Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In Dark Sun I would be more concerned for magical shelter, create food/water types spells anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
What's the GM's reasoning for domain limitations? My understanding is that, given the lack of deities in Dark Sun, Clerics on Athas typically serve either The Sorcerer Kings or one of the elemental forces, but I feel like the majority of the existing domains could be reflavored to accommodate that. Obviously that doesn't help in your given situation, but I am curious about the DM's reasoning.

In terms of healing options, Druids definitely do have a decent selection, as do Bards and Paladins. You can also get some secondary healing options through the Celestial domain Warlock.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Divine Soul sorcerer also has access to cleric spells.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingKalamari posted:

What's the GM's reasoning for domain limitations? My understanding is that, given the lack of deities in Dark Sun, Clerics on Athas typically serve either The Sorcerer Kings or one of the elemental forces, but I feel like the majority of the existing domains could be reflavored to accommodate that. Obviously that doesn't help in your given situation, but I am curious about the DM's reasoning.

In terms of healing options, Druids definitely do have a decent selection, as do Bards and Paladins. You can also get some secondary healing options through the Celestial domain Warlock.

I assume the GM isn't converting the old 2e material himself and is just using this 5e homebrew from the web:

https://darksun5e-1.obsidianportal.com/

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

In Dark Sun I would be more concerned for magical shelter, create food/water types spells anyway

I thought that 'creation'-type spells were severely hampered on Athas, or did not work at all?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenMetalSun posted:

I thought that 'creation'-type spells were severely hampered on Athas, or did not work at all?

Druids can do it, and water Clerics. Druids are the only reason that wild areas with life even exist on Athus at all. So if you go on an adventure as a Druid in Dark Sun you are abandoning a patch of wilderness that likely wont be there when you return

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 12, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rutibex posted:

Druids can do it, and water Clerics. Druids are the only reason that wild areas with life even exist on Athus at all. So if you go on an adventure as a Druid in Dark Sun you are abandoning a patch of wilderness that likely wont be there when you return

that sounds like a way cooler hook than “this lance? fuckin kills dragons so we call it a dragonlance pretty sick right?”

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Is it worth it trying to get an rogue assassin multiple assassinates in a single combat? I have a
level 3 rogue / level 1 sorcerer. If at the start of combat I cast fog bank on myself, I can use my bonus action to hide, sneak out of the fog bank, fire off a shot from my crossbow on a surprised target, then step 5' back into the fog bank to do it all over again the next turn. Is my interpretation correct? Is this an rear end in a top hat thing to do?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I will admit that the rules on surprise are abysmally written, but my understanding is that surprise is only a first-round-of-combat thing.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Assassinate is triggered by people who haven’t acted yet and who are surprised. Even if you hide, once a round of combat has completed they’re not affected by it for the rest of that combat.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Is it worth it trying to get an rogue assassin multiple assassinates in a single combat? I have a
level 3 rogue / level 1 sorcerer. If at the start of combat I cast fog bank on myself, I can use my bonus action to hide, sneak out of the fog bank, fire off a shot from my crossbow on a surprised target, then step 5' back into the fog bank to do it all over again the next turn. Is my interpretation correct? Is this an rear end in a top hat thing to do?

Surprise rules aren’t that well defined but I think in general you can’t have more than one surprise attack in a single encounter. As a DM I would probably say that once you attack from the fog, you can’t surprise enemies with the same trick even if they can’t see you through the fog.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Street Horrrsing posted:

any gm who thinks for 1 second will say "if i am being shot at i will not be surprised by subsequent shots coming at me" and say no to this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Having said all this, if you attack out of hiding, you get free advantage, so your plan would be a reasonable way to get sneak attacks without relying on another person to take the front lines. You're just not going to get auto-crits.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I believe you can get a similar effect as a rogue/sorcerer with Quickened Sleep or Hold Person on the following rounds. You don't even need to be an assassin for this, as the unconsciousness/paralysis should give you advantage and a autocrit.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This came up in a conversation but we couldn't find evidence of it. Was there a Paladin oath/subclass/whatever in a previous edition that was like a simp paladin with a chaste devotion to a queen or whatever?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Real UK Grime posted:

I believe you can get a similar effect as a rogue/sorcerer with Quickened Sleep or Hold Person on the following rounds. You don't even need to be an assassin for this, as the unconsciousness/paralysis should give you advantage and a autocrit.

