal winding staircase that goes up, from there you will find yourself at an alter area full of knights and worshipers. Run across this place to an elevator on the opposite side. Take this up. This should take you to a level you can traverse to an area overlooking the main floor and the “knight of Catarina” should be there and tell you about some treasure on the opposite side. Once you’ve.. done that stuff.. and survive.. you need to get yourself to the opposite side of where he was first standing. The easiest way of doing this is an elevator shortcut and doorway shortcut you unlock that makes it so that from the cathedral bonfire you can go outside and get on an elevator going up, which then takes you to a level of an open tower with a basic priest bad guy in it. You can work your way outside of that tower through a window opening and get up a ladder (if I remember correctly) on the outside of it which takes you to the highest point of the open outside area of the cathedral. You fought through this area before, a ton of those little assholes in hats dropped down on you as you traversed this area. Basically, this leads to some openings into the rafters of the cathedral. Now you need to basically run across the rafters and drop down into the area where patches is, directly opposite of where you met the “knight of Catarina” earlier in this description. This took me a few tries because you have to bait a bunch of big rear end knights away from the part of the rafters you need to use to drop down. The specific part is opposite from where you enter the rafters, it’s where two rafters converge, a knight with an axe or sword is standing on that spot, right up against a wall. If you get to the wall you can drop down to the left to the level below. Then, you buy the knight of catarina’s armor from patches, all the pieces, (I think it’s 8,000-10,000 a piece) and take it all back to the well.

You definitely want to help Sedgwick. It’s hard to not screw up, but he makes a boss fight later a loving breeze. And he’s cute and awesome.

Honestly if you’re still stuck use the fextralife wiki for dark souls or look up a video of how to get to patches in the cathedral since it is a bit weird. Definitely one of the weirder parts of the game.

For the rest of your post. Don’t do the painting until after you beat the game. The crystal lizard.. you’ll get to it far later. You won’t miss it. The levels wrap around quite extensively. Sometimes killing red-eyes super bad guys gives you a free flask, but it is very rare and it’s not a mechanic you depend on or even think about, really.

Let me tell you a secret about the farron swamp, it’s not actually that big. They trick you with some fog and strange design, but it’s quite small actually. Just keep running around it and connecting the dots in your mind (or use the map on the wiki above) and you’ll get it. The three bonfires are roughly triangular fashion away from each other. Just believe in it being small and that you can map it in your brain and you will.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Loving Sedgwick

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oh my GOD. I ran past those flames to extinguish a dozen times without realizing what they were. And, thanks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was meticulously following a guide while also not trying to spoil myself and there are two quest flags, one for Seigward and one for Grierat, where the flag is literally “oh you walked into this room? DEAD” so you have to make peace with the fact that you can be following a guide perfectly but if you don’t spoil the entire thing for yourself ahead of time it’s basically impossible to do it on your first playthrough.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh yeah. The crypts or dungeon or whatever negating the swigwars quest? I looked at a guide a bit after the fact, and when I found that bonfire I started walking down the stairs and got maybe 1/3 the way down before I thought maybe I should check out the other stuff first.. loving almost broke the quest by probably inches.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oh boy. I just found out that you're supposed to burn the undead bone shards. Went from bonfire level 1 to 5. That would have been nice to know earlier

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mescal posted:

Oh boy. I just found out that you're supposed to burn the undead bone shards. Went from bonfire level 1 to 5. That would have been nice to know earlier

Undead bones that yet burn.

Cast it into the shrine bonfire to boost the recovery provided by the Estus Flask.

The bonfire's cinders are the bones of Undead, and a bone that still burns is a fresh cinder indeed. Before feeding upon death, one must first pray to it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Undead bones that yet burn.

Cast it into the shrine bonfire to boost the recovery provided by the Estus Flask.

The bonfire's cinders are the bones of Undead, and a bone that still burns is a fresh cinder indeed. Before feeding upon death, one must first pray to it.

i ain't know it was permanent

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Always be burnin’ baby

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Always be burnin’ baby

You leave Ocelotte alone.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

When y'all say that infused weapons are generally no good, do you mean for PVP or just playing the game solo? I was thinking about making a blessed ^H^H^H crystal weapon for the INT bonus

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 16, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

You can't use resins on infused weapons other than sharp, heavy or refined, I believe. It's better to use a resin to get a type of damage, if you need it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

When y'all say that infused weapons are generally no good, do you mean for PVP or just playing the game solo? I was thinking about making a blessed ^H^H^H crystal weapon for the INT bonus

It depends on the infusion. Some are good, some are useless, some give split damage which can be situationally good or bad. It should be noted you can only cast weapon buffs on the physical infused weapons (refined/raw/sharp/heavy/hollow). Crystal is good for pure INT builds, but that weapon is going to suck out loud vs anything resistant to magic, so pack a Raw weapon on the side.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I'm giving this a replay. This time it's all strength and vigor! Plowed my way through everything with a big stick. Now I'm using Havel's shield and Yorhm's Great Machete and wrecking everything in 2 hits. Admittedly I've only fought maybe one boss solo, the dancer. I just have more fun praising the sun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m like level 110 and a melee build, and only have the ringed city left to do. But I’ve been wondering something. Are there any downsides to going to that lady in the cathedral of the deep and respecc’ing so I can reassign all my attribute points and become a full on mage? Just totally rework everything so in 40/40 int/faith with some in strength and dex? I think it would be fun to do the last dlc by way of using all the spells I’ve accrued over the game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

Crystal is good for pure INT builds, but that weapon is going to suck out loud vs anything resistant to magic, so pack a Raw weapon on the side.

I'll probably end up with pure INT, because these raw weapons haven't encouraged me to keep up DEX. Anyway, how am I supposed to know what's resistant to what? The guides don't mention it. The next boss is a big skeleton guy, so I'd presume he deals dark + phys damage, is resistant to fire, and vulnerable to magic + phys?

I accidentally aggroed the NPC next to the catacombs rope bridge :( RIP hope he wasn't important

Mescal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 16, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mescal posted:

Anyway, how am I supposed to know what's resistant to what?
you normally just shouldn't worry about it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m like level 110 and a melee build, and only have the ringed city left to do. But I’ve been wondering something. Are there any downsides to going to that lady in the cathedral of the deep and respecc’ing so I can reassign all my attribute points and become a full on mage? Just totally rework everything so in 40/40 int/faith with some in strength and dex? I think it would be fun to do the last dlc by way of using all the spells I’ve accrued over the game.

You can re-spec five times per game cycle. If you go talk to Rosaria you will anger Sirris, but if you already did her quest or don't care just go ahead and re-spec.