Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yea the main reason eu5 needs to finally happen is to give it the ck3 map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Groke posted:

Animist Aztec reform tips

Thanks for this, I had no idea you could do something like that, seems like a really creative way to work around waiting for Euros to show up. I think I might restart and try that, since it took until 1620 for me to reform on this run (off of the reformed Creek, no less).

I actually got desperate enough to try to dev institutions, too, only to find out that pre-reform "primitives" can't do that, which sucks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

yea the main reason eu5 needs to finally happen is to give it the ck3 imperator map

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

puppets freak me out posted:

Thanks for this, I had no idea you could do something like that, seems like a really creative way to work around waiting for Euros to show up. I think I might restart and try that, since it took until 1620 for me to reform on this run (off of the reformed Creek, no less).

I actually got desperate enough to try to dev institutions, too, only to find out that pre-reform "primitives" can't do that, which sucks.

You could also no-CB declare on one of the OPM minor tribes in South America near the Caribbean coast like Carib in order to give you a little better chance of a colony forming next to you.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

puppets freak me out posted:

Not my idea originally, mind you.

IIRC in 1.30 you can't use one of the original animist tribes as your reform buddy, because they have a stupid government form that prevents institutions. But you can use one of the nearby Mayan tags -- vassalize, convert them to animist, share knowledge/dev-push for them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Wafflecopper posted:

yea the main reason eu5 needs to finally happen is to give it the imperator map

That's what I was talking about. CK3 looks too stylized and abstract to me. It's drained of color. Imperator has the best map I've seen in a strategy game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

That's what I was talking about. CK3 looks too stylized and abstract to me. It's drained of color. Imperator has the best map I've seen in a strategy game.
Johan is the one who made Imperator. Johan is now the lead for EU4 (again?). Maybe we'll get lucky and he can pull the guy/gal/team that did that map when he gets to make EU5.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want to see north america in a ck3/imperator style map

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need an EU5 so bad at this point lol. I generally like the state of the game but I hate having to click in 10,000 different sub-menus because everything was bolted on after market. Like god, switching edicts and checking your institution spread in a province is such a pain in the rear end. Paradox please. You don't even have to do anything new just make a new, unified UI for the game and I'll give Johan a big sloppy kiss on the lips. Don't even get me started on how states and territories only got half-replaced by governing capacity, and how state maintenance and state governing cost and state maintenance reduction all being different stats that stack differently.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Give me UI rework a la I:R (but not bad), give me fancy map a la I:R and I don't need EU5.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
a new fancy map means a new game, period

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Have you heard of Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne?
Edit: I meant Divine Wind. The one that redraw the map.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilitarist posted:

no

ilitarist posted:

Give me UI rework a la I:R (but not bad), give me fancy map a la I:R and I don't need EU5.

yes

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I imagine that the decision on whether to start EU5 development or continue pumping out DLC for EU4 rests with Paradox (the publisher) rather than johan and the tinto team.
The DLCs often containing new buttons which give marginal bonuses/penalities is a bit of a shame, but as the team is mostly new employees and they're working with a 7+ year old codebase there's only so much they can do, on the dev diary forum posts the team gets a lot of flak for not releasing more comphrensive reworks which doesn't seem fair as it's not likely their call at the end of the day. I imagine johan would prefer it to work on Eu5 instead of iterating on Eu4.

But yeah Paradox should greenlight both EU5 and Vicky 3.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Here we are, Uncommonwealth accomplished.

Much later than it could be done. After integrating Poland few years before I spent time on Krakow University mission which required me to build a university in Krakow. Wasn't sure it's Commonwealth mission too. And it looks like it's Lithuania-only.

Muscovy is under PU, Finland is a vassal. I freed Bulgaria from Ottomans and it doesn't want to be a vassal "because of my economic base". Austria is my good old ally and they're the only available rival apart from Ottomans. Not sure what to do now apart from general domineering, beating Ottomans, creating Trade Companies everywhere once Imperialism kicks in.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

EU5 feature #1 with a bullet has gotta be a way to have more limited wars. Having to conquer France to get one French island is just the worst manifestation of this.

ilitarist posted:

Edit: I meant Divine Wind. The one that redraw the map.

Bring 👏 back 👏 map 👏 creases

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just cap the island and wait a few years

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

EU5 feature #1 with a bullet has gotta be a way to have more limited wars. Having to conquer France to get one French island is just the worst manifestation of this.

