Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think they added offline stuff to stone story a few months ago, but it only kicks in after the game's story is over. Though like 99% of the game is after that, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I kinda feel like jumping back into idle loops for a bit, and I see someone else has done some tinkering after the original dev abandoned it... is there a consensus on which version is better?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

postmodifier posted:

Accepted you, but for anyone else in need, pizza is free is the place to be!

We're about to hit guild level 20 this weekend, so plenty of slots and good bonuses available.

For "put the points in these to be the best at x" you'll want the guides over at the Idelon Toolbox:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cY3vg1Z-AgOtIcV128D6kSLQRJE_-MUMtyqW0086Zmk/edit?usp=sharing

It's maintained by the top theory people on Discord and the builds themselves are curated by the #1 top-leveled player so you can trust in their legitimacy, but as a result they tend to focus on idle gains above all else.

There's a few active builds on there, but in general early game you want to have as much accuracy as you need to 100% hit what you're killing or working towards killing, as much weapon power and damage percentage bonus as you can get after that, and at least 1 point in every active skill.

What you focus on after that depends if you're playing active or afk. Levels are more important than anything else, because the higher your level the more talent points you get to spend and the more character slots you unlock.

I sent a request as my character named erlaely, but I'm not certain I did it right.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Just wanted to pop in and say if you haven't given it a shot, do check out Ethereal Farm (https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/) which was mentioned a bit ago. Seems quite polished so far, not very active, has a chill vibe and the dev seems very active. Just wanted to get more attention on it since it seems to have very low userbase.

Oh lord, my account will be 20 years old this year. That's terrifying.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the programming suggestions!

It largely mirrors what i have read elsewhere, with the exception that Python is also mentioned when you check this topic for more general purposes.
I have no idea which to pick. I assume its preposterous to learn all 3? (JS, C#, Python)

Python + webpages is often mentioned, why is python not used for idlers?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the programming suggestions!

It largely mirrors what i have read elsewhere, with the exception that Python is also mentioned when you check this topic for more general purposes.
I have no idea which to pick. I assume its preposterous to learn all 3? (JS, C#, Python)

Python + webpages is often mentioned, why is python not used for idlers?

You could use Python, but it's a server-side language so you'd need a lot of server power to run things in it if your game got popular. Imagine having to run the idle game for everyone playing it on your own server (this is kind of how MMO's work, btw). It is possible to write GUI applications with it that run on the desktop, but packaging/distribution/licensing is not trivial.

The reason JS is used is because it all runs in the user's browser. All the web server has to do is serve the files. That's why you see so many hosted on github.io. Both Python and C# are good for making servers, but that code runs on your servers not the user's computer.

Learning all 3 over a bit of time is certainly possible. I've been paid to use all 3 at certain points in my career. JS has become more popular, though. I think JS is probably easiest to get started because it's pretty trivial to dump out some widgets on a page and start using the DOM to modify them in response to mouse clicks. But you also probably want to learn TypeScript instead at some point because JS is... idiosyncratic.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Who do I message for an invite to Pizza is Free?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onion Rings posted:

Oh lord, my account will be 20 years old this year. That's terrifying.
some people paid for 9/11 regdates and you nearly got one for free :911:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Lilli posted:

Go into Codex, Guilds, click the 'join guild' or 'request invite' or whatever the button is called, type in "pizza is free" and click the green check. You won't get any confirmation or anything saying the request went through. The guild leader (or an officer or something? idk how it works) has to approve the request, then you'll just suddenly be in the guild.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Lilli posted:

No need to message anyone just request an invite through the in-game guild menu - you gotta type pizza is free in all lowercase, though.

I can't log on to accept it for another 4 hours or so, but I'll process it then.

Speaking of, the dev did a livestream last night announcing the top 25 guilds ranked by their generated experience points since launch, and we came in at #8 which is pretty impressive!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I might be bouncing off Idleon here pretty soon. I liked the idea and structure, and when I first started getting up to 3 days' worth of boss keys I thought hey, that's a good way to time-gate progression without actually requiring me to log in just to click a thing every single day. Then I unlocked the post office and joined a guild, and now the game is just a set chores I have to log in and do every day. I can't even post about it on the discord where it might be seen, because apparently my occasional chattering hasn't been enough to reach 'poop' status yet. I don't know if I should stay in the guild or not if I'm only occasionally and haphazardly getting GP.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

zzMisc posted:

I might be bouncing off Idleon here pretty soon. I liked the idea and structure, and when I first started getting up to 3 days' worth of boss keys I thought hey, that's a good way to time-gate progression without actually requiring me to log in just to click a thing every single day. Then I unlocked the post office and joined a guild, and now the game is just a set chores I have to log in and do every day. I can't even post about it on the discord where it might be seen, because apparently my occasional chattering hasn't been enough to reach 'poop' status yet. I don't know if I should stay in the guild or not if I'm only occasionally and haphazardly getting GP.

