Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My 5yo daughter has recently (~3 weeks ago) started crying when we drop her off at daycare. She's never had an issue with daycare (maybe normal separation anxiety around 18 months) and really loves her friends and teachers there. When we've tried to get her to talk about it and tell us what's wrong, the only thing she can come up with is "I just really like staying home and playing with you" or "<Boy in her class> cries a lot."

We found out today that <boy in her class> is new and started going there ~3 weeks ago. Given the coincidental timing, we think there's something going on with her interactions with him. We just can't get her to say anything more about it than "he cries a lot."

It's probable that him crying makes her stressed, and she doesn't like that stress. But I'd like to know if there's something worse going on (bullying, inappropriate behavior, etc.). I know her ability to communicate her thoughts and feelings still isn't fully developed, but do you all have any advice on trying to suss out if there's more to the story here? Or advice on how to teach her to cope with the fact that there will always be people you don't like in the world?

We're planning to talk to the teacher about it to see if she's noticed anything or has ideas.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah, I would start with the teacher before prodding the child about it any further.

It's fairly possible the new kid has some known issue in his life and the teachers are on it already, then you will know how to talk to your daughter about it.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Any book recommendations about dealing with the death of a pet? Doggo had a brush with death yesterday when a mass on his spleen ruptured and he started bleeding out. Got the splenectomy and it's out for biopsy, but it's probably cancer and we're looking at ~6 months with chemo. We've seen the Daniel Tiger episode before, so I'll throw that back in the queue again, but I'd also like to have a book around as that was pretty effective when we were preparing for the new baby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid has a stuffed animal that is like our dog that passed. We let him put his collar on it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 2.5-year-old has all of his teeth, but recently he's started putting his hands in his mouth a lot. Why would he be doing that?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

hooah posted:

My 2.5-year-old has all of his teeth, but recently he's started putting his hands in his mouth a lot. Why would he be doing that?

He's 2.5

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Well sure, but his sister never did that, and he hasn't since he finished teething.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Maybe there's something stuck back or between there. Might be worth whipping out the cell phone flashlight and say "ahhhhh"

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son's new favorite toy is my 20lb kettlebell. He's really become particularly attached to it in the last month or two. He drags it around behind him everywhere he goes. He cries when I pick him up because he doesn't have the hand strength to lift it off the ground yet, so he just drag it in endless circles around the house.

Probably unrelated but the kid feels like he's just solid muscle under a thin layer of baby fat. Given the whole covid thing I havent gotten to hold any other babies in a while but I'm pretty sure they're not normally shredded AF under their rolls??

He's 9 months old.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

My son's new favorite toy is my 20lb kettlebell. He's really become particularly attached to it in the last month or two. He drags it around behind him everywhere he goes. He cries when I pick him up because he doesn't have the hand strength to lift it off the ground yet, so he just drag it in endless circles around the house.

Probably unrelated but the kid feels like he's just solid muscle under a thin layer of baby fat. Given the whole covid thing I havent gotten to hold any other babies in a while but I'm pretty sure they're not normally shredded AF under their rolls??

He's 9 months old.

I don’t know babies and toddlers are unexpectedly and bewilderingly strong so they could be stacked like a motherfucker. Or it’s just the giant unregulated emotions they feel giving them superpowers, especially if they don’t wanna do something and they will either hulk out of your arms like they are breaking a chain or surprise you with the poo poo they can pick up or even move

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

L0cke17 posted:

He's 9 months old.

People keep asking when we stopped supporting our 3 month olds head and I’m trying to think of if we ever started. He’s always had an intensely strong neck and would stare even before he got depth perception. You’re trying to give him a bottle and he just kept craning his neck back as hard as he could.

Now he’s like a tiny muscly ball of drool with big chubby cheeks.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

He's 9 months old.

