Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mastershakeman posted:

whats the shelf stack technique you're discussing? just jamming 1x1s into the terrain to use as anchor points?

also whats the best way to get chain for a black shield? just figure ill come across it when in crypts for more iron? i ran around a swamp all night and couldn't find any wraiths

Clearing crypts seems to be the way to go. I think they have a small chance of dropping from some swamp mobs, but you encounter all of those in crypts + chests with chain spawns along with iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My favorite thing I learned about the dungeons is the fact they're spawned almost infinitely high in the sky. If you manage to glitch out of one of it's walls you will fall down very very far.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Any idea what "nearby" means here, specifically?

The tiles touching the one that was modified. Each tile has 8 neighbors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Any idea what "nearby" means here, specifically?

I don’t know, no. I think someone has figured out what the materialized terrain radius/chunking is, but I haven’t found it specifically.

jkyuusai posted:

The tiles touching the one that was modified. Each tile has 8 neighbors.

I think FLIP means “how far away does terraformed land need to be before it no longer affects my performance?”.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I think FLIP means “how far away does terraformed land need to be before it no longer affects my performance?”.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. My buds and I have a small island base where we each have our own little casas that are just at the edge of drawing distance on medium distance settings from one another. Just curious if our bases are close enough that we lag one another.

Too bad if so.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there anything that actually does fire damage except the arrows? I'm looking for ways to kill lox faster. I guess a spear would be the way to go?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: modding, just get r2modman. It's clean, fast and pulls from thunderstore.io for up to date mods. No nexus bullshit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

genericnick posted:

Is there anything that actually does fire damage except the arrows?
Campfires..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

genericnick posted:

Is there anything that actually does fire damage except the arrows? I'm looking for ways to kill lox faster. I guess a spear would be the way to go?

The handheld torch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like parry and frostners 3 attacks kills lox just as fast as wood arrows, or fire arrows, or dagger.

Probably the best is to open with the leaping critical attack with dagger then use needle arrows but it's not worth it to burn through those

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I feel like parry and frostners 3 attacks kills lox just as fast as wood arrows, or fire arrows, or dagger.

Probably the best is to open with the leaping critical attack with dagger then use needle arrows but it's not worth it to burn through those

Wait, that actually works decently well. Not all that resistant to frost after all.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

fennesz posted:

Honestly if that's the thing causing issues I have to imagine that'll get fixed in time. "All" it would take is simply updating a new default so it only has to translate the changes once. Obviously that's easier said than done for a team of 5...

That's the tricky bit, and why the game only takes up 1 GB of space. There is no map file - the game world is generated by the seed - so the "default" so to speak never changes. Modifications to the world are in your save game file, and layered over the top of the never-changing seed-generated landscape on the fly.

Someone once suggested that they revert the changes back into a changed seed, but that's not the solution either. Although you can have a ton of seeds that generate tons of different worlds, not every possible permutation of a world can be reverted back into a seed, at least with the current design.

It's an interesting engineering problem and I'm looking forward to what kinds of solutions they come up with.

Edit: this is also why dedicated servers are even slower with a lot of terrain edits. All the local clients generate the map from the seed, and modifications are stored server-side and have to be streamed to all clients on the fly.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
Just built The Round Table. What else should I put on the table. Or just leave it the way it is?

...and the Dragon Throne

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Pill Clinton posted:

What else should I put on the table.

Mead.

Meat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
put a Fenris trophy on the floor or bench so it can be like the mysterious pervert hand in The Last Supper

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

genericnick posted:

Wait, that actually works decently well. Not all that resistant to frost after all.

The Black Metal Sword has better damage output against Lox than Frostner does

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just upgrade your bow as far as it'll go and make 200+ wooden arrows, use lox as training to get your bow skill to 30-40+ to where the bow becomes a deadly machine gun.

The damage difference between wooden arrows and the others is really nothing compared to bow skill and the bow itself and Lox, like every enemy in this game, don't have a single attack that beats walking backwards.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 13, 2021

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

That's the tricky bit, and why the game only takes up 1 GB of space. There is no map file - the game world is generated by the seed - so the "default" so to speak never changes. Modifications to the world are in your save game file, and layered over the top of the never-changing seed-generated landscape on the fly.

Someone once suggested that they revert the changes back into a changed seed, but that's not the solution either. Although you can have a ton of seeds that generate tons of different worlds, not every possible permutation of a world can be reverted back into a seed, at least with the current design.

It's an interesting engineering problem and I'm looking forward to what kinds of solutions they come up with.

Edit: this is also why dedicated servers are even slower with a lot of terrain edits. All the local clients generate the map from the seed, and modifications are stored server-side and have to be streamed to all clients on the fly.

I don't really understand this. The delta from the seed terrain would explain bad loading times, but surely while you're walking across it, the actual terrain is kept in memory either way. Whether you're holding on to the pure seed-generated terrain or to terrain after applying a big matrix of modifications should work out the same there.

If they're applying terrain modifications every frame, that seems very fixable, but I guess it could require a surprising amount of rearchitecting...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vanadium posted:

If they're applying terrain modifications every frame, that seems very fixable, but I guess it could require a surprising amount of rearchitecting...

This is what I fear, each instantiated terrain delta gets processed every frame. They’ll figure it out, I’m sure; they seem like solid devs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Woah, that was... woah.

Me and a friend are riding our rafts through the night, returning from defeating three of the first boss (at once, first time fighting him. Them.). A storm sweeps in, it starts raining and gets dark.

Suddenly, something moves up ahead in the water...

We race our rafts as fast as we can through the storm, and the creature is right on our tail. It attacks the raft behind me, damaging it as my friend struggles to maintain control.

Suddenly, we see it. Just up ahead, the silhouette of an island. We're too far to make it to our base, but we can maybe save ourselves and rebuild and make it home in the morning. I get to the island first and...

