Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DelphiAegis posted:

See, I chalk this up to you being in Canada. When I had an hour+ commute via public transit in the states, it was basically the opposite experience because any public transit in :911: is for the poor and is soaked in human pee and misery.

In before times, I took the NYC subway every day. And for all its faults, frustrations, and smells, it loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

See, I chalk this up to you being in Canada. When I had an hour+ commute via public transit in the states, it was basically the opposite experience because any public transit in :911: is for the poor and is soaked in human pee and misery.

I dunno, maybe. I'm lucky to live in a city with excellent transit. Our trains rule. They're called the Skytrain as they're on elevated tracks with amazing views, and they run on linear induction motors so have a scifi sound with magnets and poo poo. They're also entirely automated and don't have drivers. Trains every 45-60 seconds in rush hour as a result.

I also have just accepted by now that I have a fundamental difference with most people in this thread haha. I hate remote work, I hate WFH, I would do anything to go back into the office and back to my commute but we're not allowed to do that. I will/would never take a remote position, ever.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 12, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I could ever do that. My ideal working environment is at 3 am with the lights off, no a/v, communicate purely in git issues or chat

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
gently caress wfh I’m excited to travel someday and I miss the office and lunches and drinks and water cooler chat and client meetings and idly bullshitting with the CEOs admin to try to get inside info

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, maybe. I'm lucky to live in a city with excellent transit. Our trains rule. They're called the Skytrain as they're on elevated tracks with amazing views, and they run on linear induction motors so have a scifi sound with magnets and poo poo. They're also entirely automated and don't have drivers. Trains every 45-60 seconds in rush hour as a result.

I also have just accepted by now that I have a fundamental difference with most people in this thread haha. I hate remote work, I hate WFH, I would do anything to go back into the office and back to my commute but we're not allowed to do that. I will/would never take a remote position, ever.

So, at the beginning on this, I loved the remote all the time. I also appreciate that this is not "remote working" this is "working from home because there is a god drat virus and I cannot go anywhere ever". I'm in the office once a week, but no one else is and I miss my peeps. I miss having my coworker director in another area right beside my office so we hear what is going on and can quickly make a decision about something. Not to mention the hall in front of the data center is trashed because no one will come and pick up our surplus.

Ill keep not having to go to a room with a bunch of people to have a conversation through. I'm ok with that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I enjoy good public transit, unfortunately outside of a couple super major areas of the country it just doesn't exist.

When Microsoft Ignite was in Atlanta one year, the only hotel we could find was all the way out in Decatur. It was right on the MARTA blue line though. 2 blocks from the hotel to the train station, and then maybe a 15 minute ride to the convention center. It was awesome. I never even drove my rental car that week because there was a ton of restaurants in walking distance around the hotel. I mean MARTA was an experience for sure, but I loved it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get it. I go a little stir crazy some time, where I just go to Home Depot or Walmart and just walk around for an hour just to get out of the house, but I've got the family, and a bunch of neighbors than meet my limited need for socialization. Being remote can sometimes also hurt career wise, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ptier posted:

So, at the beginning on this, I loved the remote all the time. I also appreciate that this is not "remote working" this is "working from home because there is a god drat virus and I cannot go anywhere ever". I'm in the office once a week, but no one else is and I miss my peeps. I miss having my coworker director in another area right beside my office so we hear what is going on and can quickly make a decision about something. Not to mention the hall in front of the data center is trashed because no one will come and pick up our surplus.

That's an extremely good point that I know I need to understand and remember. People keep telling me this: This is not a normal WFH situation. This is trying to keep safe and alive during a megavirus pandemic. This was unexpected, unwanted, urgent, and haphazard. Most of us have little to no normal social interaction, and are WFH in places that were not set up for it. We're all under an enormous amount of stress, pressure, burnout, worry, fear, etc. So absolutely I think that's poisoned my views of WFH.

I'm also a true extrovert in a thread/forum/industry of mostly introverts hahaha

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I don't think I could ever do that. My ideal working environment is at 3 am with the lights off, no a/v, communicate purely in git issues or chat

I know nobody ever does it maliciously but I am annoyed every time someone wants to "hop on a call" instead of having a 10 minute text conversation that we can both search through/refer to later.

