Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

PoizenJam posted:

Hey goons- I could use some advice on my mic setup.

I stream bass covers on Twitch and upload them on YouTube. My current mic setup is less than ideal for this purpose- it's an SM57 sitting on a desk many feet from me on a crappy stand, with only a Fethead for a bit of clean gain lift to compensate for the distance. I got myself a cheap pedal hotkeyed to turn the mic off when I am not speaking, but I would prefer a setup with better pickup and background sound rejection. It's quite noisy, even with my monitor speakers at a modest volum.

My YouTube channel contains countless examples of my recording setup- stood up, playing a bass, back from my desk. What is my best option here if I want to balance minimizing an in-frame mic and minimizing background noise? overhead boom + shotgun mic? Some kind of wireless lav setup? A fancy noise blocking shield of some sort?

Bonus points if the suggestion is generally good from a recording perspective, say for educational style video essays. I have plenty of audio gear that I can run mics into (Fethead, Scarlett 18i20, a cheap Behringer interface), but strangely mic booms and mics themselves are an area where I do not have much in the way of gear or knowledge.

you probably want a shotgun mic (like a Sennheiser MKH50 or ME64, or a Rode NTG3 or NTG4) mounted just above and in front of you out of frame. you could probably get away with a lav (like a Sanken COS-11d or Countryman B3) secured to the strap on your bass, run along the bass cable, and then hardwired off screen, although if you're turning away from your shoulder to talk then it'll still pick up a lot of room reflections. if you want the lav wireless so it's easier to properly wear under a shirt, a Tx/Rx pack set (like a Sennheiser G3 or Lectrosonics L-Series) is the way to go, but make sure you double check the frequency block of the kit for your area since some blocks have recently become illegal (or will soon, i can't remember when that's happening off the top of my head).

all of those items are more or less industry standard for tv & film production (the Rode and G3s not so much on anything except low budget stuff) so they'd be good for doing video essays as well.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Seems my instinct was right about a shotgun mic. Thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions for more entry level options? Would I get better results out of a properly setup sub-$150/200 Audio Technica shotgun mic than my SM57 sitting on a desk 5 feet away?

I am also apparently unable to find an overhead boom option apparently.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm a bit confused about what you're primarily wanting to record. The video has no dialogue, so I'm assuming just the bass? But you're making it sound like you need a mic for talking.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Origami Dali posted:

I'm a bit confused about what you're primarily wanting to record. The video has no dialogue, so I'm assuming just the bass? But you're making it sound like you need a mic for talking.

Those are clipped from my stream. I mute them for YouTube because I assume most people are looking for tab/cover.

I talk on stream. I provided the videos merely for reference of my setup/framing. You can find vods with voice on my Twitch, but most of the videos are completely muted there on account of copyright.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

PoizenJam posted:

Seems my instinct was right about a shotgun mic. Thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions for more entry level options? Would I get better results out of a properly setup sub-$150/200 Audio Technica shotgun mic than my SM57 sitting on a desk 5 feet away?

I am also apparently unable to find an overhead boom option apparently.

I bought an AT875r and it's great. Sm57 are terrible at a distance comparatively.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

anything labeled "shotgun" will probably work for you, but i don't personally know of any super cheap ones. if gramps is happy with the AT875r that's probably a good bet. i found my ME66 on ebay as a kit with several other K6 capsules for ≈$300, so if you're patient you might be able to find a deal there or on reverb for one of the pricier ones. the main thing you're gonna be looking for is that it's super cardioid, or even hyper cardioid, though hypercardioids aren't as nice for indoors stuff since the node on the back is bigger and you'll catch more reflection from directly behind the mic. either way, it's probably a good investment to grab a square or two of 2-3 inch sound foam and put on the ceiling where the back of the mic is aimed.

for mounting, if you for sure want a portable stand you could grab a boom arm like this to throw on top of a c-stand, and then attach the mic with a baby pin adapter. definitely put some weights of some sort on the bottom of the stand, though, because you don't want that tipping over.

if you're okay with mounting something more permanent, you can grab a baby pin plate and just screw that into the ceiling 2-3 feet in front of where you stand. you can even get a swiveled version that'll make aiming the mic easier. you'll still need a baby pin to thread adapter with it, but overall it's much cheaper albeit less mobile.

edit: looking at your videos again, the c-stand is probably overkill :v: you could probably just get a regular mic stand with boom arm to sit right next to the camera and reach out and over. should be fine as long as you weigh down the base to keep it from tipping!

