Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Are you keeping them as sash? You can get some nice double glazed sash windows now.

Yeah we don't get a choice, and they better be nice for 12 loving grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

stev posted:

Wish I'd known this before my last move! Cardboard boxes are the devil's spawn and we were constantly terrified the bottom was going to come out of them even if they were only half full.

You have to choose your cardboard box. Supermarket cardboard boxes are no good.

I got friendly with a bloke in supplies in my hospital- expensive fragile goods get moved in good boxes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

I do wonder how well his chosen response actually works in that you engage with them with curiosity and get them to justify it. Sure that'll annoy trolls, but most of the people round here (S. Yorkshire) who pick up the BS right wing talking points aren't that.

They still have a genuine malaise at the core of it that things aren't as good as they used to be. They're worse off financially and are being told all the things they like, from red meat to media they used to enjoy, are bad.

Then they usually go on a rant about Corbyn being a nut because of his brother and how mental illness is caused by spirits attaching themselves to people, but not in the case of their daughter who has a rare form of epilepsy, no thats a medical thing, but those Romanians that are always trying to steal my tools, they're scroungers.

It's like... A never ending barrage of switching talking points all entirely made up from bullshit that has no bearing in reality and as soon as you get them to agree that maybe one thing isn't quite right they pull out another one to justify why we shouldn't help the poor or disabled or anyone.

Yeah that only works if they somehow 1. know the actual truth and 2. wouldn't lie anyway.

People like that will just make stuff up to support their argument.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1370846515032375300?s=20

fortunate that the vigil was unsafe, otherwise the police would look like total loving psychopaths

I've been conditioned by newspaper headlines to interpret this as meaning Sarah Everard is saying the vigil was unsafe

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well she's probably a good authority on the danger of police.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Tesseraction posted:

Well she's probably a good authority on the danger of police.

Do we think the Met didn’t realise how bad the optics of this would be due to incompetence, or don’t care about their optics because, well, it’s the Met.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Is it incompetence, or are they out to remind us who's boss?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Aramoro posted:

We have nothing but single glazed sash windows but luckily being thoroughly middle class the Scottish Government is giving us a massive loan to pay for us to have them all made into double glazing.

I'm in England, but I ought to find out if I can get something to do mine. I have 6 2mx90cm (i think - they're loving massive) single glazed sash windows in wooden frames.

ETA: Apparently yes, windows are secondary work, and you need primary work done too to get the grant for the windows, and the scheme closes (I presume at the end of March.)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 13, 2021

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

willie_dee posted:

don’t care about their optics because, well, it’s the Met.

It isn't just the police, every right-wing organization has realised that you can just flat ignore "bad looking" actives and no one will hold a fire to your feet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Yeah we don't get a choice, and they better be nice for 12 loving grand.

I was hoping to get the back done with sash windows for like maybe a tenth of that.

Wachter posted:

Is it incompetence, or are they out to remind us who's boss?
Yes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IllusionistTrixie posted:

It isn't just the police, every right-wing organization has realised that you can just flat ignore "bad looking" actives and no one will hold a fire to your feet.

yeah i think we've got a sorta power crisis of some kind going down so now the media, royals, cops, politicians etc are all trying to assert themselves and see what they can and cant get away with and to whommmm

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I often think of the 'We live in a cop regime' line from Disco Elysium.

It just perfectly nails the feeling of living through stuff like this in a way that, even while being very aware of police brutality and misconduct and stuff like 'we're the biggest gang' beforehand, I hadn't quite conceptualised before seeing those words put together.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Some people who weren't white men did something the police told then not to do as far as they are concerned that is carte blanche to crack some skulls.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They might have been going for a "we're the biggest gang" thing but that doesn't play well against middle-class white women, even the Mail is screaming about this.

Who can fire Cressida Dick? Can Sadiq or would it have to be Priti Patel? I'll be surprised if she makes it past Wednesday.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Looks like we have the official line from the poo poo party;

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1370850554176487428

https://twitter.com/NickTorfaen/status/1370847606742642688

We've all learned an important lesson about how the police shouldn't be assaulting women, I personally wasn't sure but hopefully we can learn this lesson for the future maybe, anyway lets check what these fuckers had to say last week while they were eagerly voting to enable precisely this poo poo;

Nick Thomas-Symonds MP, Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary posted:

“The measures in this Bill will be cold comfort to officers who are have been offered a pay freeze in response for their remarkable bravery in this pandemic. While Labour has been calling for a number of these changes, they will not go far enough to tackle violence against officers, which saw attacks on officers rise 50 per cent over the past five years.”