For like 3 weeks or so I worked like this while doing some wan implementation with colo vendors in SEA and it was badass. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm an introvert in the literal sense, I love to go home and recharge. I spend a lot of time at home. But that's because this job is very social (especially higher ed+healthcare) and I miss my team, who own. I mean I'll miss them if I get this new gig and quit but that's different.

I just miss the continuity of work, but we're also supporting on-prem stuff too. And I miss some of my work friends, not everyone is horrible. It sounds like the "new gig" would be mostly on site - the company it's overly flexible as a rule but they're learning. My commute now is 1:30+ (in the before times, it's coming soon, I'm already 2x vaccinated, if work orders me in I have no reason to protest) so this would still be better. Plus it's closer to all of my university friends from a previous role, and there are way way better options to eat.

Also I'll be making double with a bonus, so that. I can buy new friends.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I love WFH, I started a new job in March 2020, went to the office for a week then was told to WFH until told otherwise, some of my team have been WFH forever so I guess this will just continue.

What I don't like is job ads claiming WFH until "covid is over" what does that even mean!! Is there going to be a mission accomplished moment where everyone decides to head back to the office?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Honey Im Homme posted:

I love WFH, I started a new job in March 2020, went to the office for a week then was told to WFH until told otherwise, some of my team have been WFH forever so I guess this will just continue.

What I don't like is job ads claiming WFH until "covid is over" what does that even mean!! Is there going to be a mission accomplished moment where everyone decides to head back to the office?

This and recs that are listed as "Remote" but then when you read it says "must be expected to live nearby" or "remote for now" only in the body :( Also the "this may continue forever" is so vague. If it definitely will even if you need local I dont care if its a bad location. If you could suddenly demand it in august on one dudes whim... I need to know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I started work from home in earnest July of 2019 because they closed all of our regional offices.

I had 9 months of getting myself situated, establishing new routines, actually getting to INCREASE my face time with friends since no commute meant I was ready earlier in the evening (no half hour commute, could start cooking dinner while I was still working so it would be ready at a more sane time.

So, before when it was leaving the office at 6pm, getting home by 6:30, cooking and eating dinner pushed things to 7:30 and was nearly 8 by the time everything was cleaned up.

Now I start cooking at 5-5:30, eat promptly at 6 and am all wrapped up and free in the evening before 6:30. That extra 90 minutes made all the difference in the world for "want to grab a beer?" or "come hang out on the deck before we put the kids to bed." I was no longer the last one to arrive to gatherings on Friday. I also had more options for exercise instruction as well since I was home and fed long before classes would start which was a pipe dream before.

Then the pandemic hit and blew most of that to poo poo. I go multiple days at a time without ever going outside my home. I had a span of 3 months where the only interaction with friends was online games since it was too cold to get together outside. No more grabbing coffee with local coworkers every so often. There's a guy I've worked with across two companies over 17 years that lives 10 minutes away that I haven't seen in over a year. It's every bit as isolating to someone who was already WFH as someone that was thrust into it.

There are still perks though. I will forever love the ability to take my lunch to do household chores and get them out of the way. I can cut my lawn in 40 minutes and I have 5 perfectly good days to choose from during the week to do that, preserving the weekend for me. I can toss in laundry in-between meetings or take out the trash or clean up the coffee pot. All of that stuff adds up and I have more time for me than I ever have before.

I won't say that I would ever turn down a job if it wasn't 100% remote, but at this point I would expect 40-60% WFH option as a minimum. I would be perfectly happy with 1-2 days a week or like 1 week a month in the office, just not every day. This was my second winter hearing the traffic report about everything being a mess due to snow and I leisurely get up, get my coffee, and watch the snowfall from my window.

As it stood, I was on a cadence of spending a week at corporate once a quarter and that was good. It gave me real facetime with my team and a change in scenery for awhile. Sucks that I got to do that like 2 times and then the pandemic hit.

Things are looking up though. I received my 2nd Moderna vaccine dose two weeks ago today, so I'm now classified as fully vaccinated.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 12, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I miss the smell of burnt rear end Folgers coffee wafting from the break room

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
We have a very small facility and a student who is allergic to dairy, like extremely allergic. So the entire facility is dairy free. They only buy oat milk poo poo for the coffee now.

