Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Welp the game finally got me, the post-Stormblood conversation in Ala Mhigo between Raubahn and Nanamo legit made me tear up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you just use it off cooldown you'll have more mana in the bank when you do need heavy MP usage.

But your total bank is much larger when you have thin air available. If thin air is on cooldown then you can only spend up to 10000 MP, but if it isn't then you get 12s of free MP AND however much MP you have leftover when it expires. If you use TA on glare spam but end up needing to rez when it's on cooldown, that's a huge net loss.

Using TA on glare spam only saves you 1600 MP, or 2000 under POM. That's barely more than a Cure 3, and less than a rez. But using it when you need it could save you up to 6900 MP (the nightmare scenario of rez + cure 3 spam, also nice). Which do you think is better?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

if you're in actually hard content where mana management can matter you'll know when you have heavy gcd healing planned out already to pop it for. otherwise it's probably content that doesn't matter and you just press it whenever or if you need to multires and that's Good Enough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thin Air's secret super advantage is that it works for anything that costs MP so you can use it on high-cost Lost Actions like Seraph Strike to throw it off without so much as flinching at the 5000 MP cost.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fister Roboto posted:

But your total bank is much larger when you have thin air available. If thin air is on cooldown then you can only spend up to 10000 MP, but if it isn't then you get 12s of free MP AND however much MP you have leftover when it expires. If you use TA on glare spam but end up needing to rez when it's on cooldown, that's a huge net loss.

Using TA on glare spam only saves you 1600 MP, or 2000 under POM. That's barely more than a Cure 3, and less than a rez. But using it when you need it could save you up to 6900 MP (the nightmare scenario of rez + cure 3 spam, also nice). Which do you think is better?

Your nightmare scenario is dumb so I'll just ignore it. But Raise manacost is real, so let's compare 4 glares to 3 glares and a swiftcast raise -- saving thin air for the scenario 2 gains you 2000 MP compared to using it for scenario 1 (1600mp vs 3600).

Each thin air you use without saving it is worth (bare minimum) 1600 mp, and it has a 120s cooldown. So the MP you'd gain by saving it for Raise is equal to the MP you'd lose by holding it for (120 * 2000/1600) = 150 seconds.
If you decide to save Thin Air for when you "need it", and you go 150 seconds or more without anyone dying, you've lost mana compared to just mindlessly spamming it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 13, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your nightmare scenario is dumb so I'll just ignore it. But Raise manacost is real, so let's compare 4 glares to 3 glares and a swiftcast raise -- saving thin air for the scenario 2 gains you 2000 MP compared to using it for scenario 1 (1600mp vs 3600).

Each thin air you use without saving it is worth (bare minimum) 1600 mp, and it has a 120s cooldown. So the MP you'd gain by saving it for Raise is equal to the MP you'd lose by holding it for (120 * 2000/1600) = 150 seconds.
If you decide to save Thin Air for when you "need it", and you go 150 seconds or more without anyone dying, you've lost mana compared to just mindlessly spamming it.

OK, but if you're in a scenario where you can go up to 2.5 minutes without casting any MP-costing heals or rezzes, then you're not doing anything difficult enough for MP management to matter.

e: for a practical example, I use it at the 1:00 mark on E11S for my first Medica 2, which saves me 2500 total MP. If I popped it earlier than that I would probably also overcap on MP, making it worth less than the 1600 MP of four glares.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 13, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I feel like there should be a distinction between Savage and Casual healing too. MP management in casual content is so simple that I don't see a problem sitting on it for a bit because you never wind up missing it, and pressing the button is more effort than it's worth. But then in a single moment, that nightmare scenario can and will, happen, and you'll be glad you had it. It's not the most efficient thing in the world but it can save a run.

In savage, if it ever gets to that point, it's probably unrecoverable anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
12S's final heal check is intensive enough that you intentionally save thin air for cure 3 spam but that's a pretty specific case

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah basically it's like any other defensive cooldown - you want to use it often when you can get the most use out of it, but using it on cooldown all the time is a really bad idea.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You don't get bonus damage for having higher MP so it's really not a big deal if you technically could have squeezed two extra Thin Airs out of a fight by using it on cooldown. You won't be running out of MP by just Glares as long as you are using Lucid and Assize on cooldown so you might as well save Thin Air for Raises and the times where you actually need to use more than Afflatus skills plus OGCDs to heal.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
WHM is EZ mode. The other healers are much more intensive.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Thin Air's real use is so you can use Lost Font of Magic and Seraph Strike at the same time as a healer.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Let's talk about the very real scenario of having to Thin Air and Presence of Mind in order to double slow-rez all the idiot pubbies who just WON'T. STOP. DYING.

Bonus points for having to throw in a third Swiftcast-Raise right at the end.

(Why yes I have been doing a lot of CLL lately)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i use thin air for holy spam, probably don't strictly need it but might as well

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

Let's talk about the very real scenario of having to Thin Air and Presence of Mind in order to double slow-rez all the idiot pubbies who just WON'T. STOP. DYING.

Bonus points for having to throw in a third Swiftcast-Raise right at the end.

(Why yes I have been doing a lot of CLL lately)

get a stockpile of resistance phoenix down lost actions for CLL and use those, instant use and can be used mid-battle.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

i use thin air for holy spam, probably don't strictly need it but might as well

It lets you remember the old holy

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, I did it. I completed every single normal sidequest in the game (as in the ones meant for helping level along the MSQ). My maps are clean of icons now.

