Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

For the second year in a row, the Dodgers have re-upped Toles on a minor league deal even though he's no longer with the organization and won't actually get paid since he's on the restricted list, because it allows him continued access to MLB health insurance and he's been going through some serious mental health problems for a couple years now.

A friend of mine had a psychotic break last year and I got to experience first hand all of the same agonizing issues that were mentioned by his family when Toles' health issues first came to light - namely that if they're a legal adult with money and no history of actually hurting or threating anybody there's almost nothing you can do to force somebody undergoing paranoid schizophrenia to get much needed treatment - so I very much appreciate this gesture in case it somehow manages to get Toles the help and medication he needs. :smith:

I’m really glad they did this. I hope he comes back to the Show someday. But first things first - just needs to get well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's usually nice of them

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I could have sworn Jerry Seinfeld had a spring training at-bat for the Yankees or Mets awhile back. But googling it is coming up with nothing, so maybe I was confusing him with Billy Crystal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know poo poo about baseball, but I was going through some old stuff and I found a couple of cards that might be worth something, but I'm not sure. They aren't graded though, and I know you really need that to sell. Obviously they would have to be at least 8-9 to make it worthwhile I think. Should I just try to find someone in my area that I can sell them to as-is?

it's an 87 donruss mark mcgwire and barry bonds

but looking on ebay it seems like unless they are rated 10 it's not worth bothering, and even then you probably won't even recover the cost of having them graded

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Really cool cards from an era when baseball cards were hot poo poo, but not a ton of value since hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of copies were printed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I want to say it was 1987 Topps where the company printed an entire set for every man woman and child in the country

Like even the best cards from that time are barely worth anything

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Jordan Hicks's first AB against of the spring was 22 pitches for a walk apparently

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Still better than what the card market has become, though I'll admit there are a lot of cool products out there.

This year's Topps Series 1 sells for $150 for a 36 pack box. A 12 year old fan should be able to pick up that box with allowance money and mowing a couple of lawns.

Even at retail, so-called blaster boxes that usually retail around $20 are quickly purchased by middle aged men to sell at a markup. Like, these fuckers will find out when Target gets stocked, creep around the card area, waiting for hours to buy up literally everything the distributor puts on the shelf so they can flip it on eBay.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Even at retail, so-called blaster boxes that usually retail around $20 are quickly purchased by middle aged men to sell at a markup. Like, these fuckers will find out when Target gets stocked, creep around the card area, waiting for hours to buy up literally everything the distributor puts on the shelf so they can flip it on eBay.
Heard a card vendor at a store I go to say dudes even found him at home. Was it Pokemon or something that exploded recently cause I feel like people kicked it up an extra notch in the last month or so?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I have some old clips of John Goodman messing around with the Braves in 1992 spring training, though I don't think he got an at-bat during a game. Goodman had just filmed The Babe.

My favorite fact about that movie is John Goodman had to lose 60 pounds to play Babe Ruth.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love remembering that Trent Jabroni exists every year for approximately 15 minutes in march

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

For the second year in a row, the Dodgers have re-upped Toles on a minor league deal even though he's no longer with the organization and won't actually get paid since he's on the restricted list, because it allows him continued access to MLB health insurance and he's been going through some serious mental health problems for a couple years now.

A friend of mine had a psychotic break last year and I got to experience first hand all of the same agonizing issues that were mentioned by his family when Toles' health issues first came to light - namely that if they're a legal adult with money and no history of actually hurting or threating anybody there's almost nothing you can do to force somebody undergoing paranoid schizophrenia to get much needed treatment - so I very much appreciate this gesture in case it somehow manages to get Toles the help and medication he needs. :smith:

The Padres have done something similar for the past 25 years in order to keep health insurance active for a minor league pitcher that suffered a heart attack in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaChappa

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Chief McHeath posted:

Still better than what the card market has become, though I'll admit there are a lot of cool products out there.

This year's Topps Series 1 sells for $150 for a 36 pack box. A 12 year old fan should be able to pick up that box with allowance money and mowing a couple of lawns.

