Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it does release in the 16 and it hasn’t had a DD so yeah it’s pretty minor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like some new retinue types in those screenshots.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it does release in the 16 and it hasn’t had a DD so yeah it’s pretty minor

Eh there’s a couple DDs worth of stuff in that preview video. They just seem really committed to this new announce-later strategy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

More felt hats and braided beards for everyone!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

PizzaProwler posted:

Yeah, there's no way that's the focus of the first content packs as the Norse already have bookmarked starts (in both start dates) and seem solidly fleshed out compared to other areas on the map. Gotta be a fake. P good troll though.

Well, alright. I'll be feasting on crow tonight :)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly as soon as I saw the leak I thought it was likely, considering the addition of winter in the base game.

I’ve never played Vikings because the one time I spent time in Africa showed I’m not into the tribe thunderdome because I’m not into conflict in this game. But maybe I’ll give it a shot. :shrug:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I can't say I'm terribly excited about a Vikings-focused DLC, but I guess since I have the royal edition I'm getting it anyway. Hopefully the mechanics are interesting, and perhaps can even serve as a baseline for some new modded features.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I will probably do at least one game where I attempt some absurdly long migration. Wanna try for the southern tip of India.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AnEdgelord posted:

I will probably do at least one game where I attempt some absurdly long migration. Wanna try for the southern tip of India.

I wonder what would be the best path for that, to get past the middle eastern blobs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vikings are cool. I'm glad they're bringing back the blot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh god my current king character is going to die of obesity because of how many loving feasts my vassals keep throwing. i swear this dude spends 75% of the year partying

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Popoto posted:

I wonder what would be the best path for that, to get past the middle eastern blobs.

I can get to the Mediterranean pretty easily in the game currently, I think I just need to get to the red sea and from there sail to india. I am a little rusty on my naval mechanics though so im sure Im forgetting something but aside from that Im pretty sure diplomatic range fucks me over as well.

Ill need to sit down and figure it once the dlc drops, especially because by then Ill know more details about how the migration system actually works.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I can get to the Mediterranean pretty easily in the game currently, I think I just need to get to the red sea and from there sail to india. I am a little rusty on my naval mechanics though so im sure Im forgetting something but aside from that Im pretty sure diplomatic range fucks me over as well.

Ill need to sit down and figure it once the dlc drops, especially because by then Ill know more details about how the migration system actually works.

Conquering Egypt just so we can drag our longships across the Suez Isthmus in peace. "Excuse us, sorry, just passing through, we'll be gone in a moment and you can get back to your holy wars or whatever!"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Magil Zeal posted:

I can't say I'm terribly excited about a Vikings-focused DLC, but I guess since I have the royal edition I'm getting it anyway. Hopefully the mechanics are interesting, and perhaps can even serve as a baseline for some new modded features.

Yeah, both of these. Here, in particular, I'm happy that they're bringing back landless adventurers even in a limited way (perhaps especially in a limited way, they could be kinda OP in 2) and I look forward to seeing how modders decide to expand it to other cultures (mostly I just like the idea of the spare kids I can't even be arsed to marry off deciding to go off and do something with their lives instead of sitting around my court, and any new option for them is a win for me)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Weird dates aside I wonder if this is representative. That'd be a lot of new innovations if so.

Edit: also I guess those dates could mean they're changing it so there aren't fixed eras. That's presumably how it'd look if you started in 867 and dev'd yourself all innovations.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

Weird dates aside I wonder if this is representative. That'd be a lot of new innovations if so.

Might be part of the reason they are changing the feudalisation requirements to only require a certain percentage of tribal innovations instead of all of them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm slightly disappointed in them featuring the Norse as the first flavor pack but I am excited for adventuring and the potential for cultural bloodline stuff.

Though I'm curious, what happens if a member of that norse family beomes not-norse?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I haven't really played a real Northern European game yet, so this flavor pack is actually interesting and exciting to me. Fun!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm looking forward to it. Playing any of the Scandinavian rulers in CK3 feels so bland compared to playing them in CK2 with the Old Gods DLC, like it could have been any number of tribal nations somewhere in the world.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would prefer they find new and interesting stuff to add rather than rehashing stuff that was popular in CK2.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean there's always going to be a sense of rehashing, it's a period that existed and had specific things that happened, there are only going to be so many ways to depict it in a mapgame.

