Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Doomhammer posted:

Pretty sure I've seen He Yi and friends turn up in the generic yellow turban faction, so you can always let the rebels take hold of a commandery and hope he shows up!
I know when I played Yellow Turbans if a different Yellow Turban faction got wiped out, all their officers showed up in my pool. Therefore I imagine that its possible that if all the named YT factions get wiped they could show up in the generic YT faction pool, but maybe not because I think the generic/rebellion YT factions that rebel are always at war with literally everyone.

Another problem (that I may just be imagining) is that if the AI recruits a lord out to having 6 units, then that lord loses a battle and his army gets removed from the campaign map, the AI doesnt always chose to re-recruit him because of either money or just-AI-things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Liu Bei found out that standing in forests doesn't necessarily protect you from missiles.

Also, it's really cool that if Yuan Shao gets the Northern Army, all of his captain retinues get upgraded to Northern Army Captains. So you can theoretically have as many as you want. And if you combine that with the lineage armory, you can have a gently caress ton of heavily armored veterans who are also unbreakable and have like 75% missile block chance.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 14, 2021

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I hope they update MTU quickly, I basically require it to play this game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Such a fatuous Lord.

I tried out a Meng Huo campaign today and I hadn't realo how boring of a leader he actually is. You start off in a strong position to immediately take Mulu and I got Wutugu turn 2 from Shamoke. The only real threat is of Liu Biao turns south.

I'm finding Sun Ce to be an aggressive fucker in the 200ce starts, he snowballs incredibly quickly.

I started up a Liu Zhang campaign and managed to grab the Three Brothers with Liu Bei now being my faction leader and keeping Liu Zhang as my PM, he may get demoted again to Chancellor when Zhuge Liang arrives. Zhangs units are cool, I wish Shi Xie had something like this.

Chocobo posted:

I hope they update MTU quickly, I basically require it to play this game.
2 weeks.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

ah, got to love the Re-roll bad trait council choice

Liu Zhang living his best life.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I remember some time ago they added a "characters can't die of old age" toggle, has anyone given it a try?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sun Ce has been, the absolute worst vassal I can imagine. He got owned early on and his scattered units just scamper all over the south in little drips occasionally sniping a settlement pissing people off and dragging me into war after war to the point where I think the entire south hates us

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Really not liking the structure right now where you're very quickly forced into a choice between declaring war on Cao Cao or taking some kind of big handicap. Only tried Ma Teng and inheritance-boy so I hope it's not all the scripted characters. Snaking your way along the yellow river while having 10 plus armies conga-lining towards you is a very samey experience.

Also can someone explain the empire mechanic to me like I'm five. It feels completely impossible to tank someone else's reputation. Everyone just ends up on 75-100 favour within 20 turns irregardless and then Cao Cao declares himself emperor ending the mechanic. Does the dynamic change if you're Yuan Shao and can actually hurt him early?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Does the dynamic change if you're Yuan Shao and can actually hurt him early?

no

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Azran posted:

I remember some time ago they added a "characters can't die of old age" toggle, has anyone given it a try?

It's pretty self-explanatory, the only real issue with it is that you might miss out on some characters because of it.

Best example I can think of is if Sun Jian doesn't bite it at some point Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao will never show up since their event is dependent on Sun Ce being faction lead (and/or Sun Jian being dead) or something along those lines, IIRC.

I don't think it's that common though, I like it to keep around named characters since I get bored of armies of nothing but generics.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Nothing worse than having a kick-rear end start to a campaign and then your leader dies only a few years in.

loving Liu Chong.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Really not liking the structure right now where you're very quickly forced into a choice between declaring war on Cao Cao or taking some kind of big handicap. Only tried Ma Teng and inheritance-boy so I hope it's not all the scripted characters. Snaking your way along the yellow river while having 10 plus armies conga-lining towards you is a very samey experience.

Also can someone explain the empire mechanic to me like I'm five. It feels completely impossible to tank someone else's reputation. Everyone just ends up on 75-100 favour within 20 turns irregardless and then Cao Cao declares himself emperor ending the mechanic. Does the dynamic change if you're Yuan Shao and can actually hurt him early?

