Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

They just prescribed me prazosin, well, about a month ago but 'just' in the greater scheme of things, is it dropping your BP very much and really rapidly?
I'm having trouble with it making me basically pass out 1/2 an hour after I take but then I wake up about 3 hours later disoriented with blurry vision. Pretty dangerous with my living situation so I've not been taking it as much unless I HAVE to sleep some.
I mentioned it to the clinic that prescribed it and they pretty much shrugged and said that was an 'unexpected result' so I have no idea if that's common or what.
Yeah that's weird. How much are you taking? Did you start at 1mg and titrate up gradually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

They just prescribed me prazosin, well, about a month ago but 'just' in the greater scheme of things, is it dropping your BP very much and really rapidly?
I'm having trouble with it making me basically pass out 1/2 an hour after I take but then I wake up about 3 hours later disoriented with blurry vision. Pretty dangerous with my living situation so I've not been taking it as much unless I HAVE to sleep some.
I mentioned it to the clinic that prescribed it and they pretty much shrugged and said that was an 'unexpected result' so I have no idea if that's common or what.

They started me on 2mg and I haven't had too many problems with it. Maybe a bit light headed sometimes. I have a BP monitor so I can check maybe an hour or so after I take it. I generally take it right before bed. Waking up is ok but I usually sleep a very long time. Well, "sleep." Rather, I'm usually in bed for a very long time.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how many diehard antivaxxers were around during smallpox or polio. Probably not many. Smallpox is estimated to have killed 300 million people in the 20th century alone. And that's just in the first ~2/3-3/4 of the century, since, you know, the last wild case was in 1977.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped.
That doctor's name? Albert Einstein.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I'm confused.

I work for an oncology medical equipment manufacturer in California, we're essential workers since we've been able to work on-site since the start of the pandemic and I've been working on-site every day for the last couple months.
According to the CDC website, medical manufacturers are eligible for phase 1B.

When I try to sign up at Kaiser or myturn.ca.gov, I don't get the option to sign up for an appointment. I've been signing up as critical manufacturing, but I know a couple co-workers have been getting vaccinated by signing up as healthcare workers and getting the vaccine, but that seems wrong since "healthcare worker" implies patient-facing to me. Apparently they haven't been asking for verification, so there hasn't been an issue when my co-workers go in.
Am I signing up for this wrong or am I really not eligible for the vaccine yet?

I don't want to take vaccine from someone at higher risk by jumping the line but I also don't want to miss out on protecting myself if I should be getting it earlier, especially since there's a "use it or lose it" factor to the current phizer/moderna vaccines.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
NSW has its first community transmitted case in 55 days. I thought we'd stopped people working at multiple vulnerable locations but this person was working at two quarantine hotels.

Unlike the Brisbane doctor, this person had received their first dose of vaccine.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

yook posted:

I'm confused.

I work for an oncology medical equipment manufacturer in California, we're essential workers since we've been able to work on-site since the start of the pandemic and I've been working on-site every day for the last couple months.

When I try to sign up at Kaiser or myturn.ca.gov, I don't get the option to sign up for an appointment. I've been signing up as critical manufacturing, but I know a couple co-workers have been getting vaccinated by signing up as healthcare workers and getting the vaccine, but that seems wrong since "healthcare worker" implies patient-facing to me. Apparently they haven't been asking for verification, so there hasn't been an issue when my co-workers go in.

I don't want to take vaccine from someone at higher risk by jumping the line but I also don't want to miss out on protecting myself if I should be getting it earlier, especially since there's a "use it or lose it" factor to the current phizer/moderna vaccines.
I'm also in CA. I fit into Phase 1A because of my work and put "Healthcare Worker" when I signed up through CVS (note, they take Kaiser insurance..and you have to use Chrome on that site) because none of the other options fit. One of my coworkers was asked to show verification of employment. Another one was asked where he works but didn't have to prove it. Nobody asked me anything. I still took a proof of employment form that I printed out through our HR software.

Current state guidelines are here: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/VaccineAllocationGuidelines.aspx. If you're sure you are eligible via those guidelines, I'm not sure it really matters what category you enter when you sign up. You're either eligible or you're not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ll send an angry email to all the amazon COVID response people with that type of stuff when I get to work on Tuesday. Doubt it’ll get anywhere but :shrug:

The only only way to get a response from a major corporation is to be Twitter famous and publicly call them out.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah that's weird. How much are you taking? Did you start at 1mg and titrate up gradually?