Forgot about that, another reason to hope I am quitting within a week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i am a moron posted:

I miss the smell of burnt rear end Folgers coffee wafting from the break room

My office had 2500 people in it. I miss the lineups for coffee where I'd chat with people, I miss the sandwich bar, I miss the big open atrium area we had with tables and chairs at the bottom. Sigh. I just miss people, so much. I used to go to concerts all the time (87 in 2019) and I miss the crowds.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My office had 2500 people in it. I miss the lineups for coffee where I'd chat with people, I miss the sandwich bar, I miss the big open atrium area we had with tables and chairs at the bottom. Sigh. I just miss people, so much. I used to go to concerts all the time (87 in 2019) and I miss the crowds.

Sandwich bar? go on.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

One my previous clients campuses had over a dozen types of fresh infused water. Lunch was free. Options included American, Asian, Indian, etc. with real good cooks. Medium Rare if requested.

And everything was free.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

One my previous clients campuses had over a dozen types of fresh infused water. Lunch was free. Options included American, Asian, Indian, etc. with real good cooks. Medium Rare if requested.

And everything was free.

My job in nyc was that and my commute was 30 minutes on the subway. I didn’t mind that but having to drive 30 minutes and just sitting on a train are 2 different things. A bus from my house to rackspace in San Antonio would be over an hour while the drive was roughly 15 minutes.

I hate driving. I truly do. I’m going back to England as soon as I get this god drat vaccine.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sup SkyTrain riding buddy. It’s great except when it breaks and then it’s the worst. It’s the same for me to commute via car or transit and work pays for my Compass card so it’s a no brainer for me

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Number19 posted:

Sup SkyTrain riding buddy. It’s great except when it breaks and then it’s the worst. It’s the same for me to commute via car or transit and work pays for my Compass card so it’s a no brainer for me

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’ve gotten a wild hair up my rear end about VyOS and am now thinking about how I could replace my 1g copper PowerConnect 6248P, my 10gig Force10 fiber switch and my firewall with a single device.

I have the quad-port 1g nics and the dual-port fiber HBAs already so all I’d need is a cpu/ram/motherboard combo with enough PCIe 4x slots to hold all the NICs.

Looking up the throughput of PCIe, I'd need something like 4 PCIe 8x slots and 4 1x slots. Do they even make a 8-slot PCIe motherboard?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 13, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat dude, 87 concerts in one year? I feel like you're living my life for me. Let me know how it's going.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

In work related news I got a PM removed from one of my projects for being a psycho, and now I’m in the PM. One fingers on the monkeys paw curls

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

drat dude, 87 concerts in one year? I feel like you're living my life for me. Let me know how it's going.

He only goes to them because the canucks suck so he doesn’t have to be disappointed by his hockey team.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus Vancouver is beautiful. That's one hell of a morning commute.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This picture features the one day out of the year where it’s not raining

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If I see another post saying Vancouver is great I’m just gonna post dic picks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
anyone here use a 3rd toy poodle, freebsd or openbsd?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Honey Im Homme posted:

My guess has been that bosses like that don't want written-in-ink policy on permanent WFH because they want the peons back under their observation again one day, but at the same time they know they can't make it happen. Making it indefinitely-temporary means the peons can be recalled back into their cubicles the first chance it's possible.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

jaegerx posted:

He only goes to them because the canucks suck so he doesn’t have to be disappointed by his hockey team.

Jesus christ dude national tensions are already high enough. You don't have to go firing shots over the border like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

I’ve gotten a wild hair up my rear end about VyOS and am now thinking about how I could replace my 1g copper PowerConnect 6248P, my 10gig Force10 fiber switch and my firewall with a single device.

I have the quad-port 1g nics and the dual-port fiber HBAs already so all I’d need is a cpu/ram/motherboard combo with enough PCIe 4x slots to hold all the NICs.

Looking up the throughput of PCIe, I'd need something like 4 PCIe 8x slots and 4 1x slots. Do they even make a 8-slot PCIe motherboard?

TNSR has a new(ish) home lab license if you wanted other options

https://www.tnsr.com/subscriptions

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess has been that bosses like that don't want written-in-ink policy on permanent WFH because they want the peons back under their observation again one day, but at the same time they know they can't make it happen. Making it indefinitely-temporary means the peons can be recalled back into their cubicles the first chance it's possible.

but like i know its "uncertain times" but how the hell can i take a job not knowing if someday in the future my costs will skyrocket due to a commute, you know?

every employee deserves to know the conditions they'll be working in (more or less, every IT job I've ever had has of course changed in scope) before accepting the job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I've been really looking forward to going back to the office, but at this point I'm pretty sure that by the time everyone is vaccinated, half of my coworkers will have moved out of state to somewhere with a cheaper cost of living anyway.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Vulture Culture posted:

I've been really looking forward to going back to the office, but at this point I'm pretty sure that by the time everyone is vaccinated, half of my coworkers will have moved out of state to somewhere with a cheaper cost of living anyway.