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 11, 2021

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
After creeping around the internet for recommendations on entry level shotgun mics... I can't believe it but I went for the 14 inch Neewer/Tonor Shotgun Mic (only $30). According to the reviews I could find it does a surprisingly good job, better than low end ($100) offerings from actual brand names. I paired it with an amazonbasics mic stand which should be tall enough to fit.

I figure I'll save more money in the long run (and get more practice micing in the short run) by giving this a trial run before deciding on a longer-term purchase, such as the AT875r or Rode NTG. Who knows, I might see one pop up on Kijiji or Ebay for a good price in the meantime. I expect there will be a glut of equipment on the market when people can all go outside again!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Possibly dumb question: I am recording myself playing guitar (just for informal purposes) from my amp which does USB out directly into my computer, using Windows Voice Recorder. The input volume is at 100 in Windows but because my amp volume is low the recordings are very quiet and when I boost the volume on the file afterwards it makes it sound bad. I don't need to do any editing or anything, just record the files. What's the best way to do that with a louder volume?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I'm having a serious brain fart. What are the usb mixers called that work as an interface for more than the 2 channels? If you had 12 inputs on the mixer, you would see that many in the DAW. I'm completely blanking and my google skills are lacking. I also may be dumb.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mozi posted:

Possibly dumb question: I am recording myself playing guitar (just for informal purposes) from my amp which does USB out directly into my computer, using Windows Voice Recorder. The input volume is at 100 in Windows but because my amp volume is low the recordings are very quiet and when I boost the volume on the file afterwards it makes it sound bad. I don't need to do any editing or anything, just record the files. What's the best way to do that with a louder volume?

Go though your signal chain and check that everything's turned up. I don't know what that looks like for you, but your amp probably shows up as an audio device in Windows, with the option to set the input volume there.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mozi posted:

You probably want to use a proper DAW so you have more control over your gain staging. Even something like Audacity would be better. I would go a bit further than that and recommend Reaper.

Luna posted:

I'm having a serious brain fart. What are the usb mixers called that work as an interface for more than the 2 channels? If you had 12 inputs on the mixer, you would see that many in the DAW. I'm completely blanking and my google skills are lacking. I also may be dumb.

There's no special name for them. That's just a mixer with a 12 channel interface built in. they'll be under USB mixers on a site like sweetwater, you just have to check the interface channel counts. (2x4 for 2 in 4 out, 16x8 etc)

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 12, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Luna posted:

I don't know if there is a name for that other than "interface mixer combo" or maybe "multitrack mixer interface". like the Soundcraft MTK line

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Does anyone have any good mini rack ideas for using 1/3 rack effects units? The small size of the RNC and Presonus TubePre plus others are ideal for my bench top but I don't want to keep stacking them on top of one another or taking up a full rack space. I know presonus used to sell a tower but even if I could find it, I think it only fits their first gen stuff.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Does anyone have any good mini rack ideas for using 1/3 rack effects units? The small size of the RNC and Presonus TubePre plus others are ideal for my bench top but I don't want to keep stacking them on top of one another or taking up a full rack space. I know presonus used to sell a tower but even if I could find it, I think it only fits their first gen stuff.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1316006-REG/fmr_audio_rack_tray_1u.html

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

I appreciate that but I don't want to take up a full rack space for space considerations and am looking for a smaller, preferably the 1/3 rack footprint- like the Max Rack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Gramps posted:

You probably want to use a proper DAW so you have more control over your gain staging. Even something like Audacity would be better. I would go a bit further than that and recommend Reaper.

I tried Audacity which was easy to use with the Normalize effect which did what I want and worked well on this one: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-3-3-12-21
But this one is blown out: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-2-3-12-21

Reaper seems a little complicated -_-;

I'm sure turning the amp up would fix this but then it would be way too loud in real life.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Go though your signal chain and check that everything's turned up. I don't know what that looks like for you, but your amp probably shows up as an audio device in Windows, with the option to set the input volume there.

Yeah that is at 100 already. It's a Katana 100 set to 0.5 watts and the master is pretty low given I'm standing right next to it.

This one also sounded OK but a different one was also blown out again: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-5-3-12-21

Mozi fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 13, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mozi posted:

I tried Audacity which was easy to use with the Normalize effect which did what I want and worked well on this one: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-3-3-12-21
But this one is blown out: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-2-3-12-21

Reaper seems a little complicated -_-;

I'm sure turning the amp up would fix this but then it would be way too loud in real life.

Yeah that is at 100 already. It's a Katana 100 set to 0.5 watts and the master is pretty low given I'm standing right next to it.

This one also sounded OK but a different one was also blown out again: https://soundcloud.com/user141888934/loop-5-3-12-21

In my phone so can't really listen to those, but yeah you need to learn about gain staging. Get your levels right when you record. If you normalize after, you're just amplifying noise.