Bring 👏 back 👏 map 👏 creases

There are times when I wish I could offer to buy a province from a country just like I can offer to sell a province.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm not sure how to do that without making AI exposed and exploitable. But then again, it's EU4 strength to tell me that those guys would agree to an alliance if only I'd have 1 more point of etherial substance known as Diplomatic Reputation. So I guess a peace deal might be affected by "I don't even care about the stuff you're asking for" modifier to simulate limited wars. But then you need to make a price of declaring war higher so that player wouldn't just snatch the land other nations don't care for from everyone, and therefore you need to rebalance total war considerations... So yeah, not an easy thing to add.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want pops instead of development. It would certainly make modeling stuff like the transatlantic slave trade and colonialism in general a lot more interesting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

TMMadman posted:

There are times when I wish I could offer to buy a province from a country just like I can offer to sell a province.

Why buy when you can threaten :devil:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilitarist posted:

"because of my economic base".

They should just make it so there's a -1000 modifier to accepting vassalization for anyone who's not an OPM so I stop thinking it's a possibility I can use

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnEdgelord posted:

I really want pops instead of development. It would certainly make modeling stuff like the transatlantic slave trade and colonialism in general a lot more interesting.

My friend, let me introduce you to MEIOU & Taxes.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

I'm not sure how to do that without making AI exposed and exploitable. But then again, it's EU4 strength to tell me that those guys would agree to an alliance if only I'd have 1 more point of etherial substance known as Diplomatic Reputation. So I guess a peace deal might be affected by "I don't even care about the stuff you're asking for" modifier to simulate limited wars. But then you need to make a price of declaring war higher so that player wouldn't just snatch the land other nations don't care for from everyone, and therefore you need to rebalance total war considerations... So yeah, not an easy thing to add.

Agreed, I like the idea of limited wars but the big challenge is that any limitations on the AI's ability to fully commit to a war have to apply to the player too, or the AI will become even more of a pushover than it already is. And I have a hard time imagining EU4 players embracing a system that forces them to accept defeat in wars where they're losing but could possibly still win by fully committing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly Imperator has the first map that surpasses the 2D ones to me.

The modded ones anyway. Specifically I'm thinking of DH and the two big EU2 map mods. The base games before, like Vicky 2 (which I think actually yoinked an in-progress Ricky map mod), used bizarrely odd layouts. Like, there was no tech reason to make 2D Hungary just a circle with a bizarre cat boner shape jutting out for Croatia. IIRC base EU2 was straight up using the board game map (which also had no reason to look so janky, it was literally printed on cardboard.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I forgot how gorgeous the EU2 map mods were.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Immersion is something the older Paradox games really excelled at (I guess they had to since they were so mechanics-sparse?), and I don't think Paradox has completely recaptured yet.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Beamed posted:

wow naples is going OFF in france !! :wth:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Beamed posted:

Johan hates this because Poland has stolen Prussia's colour

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beamed posted:

i don't get it, is this a joke post?

edit: i mean i guess this doesn't look bad but the UI is kind of a mess (including the icons vomited across the map) and i find modern paradox games way more immersive than the 2D ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 13, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Johan hates this because Poland has stolen Prussia's colour

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: i mean i guess this doesn't look bad but the UI is kind of a mess (including the icons vomited across the map) and i find modern paradox games way more immersive than the 2D ones.

yeah people on this page are crazy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Beamed posted:

Immersion is something the older Paradox games really excelled at (I guess they had to since they were so mechanics-sparse?), and I don't think Paradox has completely recaptured yet.

I just can't immerse myself into the shoes of Renessaince prince without Falalalan playing in the background.

On a more serious note, EU2 and games around it could have a more pronounced style because of their simplicity. They sold you a European imperialist experience, and so the music and the art supported all that. Non-European countries didn't have much content. Same for CK2 in some ways, it was a game about French/English/German Feudals. In both of those games even playing as Eastern Europeans feels weird. CK3 has lots of great art but it's so diverse it still doesn't feel flavorful enough.

But they certainly get better at that. New I:R UI is more eclectic than the original one and it feels right. The map has style and feels appropriate. But maybe it's because I'm used to think about this period as Rome, Greece and some other dudes who wished they were as cool as Rome and Greece. I'm OK with ancient Britain looking similar to ancient India. I don't really like how in CK3 it all looks too stylized, but at the same time CK3 has superb immersive sound. Those subtle melodies and instruments are way to go.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I certainly only like the actual map. The UIs in the 2D games were, uh, well,

not great

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Victoria 1 & 2 2d POP icons are a thing of the past. Obviously in Victoria 3 they have to generate the appearance of every person in the world based on ethnicity, nationality and social standing.

Let's not forget how cumbersome 2D maps are. IIRC Moscow has remained in a wrong place for all of EU2 lifetime. And with the magic of 3D provinces can be quickly modified in patches and mods.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Nova69 posted:

The DLCs often containing new buttons which give marginal bonuses/penalities is a bit of a shame, but as the team is mostly new employees and they're working with a 7+ year old codebase there's only so much they can do, on the dev diary forum posts the team gets a lot of flak for not releasing more comphrensive reworks which doesn't seem fair as it's not likely their call at the end of the day.
7?

