Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

*bursts into thread 18th centuryishly*

Why is selling babies for food a good thing? There is nothing modest about this proposal at all you fools, you cretins, you Lilliputian yahoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Home ownership for under 65s, so your nonboomers, is still 57%. That's plenty to carry an election when you add in all the strivers.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Elections aren't going to be engines of change anyway unless something else radically changes first. Look at how the tools and organs of the ruling class, the mechanisms of government which should have meant something happened when a line was transgressed and the liberal intelligentia and media who should have resisted the course that British society has set itself on, all revealed their class position over the last 6 years and at best did nothing, at worst cheered it on. Go back and read my post about the role of the state in class society, it's not just a doomer post, it's explaining the active forces in society.

Anyway remember last year when that copper on the horse charged into the traffic light? Good times.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Niric posted:

*bursts into thread 18th centuryishly*

Why is selling babies for food a good thing? There is nothing modest about this proposal at all you fools, you cretins, you Lilliputian yahoos

You've only been in London ten minutes 😂

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

Had my Astra Zeneca injection this morning.

It was alright.

Word of warning, it took about a day for side effects to appear. Got bad chills for about an hour then about two days of fatigue. It wasn't super bad but it came on very quickly. They say these common side effects are like 1 in 10 so you may or may not get them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
was 3 days before pfizer side effects hit me suddenly in the middle of a saturday and they lasted near 2 weeks lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongooses."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongeese."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me a mongoose. Actually, make it two."

late but it's one mongoose, two mongsgoose

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I kind of want to crowdfund a massive statue of karl marx directly in front of every MPs house

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I kind of want to crowdfund a massive statue of karl marx directly in front of every MPs house

Surely would be easier to put all MPs inside a giant Wicker Marx?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I think a possible hole in the longevity of that state is the lovely graph that shows that millenials own absolutely jack poo poo and have no money, so they are very unlikely to be "doing well"

It may be a state of mind but it is a state of mind that is heavily created by material conditions, conditions which are rapidly vanishing for everyone outside the increasingly retracting drawbridge.

There's still gonna be plenty of people who will be very comfortable once their parents die and leave them a house or 3. Plenty for whom that's not gonna happen, but as we can clearly see, not everyone has to be comfortable, just about, oh let's call it 40% of the voting population?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/hardeep_matharu/status/1370889708104998918?s=21

lol, jesus gently caress

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Regarde Aduck posted:

Word of warning, it took about a day for side effects to appear. Got bad chills for about an hour then about two days of fatigue. It wasn't super bad but it came on very quickly. They say these common side effects are like 1 in 10 so you may or may not get them.

Oxford AZ for me I fell a bit poo poo for a day but now I’m 39 hours 20 minutes into a headache that won’t sod off.
I had covid a year ago and for all my complaining it’s no where near as bad as the real thing, and I got to wonder how dangerous getting it again would have been if I’m reacting to the vaccine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1371019326313148419?s=21

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Seems like an odd thing to clarify

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ed Miliband's forthcoming book will have to bear warning label: contains no policies that will be implemented by any party

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

who? :/

mrs trunchbull?

rita repulsa?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

was 3 days before pfizer side effects hit me suddenly in the middle of a saturday and they lasted near 2 weeks lol

Yours might actually protect you from the variants they’re going to get bored of containing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh yeah i was very glad of it, not complaining. just putting it out there that there's big variation in side effects

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Talking about adding boosters for the new variants into a combined yearly flu shot for the olds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miftan posted:

There's still gonna be plenty of people who will be very comfortable once their parents die and leave them a house or 3. Plenty for whom that's not gonna happen, but as we can clearly see, not everyone has to be comfortable, just about, oh let's call it 40% of the voting population?

I'd like to think that inheriting a home won't suddenly turn every young person and leftie into a FYGM type. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and naïve but I have to cling to the belief that my generation and those after will be better.

Not to mention the fact that inheritance is going to get more and more diluted over the next few generations as living costs rise and people living longer need to pay out the nose for more care with dwindling state support.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wonder what the geographic allocation of the mRNA vaccines was. The evenness. And if AZ can’t keep up with the variants, how long before people have to pay to get working ones. Oh boy this could get so bad.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

who? :/

mrs trunchbull?

rita repulsa?

I'm sure she'll find a serbian war criminal to do the job

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1371060342776823808?s=21

Starmer folded.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I wonder if these rumours might prompt Boris to finally do his reshuffle

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Amazing seeing all the clownshoes on twitter screaming about the redhead in the photos being an actress. You know who else was an actress, don't you? :megadeath:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Good.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all for Priti to use this to get her Dick out and replace her with someone even worse. It’s the police so I’m sure there is no shortage of candidates.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1371063795427246082?s=19

At any time, really, but it's something I guess

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

-Feel like poo poo, just want him back- intensifies.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Quite impressed they managed to find a focus group on a saturday evening to be honest.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Decades of institutional racism, political violence, illegal detainments and open gangsterism and corruption and it only took one protest by white women to get the whole system changed.