Also you generally don't want anything at 100.

And find out how your Katana works in terms of its USB interface. It should be possible to set it up to send signal to the computer at a reasonable volume for recording without needing to blow your eardrums out with the sound coming from the speaker.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mozi posted:

If you click on "system" in the Katana software (and if you don't have that, grab it from your amps' page) you can tweak the USB output level. You can also keep the amp speaker volume down / off during recording.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, thanks - I increased that from 50% to 200% and it definitely helped a lot but it's still too quiet. Maybe if I plug my headphones into the amp I'll be able to turn it up more when recording, will try that later. If that still doesn't do it I guess I could either mic the amp or use the line out instead of USB, though I'd need other stuff for that. But now re-reading the manual, maybe if I turn the volume up all the way but keep master real low that might do it...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Random curiosity question: say you aspire to one day own a reel-to-reel, because you’re stupid, and one day you browse craigslist as one does.

You see three machines on offer for roughly the same price: one is stereo/2 track, one is 4 track, and one is 18-track.

All three are the same manufacturer (let’s say Fostex or Tascam) and age, and all three have recent maintenance work and are in good shape.

Assuming that the tape size is the same, is the available recording quality going to be commensurately better/worse inverse to the number of tracks (ie, is a 2 track machine going to give you much better recording quality than an 18 or 24 track)?

If you’re going to buy one, is it better to just get a high quality (within budget) stereo machine than something multitrack? Is there a sweet spot (4/8/etc vs 2)? In 2021, you wouldn’t be bothering with recording multitrack to tape (I certainly wouldn’t be). But downmixing or mastering/“mastering” to tape, or recording one-off tracks/doing experiments with one or two channels seems much more realistic.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re going to buy one, is it better to just get a high quality (within budget) stereo machine than something multitrack? Is there a sweet spot (4/8/etc vs 2)? In 2021, you wouldn’t be bothering with recording multitrack to tape (I certainly wouldn’t be). But downmixing or mastering/“mastering” to tape, or recording one-off tracks/doing experiments with one or two channels seems much more realistic.

I would get the two track to start first for bouncing mixes down and then back into the DAW for the "Vibe", would be easier to maintain rather than having to troubleshoot multiple channels at once.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think the biggest problem with multitrack is that if you pump in too loud audio on one track, you might get crosstalk on the adjacent tracks. This is not a huge issue if all the content on all tracks is related (like part of the same song) but probably annoying if it's not. So you don't drive it too hard and take a slightly worse signal to noise ratio for granted. All this should be practically a non-issue on a two track machine. It's the better choice, especially if you want to drive the tape hard for effect. I don't know of any other quality differences. From what I've read anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if you want to tape-ify your master and only need stereo would any cassette recorder work? ie not a fancy tascam

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

A MIRACLE posted:

if you want to tape-ify your master and only need stereo would any cassette recorder work? ie not a fancy tascam

To a point, it's harder to control the fine speed on a cassette and you will experience some fidelity loss.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Wait for a sale and just buy the Softube Tape plugin https://www.softube.com/tape

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Mozi posted:

You want to record at a high volume so you don't have to artifically increase the volume at a latter stage, primarily because once you start adding volume to something you're increasing everything caught in that recording.
The idea is that if you're recording something at a high volume (I figure I might as well point it out now, you never want to record something that clips since clipping is pretty much impossible to do anything about) you're removing unnecessary noise etc.
I don't know how used you are to recording things and if this makes sense, but ;

If you're trying to record something you want the input signal to, when it is recorded the loudest, be somewhere near -3dB. At 0dB that signal is either very close to clipping or clipping already, and that's bad.
You should be able to see how strong your signal is in Audacity in the upper right corner if you have your track armed and ready to record.
What happens if you use it at 50W? It should help with giving you a stronger signal :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Thanks! I am pretty new to all of this so no worries. From poking around on the internet I'm not the only person to have this problem with this amp. I realized that the master knob on the amp does nothing to the USB output volume. What ended up seeming to work was adding about 20db of gain onto the track in Audacity, which brought it up to a pretty normal volume (I had previously gotten confused between increasing the gain on the track and adding the Normalize effect after the fact). I think the alterative is using line out into an interface but this way sounds OK to me, so far.

In Audacity my input is coming in at around -30db but if I crank the amp volume it sounds bad. :/ Setting the amp to 50 watts didn't make a difference.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 16, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mozi posted:

Thanks! I am pretty new to all of this so no worries. From poking around on the internet I'm not the only person to have this problem with this amp. I realized that the master knob on the amp does nothing to the USB output volume. What ended up seeming to work was adding about 20db of gain onto the track in Audacity, which brought it up to a pretty normal volume (I had previously gotten confused between increasing the gain on the track and adding the Normalize effect after the fact). I think the alterative is using line out into an interface but this way sounds OK to me, so far.