They started me on 2mg at bedtime but I've only seen the clinic once since and they said to keep it at the same dose.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

yook posted:

Phases are effectively a layered system with a bunch of local discretion built in. CDC publishes general guidelines, and then states can tweak from there, and then counties (or in some cases local governments) tweak from there, as vaccine supply and need dictate. The end result is kind of a mess of conflicting "yes you can no you can't." When in doubt, start at your most local level's information.

e.g. Here, counties can choose to vaccinate bus drivers and manufacturing workers out-of-phase (because both the CDC and the State allow for it), but nobody is because there's already not enough vaccine supply for the state's current Pre-1B phase.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

They started me on 2mg at bedtime but I've only seen the clinic once since and they said to keep it at the same dose.
That is weird, I'm sorry, that sucks!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the classics.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
2nd shot isn't no joke . Got Moderna, started feeling bad around 5 oclock , took some tylenol and am feeling better. I was not expecting it to hit me that fast. Drinking lots of fluids and trying to relax.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat; sounds like hell - rip

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They started me on 2mg and I haven't had too many problems with it. Maybe a bit light headed sometimes. I have a BP monitor so I can check maybe an hour or so after I take it. I generally take it right before bed. Waking up is ok but I usually sleep a very long time. Well, "sleep." Rather, I'm usually in bed for a very long time.

9:16pm: BP 134/85, HR 85
10:29pm: BP 124/75 HR 75

Not a massive difference but definitely a difference nonetheless. It's also just getting later at night.

Big caveat, they just put me on gabapentin since I went to the hospital on Tuesday and that can lower your BP I think. Although the onset of gabapentin is 2-3 hours and prazosin is 30-90 minutes so it should only really show the results of Prazosin. My sleep meds are now 2mg of prazosin, 600mg of gabapentin (and 5mg of melatonin).

Sorry for the derail.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m 36 hours into a headache after the AZ vaccine, fun fact; my nana was born on the same day as the Queen and is on a mission to out live her for “stealing my birthday”, so I’m happy to be mildly inconvenienced to help her.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

9:16pm: BP 134/85, HR 85
10:29pm: BP 124/75 HR 75

Not a massive difference but definitely a difference nonetheless. It's also just getting later at night.

Big caveat, they just put me on gabapentin since I went to the hospital on Tuesday and that can lower your BP I think. Although the onset of gabapentin is 2-3 hours and prazosin is 30-90 minutes so it should only really show the results of Prazosin. My sleep meds are now 2mg of prazosin, 600mg of gabapentin (and 5mg of melatonin).

Sorry for the derail.

No, it's cool, i asked. Your BP was only in the mid 130s and they put you on it? Wow, mine was like, 160something over 110 last time I was in, I didn't even know I had high BP until then. I was thinking it was messing me up because it was dropping it so much but I don't have a cuff or a machine.
Yeah I guess it's the prazosin making me drop off because it's usually 1/2 an hour, 45 minutes after I take it that I just drop.
Thank you for the info, I hope you feel better soon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

yook posted:

I'm confused.

sigh up as healthcare

stop worrying about someone else dying when everyone is dying

Zugzwang posted:

I'm also in CA. I fit into Phase 1A because of my work and put "Healthcare Worker" when I signed up through CVS (note, they take Kaiser insurance..and you have to use Chrome on that site) because none of the other options fit. One of my coworkers was asked to show verification of employment. Another one was asked where he works but didn't have to prove it. Nobody asked me anything. I still took a proof of employment form that I printed out through our HR software.

