Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

fischtick posted:

Probably a regional thing, but in the PNW Costco is selling lil landjaegers by Bavarian Meats (out of Seattle). They’re short, stout little dried sausages. Subtle flavor, but delicious. I’d love it if they had a spicier version.

Serving size is two! I aspirationally put two in my flannel pocket, take maybe three steps and they’re both gone.

Where do you see them in your local? Gonna look next time I hit up the 'Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

send me one no boba

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

no

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fischtick posted:

Probably a regional thing, but in the PNW Costco is selling lil landjaegers by Bavarian Meats (out of Seattle). They’re short, stout little dried sausages. Subtle flavor, but delicious. I’d love it if they had a spicier version.

Serving size is two! I aspirationally put two in my flannel pocket, take maybe three steps and they’re both gone.

Are you Frank Reynolds?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
honey roasted macadmaia nuts are p wizard

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I learned a terrible lesson that eating an entire jar of the honey roasted cashews in the span of 36 hours does terrible things to myself digestive system. Twice. Goddamn if they aren't delicious though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

fischtick posted:

They are the best ones I've had outside of Austria, so I guess I'm going to go buy my weight in Landjäger now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just did a Saturday run. It wasn't terrible but I have bad social anxiety (diagnosed lol). My average HR was about 107 I'd say according to my FitBit. But I got in and out without much fuss. Just a few people that were frustrating. The gas line was terrible again. Second time in a row I've seen it almost full. I don't wait for things so I pulled in there, realized my mistake, then backed up and went out the wrong way entrance since there is no other way out. :shrug: I picked up that weed and feed and the other stuff I mentioned. The T-FAL large pan was smaller than I thought but still fine. That'll probably be my new main pan. I also ran out of my cheap olive oil last night so I picked up some good ol' Kirkland 100% Italian EVOO. That's the good poo poo according to places that talk about how most American olive oil is bullshit. The Organic stuff is legit but it's blended. Picked up some skinny pop popcorn for a little snack. Some fajita chicken bowls, and that king crab chowder someone mentioned in here not long ago. No dog. :(

It was only $117. I went to Customer Service and got my certificate in check form. No hassle but it took about 10 minutes. A nice free $497. I don't need no stinkin' stimulus check. :getin:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evoo has a lower smoke point than regular be warned

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Re Tefal non stick pans:

Just get a Lodge Cast Iron Pan, it will last forever and will always be non-stick (just fry a few things on it and wash it and it'll eventually develop a non-stick surface that's second to none and almost indestructible).

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Where do you see them in your local? Gonna look next time I hit up the 'Co

Towards the front of the store, where we keep all our jerky and such. It was an end cap. White bags with blue lettering.

We got 2 bags. I told my daughter the second one is good through October so we can toss it in the pantry for a couple months if she burns out on the open bag. She responded in a measured tone, “I will never burn out on landjaeger.”

Also, someone mentioned smokin hot cheese?! Looks like I gotta take a trip up to Seattle after I get the jab.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the set of kirkland stainless steel pans with the copper in the base and I really like them especially for the price. I have one allclad frying pan and it’s good but the kirkland ones are very nice too. They are easy to clean and have the measurement markings on the inside of the pots which is handy.

They replaced a set of anodized aluminum with nonstick coating that I had had for ages and I much prefer them especially how I don’t have to be as careful about protecting a coating.

Need to get an enamelled dutch oven sometime, I think costco in store has the tramontina ones occasionally so I am keeping an eye out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaius Marius posted:

Evoo has a lower smoke point than regular be warned

Yeah if I ever need something with a higher smoke point I'll use canola oil. I usually never cook anything super hot.

edit: a funny (not loving funny at the time) anecdote was my friend was going to sear some steaks or something in EVOO. I was like:

Me: Friend, don't do it. You'll smoke the kitchen up.
Friend: Dude I've done it before.
Me: I'm warning you man.
Friend: LEEERRRROOOOOY JEEEENNNNKIINNNNSSSS

10 minutes later the ENTIRE apartment complex was out in 0F weather for 30 minutes while the fire department had to shut off the alarm system.

loving idiot lol.

edit 2:

Steakandchips posted:

Re Tefal non stick pans:

Just get a Lodge Cast Iron Pan, it will last forever and will always be non-stick (just fry a few things on it and wash it and it'll eventually develop a non-stick surface that's second to none and almost indestructible).

Yeah I got one a few years ago, my first cast iron pan, but only used it a handful of times. I'm in love with it. I can't wait until it gets non-stick.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

fischtick posted:

Also, someone mentioned smokin hot cheese?! Looks like I gotta take a trip up to Seattle after I get the jab.

They aren't crazy spicy, but they are still tasty. Their Nürnberger Rostbratwurst are better IMO though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
cast iron pans are great but even a well seasoned one doesnt really compete with like a teflon nonstick pan. theyre still easy as hell to clean though you just have to remember not to use soap and to dry it immediately. that being said apparently lodge makes some ceramic coated cast irons (basically a knock off le creuset) that are supposed to be great for the price and the ceramic has pretty good nonstick qualities right out of the box

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a really good “expensive” non stick pan and the biggest things are,

Do not use cooking sprays
Do not use high heat

I’ve had it for about a year now and eggs slide right out and cleaning is a snap.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nonsticks are great for eggs and fish, no doubt. I made the mistake way back when of getting a complete set with saucepans which definitely do not need the nonstick and just end up getting scraped by someone careless like my wife. :mad:

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Need to get an enamelled dutch oven sometime, I think costco in store has the tramontina ones occasionally so I am keeping an eye out.