But Paradox have always said that the CK2 stuff they removed from CK3 was because they didn't like the CK2 implementation and wanted at best to take another crack at it (or at worst to just get rid of it entirely) so I think there's room to see if they can redo popular stuff from CK2 in a new and interesting way.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

IMO a Fomenko Chronology DLC with the only start points being Aeneas founding Moscow in 1380 or Jesus Christ being born near Kiev in the 1180's would be wild

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Omnicarus posted:

IMO a Fomenko Chronology DLC with the only start points being Aeneas founding Moscow in 1380 or Jesus Christ being born near Kiev in the 1180's would be wild

I challenge you to mod it. At last we could play real historical strategy instead of fantasy. I also allow you to make Russians not a nation of gods so that there's balance in the game.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Except for adventurer realms, this flavor pack is rather meh, not really interested in playing Norse and if migration will be locked to Norse... eh.

AnEdgelord posted:

I went from southern tip of India to Canary Islands first conquering Socotra → Sinai → Cyprus → Malta → Canary Islands, so the Egypt is not easily bypassed. Going from Norse location to Mediterranean would probably require taking Brittany or some other intermediate step within the diplomatic range.

Or... maybe it might be quicker going through Eastern Europe (Crimea maybe?) and then Sinai/Egypt

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 14, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There are definitely a few mechanics that I'll be much happier to see used elsewhere. Unique bloodline traits for instance. I'll probably do a viking game just to play through some of these events, and honestly adventuring does sound like a lot of fun. I'd just be a lot more excited about this level of love given to nearly any other area, since viking-focused stuff happens in, oh I dunno, every game ever since the dawn of time.

Also on a marginally related note, if you haven't, read The Alexiad it will get you all sorts of hyped for a Byzantine play-through and then sad that this patch wasn't all about the Romans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone give me Paradox's address and I'll ship 'em copies of the alexiad and streams of gold, rivers of blood, until they give us the Byz expansion we deserve

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So is adventurerimg gonna be viking only or are they gonna expand it to non vikings?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

So is adventurerimg gonna be viking only or are they gonna expand it to non vikings?

Depends on how many $9.99 you're willing to spend

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I hope I can continue being a Viking in Russia without all my vassals converting everything to Asatru/Norse (also Russian tech being non-garbage)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

On one hand I'm happy because proper pagan Scandinavia was a goal of mine and I will have more stauff to play with, on other hand I will probably want to start over and abandon my current Haraldr>Norway>Scandinavia game which is pretty interesting religion wise. Some fairly stable Asartu lords clang to life in UK, Slavic pagans have taken over central Europe and West Europe Christians are Cathars for some reason.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BTW is there any upside to becoming Norwegian culture if you are already Norse cultural head? From what I can tell you just split off from the norse and thats it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just realized that the extra work on procedurally generated poetry might have been a hint that there was some big Norse stuff coming down the pipe.

You can't do vikings without flyting.

I hope that poetry battles upset weirdo racists.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I'm actually pumped for this flavor pack bc I have been putting off a norse run. I really like the content creators for ck3, I have a lot optimism about future added content.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh wow this is coming tomorrow? Time to make a manual mod backup for backwards compatibility I suppose. Don't expect save games to be compatible through this particular patch.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

lurksion posted:

Oh wow this is coming tomorrow?

yeah I like this new thing where you get a few days to get hype and then it's out already

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo, tomorrow? Well, time to abandon India and move to the frozen North. Sorry, cheevo run.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Norse were the most fun in CK2 and I have high hopes for them in CK3

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

fuf posted:

yeah I like this new thing where you get a few days to get hype and then it's out already

on the other end, Stellaris expansion doesn't come out for a whole month (which means it probably won't be playable for two once you factor in bugfixes and mod compatibility)

:negative:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just realized that the extra work on procedurally generated poetry might have been a hint that there was some big Norse stuff coming down the pipe.

You can't do vikings without flyting.

I hope that poetry battles upset weirdo racists.

i think we're just gonna see an influx of terrible racist poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Stairmaster posted:

i think we're just gonna see an influx of terrible racist poetry

What’s this referring to? I honestly have no context for why racists wouldn’t like Vikings being into poetry/battle rap.