I went to the local shop and they were selling single packs for 27 dollars a pack. I poo poo you not.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks guys, I'll probably just give them away on craigslist

When I was a kid (I was born in 1982), the one set I always remember as having really high book value was 1992 Bowman, was it just not produced much?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The card market has exploded in the last year or so along with a lot of other hobbies because people have money to spend and nowhere to spend it. So the raw boxes are way up in price because people are trying to flip the cards they get in them. Very bizarre to me because regular Topps Series 1 is very vanilla usually.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

actionjackson posted:

thanks guys, I'll probably just give them away on craigslist

When I was a kid (I was born in 1982), the one set I always remember as having really high book value was 1992 Bowman, was it just not produced much?

baseballcardpedia posted:

After a disastrous 1989 debut, a lackluster 1990 effort, and an improved 1991 offering, Topps upgraded the 1992 version of Bowman to place it (quality wise) on par with their Stadium Club brand. All cards were printed on white, UV-coated cardstock, with full color fronts and backs. More importantly, Topps drastically cut production by printing '92 Bowman to order; a decision many dealers who threw away their order forms would later regret.

Also, the Mike Piazza card in the set.

I don't ever remember seeing any Bowman packs in 1992 and I was all over baseball cards then.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Also, the Mike Piazza card in the set.

I don't ever remember seeing any Bowman packs in 1992 and I was all over baseball cards then.

That set is such a landmark for so many reasons. The drastically cut production, the drastically improved quality, the inclusion of gold foil cards, and that rookie card class.. wow.

Manny Ramirez
Mike piazza
Mariano Rivera (his only true RC)
Trevor Hoffman
Carlos Delgado

Plus a ton of great 2nd year cards like Pedro Martinez, Jim Thome and Chipper Jones.

But the true key is the inclusion of amazing photos like this:

Or this:

/
Or these:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GPTribefan posted:

But the true key is the inclusion of amazing photos like this:

Going to eBay right now to buy this.

EDIT: I was joking but it turns out they're worth $2 so one is now on the way to me.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 15, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do they make normal baseball cards anymore which are just lovely cards designed to be beaten up by a child that have very bad pictures of guys that you won't remember are in the league within 5 years or are they all fancy ones with uniform patches and stuff for old collectors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

do they make normal baseball cards anymore which are just lovely cards designed to be beaten up by a child that have very bad pictures of guys that you won't remember are in the league within 5 years or are they all fancy ones with uniform patches and stuff for old collectors.
I mean regular Topps still exists, but like someone was saying, the market is all messed up right now so even packs of that are overinflated

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the explanation

is stuff like this money laundering or what

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1992-Bow...5.c100752.m1982

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the explanation

is stuff like this money laundering or what

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1992-Bow...5.c100752.m1982
eBay has always had stuff like that to some degree. I have no idea what causes it though.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

The card market has exploded in the last year or so along with a lot of other hobbies because people have money to spend and nowhere to spend it. So the raw boxes are way up in price because people are trying to flip the cards they get in them. Very bizarre to me because regular Topps Series 1 is very vanilla usually.

It hasn't only been this year, after Trout debuted in Topps 2011 Update Series (some other key rookies like Altuve and Rizzo), those boxes and packs shot up in "value," even before they were released. The Judge year was crazy. The Ohtani year was crazy. I've since stopped buying cards in any meaningful way, when the new Topps hits shelves, if any of it is there, I'll pick up a $6 twenty card pack just to check out the design and maybe I'll get a card of a dude I like.

When I was a bit more into it (more into it meaning every third or fourth Wal-Mart or Target trip I'd buy one of the $20 blasters), I did find some incredible stuff, but don't for a second assume any of this is common or likely.

$20 box of 2017 Topps Series 1 (Judge's rookie year), pulled a Judge autograph #XX/25. It came out of the pack with a dinged corner and I still sold it for $925 on eBay.

$6 pack of 2017 Bowman, regular Bowman, not Bowman Chrome, got a Nick Senzel autograph #XX/25, also with a dinged corner. Right now a similar copy is priced at $150, and I sold mine for $310.