Eu4 was built upon eu3, and i coded the core stuff for that game in 2005. So thats basically a 16 year old architecture, that also includes code from original eu1/eu2 at places..

The code itself is not really the main problem, but the sheer amount of features from a design perspective.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Groke posted:

Although it's not useful for your run since you have to do it at the start, here's a recipe for bypassing the quite frankly kinda racist requirement to have a "non-primitive" neighbour for reforming off of, confirmed to work in 1.30:

1. Force-convert yourself to Animist (declare on some Animist nearby, 100% them which makes them have to accept even such an idiotic peace deal as force-converting YOU to THEIR religion).

2. Now you are no longer primitive and can dev-push and embrace institutions, do so AT LEAST for Feudalism (and probably Renaissance). Also you get full income from gold now so you'll be filthy rich.

3. Get some (non-primitive) Animist neighbour tribe as a vassal. Share knowledge with them until they've embraced at least one institution.

4. After getting at least one institution and probably amassing a large tech lead over your neighbours, convert yourself back to Nahuatl. (Either the force-convert trick or taking the Cholula temple would do).

5. Now rush through the relgious reforms. Should be pretty easy given your tech lead and large war chest. Make sure that tribe from point 3 remains alive and well, and are your neighbours.

6. Reform off that tribe. Now you are a non-primitive tribe too. Later you can reform into a horde.

Probably works the same way for Mayan or Inti. (Mayans don't have a convert-o-matic temple province but can always use the force-convert-yourself trick.) True, it doesn't give you the same tech catchup boost as you get for reforming off a more advanced neighbour, but you can do it much faster (and you're saved from having a BIGNUM% tech penalty for not having institutions). Also, optionally you can be a horde.

You don't actually have to convert your own nation to do this, by the way.

The way 'reforming your government' works for new world nations is tied to government type for the totemist and animist nations, and tied to religion for the Nahuatl/Mayan/Inti nations. All you need to do is annex an animist tribe, then release them as a vassal, which replaces their new world tribe government with a regular monarchy. This removes the new world reforming mechanics from your vassal. Then you can just dev push in their province (because they are a vassal) and then once they embrace the institution, you can reform off them and annex them. You can even give them one of your provinces that are already your religion and dev push that, rather than doing it in an animist province, so when you annex them you don't need to spend money converting a 30+ dev animist province.

This strat obviously waits until you've passed all the reforms though, so you're having to do that without the benefit of a big war chest and you're spending more money on tech, whereas Groke's strat is for the start of the game. I'm not sure which one is more 'optimal' - I normally play as the Mayans because I like the formable tag, and for them you don't have any gold provinces to benefit from the spawn-institution-first method. It's not even really required for the Inti, because with those guys there's usually plenty of time to snake your way toward a colony and reform before the Europeans start harassing you.

Please don't fix this in the next patch btw Johan! It's nice to have a second option for the religious reforms and it's even balanced, if you reform this way you don't get any free tech.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 13, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I certainly only like the actual map. The UIs in the 2D games were, uh, well,

not great

I don’t even like the map. It’s to bright. It looks like a kids coloring book

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Red Bones posted:

You don't actually have to convert your own nation to do this, by the way.

The way 'reforming your government' works for new world nations is tied to government type for the totemist and animist nations, and tied to religion for the Nahuatl/Mayan/Inti nations. All you need to do is annex an animist tribe, then release them as a vassal, which replaces their new world tribe government with a regular monarchy. This removes the new world reforming mechanics from your vassal. Then you can just dev push in their province (because they are a vassal) and then once they embrace the institution, you can reform off them and annex them. You can even give them one of your provinces that are already your religion and dev push that, rather than doing it in an animist province, so when you annex them you don't need to spend money converting a 30+ dev animist province.

This strat obviously waits until you've passed all the reforms though, so you're having to do that without the benefit of a big war chest and you're spending more money on tech, whereas Groke's strat is for the start of the game. I'm not sure which one is more 'optimal' - I normally play as the Mayans because I like the formable tag, and for them you don't have any gold provinces to benefit from the spawn-institution-first method. It's not even really required for the Inti, because with those guys there's usually plenty of time to snake your way toward a colony and reform before the Europeans start harassing you.

Please don't fix this in the next patch btw Johan! It's nice to have a second option for the religious reforms and it's even balanced, if you reform this way you don't get any free tech.
I found Inca shockingly easy, especially as Cusco bc you start with a god tier king general and heir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Red Bones posted:

Why the hell did you tell Johan about this. Soon America will again become a land without ships.