Current state guidelines are here: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/VaccineAllocationGuidelines.aspx. If you're sure you are eligible via those guidelines, I'm not sure it really matters what category you enter when you sign up. You're either eligible or you're not.

to add to this it's a crap shoot

sometimes they ask sometimes they dont. Have your papers ready but don't volunteer info unless they ask for it. If they reject you even though you're eligible dig your feet in and if that doesn't work get an appointment somewhere else

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 14, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I read an article this morning about how "back to normal" things have been in Florida for months now and DeSantis gloating about it and man that poo poo makes me so mad. The article points out that Florida is doing pretty poorly with regards to cases and vaccinations but remains pretty neutral on the subject. It's just like reading about people and places on an entirely other plane of existence from mine and it all upsets me so much. :sigh:

We're so close to being past the worst of this but places like Florida and people like DeSantis just want so badly to gently caress everyone over by pretending there's no pandemic if they can gain even a smidgen of political clout from it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t understand how they decided to pretend the coronavirus doesn’t exist or whatever in order to gain political points. I could see them lying about data or whatever but being aggressively anti-mask is the absolute dumbest response to the coronavirus.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jokes posted:

I don’t understand how they decided to pretend the coronavirus doesn’t exist or whatever in order to gain political points. I could see them lying about data or whatever but being aggressively anti-mask is the absolute dumbest response to the coronavirus.

Well it's Florida, so absolute stupidity is rewarded. They rely on the tourism industry and saying OPEN ER UP is going to encourage people like that 22 y/o in the article who "was stuck inside a year and just had to get away" to come down for a week of fun in the sun without masks on because hey I'm on vacation! Those that do catch Covid that are visiting go back home and make people sick while DeSantis gets to tout booming business and gloat about how overblown everything is because see how good business is??

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

a girl that i was in grad school with got vaccinated way ahead of her group and posted a duck face selfie with her vaccine card in a braggadocious manner and for some reason that makes me irrationally angry

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

a girl that i was in grad school with got vaccinated way ahead of her group and posted a duck face selfie with her vaccine card in a braggadocious manner and for some reason that makes me irrationally angry

Reminds me of the IG influencers who so tone deafly took pictures in front of looted and boarded stores during the riots last year.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

jokes posted:

but being aggressively anti-mask is the absolute dumbest response to the coronavirus.
Trump was pushing the anti-mask/denialist stuff pretty early and did an awful lot for making this issue as political as it unnecessarily is here in the US. Not sure why he did it, aside from maybe he was myopically prioritizing THE ECONOMY in the name of getting re-elected and wound up getting neither.

Other Republican politicians had to fall in line because they'd get penalized hard for opposing their party's god-king. They largely haven't broken from their original messaging here because their base doesn't want to hear the truth.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 14, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

explosivo posted:

I read an article this morning about how "back to normal" things have been in Florida for months now and DeSantis gloating about it and man that poo poo makes me so mad. The article points out that Florida is doing pretty poorly with regards to cases and vaccinations but remains pretty neutral on the subject. It's just like reading about people and places on an entirely other plane of existence from mine and it all upsets me so much. :sigh:

We're so close to being past the worst of this but places like Florida and people like DeSantis just want so badly to gently caress everyone over by pretending there's no pandemic if they can gain even a smidgen of political clout from it.

Also remember that a covid-19 data scientist was arrested for publishing the real numbers! They also served a warrant to take her computers and when she said her husband and child were in their house the cops pulled their guns out! It's on her security camera video but I can't find it atm.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

naem posted:

our society is sick and we need to revolt, in the form of voting in representatives who pass laws for people over profits

lol

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Trump was pushing the anti-mask/denialist stuff pretty early and did an awful lot for making this issue as political as it unnecessarily is here in the US. Not sure why he did it, aside from maybe he was myopically prioritizing THE ECONOMY in the name of getting re-elected and wound up getting neither.

Other Republican politicians had to fall in line because they'd get penalized hard for opposing their party's god-king. They largely haven't broken from their original messaging here because their base doesn't want to hear the truth.

The reflection of the guy scratching his rear end in this photo gets me every time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the story with the AZ blood clots?
I notice that the Twitter trolls with mental conspiracy poo poo all over their timeline all know multiple people in hospital with clots on the brain. Lol.

naem
May 29, 2011

ohio dot jpeg

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That anger isn't irrational

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If she's in CA for example, she pushed ahead of me personally. loving bitch

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Spinz posted:

If she's in CA for example, she pushed ahead of me personally. loving bitch

I always laugh at your AV. Is that a religious Trump supporter?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Spinz posted:

That anger isn't irrational

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it kind of is because there are places that will vaccinate anyone so if you can take advantage of that, why not? i doubt she bribed someone or like actually "stole" grandmas spot