I'd interpret this as being within the rules to do, since each has some balance in it to keep it from just being all auto-crits every turn. The other one, even if it was RAW (which it isn't) is something that I'd rule can't be done on the basis that Assassinate is pretty clearly intended to be a one-time opener.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So our party has a warlock with Bel as a patron and he gets the characters soul when he dies as part of a contract between the two. The warlock has had his goal in mind all campaign (we started at 1 level and are 13 now a year and a half irl later) of either finding a way to never die (lich?) or breaking the contract. The topic came up again today and there are rules for breaking a contract with a devil but no rules for what happens to a warlock if they break the pact with their patron. Quick look around on Google seems to say there are rules to allow it or what happens if you do. Older editions had things like paladins losing their abilities which obviously is lovely and no one is suggesting that. Anyone have some good ideas for this? Maybe needing to do some involved quest to get the contract modified or having to find a new patron.

It doesn't feel right to have nothing happen and also the older edition penalties are too steep.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
There are a number of ways to carry on past your normal lifespan, but I can't think of one that doesn't require dying at some point - particularly lichdom. (Lich transformation, reincarnation, clone all require you to die first, and even true resurrection requires that your soul be free.)

Give him leverage to renegotiate. Maybe Bel has some really important goal that eludes him and he offers to grant any boon to whomever can carry it out (something worth trading a soul for). Turn that into an adventure for the character/party (preferably something that looks a lot tougher than character and gets accomplished by some combination of "luck" and trickery). Then he can ask for his soul back. Since the character is still useful to Bel and accomplished something worth his soul there's no reason to break the contract entirely, so he can keep all his powers, but maybe Bel keeps a closer eye on the tricky bastard and makes more demands of him (i.e. future plot hooks).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This came up in a conversation but we couldn't find evidence of it. Was there a Paladin oath/subclass/whatever in a previous edition that was like a simp paladin with a chaste devotion to a queen or whatever?
Courtly love. There were a few fan things but I don't think anything official.

You might be thinking of pathfinder, they gave it mechanics at least once.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Splicer posted:

Is there a Crit Cobain class too?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

2nd ed complete paladin's handbook. There's a whole section titled "rules for courtly love". It was cringeworthy when it was published and I have no idea how bad it will be now.

e: Yeah it's basically a vow of incel fixation.

quote:

She is less a person than a romantic ideal, like a character in a poem or a dream. Often, the beloved is an unobtainable, unapproachable person, such as the spouse of a friend or the offspring of a monarch. The paladin may have never even met her, merely watched her from afar.
Whether the beloved returns the paladin’s affection, or even knows of it, is irrelevant.
The paladin’s beloved can be any attractive NPC of the opposite gender, preferably of high
Charisma (at least 15 or so)
aristocrats, government officials, high-level paladins, and affluent land-owners), princes and princesses, celebrities (renowned poets, scholars, and mages), and the spouses of kings and queens
she may simply approach him for directions to the nearest inn, smile in thanks, then mount her horse and ride away. A fleeting glance or a chance meeting is all that’s required for the paladin to become hopelessly smitten.

that's all from the first third or so of it, I'm not gonna keep going. But it goes away if you gently caress or get married.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 13, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

2nd ed complete paladin's handbook. There's a whole section titled "rules for courtly love". It was cringeworthy when it was published and I have no idea how bad it will be now.
I may have been wrong but I bring a gift!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3533536&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post412494054

pog boyfriend posted:

any gm who thinks for 1 second will say "if i am being shot at i will not be surprised by subsequent shots coming at me" and say no to this
Mechanically I'm pretty sure you stay surprised until the end of the first turn since you can't take reactions during the first turn, so as long as all the shots occur in the first turn you can be surprised by multiple shots. If you want a more narrative reason, in game a single round is a few seconds of violence all happening at the same time so being surprised by multiple shots in that time is pretty reasonable.

The only ways to assassin more on the first turn I can think of would be a couple of levels of fighter for the action surge or pregaming yourself with haste

e: or just picking up extra attacks from somewhere, but don't forget you only get your sneak attack damage once per turn and need to do the hold action trick to do it a second time in a round, which doesn't work with extra attack

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 13, 2021

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

So our party has a warlock with Bel as a patron and he gets the characters soul when he dies as part of a contract between the two. The warlock has had his goal in mind all campaign (we started at 1 level and are 13 now a year and a half irl later) of either finding a way to never die (lich?) or breaking the contract. The topic came up again today and there are rules for breaking a contract with a devil but no rules for what happens to a warlock if they break the pact with their patron. Quick look around on Google seems to say there are rules to allow it or what happens if you do. Older editions had things like paladins losing their abilities which obviously is lovely and no one is suggesting that. Anyone have some good ideas for this? Maybe needing to do some involved quest to get the contract modified or having to find a new patron.