My company is cool with ICs staying full remote, or mostly remote for people who were previously worked in the NYC building. There's all kind of dumb tax implications in NY for how you're classified. BUT they're insisting PMs have to come back to the building to "lead meetings". Which are all gonna be on zoom so who gives a gently caress?

I got hired during the first week of lockdown so the only time they hauled me to the city was for the interview and I've never been back since. Which is a bummer, honestly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My group had already moved to work-from-home about a year or so prior to the pandemic, but we did use the local office location once a month for face-to-face team status meetings (and then go to lunch as a group). For the other weeks we'd just do a zoom/webex/teams meeting. We have people on the team in a different state, so they were remote for even those meetings.

We really didn't have a problem pivoting to the new normal. The biggest impact is getting our equipment serviced for issues that can't be resolved over the phone/VPN. We now get a shipping box + label sent to use as opposed to driving 30 minutes to drop it off (personally, I'd insist on the shipping option these days since I'm in the "very high" risk group for Covid).

I think we adapted fine because when we did it initially it was planned and also we're a pretty small group within the company. I might have an opportunity to do a move to an even smaller internal group that's even more spread out across the country, so it will be WFH for the foreseeable future for me. And I'm OK with that since I'm a weird hermit.

It also helps that I live in an area where I can delivery to my door-step from almost any store I want for very little markup (+20% tip for delivery person). I also got lucky and managed to score a Concept 2 Model D Row-erg so my preferred cardio workout is a 20 second walk down the hall. The only things I really miss is the lap pool at the gym and shooting the poo poo with the regulars at the local dive bar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't necessarily wanna use the P-word because it's only like week 4 at my new job but it's absolutely wonderful to work somewhere with a good tech foundation where the expectation is that I can/will resolve issues via stuff like SSH and PSSessions instead of RDP/Zoom calls.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Welp I didn’t get to move on to the next interview round but I also applied to like 5 other SRE positions.

Went back and tailored my listed skill set to stuff that’s a bit more applicable and finally put Python on resume since I feel comfortable enough with it and I have a few little projects in my public GitHub.

I really want to get out of my generalist position this year. My manager has been really resistant to automating little things because of the potential for ‘issues’ when no one is around and a vendor hosed up a firewall change without telling anyone so now everyone making firewall changes must be on site, even after hours regardless of what it is. So I guess I’m just not making changes myself anymore.

Every time we have an issue or service interruption, instead of reflecting on what went wrong and fixing it their first instinct is to change whatever process it was to a completely manual one, which is loving insane. It’s been nonstop regression.

They had us remove our WSUS schedule from our prod servers that has been in place for YEARS and now a Jr has to ask like 4 department heads if it is okay to install updates at a certain point during the month. I tried to show him the powershell windows update module but he is (no poo poo) logging into each server and clicking install updates over and over.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
It's Monday at 9:30am and I'm already being asked if we can completely remove datadog by the end of March to avoid renewal and move it to ELK/Prometheus, which by the way, hasn't been deployed yet. The original plan was to extend DD by a year to have enough time to deploy the new monitoring solution.

Gonna be one of those weeks

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Have you tried saying no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sepist posted:

It's Monday at 9:30am and I'm already being asked if we can completely remove datadog by the end of March to avoid renewal and move it to ELK/Prometheus, which by the way, hasn't been deployed yet. The original plan was to extend DD by a year to have enough time to deploy the new monitoring solution.

Gonna be one of those weeks

Oh hey this is me but we're moving from NewRelic to Datadog, our contract is up in 2 weeks, and we have yet to remove APM from any of our services. Most are in DD already but we're cutting it close af.

My current bugbear is this shitshow of a mobile app we have, which is unfortunate since mobile first is how most of the world uses technology and datadog's mobile crash analytics are garbo tier.

moving crash analytics to firebase but we've got some issue with our code killing crash reports in crashlytics and the lead android dev is a nice enough guy but a pretty terrible writer, which is bad news bears when I'm relying on him to write up the GCP ticket.