Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree has left the lobby, and so you find yourself standing in the entrance to Evertree Inn, completely alone. In front of you is the check-in desk where you know the leatherbound ledger and various other check-in papers lie hidden, and behind the desk is a door that you can only assume leads to Mrs. Dupree's private office. There doesn't appear to be anyone around. If you were quiet you might be able to do some exploring. Otherwise you could try ringing the bell if you want to talk to someone in person.

What would you like to do?

1. Ring for assistance.
2. Explore the reception.
3. Investigate the door to the back office.
4. I'm done investigating the lobby. I'll go somewhere else.

If we'd come here earlier in the hour, she would have still been here. Several of the locations change with time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. Let's explore reception since this might be our only chance to get a good look on our own.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Explore the reception.

Evertree posted:

As you step around to the other side of the large counter, you can see that there is far more here than one might expect. Boxes and books and files fill three shelves completely. You'll have to be systematic in your approach to searching.

What would you like to investigate?

1. Are there any clues in the check-in ledger?
2. Are there any more letters concerning Mr. Risenfaal?
3. Are there any spare room keys I could take?
4. Is there anything worth stealing?
5. I'm done investigating the front desk.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1 then 2. We've been in a lot of rooms so far so there's no need to look for keys.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

1 then 2. We've been in a lot of rooms so far so there's no need to look for keys.

Agreed. We haven't had much trouble getting into places in general.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are there any clues in the check-in ledger?

Evertree posted:

You open up the ledger, which you recognise from earlier, and are confronted with page upon page of guest information. Right now you are looking at your own check-in notes.

Room - 1
Race - elf (female)
Name - Glangwen Ogg
Booking - 1 night
Notes - prefers ladies or gentlemen; carries staff & bow; pony in stall 1

The rest of the book is huge, but if you spend a minute or two going through it you could learn a lot about the other rooms.

Which room interests you?

Room 2

Evertree posted:

You find the following information about the guest currently staying in room 2.

Room - 2
Race - halfling (male)
Name - Tobin Brushgather
Booking - 1 night
Notes - carries knife

Room 3

Evertree posted:

You find room 3 to be unoccupied tonight, but looking further back you come across the check in details for the last guest to stay there - Mr. Gregori Risenfaal, just a little over one week ago!

Room - 3
Race - human (male)
Name - Gregori Risenfaal
Booking - 1 night
Notes - prefers gentlemen!; no weapons; horse in stall 3

You take a little longer to investigate the other guests staying at the time of Mr. Risenfaal's death but the inn was mostly empty with only a halfling couple staying in room 6 and a dwarf in room 4 whose notes suggest he needed assistance with the stairs. Neither halflings nor dwarf are particularly likely suspects so the question still remains, "Who killed Mr. Risenfaal?"

Room 4

Evertree posted:

You find the following information about the guest currently staying in room 4.

Room - 4
Race - half-orc (male)
Name - Gunther Ga'arl
Booking - 3 nights
Notes - carries battleaxe

Room 5

Evertree posted:

You find the following information about the guest currently staying in room 5.

Room - 5
Race - half-elf (female)
Name - Daisy Thorne
Booking - 1 night
Notes - prefers ladies or gentlemen; horse in stall 5; travelling with room 6

Room 6

Evertree posted:

You find the following information about the guest currently staying in room 6.

Room - 6
Race - elf (female)
Name - Isaria Evenveil
Booking - 1 night
Notes - prefers gentlemen; no weapons; horse in stall 6; travelling with room 5; VIP!

There's no real cost to this (looking at one costs the same time-wise, as looking at all of them), so here they all are.

Evertree posted:

You carefully close the ledger and place it back on the shelf but you aren't paying attention as much as you should have been and the book knocks against another box of files, sending them falling to the ground with a thud.

You freeze, but luckily it doesn't sound like anyone heard you. You quickly pick up the box of files and make a note to pay more attention next time.

Are there any more letters concerning Mr. Risenfaal?

Evertree posted:

You try rummaging through one of the boxes of papers on the bottom shelf, but nothing looks anything like the official letter given to you by Mrs. Dupree. Either there are no more documents like it, or any others have been destroyed.

1. Are there any spare room keys I could take?
2. Is there anything worth stealing?
3. I'm done investigating the front desk.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. Check for keys.

All because we *can* magically bust in anywhere via magic doesn't mean we should burn all our mana on doing so. Besides, maybe we find keys to other parts of the Inn.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Keys or larceny?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Lets see what we can find.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Larceny it is.

Is there anything worth stealing?

Evertree posted:

Aside from the spectacular blue quill, which would probably be noticed if it went missing, you find a small metal box which you recognise as the one Mrs. Dupree used to store your payment. It's locked, of course, but with an unusual lock made of metal. It looks like in order to open it, you need to input a two digit number. You've never seen anything like it. It looks like even magic wouldn't work.

1.Break it open.
2. Try the code.
3. Leave the box alone

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

3 no stealing from people who don't deserve it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Option #2 implies we have a code known somehow, but I don't remember us coming across any mysterious two-digit numbers. So I'm assuming 'try the code' would basically be randomly typing numbers until it works - which seems likely to trigger a trap and/or take so long that someone comes around.

Just 3 leave the drat thing alone. We'll remember it exists and just keep our eyes open for potential codes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, 3. We can remember and come back later if need be.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MagusofStars posted:

Option #2 implies we have a code known somehow, but I don't remember us coming across any mysterious two-digit numbers. So I'm assuming 'try the code' would basically be randomly typing numbers until it works - which seems likely to trigger a trap and/or take so long that someone comes around.