In Audacity my input is coming in at around -30db but if I crank the amp volume it sounds bad. :/ Setting the amp to 50 watts didn't make a difference.

normalise takes the loudest sound and increases the gain until that sound is at 0 Db (i.e. maximum) so if your track is very quiet apart from a single max volume mic pop, it basically won't do anything.

fwiw I get super low volume on my sm57 mic but I just boost the hell out of it and it sounds fine. The noise removal tool in audacity is very good if you have a bit of hiss. If you're going to do much audio then learn reaper though, audacity is kind of a pig.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks! After some testing using the Amplify effect to 0db seems to do the job fine, sounds the same as increasing gain but easy to hit the exact level I want. I'm just trying to record myself doing some improvised loop thing every day as an exercise and a log of my progress so Audacity is fine for that but if I ever want more I'll look more into Reaper.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm having a really strange issue in my setup. I'm using a Zoom H6 as a multitrack interface into Logic. For some reason my guitar (input 3) is coming through at like half strength through my synth track (input 5), even when I turn input 3 off on the Zoom itself. If I switch the plugs on the interface around it doesn't seem to change things. Could it be a cable issue? My synth is plugged in with a somewhat long instrument cable that is coiled up and tied. That's the only thing I could possibly figure out but thought I would run it past ya'll before I start digging around everything.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

it might be an issue with the zoom. i haven't heard of anything specific to the H6, but when the L12 came out i saw a couple reviews mention that there was bleed on some of the channels, which was the first time i'd ever heard of that happening on anything other than tape. i'm not sure if there's a way to fix it, though. maybe check that the firmware is updated?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

sebmojo posted:

fwiw I get super low volume on my sm57 mic but I just boost the hell out of it and it sounds fine.

Is the sm57 known for low volume? I just got my behringer sm57 knockoff and it records at super low volume compared to my old Blue Ball mic.

vv oh man, I'm stupid. Had it in my head (from the last time I recorded stuff a decade ago) that the sm57 was a condenser. Thanks! vv

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 23, 2021

kare
Mar 19, 2002
Dynamic mics in general have low volume, some more than others (Shure SM7B for example is known for needing tons of gain)

Edit: As opposed to condenser mics, that need 48v for the capsule to move and have higher ouput

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also the sm57 has a response field that's about 5 inches directly in front of it, super noticeable unless you compress the hell out of the signal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah u basically make out with an sm57 lol. It’s on purpose. You can unscrew it if you want to record an amp

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm just starting my home recording journey, but just had 1 question before I get started. Does anyone record using their Ipad? In my case it would be thr Ipad Air 4th generation. Want to make sure I'm not starting on the wrong foot before I invest in DAWs like Cubasis or Korg Gadet or even Logic.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 24, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I'm just starting my home recording journey, but just had 1 question before I get started. Does anyone record using their Ipad? In my case it would be thr Ipad Air 4th generation. Want to make sure I'm not starting on the wrong foot before I invest in DAWs like Cubasis or Korg Gadet or even Logic.

Garageband works great on the ipad. Haven't done anything with real high track counts though

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gramps posted:

Garageband works great on the ipad. Haven't done anything with real high track counts though

I haven't hosed with garageband on the ipad. Lookong forward to giving it a shot. But isn't it baby tier and not as good as the other DAWs?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I haven't hosed with garageband on the ipad. Lookong forward to giving it a shot. But isn't it baby tier and not as good as the other DAWs?

it's definitely good enough to use as a demo scratchpad. Nowhere near as in depth with plugins and editing capabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this is a really common question, but I was wondering just how decent lower priced monitors really are these days. I'm getting back into home recording after a, like, 16 year hiatus. I've got a behringer UMC404HD for recording guitar/vocals/etc and a Akai MPK mini for beats and synths and things (this is new to me and a lot of fun!). However, the only way I can listen to what I'm doing is with headphones right now. I've got a pair of old AKG K270s which seem pretty good to me, but sometimes you get tired of wearing headphones after awhile.

Monitors like the IK iLoud Micro, M-Audio BX5-D3 and inevitably the KRK Rokit RP5 G4 seem to get good reviews, but then I see what Reddit has to say and as far as they're concerned anything below £500 might as well be tin cans on strings. I know that Reddit tends towards dickhead elitist audiophiles, but it's hard to know who or what to trust. I don't need ultra high quality/professional quality monitors, but I would like something better than bare minimum and that would keep me going for awhile. Any recommendations?