Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The unannounced game is Magna Mundi. The Barça studio is so ubik doesn’t have to travel far.

What need have we of Magna Mundi now that Meiou & Taxes 3.0 is in sight?! :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I still lol at the fact that they literally just rammed the name of two mods together presumably because neither one of them would compromise.

I guess it makes sense since they never bother to compromise on gameplay concepts just because they don't even vaguely fit into EU4 engine-wise.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
You say "don't fit", I say "a button that lets you read important province info through event chains throwing ASCII-tables at you is a solid game design".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

You say "don't fit", I say "a button that lets you read important province info through event chains throwing ASCII-tables at you is a solid game design".
Next step: Detailed tactical ASCII battles to replace the base mechanics.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not going to lie, once I'd managed to claw my way through the presentation, I found M&T's mechanics to be :discourse: as all hell.

I'm that guy now. I have won the victory over myself.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm not going to lie, once I'd managed to claw my way through the presentation, I found M&T's mechanics to be :discourse: as all hell.

I'm that guy now. I have won the victory over myself.

Yeah, M&T is fantastic. The way the new mechanics are crowbarred into the game isn't great, but the increase of actual relevant depth is wonderful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the mechanical changes M&T does are really really good. But it is tragic that none of it can be modded into the UI properly, that is easily it's greatest weakness.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I don’t think the mechanics in M&T are anywhere near a completed state, but those mechanics are deeply and fundamentally the game I want to play. EU4 really feels hollow without it now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The problem with crude hard to read UI is that you need dozens of hours to realize if you like a complex strategy game like EU4 even if it has a perfect UI. M&T makes it very hard to comprehend basic mechanics, you never know if somewhere in a submenu there's some important feature. Can AI use any of those mechanics? Will I ever have an opportunity to use my understanding of those complex mechanics to have an interesting game, or will I realize that once I press all the right buttons the game can't stop me? I'll need a couple of full work weeks to know for sure. Let it remain a mystery.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This is why it’s so important for Paradox to enhance modability of its UI. No one likes M&T’s UI, least of all the M&T team

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

CK3 was a tech demo for Sengoku 2.

You joke but I'd love another Sengoku that had actual gameplay.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd take that (or a 3K game or something) any day over fever dreams about expanding the CK map. CK still fails to do both french and russian feudalism as anything unique, please don't tack on China and Japan.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd take that (or a 3K game or something) any day over fever dreams about expanding the CK map. CK still fails to do both french and russian feudalism as anything unique, please don't tack on China and Japan.

there is not a single area on the map for ck3 that has meaningful flavor beyond whether or not you can raid or use rivers (and bohemia getting seniority succession earlier than anyone else). the game is incredibly barebones.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You might have a very special definition of flavor. I have not started many games, but every start had something interesting. Bohemia in 1066 has seniority succession, a unique gold mine, a possibility to create a kingdom without any expansion, special heavy infantry. Early Slavic starts are similar to each other, but their religion makes feasts extremely important as well as makes them much easier to convert/proselytize Slavic lands. Vikings starting in England get a starting army and can get a lot of piety from warring on Christians and making ritual sacrifices, they have no land with their own religion and the conversion is slow but once they convert people get tired of peace the same way other people get tired of war. I don't get this talk about CK3 having less flavor.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

now that Meiou & Taxes 3.0 is in sight?! :vince:

I am enjoying this post from 2018.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

What need have we of Magna Mundi now that Meiou & Taxes 3.0 is in sight?! :vince:

You have a very long sight if 3.0 is in it. Reading between the lines of the dev diaries and from what I've heard from a friend in the alpha, it has a long way to go.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It'll be this year

I have faith

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I just realized Vicky has been delayed due to Paradox having gotten cold feet over their implementation of epidemics, in light of the last year.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized Vicky has been delayed due to Paradox having gotten cold feet over their implementation of epidemics, in light of the last year.

There's absolutely no way this is true.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They'd lean in to it if anything.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Only sheeple think it's a coincidence CK3 gets winters while Texas freezes over.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beamed posted:

There's absolutely no way this is true.
Everything is true when it comes to V3.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are there any recommended mods for Vicky 2 these days?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there any recommended mods for Vicky 2 these days?

Personally I find that Vicky 2 runs really slowly to begin with and the big mods that people like make it intolerably slow. I usually use the Minimalism Mod (you'll need to be logged in to the paradox forums), which makes some changes but doesn't expand the map or slow down the game a lot. If there's a specific nation/formable you want to play that isn't in the game then I would try NNM or uhh, HPM I think is the current big mod people are using.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

if you're looking for althist, both Heirs to Aquitania and Divergences of Darkness are good picks, with the latter being more developed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
default vicky2 is fine imo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
A new game from PDS will be announced at the digital PDXCon, which is happening May 21-23.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

watch it be eu5 right after i get caught up on the DLC for eu4

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Comedy option - Stellaris 2 - but this time with double the mana.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sengoku 2

Diplomacy 2

Svea Rike IV

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Victoria 3 :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

East vs. West 2.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There aren't any good cold war games from like the past two decades have there?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DEFCON aesthetically I guess?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the wargame series but thats RTS rather than grand strategy

tho red dragon did have a grand strategy mini-game

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
CK4.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There aren't any good cold war games from like the past two decades have there?

Grand Strategy wise? Not really, maybe something in the wargame space

Just games yeah Wargame Airland Battle and it's sequel are good, the Tropico games are fun but piss easy. Black Ops was the last good Call of Duty. A lot of people thought Phantom Doctrine was good, personally I fell off it quick. There's a cheap Political Sim calle China:Mao's Legacy that I've been looking at, only seven bucks. There's also the PC port of Crisis in the Kremlin

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sunset Invasion: The Game

feller
Jul 5, 2006

rome 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EU II remaster