Try to build a crafting table, but I can't for some reason? I had difficulty getting up on the island and my friends jump skill is lower so Im struggling to build some stairs to get them up once they catch up. Just as the do, the serpent destroys their raft, guaranteeing they will need it. But I can't do it! I can't do it because...

The island shakes, and it sinks in. THIS ISN'T AN ISLAND, IT'S ANOTHER CREATURE. As the serpent kills my friend, I fire arrow after arrow into it. Eventually my raft is destroted as well, stranding me, and the serpent swims off. Not knowing what else to do, unable to build and too far to swim home, I break open one of the barnacles and get some chitin. Interesting. Then the island shakes again. And shakes again. Its shaking more and more frequently, and then what I fear is what happens... it begins to sink below the waves.

Anyway so now I'm carrying all our new supplies and treading water in the middle of the ocean waiting for rescue.

This game is fuckin' awesome.

Edit: Also, I tried using Vortex for mods and it didn't work, maybe I will try bepin directly next time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tried out debug mode to make building our new base easier. Also learned a lot about wood-iron posts!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: Also, I tried using Vortex for mods and it didn't work, maybe I will try bepin directly next time.

When I first started using that it didn't work because it would show stuff as "installed" but it's not actually installed until you do the UAC prompt from the easily-missed notification. Once I figured that out it's been fine. Maybe you're having the same issue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
UAC prompt?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a benefit to laying out the foundation and framework with beams and columns? I've noticed a lot of tutorials do this, but can I just skip it if I don't need the beams for structural support? Wood is a pain to mine.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a benefit to laying out the foundation and framework with beams and columns? I've noticed a lot of tutorials do this, but can I just skip it if I don't need the beams for structural support? Wood is a pain to mine.

They're not needed for the structure to stand, but they're indispensable for measuring the template and getting it right the first time.

I've lost count of the number of houses I've built where I'm coming around on the last corner, and it doesn't match up. Finally I find the one place where I slightly overlapped a floor tile or something like that, and followed that mistake around from there, and a lot of swearing and wood breaking sounds commence as I tear everything down to fix it. Foundations are quick, hard to snap wrong, easy to see, and keep you from losing sanity near the end of the project.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No you don't need to use the beams at all if you don't want to, they help with structural stability but if it stays up anyway you don't need to worry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in future updates they give enemies and even players more mobile attack animations and let players dodge out of attack animations, backpedaling beats every melee enemy right now, letting players keep some movement while swinging or giving enemies attacks that chase the player would be interesting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wood is a pain to mine? Buddy you're in for it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best way I can describe this game is that it reminds me of the parts of old MMOs like Everquest 1 at the moments when they were fun despite themselves

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's hard to describe what exactly they did right in this, but you can feel that they did it right.

I think the art style probably helped it out, if it was a post-apocalyptic brown on brown survival crafter with baby programmers first guns this game probably would not of been a surprise hit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I reached the mistlands. I looked at the article for what is planned there and I guess I wont be playing once they put in those loving things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been wondering about a game that would eventually and intentionally do the artstyle of "low quality textures and models combined with high quality environmental effects," and Valheim definitely is the first one I've seen pull it off fantastically.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's hard to describe what exactly they did right in this, but you can feel that they did it right.

I think the art style probably helped it out, if it was a post-apocalyptic brown on brown survival crafter with baby programmers first guns this game probably would not of been a surprise hit.

It's easy to get into, it can run on all machines, it's practically pve-only and it respects your time (compared to other survival games).

It feels very similar to how WOW exploded when it first came out.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

GlyphGryph posted:

UAC prompt?

The windows "do you want to allow this software to make changes to your device y/n" prompt.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well...poo poo. I was sailing around my island and a giant mosquito showed up and one-shot me while I was sailing. Its going to be a long, long sail back to my karve. I didn't think the fucker could catch up to me the way that he did or I'd have just tried to shoot him.

e: I am learning now I definitely should have run as close as I could and THEN built a raft to sail out to my stuff instead of trying to sail the whole way. gently caress this raft.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 13, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

OwlFancier posted:

No you don't need to use the beams at all if you don't want to, they help with structural stability but if it stays up anyway you don't need to worry.

Does structural support affect how much damage the building takes over time? Will my house fall apart if i don't do maintenance repairs from time to time? I noticed the floors took damage when rained upon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Does structural support affect how much damage the building takes over time? Will my house fall apart if i don't do maintenance repairs from time to time? I noticed the floors took damage when rained upon.

No. Buildings take damage in the rain if they don't have roofs (except for some "outdoors" buildings like log walls and fences and stuff) and can degrade to a max of 50% health from that. They will never collapse from environmental damage.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Put a roof over your wooden floors and you'll be fine.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I got mosquito one-shotted half an hour's sail from base and ultimately just used console cheats to recover the body because otherwise I'd probably have quit the game. Sure I should have been making little outposts and portals and had backup equipment and all that but eh, I have no regrets. I hope they make the drat mosquitos stay the hell in the plains someday because that was not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

I got mosquito one-shotted half an hour's sail from base and ultimately just used console cheats to recover the body because otherwise I'd probably have quit the game. Sure I should have been making little outposts and portals and had backup equipment and all that but eh, I have no regrets. I hope they make the drat mosquitos stay the hell in the plains someday because that was not fun at all.

Yeah I'm considering it. Or they need to make sailing faster. It's weird that sailing is so slow given how much faster even paddling a canoe is compared to walking in real life. Paddling a raft being half of your walking speed is just...yeah. Boats were primary transport for a reason!

Lesson learned about sailing too close to plains I guess but drat.

E2: I hate the wind. I know it doesn't really but I'm convinced it turns against you on purpose.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 13, 2021