Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was contractual unlike his role in YL so they didn't want to get sued. They minimized his role though at least.

Imagine being such a toxic person that you need to threaten legal action to keep your vanity/publicity voice acting gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AlternateNu posted:

Not a Switch question, but this is the closest thread for general Nintendo discussion:

I need recommendations for great GBA games that never got re-released. (i.e.; The GBA is the newest console they were available on. So, older generation games on the GBA also count.)
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure is a really good little action/platform game and one of the best non-fighting DB licensed games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Commander Keene posted:

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure is a really good little action/platform game and one of the best non-fighting DB licensed games.

There’s also a couple of pretty decent DBZ action RPGs that go through the storyline of the show

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

Imagine being such a toxic person that you need to threaten legal action to keep your vanity/publicity voice acting gigs.

lol a bit if the devs didn't have at the very least an option to just buy the contract out so they didn't have to use it even if they paid for it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s also a couple of pretty decent DBZ action RPGs that go through the storyline of the show
Yeah, the Legacy of Goku games (don't play the first, it's not very good).

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The best GBA game is Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. I really wish they'd make another Metroidvania Kirby game like it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've never finished kirby and the amazing mirror because if I go right I loop back to the beginning and if I go left I fight a boss and then it puts me back at the beginning and I have no loving idea where to go or what to do

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bleck posted:

I've never finished kirby and the amazing mirror because if I go right I loop back to the beginning and if I go left I fight a boss and then it puts me back at the beginning and I have no loving idea where to go or what to do

Same. I do plan on going back to it eventually.

I bought a bunch of Nintendo's arcade archives games today since I was tired of waiting for them to go on sale. They're all really fun and improvements over their NES ports. Ice Climber and Balloon Fight are very different. Having actual leaderboards will get me more into them. I suggest them for anyone that's a fan of the respective game on NES.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pungry posted:

The best GBA game is Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. I really wish they'd make another Metroidvania Kirby game like it.
This came out during the second wave of exploratory platformers and I recall the critical reception at the time was that the interconnected world was unnecessarily confusing (world map is an abstract graph of nodes) and didn't really add anything over just having linear levels (I don't think there's actually any gated progression to make it a true Metroidvania).

I personally thought it was pretty good and enjoyed it well enough. It's no Zero Mission or Aria of Sorrow but the weird Kirby games are the ones I like.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Never heard of this game and now I really want to play it. I need to see if my steam link can play emulators.
Do emulators have rumble support? Cause Drill Dozer had a rumble cart and the usage was awesome for the feel of the game, particularly on the smaller GB Micro. WarioWare Twisted is another one where ideally you'd want to play on the original hardware.

Obscure one but one of my favorite puzzle games, Guru Logi Champ (or Guru Logic Champ) is goddamn great, and I'm not sure its specific mechanic has been copied.

One Line Puzzle I think came out on the DS first, but the GBA one was a sequel with more puzzles.

The original Rhythm Tengoku was great, and particularly loved the drum mini game. Was that ever included in one of the later sequels/collections?

As mentioned Tony Hawk 1+2 on GBA were pretty neat for how they pulled it off and actually worked well.

And totally forgot about Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes, but those were awesome. I think just in general there was a bunch of great stuff on GBA as kind of as last hurrah for a lot of 2D games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Into the Breach

This. It’s an excellent little strategy game that’s more of a puzzler really.

—-

Just wrapped up AC:Rogue! That was fun. I can see myself getting 3 just for the checklist nature of it but only for super cheap.

Now to muster the courage to play Pikmin 3. I may do some All Stars in between to destress if necessary.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

another kind of obscure one i really like is fire pro wrestling 2. it has a good career mode and an insane breadth of wrestler editing options. it's actually the 20th fire pro wrestling game but only the second to be released in english. the first english one was a gba launch title, and it's also good but doesn't have a career mode. my only beef with the gba ones is that due to the face button situation strong attacks are triggered by pressing a+b, and it can be tricky to get it just right so it doesn't interpret one input first and do a weaker attack. game's good though. watching these little guys slap each other around is awesome even though they're only 48 pixels tall. better than any of the wwe games

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I tried playing some Zelda II today and it's fun but how the gently caress did people play games without internet walkthroughs, I've beaten the first two palaces and now everything is blocked by rocks I need the hammer to break, and I can't find it to save my life.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried playing some Zelda II today and it's fun but how the gently caress did people play games without internet walkthroughs, I've beaten the first two palaces and now everything is blocked by rocks I need the hammer to break, and I can't find it to save my life.

It’s on the other side of the annoying as gently caress death mountain cave maze full of those axe throwing doggo fucktards.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just call the Nintendo hotline, they'll tell you where to go next.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Weedle posted:

another kind of obscure one i really like is fire pro wrestling 2. it has a good career mode and an insane breadth of wrestler editing options. it's actually the 20th fire pro wrestling game but only the second to be released in english. the first english one was a gba launch title, and it's also good but doesn't have a career mode. my only beef with the gba ones is that due to the face button situation strong attacks are triggered by pressing a+b, and it can be tricky to get it just right so it doesn't interpret one input first and do a weaker attack. game's good though. watching these little guys slap each other around is awesome even though they're only 48 pixels tall. better than any of the wwe games

I'm of the understanding that all the Fire Pro games are really good. I should try the GBA one

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

this is what it felt like when games were good

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cithen posted:

this is what it felt like when games were good

Apparently his name really was meant to be Error.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm of the understanding that all the Fire Pro games are really good. I should try the GBA one

fire pro wrestling world on pc & ps4 is insanely good and i wish they’d put it on switch. it’s got everything. custom costumes, custom moves, custom entrances, management mode, real njpw/stardom wrestlers, and three story modes including one written by suda51 as a sequel to the infamous snes fire pro game with the suicide story, where you are that guy’s son. it completely owns. get it together spike chunsoft! the people demand furious chops!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

The walkthroughs were just in print instead. Strategy guides were big obviously, but nintendo power magazine had some pretty in-depth guides too. And there was that hotline that I never actually called.