Don't worry about gp generation, just being as active as you can and turning in dailies as you're able is fine by me for now. There's a maximum of 470 a week that you can actively generate, but just by being in the guild you contribute 10 a day passively. Don't worry about daily tasks anyway, a lot of them can't reasonably be completed until you're much higher levelled, and you'll be happier be just focusing on playing the game the way you want and not burning out trying to check off every box every day.

There's a very big content patch coming in about two weeks adding a new world, a bunch of new skills, 5 more character slots, and a ton of automation mechanics that will streamline a lot of early progression, so even if you take a break now it should be comparatively trivial to catch up later.

As for official discord, if you'd rather shoot the breeze in guild chat we finally put a server together, so come hang out in

https://discord.gg/n8AFKAjtFe

instead?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Idleon is coming to steam in a month or two also, isn't it?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In NGU IDLE I've gotten to the point where I can auto defeat Walderp when he shows up. But I'm wondering if I should go with the Wanderer's Set or the S'rerednaw Set or which items to combine. I'm not sure if Energy or Magic would be best to boost with equipment at this stage.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man I haven't hate-played a game until I loved it like Matter Dimensions in a long time.

To the atomic layer and it's pretty fun and engaging, but again, rough early game.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm leaving the game running and collecting inertia upgrades

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Man I haven't hate-played a game until I loved it like Matter Dimensions in a long time.

To the atomic layer and it's pretty fun and engaging, but again, rough early game.

I loved the concept but I stopped when I realized that on every dimensional reset, I'd have to click the gravitronic reset about 50 times while going through all the layers again. And the autobuyer only allows a fixed number.
Basically, by that point in an idle game I expect at least the first layer, if not the first two, to have automatic income.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 14, 2021

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, grinding out the gravitonic meta challenge was a lifesaver for me. Flipping through the discord it sounds like the developer wasn't personally bothered by the late automation and didn't realize that it's a serious issue until releasing it. It sounds like making it more accessible that way is on the table but for now there's a lot of spam you have to do.

i don't mind as much as I might just because it's an extremely active game (I would be loathe to call it an idler at all) but it's deffo the worst part of the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't have a problem with the active part of it, it's just soooo much samey resets. I'm the guy who liked the big resets in Incrementreeverse but at least there you don't have to do the exact same reset dozens of times to get back to the layer, you just have to click a whole lot of upgrades and hold enter on some buyables. Like I said though the concept is great, I love the :haw: moment I got when I realized just how strong the "boosts are based on maximum gravitons" upgrade was.
I'm a few upgrades into Dimensional, how close am I to the meta challenge? And what exactly does that give you?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Gravitonic meta-challenge gives you the autobuyer for gravitonic upgrades. It's not feasible until you're fairly deep into the next layer (which feels really good for those leaps forward).

Also for, I think, 10k shards you can get the 'gain gravitons as soon as you can without reset' from the automation shop; this is worth getting as soon as that amount sounds like something you can feasibly grind out. That and buy max makes things less painful cause you can just click in to gravitons and mash M a few times but the autobuyer is where it's at.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
You can even hold M instead of mashing it. But right now I'm at the point where I'm working on my 5th point of collision knowledge, having sneakily obtained the wave autobuyer because it's apparently permanent, but the actual element attached to the unlock is not yet worth losing more Hydrogen levels.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

neongrey posted:

Gravitonic meta-challenge gives you the autobuyer for gravitonic upgrades. It's not feasible until you're fairly deep into the next layer (which feels really good for those leaps forward).

Also for, I think, 10k shards you can get the 'gain gravitons as soon as you can without reset' from the automation shop; this is worth getting as soon as that amount sounds like something you can feasibly grind out. That and buy max makes things less painful cause you can just click in to gravitons and mash M a few times but the autobuyer is where it's at.

Man, I thought you had to be way into the layer like two or three AFTER Gravitronic to get the meta-achievement. I might give it another shot.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, I thought you had to be way into the layer like two or three AFTER Gravitronic to get the meta-achievement. I might give it another shot.

Yeah, same here. Does it just take a lot of waiting?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ignoranus posted:

Yeah, same here. Does it just take a lot of waiting?