It doesn't feel right to have nothing happen and also the older edition penalties are too steep.

In Critical Roll the warlock went against his original patron and got a new one, started to take levels in paladin and his spells were reflavored from being dark and evil purple blasts to pretty and more nature/fey styled effects. This of course pissed of his original patron which has already given them a lot of trouble (assassination attempts etc.) and will probably lead to another adventure arc.

It's not quite what you're asking but if your warlock isn't just looking to save his soul you could create an opportunity for a more benevolent patron to be a solution, in exchange for some great work that benefits the world or something. They'll still be a warlock with a patron but their soul will no longer be in jeopardy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: nah

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

That's the phrase I was looking for. Apparently the 2e complete paladins handbook had rules for it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My general view on Warlock pacts is that the power is bestowed, not loaned, so breaking the pact would not remove levels or abilities. Maybe it would prevent further level ups, but also maybe not, you could justify it as the Warlock is just unlocking more power that they've already seized, so it's more of a question of "what would make sense without ruining the player's fun".

That said, I don't think breaking a contract for a soul is a trivial matter, I don't think that simply getting a new patron works, the contract with Bel existed first, so the player would be bargaining with a soul they don't own. Assuming that Bel was completely unwilling to budge on the terms of the deal, I think my priority would be to find a way to time travel and sell my soul in the past, possibly creating a legal conflict over which contract takes chronological precedence that would not be worth pursuing in small souls court.

My current party has a Warlock pledged to the Archduchess of Cania (Mephistopheles is dead), and she's generally been quite willing to dangle amendments to the life extension clause of the contract in exchange for additional tasks. If she has need of mortals, and this one's competent, might as well let him stick around a bit longer.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I think modifying it is the best solution. We started off doing Descent to Avernus and have now moved onto what I would call: Sandbox of the Sword Coast® with the same characters a year after those events. In Avernus We redeemed Zariel and put Bel in charge again so no idea why the Warlock didn't just ask for the change to the contract then to get his soul back seems like you had just done the dude a huge solid.

So maybe just going back to Bel and talking to him is the best.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009

Azathoth posted:

I'd interpret this as being within the rules to do, since each has some balance in it to keep it from just being all auto-crits every turn. The other one, even if it was RAW (which it isn't) is something that I'd rule can't be done on the basis that Assassinate is pretty clearly intended to be a one-time opener.

Yeah 100%, once combat has started I don't think you can re-surprise someone RAW. Hiding every round for advantage is a thing, but that's not enough for Assassinate. I was thinking of ways re-surprising mid-combat could be feasible, and I think if it was just the one creature and you hit it with Modify Memory? Yeah I might allow that. If you can do that tho, you can can probably Hold Monster which is superior for this in every way, except maybe style points.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

Mechanically I'm pretty sure you stay surprised until the end of the first turn since you can't take reactions during the first turn, so as long as all the shots occur in the first turn you can be surprised by multiple shots. If you want a more narrative reason, in game a single round is a few seconds of violence all happening at the same time so being surprised by multiple shots in that time is pretty reasonable.

The only ways to assassin more on the first turn I can think of would be a couple of levels of fighter for the action surge or pregaming yourself with haste

e: or just picking up extra attacks from somewhere, but don't forget you only get your sneak attack damage once per turn and need to do the hold action trick to do it a second time in a round, which doesn't work with extra attack

absolutely for end of the first turn, i was more referring to second turn coming back around and going "surprise. its me again". doesnt really work. although if there was a battlemaster who went second in initiative using their commanding strike to get a second assassinate would be funny and also pretty surprising

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If they didn't die from the first hit you didn't assassinate them :colbert:

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
At my table, the ability only works if its politically or religiously motivated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been re-playing Pool of Radiance and I've realized everyone I play tabletop with is a relative virgin and would have absolutely no idea what was going to happen if I led them through the old "ruins of adventure" module.

Is anyone aware of a good update of it for 5e, ideally with scale maps?