...why did I do that the exp was bad and now i'm filled with gear coffers that i can't open cause i'm full of gear :negative:

(I do reccomend doing the Firmament sidequests despite not having much rewards, they hall have cutscenes for the most part and you get a lot of HW cameos).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Any sidequest with a cutscene is generally worth paying attention to, if campy fantasy stories are your thing

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol the WAR 60 quest is basically Manderville adjacent.
I also had a 5 minute Haukke NM roulette run because I got teamed up with bots so that was an interesting experience. Teleporting straight to bosses and keys, hovering above bosses to stay out of AOE and auto attacks. I don't know if it was my involvement or a weakness in the bots but both DPS died to Amandine. adds, and lantern damage. I barely squeaked out a win on it. I don't even know how I would submit my screenshots for reporting purposes or if it would even be worth my time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One thing I don't understand in this game is what combat bots do as their end goal.

In WoW or other mmos, there's a huge wealth to be obtained just by 24/7 farming on world mobs for drops and money. Or dungeons for that matter.

But in XIV gil drops are basically nil, mob drops can easily be covered by retainers, and there aren't rare drops to be sold. Gathering bots make total sense - base materials, aethersands, and all the rest of that. I just don't see what combat bots can be accomplishing at high levels.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One thing I don't understand in this game is what combat bots do as their end goal.

In WoW or other mmos, there's a huge wealth to be obtained just by 24/7 farming on world mobs for drops and money. Or dungeons for that matter.

But in XIV gil drops are basically nil, mob drops can easily be covered by retainers, and there aren't rare drops to be sold. Gathering bots make total sense - base materials, aethersands, and all the rest of that. I just don't see what combat bots can be accomplishing at high levels.

there's some enemy drops you can sell for a lot in bulk depending on the market i guess. usually the best timing for that was when a firmament phase started.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the idea is that they just keep running a whole lot of bots and then pool the gil together for RMT schemes. Collectively scrounging millions.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also I imagine the bots collect a large number of dungeon minions, which can sell pretty well if the dungeon is new.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

I think the idea is that they just keep running a whole lot of bots and then pool the gil together for RMT schemes. Collectively scrounging millions.

Yeah, I think this is their game plan. You can't make a lot of money with botting, but you can make a bit of money a whole lot, so they just play that numbers game.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Which is why I'm loathe to even attempt to report it. Those three bots are just part of a fleet of thousands and are meant to be burned off and replaced as part of SE bot sweeps. There's also the school of thought that bots, kept in check, are a vital part of the game economy and push prices down to where new people can afford things. So gently caress it, shine on you AI diamonds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should put A/S rank hunts around bot hunting grounds

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I remember when Square put goblin patrols on the coastlines in FFXI to prevent fish botting. In game measures like that do very little to keep bots at bay, they'll always find a way to thwart it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Don't really see them out in the world either, aside from when they're levelling. Whatever they're doing is done in dungeons.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont see them in the overworld because they teleport in the ground and poo poo

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Don't really see them out in the world either, aside from when they're levelling. Whatever they're doing is done in dungeons.

And from what I've heard when they0re in the world they also abuse of out of bounds if they can, not much you can do when there's 50 THM bots attacking from underground.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The only conceivable use I would use a bot for would be leveling my trusts but I don't really care about trusts so it's not worth risking a ban

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can see them turning stuff in now and then, or transitioning between zones when they can't teleport. You can see them en masse turning stuff in now and then, and killing specific quest mobs (just blowing up from out of nowhere).

I've never seen bots out in the world farming otherwise. They'd either be in groups too small to notice, or you'd be running into zone instancing. And they're in such a large number that they'd basically have world zone mobs permanently dead.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

it's amdapor keep specifically, if you psearch there they all pop up

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've seen packs of low-level bots leveling in the wild, they sometimes path above-ground on their loops. You can temporarily break them if you kill the mobs they're programmed for before they manage it (they'll still move on eventually). But you generally have to go a little out of your way for their hunting grounds, so it's more noticeable if you're trying to kill specific mobs (like for an old hunting log or something).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still early game so I've seen bot swarms a couple times. It was interesting seeing seven mages hovering ten meters off the ground all named "asdasdasd asdfgasd"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Obviously they should just mobs in the sky and underground in every zone and dungeon that patrol around super fast, have a massive aggro radius, and instantly kill anything they aggro beneath outside or above the acceptable xyz coordinates that non-teleporting players would be at

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

back when I was still using that SSGI shader.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally managed to find an open plot out in Shirogane the other day and relocate my house from the Goblet there. Was wandering around the neighborhood today when I discovered there's a jumping puzzle in Shirogane.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/zucchini_loaf/status/1370613025443487745

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've never seen bots out in the world farming otherwise. They'd either be in groups too small to notice, or you'd be running into zone instancing. And they're in such a large number that they'd basically have world zone mobs permanently dead.

IIRC, they all exclusively farm (or farmed - might've changed with the inclusion of Heavensward) level 50 dungeons like Amdapor Keep, where they teleport between packs instantly and hide underneath the ground to avoid being attacked. It's true that the average dungeon run doesn't get you much gil outright, but do it in aggregate at speeds much faster than any human player can accomplish, and it starts to add up.