The mental image of a 9 month old forming a deep emotional bond with a kettle bell is cracking me up. Our 2 year old is friends with an air intake grate in the wall of a building near our house. She doesn't really have any friends due to the pandemic so she's really taking what she can get.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours has chubby cheeks but otherwise yeah she's just solid muscle with one roll of fat on each thigh and that's it. If you held her elbows for balance she would stand in your lap at 7 weeks. There's a gif somewhere of her standing up leaning against the couch backrest solo at 8 weeks.

My brother in law, on the other hand, lent us their "double-banana neck pillow" because their kid needed neck support until 6 months. We ended up never using it and it's probably lost now.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Me when 9 month old gets up at 4:30 after a lovely night of sleep: man this sucks

Me when 9 month old immediately grabs a brush and crawls over to brush my hair: man this rules

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Happy Worst Weekend for Parents!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

Ah gently caress.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Alterian posted:

We have nowhere to go so who gives a poo poo.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I prefer this to turning clock back an hour and having baby wake up at some stupid early time

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe we will just keep bedtime the exact same. Nothing changes except it’s 8:30 instead of 7:30

He just started to sleep through the night more consistently and thus hasn’t come into our room for a few nights and now I feel like the universe is all, “Ok enough of that poo poo, enjoy loving up your kid’s carefully-established schedule!”

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

nachos posted:

I prefer this to turning clock back an hour and having baby wake up at some stupid early time

Same, honestly if you asked me how I’d like to shift my kid’s night routine right now if I could snap my fingers and do so, I’d probably say move everything one hour later. So it’s perfect.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wish we went on it and stayed on it. It's not so much the bedtime but the morning wakeup. Our kids wake up around 6:45 - 7. I have to leave the house with the toddler no later than 7:15 some days so I can get to work on time. I woke them up at 6am today to start the transition.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Thankfully we're supposedly having a Snowpocalypse, so the DST change will barely be noticeable among the power outages.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We’re probably just going to try to put our kids to bed at the same time even if it feels an hour earlier to them. If it doesn’t work we’ll just wait a bit before trying again. We love our current schedule of them waking up at 7 am and going to bed at 8 pm.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Well, it didn’t take even a week of daycare for my son to pick up his first bug and pass it to me and my husband. Guess we’ve got a lot of this to look forward to, considering he’s got a year of being exposed to literally no one but the two of us to make up for!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just had our first episode of ‘too tired to sleep’ what the gently caress baby

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If you're worried about sleep I'd put the kids to bed a half hour early tonight.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just had our first episode of ‘too tired to sleep’ what the gently caress baby

Overtiredness really should have been weeded out by natural selection a long time ago

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nachos posted:

Overtiredness really should have been weeded out by natural selection a long time ago

Well, before electricity everyone just slept twelve hours a day.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you're worried about sleep I'd put the kids to bed a half hour early tonight.

We're gonna try to do this tonight... No clue if it'll work

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It can't be any worse than suddenly putting them to bed an hour earlier, right?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Somehow my kid only poops on Saturday. All week long no poops, but Saturday is an all-day dookathon.

It is strange because he's home doing the same stuff some of the week too but nope Saturday is the day for poop. At least it is spread out throughout the day instead of one massive diaper-blowing event.

Also have him egg this morning on advice of the doctor, about half a teaspoon. Unlike the previous times he had absolutely no reaction to it that we can tell. :iiam:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Just freaked my toddler out by pretending to be a “broken robot” after having my “shutdown” and “turn on” buttons pressed too quickly. She did not like that Papa could be broken. Not. One. Bit.

Father of the year.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dobbs_Head posted:

Just freaked my toddler out by pretending to be a “broken robot” after having my “shutdown” and “turn on” buttons pressed too quickly. She did not like that Papa could be broken. Not. One. Bit.

Father of the year.