I've done a little digging on this and I found a version on Fantasy Grounds, and it looks fairly complete, but it's 2nd edition.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2EFRC1

How "hackable" are fantasy grounds products like this? Could I take this product, extract the maps and general content, and manually update it for 2e / edit it as desired? If so how hard would it be?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I've done a little digging on this and I found a version on Fantasy Grounds, and it looks fairly complete, but it's 2nd edition.

How "hackable" are fantasy grounds products like this? Could I take this product, extract the maps and general content, and manually update it for 2e / edit it as desired? If so how hard would it be?

I've found that statistically 2e monsters are actually pretty close to 5e. You can usually just keep the Hitpoints identical and use a simple THAC0 formula to get the AC

20-[1e or 2e AC] = 5e AC
20-THAC0 = 5e attack bonus

I run all kinds of old school module for my 5e game. I love the old art work, last one we did was Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 13, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

2E and 5E are closer than you might think.

I ran Night Below in 5E just doing conversions on the fly, or the night prior. Pretty painless, as evidenced above.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

cheesetriangles posted:

The lack of rules means the consequences are at the discretion of the DM. I'd consider something along the line of the Critical Role example Taeke mentioned: The Warlock can break their pact, but they lose their Warlock spells and features until they find another patron. The DM COULD just have a new one pop in immediately, but it would be a good quest hook to try and find a new patron more aligned with the Warlock's character. The DM and the Warlock's player should discuss that sort of thing together, though, to find out what the Warlock's player wants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think I read somewhere that the "official" rule in 5e is that the Warlocks's abilities are *learned*, not *Granted*, and thus can't be revoked by the patron. They're things the Patron teaches, not powers delegated.

The problem with revoking powers like they did on Critical Role is that it can leave the character worthless for a while and it sucks to play without toys.

What I'd suggest is 1) they keep the powers but 2) are stricken with some sort of terrible curse by their patron. Then to get the curse undone that involves either a complete character rewrite as a new class, or a shift to a new patron who teaches them how to realign themselves.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think I read somewhere that the "official" rule in 5e is that the Warlocks's abilities are *learned*, not *Granted*, and thus can't be revoked by the patron. They're things the Patron teaches, not powers delegated.

The problem with revoking powers like they did on Critical Role is that it can leave the character worthless for a while and it sucks to play without toys.

What I'd suggest is 1) they keep the powers but 2) are stricken with some sort of terrible curse by their patron. Then to get the curse undone that involves either a complete character rewrite as a new class, or a shift to a new patron who teaches them how to realign themselves.

When it came up in my last game, I had it ping his general location when he used his abilities...so the more he used them, the closer the Patron's minions got to catching up with him.

This lasted until he got a new Patron that could tell the old one to back the gently caress up, which was a side-quest. Turns out it can be hard to find a new guy when word is out you don't hold to your contacts. They had to find a Patron willing to sign him on just to spite his ex.

It let him keep his toys, but also made him think about when to use them. The group loved it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fantasy Grounds modules are very extractable, at least all the ones that I have are. I have done exactly what you are describing on several modules.

Depending on how the creator set up the module, it'll either just be a straight up folder you can browse into and go to the "images" folder, or it might be a .mod file with everything contained within. Fortunately, you can just rename the .mod file from filename.mod to filename.zip and open it up that way just like you can extract images from a Word doc (or a lot of other files) by renaming it to .zip.

In the interest of not overselling, I don't know for an absolute fact that there [/i]isn't[/i] a way to do copy protection that would make extracting the files harder/impossible. But if there is, I've never heard of Fantasy Grounds doing it. Just bear that in mind I guess if you'd be pissed that you spent $8 and some rando on the internet's directions didn't work.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Regarding the courtly love stuff, do you suppose such a thing could have a 5e oath without becoming toxic incel poo poo, so long as the tenets were carefully made and it included use of player safety tools?

I love the idea of some romantic idiot paladin dooming himself to hopeless devotion, but obviously nobody wants an Elliott Rodger paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Regarding the courtly love stuff, do you suppose such a thing could have a 5e oath without becoming toxic incel poo poo, so long as the tenets were carefully made and it included use of player safety tools?

I love the idea of some romantic idiot paladin dooming himself to hopeless devotion, but obviously nobody wants an Elliott Rodger paladin.

I mean put in context courtly love had almost nothing to do with romance in the way that we understand it so I think it could be a really neat idea? I mean I try not to ever plan my games around assholes because they'll be assholes whether my ideas are ripe for it or not.