I think I actually had a nintendo power for zelda II back in the day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The walkthroughs were just in print instead. Strategy guides were big obviously, but nintendo power magazine had some pretty in-depth guides too. And there was that hotline that I never actually called.

I think I actually had a nintendo power for zelda II back in the day.

I had their atlas from the early 90s that had all the Zelda, mario, castlevania, and a few other game series all mapped out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Since Zelda II has been overshadowed and the other two side-scrolling Zeldas on the CDi were terrible, I'm sad that we will almost certainly never again see a Zelda in that style.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I see there is a Final Fantasy sale going on. FFXII looks like a good time on the switch. Though I have already played (never beat) it on PC and I imagine it hasn’t changed from that version. How did FF XV Pocket Edition turn out? I really enjoyed FF XV on PC.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Odd Mutant posted:

Apparently his name really was meant to be Error.
Yeah, it's Bagu with the incorrect name, his should be Bug.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Weedle posted:

fire pro wrestling world on pc & ps4 is insanely good and i wish they’d put it on switch. it’s got everything. custom costumes, custom moves, custom entrances, management mode, real njpw/stardom wrestlers, and three story modes including one written by suda51 as a sequel to the infamous snes fire pro game with the suicide story, where you are that guy’s son. it completely owns. get it together spike chunsoft! the people demand furious chops!!

wtf :eyepop: I need to get on this

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm sort of in the mood for a casual, drop-in multiplayer experience. Monster Hunter is on my radar, but my impression of it is a fairly hardcore game where you'd probably want to be on voice chat or something. Does it work okay if I'm just going to be occasionally joining random pub rooms, or will that just be more frustration than it's worth?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That'll work, you'll sometimes run into people who have no idea what they're doing but you don't ever really lose progress. Just might have a hunt that sucks?

For the overall pubbies experience it's a little tiny bit like how splatfest groups work.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

AlternateNu posted:

Not a Switch question, but this is the closest thread for general Nintendo discussion:

I need recommendations for great GBA games that never got re-released. (i.e.; The GBA is the newest console they were available on. So, older generation games on the GBA also count.)

Astro boy is a treasure made beat em up which is absolutely fantastic (but nails).

I personally also love the metroid fusion. It's not a popular one because it deviates a lot from the tone. It feels like a 90's saturday morning cartoon version of super metroid

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hate Metroid Fusion because it indirectly gave us Other M.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Might as well blame Metroid II and Super Metroid too due to their focus on THE BABY.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Luigi's Mansion 3 is really fun. The chainsaw in the terrarium owns and I wish it could be a permanent addition to the vacuum.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is anything missable in Origami King?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

404notfound posted:

I'm sort of in the mood for a casual, drop-in multiplayer experience. Monster Hunter is on my radar, but my impression of it is a fairly hardcore game where you'd probably want to be on voice chat or something. Does it work okay if I'm just going to be occasionally joining random pub rooms, or will that just be more frustration than it's worth?

I play a ton with pubs without any way to communicate and don't really have any trouble. You can dl the Rise demo and try it out right now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Science_enthusiast posted:

I personally also love the metroid fusion. It's not a popular one because it deviates a lot from the tone.
Metroid Fusion is the closest the series gets to straight up being an Alien ripoff/space survival horror game. I think it does it very well, but it's so distinct from the three Zebesian Metroids (that, honestly are all the same game) that define the 2D series that a lot of people reacted negatively to Fusion.

I think if Metorid Fusion was created as a new franchise it would have been criticized far less.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

404notfound posted:

I've played hundreds of hours of MH games and not once have I used a mic for pubbie mp. Except for, maybe, the post game monsters that get patched in at the end of the game's lifecycle, you don't require much communication for the hunts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nope.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

A 102% challenge run which involves never getting a game over or using any battle related accessories. Which nets you nothing but shiny badges on your save file.

Aside from that, nothing is missable.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ragequit posted:

I see there is a Final Fantasy sale going on. FFXII looks like a good time on the switch. Though I have already played (never beat) it on PC and I imagine it hasn’t changed from that version. How did FF XV Pocket Edition turn out? I really enjoyed FF XV on PC.

FFXII has 4x Fast Forward and that makes it fantastic. I left that on basically all the time and if I very quickly wiped then I'd load and revisit my gambits. If I died again then I'd fight it regularly, though that rarely happened.

FFXV was cozy and I thought it was a pretty clever idea from a design perspective but it didn't hold my attention for all that long. Probably needed a 4X Fast Forward button.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I hate Super Mario RPG because it led to Paper Jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

I hate Super Mario RPG because it led to Paper Jam