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, there’s tons of places where they ended up throwing out vaccines because of missed appointments so if there’s extra or you do a shift volunteering at a distribution center to skip the line, nothing wrong with that. Prioritizing old people first is dumb in the long term anyway, you’ll save more olds by lowering spread and the best way to do that is vaccinating the people most likely to spread it (and yes the data is showing the vaccine cuts down on spread significantly, don’t give me the months old “we don’t know if it stops you from spreading it” poo poo)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yeah, there’s tons of places where they ended up throwing out vaccines because of missed appointments so if there’s extra or you do a shift volunteering at a distribution center to skip the line, nothing wrong with that. Prioritizing old people first is dumb in the long term anyway, you’ll save more olds by lowering spread and the best way to do that is vaccinating the people most likely to spread it (and yes the data is showing the vaccine cuts down on spread significantly, don’t give me the months old “we don’t know if it stops you from spreading it” poo poo)

Olds vote.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

(and yes the data is showing the vaccine cuts down on spread significantly, don’t give me the months old “we don’t know if it stops you from spreading it” poo poo)

Careful there, you're treading dangerously close to optimism.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

But surely the point is that while the precise effect on spread is unknowable (certainly at the start of the vaccination programme), effect on preventing hospitalisation and death is very much known, so - assuming the goal is to minimise the total amount of serious illness and death - you give the vaccine first to those most likely to die if they catch it.

Like assume a perfect vaccine that both completely prevents illness and completely stops spread of an illness that is 100% fatal in over-80s but not fatal at all in under-80s. If 10% of your population is over 80, vaccinating them prevents all deaths much quicker than vaccinating enough of the 90% of the population to have an effect on spread.

Obviously that's an *extreme* oversimplification, but ultimately a jab in the arm *does* reduce risk significantly for the person jabbed, while you need an unknown but almost definitely >1 amount of jabs in other arms to protect that person to the same extent. This goes double when the disease is already actively circulating in the population.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

What’s the story with the AZ blood clots?
I notice that the Twitter trolls with mental conspiracy poo poo all over their timeline all know multiple people in hospital with clots on the brain. Lol.

It's like every thing tied to the vaccines, thousands and thousands get the vaccine and then a handful of people get blood clots/other side effects, and the media goes into a frenzy.

Here in Norway, so far, 3 people have gotten the AZ vaccine and also gotten blood clots. Which is of course TERRIBLE AND OH NO VACCINES ARE KILLING US bad, even though blood clots aren't that uncommon in the first place.
You get a couple cases per 1000 people per year, so it's statistically probable that someone who gets the vaccine will also get a blood clot, especially as the amount of vaccinated people increase.
edit: Per now there's been used ~122,000 doses of the AZ vaccine here, and 3 people have been hospitalized with clots at some point after getting it. Not exactly damning evidence of a connection between the vaccine and clots.

Some places have put the vaccinations on hold until further notice while checking things out.
But it's very possible it's just like the 'OMG ELDERS ARE DYING FROM VACCINE!!!!!!' where some people who are already weak/sick get strong side effects, and get ill due to it.

It's all part and parcel with the vaccination 'skeptics', you vaccinate 100,000 people and the 10 people that die get 1000x as much attention as the 10,000 people who had their life saved / avoided hospitalization. :shrug:
It's where the vaccination hoaxers thrive, even though the total sum of suffering and death is massively reduced compared to if the vaccines didn't exist.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 14, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does the first COVID dose provide any protection or is it all just prep for the second dose? Living in a multigenerational household with comorbidities and we all just received the first shot, but I'm having to do a lot of travel to different hospitals. We're not changing anything we're doing as far as playing it safe, but I can't not go to the hospital so just curious on how much risk I may be putting family in now until our second shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

PageMaster posted:

Does the first COVID dose provide any protection or is it all just prep for the second dose? Living in a multigenerational household with comorbidities and we all just received the first shot, but I'm having to do a lot of travel to different hospitals. We're not changing anything we're doing as far as playing it safe, but I can't not go to the hospital so just curious on how much risk I may be putting family in now until our second shots.

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadviso...%20to%2060.6%25).

Significant protection after the first dose.