It's definitely poorly balanced right now. Positive food seems to give too much rep for how common it is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

It's definitely poorly balanced right now. Positive food seems to give too much rep for how common it is.

Does Creative Assembly do like zero playtesting?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

I've been using it exclusively since it's been added. I think I much prefer it as characters will only die in battle, special events, or through execution. This often leads to more story development where you run into officers from factions that you eliminated early game in late game fights and they still hold a grudge, but are higher level. I had a Cao Cao campaign a few months ago where I killed both Liu Bei and Zhang Fei. Guan Yu escaped and spent the rest of the game jumping from faction to faction trying to get revenge on me. Every time I would knock out a faction he would escape and join the next one that was likely to resist. By the time I finally achieved campaign victory he was still alive and really pissed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Does Creative Assembly do like zero playtesting?

You're playtesting it now

I nearly captured the emperor, then gong du swooped in and captured the city and killed him. You still get messages constantly about how your imperial favor has changed despite them being dead

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha yeah I was wondering what that was about too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Surprised there aren't a few more steps and things to do for Imperial Favour. I figured there would be some more scheme like things.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think they erred on the side of making imperial favor too easy to accrue rather than going too hard and having people riot about it. It's probably going to get tuned downward over the next patches.

Still, you can try and snipe food provinces and use the negative button to whittle people down a bit, I've actually been using the boost button to help out my vassals and 'enemies of my enemies' which realistically is not accomplishing much but feels nice

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope they work on the intrigue system more before making it stricter. I could easily see it spiraling out of control since you can lose 2-7 favor per battle. Once you get to the mid/end game, without a way to significantly boost intrigue you could find yourself in a downward spiral.

Also, what happens when Yuan Shu declares himself emperor? Does he still have to deal with the intrigue? It would be really awkward if he did.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I hope they work on the intrigue system more before making it stricter. I could easily see it spiraling out of control since you can lose 2-7 favor per battle. Once you get to the mid/end game, without a way to significantly boost intrigue you could find yourself in a downward spiral.

Also, what happens when Yuan Shu declares himself emperor? Does he still have to deal with the intrigue? It would be really awkward if he did.

I guess so. I saw him hit low value, then got called enemy of Han" and everyone piled on him.

I think there's something off with title progression for AI - I hit king requirement in ~215 but didn't want to launch it yet. I didn't notice any dutchies during that time, and some factions had pretty sizeable lands.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cao Pi is way more aggressive than Cao Cao, god drat he's coming at me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, the AI Cao Cao schemes are so broken. Just had one that made me go from + 1000 income to -6000 in between turns. I just took a crazy amount of desertion on all my armies and there was no opportunity for me to avoid or mitigate it in any way. This all happened after I hit end turn so I couldn't even increase my taxes or sell anything to offset it. That's pretty horseshit.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Did the game tell you which scheme he used? Because Looking at them I'm not sure what could have caused that kind of damage all at once.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

You're playtesting it now

I nearly captured the emperor, then gong du swooped in and captured the city and killed him. You still get messages constantly about how your imperial favor has changed despite them being dead

The entire Imperial family became Jiangshi after the attack and now death is a mere inconvenience to them, obviously.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Just think of it as the new 'Nanman endlessly drop their generic unusable weapons after battle' thing. CA doesn't seem great at remembering to turn things off.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Huh, since when does Kong Rong start off at peace with Dong Zhuo? Extra weird since the current character select system sorts him as part of the coalition instead of the empire where all the other governor types are.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Doomhammer posted:

Did the game tell you which scheme he used? Because Looking at them I'm not sure what could have caused that kind of damage all at once.