Around the same time I stopped at the one card shop left in town and they had a 2011 Topps Update Trout rookie, again with a dinged corner, and it was the blue bordered parallel that you could only find in packs sold at Wal-Mart. I bought it from the guy for $80 and less than a week later got a Buy it Now offer for $450.

I guess maybe the highly valuable but imperfect card market is one I should have dove into.

And I also have a special hatred for the "breakers." It's one thing if you buy a box of cards and want to make a YouTube video in case you get a surprise hit, but gently caress the people who get to pre-purchase from Topps fifty loving cases of whatever new product and just by pure volume increase their chances of getting their hands on the high-value cards, paying their jeweler to assess the quality and making tons of money to do it again. And surprise! Topps only made 200 cases, and one customer just got 25% of the product!

Sorry, I have feelings about baseball cards.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
surely this is what they envisioned when they started putting tattered pictures of baseball stars in cigarette packs shortly after the civil war

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The 1/1 Mike Trout Superfractor autograph sold for almost $4 million.

https://www.beckett.com/news/2009-bowman-chrome-mike-trout-superfractor-sells-for-3-84-million-most-ever-for-baseball-card/

So for the low, low price of $15,000, you could own a Mike Trout autograph, but not the Mike Trout autograph.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/baseball-cards/2012-older/2009-bowman-draft-picks-prospects-baseball-hobby-box.html

Or one of these guys:
BDPP76 Tony Sanchez Auto
BDPP77 Eric Arnett Auto
BDPP78 Tim Wheeler Auto
BDPP79 Matt Hobgood Auto
BDPP80 Matt Bashore Auto
BDPP81 Randal Grichuk Auto
BDPP82 A.J. Pollock Auto
BDPP83 Reymond Fuentes Auto
BDPP84 Jiovanni Mier Auto
BDPP85 Chad Jenkins Auto
BDPP86 Zack Wheeler Auto
BDPP87 Mike Minor Auto
BDPP88 Jared Mitchell Auto
BDPP89 Mike Trout Auto
BDPP90 Alex White Auto
BDPP91 Bobby Borchering Auto
BDPP92 Chad James Auto
BDPP93 Tyler Matzek Auto
BDPP94 Max Stassi Auto
BDPP95 Drew Storen Auto
BDPP96 Brad Boxberger Auto
BDPP97 Mike Leake Auto

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bewbies posted:

surely this is what they envisioned when they started putting tattered pictures of baseball stars in cigarette packs shortly after the civil war

topshots!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

quote:

The perennial MVP candidate has placed a superb, blue ink signature on the obverse of this indescribably desirable, "Superfractors" commemorative.

six-tool player

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gotta be honest -- and this is just cause, as you probably know, the pandemic kinda tightened things up for all of us -- personally I would not pay $15Gs for the autograph of Randal Grichuk or Tyler Matzek, at least not until I get the chance to move some money around.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apparently a dude on the Mets drew 22 pitch walk today and The Defector did an article about it.

https://defector.com/now-here-is-some-baseball-rear end-baseball/

(buy a sub to this awesome employee owned sports/politics site)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

https://www.beckett.com/news/2009-bowman-chrome-mike-trout-superfractor-sells-for-3-84-million-most-ever-for-baseball-card/

So for the low, low price of $15,000, you could own a Mike Trout autograph, but not the Mike Trout autograph.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/baseball-cards/2012-older/2009-bowman-draft-picks-prospects-baseball-hobby-box.html

Or one of these guys:
BDPP76 Tony Sanchez Auto
BDPP77 Eric Arnett Auto
BDPP78 Tim Wheeler Auto
BDPP79 Matt Hobgood Auto
BDPP80 Matt Bashore Auto
BDPP82 A.J. Pollock Auto
BDPP85 Chad Jenkins Auto
BDPP86 Zack Wheeler Auto
BDPP87 Mike Minor Auto
BDPP89 Mike Trout Auto
BDPP90 Alex White Auto
BDPP92 Chad James Auto
BDPP93 Tyler Matzek Auto
BDPP94 Max Stassi Auto
BDPP95 Drew Storen Auto
BDPP97 Mike Leake Auto

so a superfractor is gold and there's only one, and a red refractor is red (duh) and there's only five, and so on? is that the only difference