They used to sell a Kirkland branded one that was great, and was my first enameled Dutch oven. It even had a metal knob on top. Even some top brands have a plastic knob you have to replace if you’re going to use the oven for baking or at temperatures approaching 500 degrees F.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

thathonkey posted:

cast iron pans are great but even a well seasoned one doesnt really compete with like a teflon nonstick pan. theyre still easy as hell to clean though you just have to remember not to use soap and to dry it immediately. that being said apparently lodge makes some ceramic coated cast irons (basically a knock off le creuset) that are supposed to be great for the price and the ceramic has pretty good nonstick qualities right out of the box

Eggs and fish slide off my cast iron pan no problem.

Fry more stuff to get a good seasoning going. You can totally use soap to clean it too.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Went today with the sole intention of replenishing my three favorite things:

Orange Chicken
Pot Stickers
Mini Wontons

None of those were on shelves.

Sigh.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GORDON posted:

Went today with the sole intention of replenishing my three favorite things:

Orange Chicken
Pot Stickers
Mini Wontons

None of those were on shelves.

Sigh.

that's very cursed. i dont think ive ever seen them run out of orange chicken (crazy town brand right?). iirc pot stickers or wontons can come and go though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Steakandchips posted:

Eggs and fish slide off my cast iron pan no problem.

Fry more stuff to get a good seasoning going. You can totally use soap to clean it too.

After doing a bunch of research I came to the conclusion that soap is just fine. I wash it in the sink, dry it off, put it on the stove for a while to heat it up to make sure all of the moisture is off, then do a very light rubdown with oil. I made the mistake last time of using way too much oil for the seasoning and it just gets sticky. Now I use a super light amount.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
When I washed dishes in high school those cast iron fajita platters got a wipe down in the sink and a coating of lard after. They were super slick.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bought the enormous jug of queso dip with green chiles in it and I'd be pretty okay if someone buried me alive in it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

After doing a bunch of research I came to the conclusion that soap is just fine. I wash it in the sink, dry it off, put it on the stove for a while to heat it up to make sure all of the moisture is off, then do a very light rubdown with oil. I made the mistake last time of using way too much oil for the seasoning and it just gets sticky. Now I use a super light amount.

Pretty sure Lodge themselves say soap is completely fine, it's the oil when dry part that is what is important.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wife and i are vaccinated now so we're gonna hit the co again for the first time since november

big ticket items we need are an air purifier and a knife set. costco got good ones of those for the season???

KakerMix posted:

Pretty sure Lodge themselves say soap is completely fine, it's the oil when dry part that is what is important.

yeah soap is fine on seasoned cast iron. we've been using ours for years and have not had a problem

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 14, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I saw they had an air purifier on sale a week or so ago, but I didn't really catch any details on it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's this Winix True HEPA 4 Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi and Additional Filter

It's out of stock online but there were plenty there at the warehouse. I saw someone with one in their cart. I was tempted to grab it but I really can't justify it. Even though I'm a bachelor and my house is probably dirty and needs it.

edit: crazy, it says it removes viruses.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 14, 2021

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

It’s effective square footage doesn’t seem great to me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it seems like it's more for a bedroom.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've slept with air purifiers in my bedroom my whole life and it makes a huge difference in the quality of my sleep.

If you have trouble sleeping due to seasonal allergies then it helps quite a lot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My trouble sleeping comes from the horrible demon that snarls and breaths on me in my sleep.

Does it filter that?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My trouble sleeping comes from the horrible demon that snarls and breaths on me in my sleep.

Does it filter that?

Not until they turn 30 and can finally afford to move out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wait poo poo this is still GBS

I mean,

Sleep with your monitor on

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Renegret posted:

I've slept with air purifiers in my bedroom my whole life and it makes a huge difference in the quality of my sleep.
Seems like you're missing a control arm.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

If you have trouble sleeping due to seasonal allergies then it helps quite a lot.

I bet it does, I just started using a CPAP and it does the same thing essentially (plus shoves the cleaned air up your nose)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We bought a couple of the Winx air purifiers back then the wildfires we’re bad here in CA. One in each bedroom and one in the main living area. They’re completely silent and go into a bedtime mode where they turn off the LEDs which is nice.

if you fart in the same room as one it will pick it up within a couple seconds, turn the LED red and start filtering like crazy, it’s pretty funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Buy sectionals so I can move this patio poo poo up, thanks in advance

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress me im going to have to get it for the fart alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

We bought a couple of the Winx air purifiers back then the wildfires we’re bad here in CA. One in each bedroom and one in the main living area. They’re completely silent and go into a bedtime mode where they turn off the LEDs which is nice.

if you fart in the same room as one it will pick it up within a couple seconds, turn the LED red and start filtering like crazy, it’s pretty funny.

BONGHITZ posted:

gently caress me im going to have to get it for the fart alarm.

Hmm... this is tempting.