You have to keep doing photonic resets then max-buying matter dimensions. I AHK scripted it and walked away for an hour or two, but I think I was pretty deep into dimensional or atomic by then.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You can do it at 4-5 cp into Atomic-- what it really takes is manually running photonic resets for a while. I set up a macro on my mouse to chain hitting 1 and P to help me squeeze it out early. You will want/need the full neutronic path down the four-way split in the vacuumic tree as well-- grind up neutronic dimensions and build up as many stars as you can. You will also obviously want your temperature running as hot as possible. Green waves over a hundred helps a ton, as do your other waves.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i had 6qa power and 4qa toughness but it wouldn't autokill nerd v2. weird

e: oh i guess the wiki lied and it's 10/5

Aurora fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 15, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Oh hey glad to know I’m not the only one who stuck with Matter Dimensions. I just reached the current endgame as defined by the dev (9 CP, e24 atoms).

It’s definitely got some cool ideas in the vacuumic and up layers, but I find it hard to recommend to others in its current state. The dev sounds receptive to making automation more available, e.g. making autobuyers come earlier and changing the meta challenge rewards to “always keep x upgrades”. If that happens, then it’d be another solid incremental game, though definitely not an idler.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Heliotrope posted:

In NGU IDLE I've gotten to the point where I can auto defeat Walderp when he shows up. But I'm wondering if I should go with the Wanderer's Set or the S'rerednaw Set or which items to combine. I'm not sure if Energy or Magic would be best to boost with equipment at this stage.

Been a long time but iirc you want energy for energy NGUs

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Yeah there's no real trick with the Walderp sets, you'll get and max them both.

The good tip I do recall from that part of the game is: Keep a max brown cane, and green it, even while you're building the better cane. The brown cane will max/green at better Adv stats than you'll achieve with the better cane. So just keep both until it's clear that BOTH are outmoded (it'll be very clear when this is true).

EDIT: oh the reverse boots will stay in your inventory till the end of the game, so don't toss those!

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 15, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Aurora posted:

i had 6qa power and 4qa toughness but it wouldn't autokill nerd v2. weird

e: oh i guess the wiki lied and it's 10/5

You can see the requirements if you mouseover the zone name in the adventure screen

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah but then i miss out on crucial drops :mad:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Not sure how that is related?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it was a lame excuse about wasting my time switching off fighting things somewhere to check autokill requirements

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Finally! It's taking some potion use so it's not completely sustainable, but I finally have my first taste of being able to Cap All NGU's on Sadistic!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

JavaJesus posted:

Finally! It's taking some potion use so it's not completely sustainable, but I finally have my first taste of being able to Cap All NGU's on Sadistic!

nice! how far along are you, titan-wise?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

JavaJesus posted:

Post your NGU stats breakdown tab! I want to know how long I have before I can hope for such a feat. I can reliably cap the first couple, or maybe one of the more expensive ones if it's at a lower level, but definitely not all.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
as a super not optimal player I'm about to finish my last 5 wishes and will probably be there after when I south to ask ngu gear. generally though by the time you're anywhere near bb most of what if gives you isn't great. I've had capped exp and ygg for months and most of the stats I need are just fine without the stuff ngus give you in sad. they're weirdly better at the front end

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Aurora posted:

it was a lame excuse about wasting my time switching off fighting things somewhere to check autokill requirements

Its in the same screen as where you are autokilling the boss, so no time is wasted.

Unless i am missing a joke here.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

if i wanted to check the autokill stats unless the titan is up at the time i'm swapping out of whatever adventure zone i'm currently in to sit there for a few seconds, it wasn't really that deep

i think i'm at a wall in matter dimensions at e68 matter, what's the best way to go about gravitonic challenges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Spokes posted:

nice! how far along are you, titan-wise?
I've got the maxxed items for Rock Lobster V2, and I'm trying to see if I can extend this already long rebirth to push up to V3. I also just finished getting the gear for the Duck Zone.

Akratic Method posted:

Post your NGU stats breakdown tab! I want to know how long I have before I can hope for such a feat. I can reliably cap the first couple, or maybe one of the more expensive ones if it's at a lower level, but definitely not all.

Of course, like I thought last night it's definitely not sustainable. Just overnight, keeping everything at 150% of cap took another couple quintillion Energy/Magic. Once my current potions run out I might use one more set of the 24 hour E/M potions and try to finish the push to Rock Lobster V3, but aside from that and maybe a Hack day I think I'm approaching a return to daily rebirths for XP to buff E/M stats.