It showed up in the side bubbles, but didn't even pop up. It was one that increased the cost of Yuan Shao's retinue by 50%, but I think there might be some weird bug, because it also increased the cost of the captain retinues that were attached to him. So his army was suddenly very expensive. I think Cao Cao might have also vassalized at least one of my trade partners, so that would account for another 900-ish income. Again, none of this would have been all that devastating if I had an opportunity to react to it, but I didn't, so I just took a massive -6k bankruptcy and my armies which were about 1 turn away from fighting Cao Cao's were now all half-strength.

Long story short, going to war against Cao Cao seems very Not Fun.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the DLC really suffers from being so Cao Cao centric. I don't understand why they were so afraid to let the player set their own pace when playing the fringe factions while him and Yuan Shao duke it out. I mean I can fight Cao Cao as a northern warlord but it'll always be the same sludge-fest of snaking down the river while the AI conga-lines 3-6 armies at you inefficiently. Was it wiping the Yuan Shao AI too quickly without player intervention?

My current inheritance-boy game is going very strange. I've got Cao Cao pinned in the mountains with just two armies sitting in ambush and at the same time he's just getting dominated by every other faction without seemingly giving a care. All armies march north.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've had amazing accidental AI characterization moment: Yuan Shao owned most of northern lands, while I (as Liu Bei) had middle. I was content to have a river border and spent time developing provinces and kicking random factions as a good Imperial Uncle I was. Suddenly he declared war on me, while having his armies sitting in the mountains fighting against bandit factions. He sent nothing my way for 4-5 turns, while I've rebased and recruited 6 armies, crossed the river, and took a couple of provinces. Then his 4 stack army appeared and duked it out with my similarly sized one in a bloody confusing carnage of a battle. After that he split his battered forces into 2 groups I've destroyed piecemeal. Then I've just rolled the rest of his lands. Truly a fatuous lord.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Does non-romance mode feel less.. I dont wanna say cartoony, but maybe more traditional total war ish?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Does non-romance mode feel less.. I dont wanna say cartoony, but maybe more traditional total war ish?

Yeah, but heavy cav general retinues can in some cases do even more carnage than single character models. Fatigue is more of a thing too, and units seem to regain fatigue for a long time. That's what stood out for me during a brief campaign in Records mode.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I only play records and have done for ages, the big thing you miss out on imo is the banter between generals but otherwise its better. Neither 3k or hams handles single entity units very well imo.

Fatigue is meant to be more of an issue but isn't really in practice unless you're in bad weather.

Plus it makes your generals way loving stronger but also more vulnerable. A general with the charge skill ploughing hundreds of cataphracts right through some spearmen is basically the coolest thing in any total war.
Otoh charge reflect and missiles will gently caress them right up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

reignonyourparade posted:

Huh, since when does Kong Rong start off at peace with Dong Zhuo? Extra weird since the current character select system sorts him as part of the coalition instead of the empire where all the other governor types are.
I think since always? He is technically an imperial governor because if I remember correctly he was appointed to where he is by Dong Zhuo (because Dong Zhuo wanted to get rid of him from imperial court). I won a campaign as him and I didnt get to form my own emperor seat.
But it didnt matter because his economy is OP with his 300 "Culture" income unique school-replacing building that also provides absurd pop growth.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zhuge Liang really needs the Mock ability from Fa Zheng, it's hilarious.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Zhuge Liang really needs the Mock ability from Fa Zheng, it's hilarious.

He needs a special mechanic where he mails an elderly general a letter then they read it and die

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

He needs a special mechanic where he mails an elderly general a letter then they read it and die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JpXRNP3hk

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Zhen

quote:

Cao Zhen feels so ashamed of himself that he falls sick. Zhuge Liang writes a letter to Cao Zhen to taunt and insult him. Cao Zhen becomes so angry after reading the letter that he coughs blood and dies that night in his camp.

I guess this is basically already possible with the new council system

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Zhen

I guess this is basically already possible with the new council system

Oh poo poo, I thought Wang Lang's death had been changed for the show but I guess I just misremembered the person it happens to.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Vichan posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought Wang Lang's death had been changed for the show but I guess I just misremembered the person it happens to.
He did it to Wang Lang in person in Romance iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: what the hell