She was going to learn sooner or later.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Jokes on you kid daddy's been broken since the day you were born

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Took baby to first outting. I genuinely don't understand the in-laws. I was able to source a single table eating experience: the wing spot lady was hype for our lil outting. We would have been the only folks in that entire astroturfed patio. Far enough away from the street that no walk bys would even be possible. 4 blocks from home so we could use our fancy stroller. If ideal conditions could exist for a 3 week old being outside in the pandemic then this would be it.

Nah, they don't feel safe with that. Instead we go to a hotel restaurant with a brunch of other brunching motherfuckers who pay too much to wear masks. Paying 28 dollars for some tapatillo on an egg. gently caress outta here.

Heard first hand a gaggle of brunchers absolutely melt when they saw me sooth my baby. Just sploosh. Real wild about it, shouting and splooshin next table over and telling each other how I could get it durring nap time, and like my wife was RIGHT THERE. Felt nice tho, good to know I still got it.

This was the first time I've used a public restroom changing station. I went to the bathroom and saw staff just got done cleaning and thought "why not". If perfect conditions existed for a public diaper change then this would be it. True luxury is a push button changing table with textured disposable bed pads provided in a purpose build gilded slot.

What's the read on baby masks. I'm thinking like getting lil dude one when he hits 9 months. In laws told me "oh no they can't wear masks till they're 4" and I'm not raising some bubble baby that does not experience society so it's gotta be earlier than that. AAP says 2 years, but they take money from Nestle so they can suck my dick from the back. Thoughts? Thots?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

try as we might our youngests would rip their masks off as soon as we put one on them until 2 and a half recently. i haven't seen anyone successfully masking a child under 2 for more than a minute.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I haven't even considered masking my baby, I think he'll be vaccinated before he's old enough to wear a mask.

In other news, my 4yo is like a tiny adult most of the time, and regularly makes breakfast, lunch and dinner for the family all by herself. So how come she still shits her pants twice a week? I don't get it, kid.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

what kind of food does your 4 year old make? my 5 year old is interested in cooking, and i got her some nylon knives for kids, so she helps me cut while i cook, but I struggle to find her things to make that are at her level. she's done tortilla roll ups, and pbj, but i know she wants to make more.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I put milk and cereal in small containers and set a bowl out the night before, so that she can make her own cereal for breakfast. For lunch it's usually pbj; I sat some bread out before getting distracted by the baby yesterday, and when I came back she's already made my sandwich. :3:

For dinner she just helps with whatever. Cleaning vegetables, mixing ingredients, etc. We eat a lot of stuff in the "pour poo poo into the crock pot/9x13 and bake" family of food, which she has varying levels of involvement in depending on how much knife/stove/oven is involved. Like, she'll layer a shepherd's pie casserole in the 9x13 like an expert, but we have to brown the burger and put into the oven.

Sometimes she's too "tired to help" or "it's TV time", but she likes to help with dinner a lot.

Edit: Everyone should have nylon knives for cutting in metal pans, even before having kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

What's the read on baby masks. I'm thinking like getting lil dude one when he hits 9 months. In laws told me "oh no they can't wear masks till they're 4" and I'm not raising some bubble baby that does not experience society so it's gotta be earlier than that. AAP says 2 years, but they take money from Nestle so they can suck my dick from the back. Thoughts? Thots?

Ask your doctor. Ultimately it's your decision, but a doctor who knows you and your kid may be better informed than internet weirdos.

When we asked my son's pediatrician about baby masks she said not until you could actually communicate with the child and they understood what it was and to not mess with it. Also they need to be able to get it back off if they threw up or something suddenly so they don't choke on their spitup.

So realistically that puts us at ??? years off with a 9mo at the moment, at which point it won't matter (hopefully).

With an actual infant it's much more likely that you'll have an infant vaccine available for them before it's safe to shove a mask on them at this point.

Her suggestion for taking the baby places as an infant pre-mask was getting a cloth covering for the stroller/baby carrier with a window in it in the meantime for like stores or visiting places where you would be wearing a mask yourself.