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Chief McHeath posted:

Or one of these guys:
BDPP76 Tony Sanchez Auto
BDPP77 Eric Arnett Auto
BDPP78 Tim Wheeler Auto
BDPP79 Matt Hobgood Auto
BDPP80 Matt Bashore Auto
BDPP82 A.J. Pollock Auto
BDPP85 Chad Jenkins Auto
BDPP86 Zack Wheeler Auto
BDPP87 Mike Minor Auto
BDPP89 Mike Trout Auto
BDPP90 Alex White Auto
BDPP92 Chad James Auto
BDPP93 Tyler Matzek Auto
BDPP94 Max Stassi Auto
BDPP95 Drew Storen Auto
BDPP97 Mike Leake Auto

So that dude paid 400k for it a few years ago, and still made over 3 mil on it? Jesus loving Christ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

So that dude paid 400k for it a few years ago, and still made over 3 mil on it? Jesus loving Christ
Yeah the market is out of control for the high end stuff

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not baseball but same idea

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Panin...BMAAOSwCuBgRVBu

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

actionjackson posted:

so a superfractor is gold and there's only one, and a red refractor is red (duh) and there's only five, and so on? is that the only difference

Same photo on the card, just with a different border or color. The 1/1 superfractor has a pattern physically printed on the card, I would guess they avoid stamping the pattern over the signature itself. This example is a facsimile signature, yes, they do all of these for the autographed as well as the unautographed cards:

Red is /5, Orange is /25, Gold is /50, different products do different levels at /99, /150, /250, /499. But wait!

Instead of having just a different color, there might also be a Red Wave/5, Orange Wave /25 and so on. Same color, but they have a vertical or angled "wave" underneath the chrome coating.

So the Superfractor 1/1 will be more valuable than the Red Refractor 1/5 will be more valuable than the Red Wave Refractor 1/5 will be more valuable than the Orange Refractor 1/25 will be more valuable than the Orange Wave Refractor 1/25 will be more valuable than the Green Refractor 1/99.

But the retail exclusive Mega Box ($50) also has Retail Exclusive Superfractors and Red and Orange and Green and Blue refractors that might be more valuable because baseball cards don't exist in a fun/collecting space anymore, they exist in an investment space.

Like, Mike Trout is a great. But if I had unlimited funds, I think instead of spending $4m on Trout, I'd spend $5m on a graded PSA 9 Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps like this rear end in a top hat did. But to that end, with unlimited funds, I'd wait for one of the three PSA 10 Mantles.

https://www.beckett.com/news/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-sells-for-5-2-million-highest-ever-for-a-baseball-card/

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If any of youse guys like OOTP, (I know you do, Bewbies), OOTP22 is looking pretty cool. Individual players have a lot more slider settings, like you can select a pitcher and now he has his own individual slider for "pitch around", and everything else.

The new ballparks look gorgeous, they have made some improvements on the 3D animations, and there is some new offshoot of Perfect Team called Perfect Draft that we still don't know the details on.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

MrMojok posted:

If any of youse guys like OOTP, (I know you do, Bewbies), OOTP22 is looking pretty cool. Individual players have a lot more slider settings, like you can select a pitcher and now he has his own individual slider for "pitch around", and everything else.

The new ballparks look gorgeous, they have made some improvements on the 3D animations, and there is some new offshoot of Perfect Team called Perfect Draft that we still don't know the details on.

Oh, this sounds awesome. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thinking the seller in this article might be kicking himself a bit (if he's still around)

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7813/pulp-non-fiction-famous-1952-topps-baseball-find

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I should have included the link for OOTP last video in my previous post. There’s a lot of talky-talky in here but you can see the new ballparks at 22:20, sliders at 29:50

https://youtu.be/kqtwNyaVFQM

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

OOTP owns and anyone with a passing interest in baseball or sports games in general should get it.

Also MLB The Show is the best non-management sports video game and you should get that even if you don't really like baseball or sports video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Going to eBay right now to buy this.

EDIT: I was joking but it turns out they're worth $2 so one is now on the way to me.

I collect silly baseball cards so I did the same.