Now that's what I call girlpower!

Narrator: Actually, things took a turn for the worse

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flayer posted:

Narrator: Actually, things took a turn for the worse

The only thing that will change is Labour and Tories both going full ~tough on crime~

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1371064349595426816

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Is there some reason Jess Phillips was in Central London on a Sunday morning, other than to make sure she could get in front of a camera?
I'm pretty sure travel is still restricted for non-essential business.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Niric posted:

Where was all this very useful information and links about renting moving boxes a week ago?!

Related: London tap water sucks

It's terrible, especially if you have an aquarium you like to keep clean. The amount of effort I put into declogging the poo poo out of my water pump every 2 weeks is insane. Brita filters are essential.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

I'd like to think that inheriting a home won't suddenly turn every young person and leftie into a FYGM type. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and naïve but I have to cling to the belief that my generation and those after will be better.

Not to mention the fact that inheritance is going to get more and more diluted over the next few generations as living costs rise and people living longer need to pay out the nose for more care with dwindling state support.

I broadly agree, but to your first point: Most people aren't lefties - they're politically unengaged, and it's very easy to turn someone like that into a FYGM type, imo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think a possible hole in the longevity of that state is the lovely graph that shows that millenials own absolutely jack poo poo and have no money, so they are very unlikely to be "doing well"

It may be a state of mind but it is a state of mind that is heavily created by material conditions, conditions which are rapidly vanishing for everyone outside the increasingly retracting drawbridge.

The really animating question of the wealth of millennials (and gen x tbf) is going to be pensions. Right now we're still in the period where most retired people have some income from defined benefit pensions accrued in their working life. Or if they do only have the state pension, they at least tend to have owned their home outright for a long time.

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

There's going to be an enormous , social conflict-inducing wealth gap between people who worked in the public sector and are able to retire and people who worked in the private sector and never can.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

A large dead rat stuck in a wall/loft/floor will smell bad for a surprisingly long time yet yield little clue to exactly where it is for easy removal

Electrical labouring work had some pretty gruesome moments in that regard

This a thousand times this. Do NOT put poison down yourself. Had my landlord do this in uni as we lived in terraced housing and the rat was running in the gaps between the floorboards. It'd wake me up scrabbling at night. It was a huge fucker. Had a run that ended in our kitchen where it'd come down from the ceiling and sit under the kitchen table. Students eh.

The landlord poisoned it and it loving died under the sofa in the living room, which was off the kitchen (I think it was starting a nest in the sofa) We then had to scrape it off the floor with a shovel.

Later we found the rest of them died in the walls and then came the flies. Not Fun.

I can't even begin to describe the cloying, awful, unbelievable nose rending, can't breathe, smell. It's a smell you never forget as there's nothing else like it. It permeated the house and we had to have the carpets and sofa completely changed as it still reeked.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 14, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Marmaduke! posted:

Amazing seeing all the clownshoes on twitter screaming about the redhead in the photos being an actress. You know who else was an actress, don't you? :megadeath:

H... hitler?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/lukecooper100/status/1371073371740516354?s=21

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Very close (according to our valiant press) - the clue is in the first three letters of the smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

This, plus timings. My last remaining grandparent just died recently, leaving behind nothing because all her assets had gone to the (excellent) £1000 a week care home where she spent the last few years of her life with alzheimers. If she'd died like her husband - quickly and at home - there'd be some money. It's totally random who gets what (which is another good reason for inheritance not being a thing).

Point being, I (early-mid 30s millennial) have only just lots my last grandparent, and if we're lucky, my siblings and I wouldn't inherit anything from my parents for another 30 years or so. Add in the dilution of 3 siblings, and it's not a very reliable or helpful method for an entire generation to get on the "housing ladder". Which leads onto...

peanut- posted:

The really animating question of the wealth of millennials (and gen x tbf) is going to be pensions. Right now we're still in the period where most retired people have some income from defined benefit pensions accrued in their working life. Or if they do only have the state pension, they at least tend to have owned their home outright for a long time.

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

There's going to be an enormous , social conflict-inducing wealth gap between people who worked in the public sector and are able to retire and people who worked in the private sector and never can.

Not only sucky DC pensions, but also having to pay rent out of them, which isn't ever allowed to go down. It's a massive timebomb that no politician will ever care about until it hits.