so brave

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm absolutely shaking with rage tonight. My partner went (I couldn't due to geography so went to a local vigil which, while fine, still had police hassling you to leave as soon as you'd lain flowers or whatever - like gently caress off, paying respects and remembering isn't just laying some flowers) and got pretty roughed up and I've not been this angry in a long time. How dare they? One of their own KILLED A WOMAN BECAUSE THEY COVERED UP HIS PREVIOUS SEXUAL ASSAULT and they react by kicking gently caress out of women trying to grieve???? I'm not surprised, I've seen the met take a peaceful protest and turn it into a loving brawl plenty of times, but this is just a step beyond. This wasn't activists, this was people who may never have even been at anything like this before, people who just wanted to pay their respects, subjected to police violence totally unprepared. I can't imagine how traumatic that is for a woman who isn't expecting it and has never felt threatened by the police before. I'm just so angry for them all. gently caress this country and gently caress the Met. Utterly depraved, evil thugs. They had the loving TSG turn up. The TSG are the territorial support group, a famously violent squad of riot cops. I've been in a copshop when they all left before and saw their insignia, which they hide very well apart from the t-shirts they wear under their armour - I'm not kidding, it's a skull with crossed batons behind it. loving animals.

Solidarity to all women and all people affected by gender-based violence, and all people affected by police violence.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

learnincurve posted:

Violently shoving a tiny lady who is trying to pick up her glasses because why?

Because those officers felt scared in the moment and they could. It looks a lot like Police are a protected class right now, they don't even make a pretence at community policing and a woman is dead because apparently being Police is so loving special that basic morality or even basic law doesn''t apply.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

There’s a guy I went to school with who is a raving Tory, in the army, full on right-wing propaganda spouting guy. Even he is tweeting that the Met have hosed this up and something needs to happen.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I was hoping to get the back done with sash windows for like maybe a tenth of that.

Being bleeding heart liberals were getting our existing sash windows refurbished as it reuses the cases but it does restrict who can do it. Getting 7 windows, a door that's been made into a window and our front door replaced. Luckily we're getting an interest free loan from.the Scottish government to pay for half of it.

Hoping the 16mm double glazing units will really help our heat efficiency.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Even Lawrence Fox is against the police lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that lammy has accurately suggested that he doesn't like the imagery, not that he objects to it happening.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

'lessons must be learned' is absolutely the single most useless platitude in the world

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kecske posted:

'lessons must be learned' is absolutely the single most useless platitude in the world

it means same outcome but it looks better

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
me- i dont think its right to get angry about this without thinking about it and the police aren't a gang and have a job to do and we should all be sensible.

The police - go completely crazy over the top and act exactly like a gang and etc

me- ahh

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

kecske posted:

I'll see your lessons must be learned and I'll raise you thoughts and prayers

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kecske posted:

'Lessons must be learned' is what you say to deflect from the lack of actual consequences.

E: Speaking of Sir MI5:

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1370864056035332096

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly what seems interesting to me is that under Corbyn Lammy would go off on one about racism and I genuinely wonder if he's got some wanker signing off on his tweets under Sir Keith.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TheRat posted:

'Lessons must be learned' is what you say to deflect from the lack of actual consequences.

E: Speaking of Sir MI5:

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1370864056035332096

Wtf how the hell do you make traveling illegal :ughh:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Convex posted:

Wtf how the hell do you make traveling illegal :ughh:

well the euro step took a long time to reach widespread acceptance in north american ball, so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly what seems interesting to me is that under Corbyn Lammy would go off on one about racism and I genuinely wonder if he's got some wanker signing off on his tweets under Sir Keith.

The world is full of people who will say anything for their own benefit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBF Lammy knew Grenfell victims personally so that lit a fire under his arse.

I do think a party reflects its leaders which is why under Corbyn many MPs tweeted powerful anti-Semitism genuinely good takes on social justice issues.

And some just continued to post like absolute poo poo (see jessflips).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

The world is full of people who will say anything for their own benefit.

your posts suggest not exclusively so lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really starting to feel the ol' despair seeping in right now. I'm just sat here wondering how much worse things are going to get on all fronts with the frowning consent of all sides of parliament.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The silver lining to this depravity is that the true nature of the police and the TSG in particular has been very clearly exposed in a context where there is no plausible other side to be told.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you can expose people as much as you like, it doesn't matter as long as there are no meaningful consequences

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Well the middle aged white woman shouldn’t have been politely asking to get her glasses after the policeman slapped them off her face for laying down flowers” is a hard sell even for the daily express

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The police have really done it now, manhandling a group of white women. Maybe they'll finally be some consequences for police violence.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

“Well the middle aged white woman shouldn’t have been politely asking to get her glasses after the policeman slapped them off her face for laying down flowers” is a hard sell even for the daily express

Sure, and then what? Some headlines going "Well this sucks!" The internal police complaints commission will investigate themselves, find no wrong doing and move on. Has anyone been arrested for Grenfell? Or even any kind of consequence? It's an institutional power difference where they in power feel so safe they don't even need to throw the odd scape goat to the wolves.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Sadiq is going to have a very serious conversation with Cressida Dick and congratulate her for managing to not execute anyone this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
“Mistakes were made. Lessons will be learned”. Always in the loving passive voice. “Mistakes” were made by whom exactly?