This is exactly how try the code works, if you've found it and remember it, you can put it in, otherwise, have fun guessing 2 digit numbers.

Leave the box alone.

Evertree posted:

1. Are there any spare room keys I could take?
2. I'm done investigating the front desk.

If we want finish investigating the front desk, we're back to these options:

Evertree posted:

1. Ring for assistance.
2. Explore the reception.
3. Investigate the door to the back office.
4. I'm done investigating the lobby. I'll go somewhere else.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1, let's see if we can get a little luckier with keys.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

1, let's see if we can get a little luckier with keys.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are there any spare room keys I could take?

Evertree posted:

The keys are kept on a row of neat hooks pressed into a cork board on the wall behind the counter, but a quick glance tells you that there are none there to borrow.

A rummage through the shelves reveals a single key resting on its own towards the back of the middle shelf, as if it had been hastily tucked away there. The key is labeled with the number 3 and looks as though it hasn't been used for at least a few days. It doesn't look like it would be missed if you borrowed it for while.

1. Ring for assistance.
2. Investigate the door to the back office.
3. I'm done investigating the lobby. I'll go somewhere else.
Guile %+2

Just a key for Room 3, as that's the only unoccupied room tonight. Unfortunately, we've already been in there. There actually is a skeleton key somewhere in the inn, but, clearly, it's not here.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 16, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

3, we're done here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay! Time for one final location before dinner.

Evertree posted:

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You don't have much time left!]

1. Go back and talk to Daisy.
2. Go back to Isaria.
3. Go to the dining hall.
4. Go back outside now that Lamuel is no longer there
5. I'm done with exploring. I'm just going to rest until dinner time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dining hall time.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Let’s head to the dining hall

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It always pays to be the first person in the dining hall, you can get the best seats.

Go to the dining hall.

Evertree" posted:

The dining hall is the largest room in the tavern, its walls also made of smooth oak and with torches in brackets on all four sides which make up for the lack of light breaking through the windows. There is an unlit fireplace on the far wall and a door in the back wall leading to what must be the kitchen.

A halfling is scrubbing the tables and laying plates and cutlery on all the surfaces. She is young, barely more than a child, and she is plain to look at, with dirty blonde hair in an untidy ponytail, and wearing grubby overalls. Upon seeing you enter she gives you a friendly wave but does not stop working.

"Good evening, ma'am. Dinner's not quite ready yet, but if there's anything I can help you with, please ask."

1. "Do you need any help?"
2. "If you're not busy, I wouldn't mind asking you some things."
3. "No, thank you. I'm just exploring."

This is the character you can meet in Chapter 1 if you ask Laisa for help with your bags.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'll update once we have a vote.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ya need help bub?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Need some help?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Do you need any help?"

Evertree posted:

The halfling looks relieved at your offer and says, "Would you? I'm so behind and we're nearly at full capacity tonight."

"I'm Wen, by the way," she adds. "Nice to meet you."

You set to work helping Wen to lay out the tables with the requisite wooden crockery and beautiful knives and forks with ornate, wooden handles, as well as filling vases with water, arranging flowers, lighting candles and the fireplace, and even a bit of sweeping and dusting.

As you work, Wen relaxes and you are able to ask her a number of things about herself and the inn.

1. "So you look like you enjoy your work here."
2. "Who else works here?"
3. "What are the other guests like?"
4. "Do you remember a man who stayed here called Gregori Risenfaal?"
5. I think Wen might be hiding something. I'll offer her a gold piece to loosen her tongue.
6. I'll use magic to read her mind quickly. (Mana: 10)
Wen +20

We could also leave, but if we do that, the dinner bell will ring and the chapter will be over, so let me know what questions you want me to ask before that happens!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 18, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1 you seem nice

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Start with 1-3 in order and see what answers we get.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Black Robe posted:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Black Robe posted:

This.

Also, where's our dang friendship boost for basically doing Wen's job for her?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MagusofStars posted:

Also, where's our dang friendship boost for basically doing Wen's job for her?
That's on me, I forgot to add it. We got a nice +20 relationship boost. Wen is an innocent child and basically gloms onto anyone who's vaguely nice to her.

"So you look like you enjoy your work here."

Evetree posted:

"Oh, of course!" Wen says cheerfully. "I've worked here most of my life and everyone's always been very good to me. It's especially good now that we have our cook, Gilly. It means mother can rest a little before dinner. Mother works very hard but I always try to help as much as I can. I'm a really hard worker too!"

As Wen says this, you realise she must be talking about Mrs. Dupree. Obviously they can't actually be mother and daughter. Perhaps there's a story there. <Clue 4 updated!>

"I shouldn't like to do Lamuel's work though," Wen continues. You ask her why and she looks at you as if considering how much of a confidante you might be. Then she says, "He has to go down into the wood cellar and I hate it down there. I always feel like someone's watching me." She shudders at the thought. You find yourself intrigued. If there's time, it might be worth checking it out. <Clue 8 updated!>

1. "Does that have anything to do with Mr. Dupree dying down there?"
2. "I believe you. There are many things in the Worlds that can't be explained."
3. "I understand. I get scared of the dark sometimes too."
4. "You should probably toughen up."
Wen +5

Stats posted:

Clues
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree.
8 - Wen is scared of the wood cellar.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 18, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

3, I think it's a bit soon to be asking about the dead guy since we've only just started talking to her.