Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

*walks into a graveyard*

I’ll just cut this grass to see if there’s anything...

*music starts*

Oh no. OH NO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

*walks into a graveyard*

I’ll just cut this grass to see if there’s anything...

*music starts*

Oh no. OH NO!

Hey, someone else fell for that one. Woulda been mad if not for auto save.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did that too.
I'd not cut any grass in 30 hours until then but that one patch looked especially alluring to cut.

I've finished everything up in the game now and I'd say it's a good/very good game overall.
I prefer the first two, and to say this was the triumphant return of Revo to the soundtrack duties, it doesn't really touch the first game's OST in memorability or bangers.

But the first game has an all time great soundtrack so maybe that's unfair.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When can I get to BnD rank A? I’ve been stuck at B for a while. I just started chapter 4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Farg posted:

i agree with basically all the story complaints, but basically the deal with seth was

to get to where nights nexus' actual core was, you needed to cross the outer ocean. the Old Lady mentions that you can't traverse the outer oceans to other lands (which are described as lands beyond death) without someone from there. seth was a sailor from another world who died in a storm. because the barriers were weakening between worlds, the wind crystal was able to reach out and bring him back (either bring him back to life or make a zombie out of him, either or really) and basically bet on him being a good warrior of light, because it knew that if the champions of light were to really get rid of the nexus for good, they'd need someone fitting his description. thankfully it worked out that seth was down 2 clown and was good at fighting, and because he had all the necessary criteria when the time came the heroes were able to travel to the isle of nothingness when the time came.

this wasn't clearly communicated to the player, you are correct.

I kinda got this but like Where is he from originally? He's the only person with that accent and at the start of the game he realizes he's never been to this land before so everywhere in the world is new to him. When they were talking about 'the outer oceans' with worlds being connected I thought it was alluding to the fact he came from a different dimension or reality or whatever as that's kind of a Thing in Bravely games. You just never find out anything about him, where he was born or... anything.

Noticing all the dropped story threads and wondering if the games just flat out unfinished. Bravely Default 2 is the 4th game in the series. Bravely Default (original Japanese only release) -> Bravely Second (before the ending of the game) -> Bravely Default (the remake with the Bravely Second mechanic added) -> Bravely Second (Ending) -> Bravely Default | |

Before release I was thinking about what the title screen gimmick could be and thought up 'what if it's a parallel universe thing and the | | represents the timelines or alt worlds.'

Seth not recognizing the world, the chapter titles becoming 'twin cages' 'twin ages' 'twin etc' - it feels like it was all building up to something... and then nothing happened. Combined with the awful unoptimized performance issues and large amount of step backs on features like the quest log I wonder if they hit a deadline.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I thought that the goon hype around Godspeed Strike was hyperbole, but no it really is more than twice as strong as the next strongest ability and that’s not even counting in the second hit (that’s just as strong).

Liking the jobs more as the game goes on. The spoiler job after Thief is rad but seems better as a sub job. Red Mage actually having its own spell list is cool. Designs continue to rule.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When can I get to BnD rank A? I’ve been stuck at B for a while. I just started chapter 4.

As soon as chapter 5 starts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah see I've been in a "invincible tank, healer that babies said tank, support unit who spams debuffs/buffs, UNHOLY MURDER ENGINE :black101:" configuration since I got Shieldmaster, so reflect physical damage is just a "why can't I one-round you" speedbump.

It's still an annoying loving speedbump though. :v:

I'll always try bosses the first time with whatever bizarre job configuration I've been using for leveling in a dungeon.

So I'll go into a fight with no tanks and two Pictomancers or something (and with all the JP bonuses abilities equipped), and if I lose I'll actually go through the trouble of giving my characters proper builds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have every job to level 12 now, having just started chapter 3. This will make it so easy to learn new jobs in the future and not have to burn three ability slots on every character. Also I'm level 52 lol

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Not super sure how to comp for the sir sloan fight. I'm so close to finishing so i can put this game down and he's being a jerk.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ooh I started mastering jobs and they get a second passive!

Nice way to balance switching and leveling vs having to use the second passive for a tough fight.

I’m currently gonna try making my Healer a beastmaster/whm so she’s actually doing something in random battles instead of just watching. I got a spear that gives decent restorative power so let’s see.

Others so far are RDM/BLM who has bard mastered, Vanguard/Berserker, and Thief/Monk but the last 2 are starting to master both classes and will have to decide what else they do next

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ytlaya posted:

I'll always try bosses the first time with whatever bizarre job configuration I've been using for leveling in a dungeon and if I lose I'll actually go through the trouble of giving my characters proper builds.

I do the same, except it's usually enough to just respec one of my guys into a Shield master/Vanguard tank. With that, pretty much any random mishmash of other classes can get the job done.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where can you check your list of captured monsters?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

John Wick of Dogs posted:

:)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

When you use release

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many can I have and does the stats boost catch up to the Freelancer stat boost at any point

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something with RDM/BLM. My Seth tank can smash the poo poo out of groups while beasting through attacks, Gloria is a support/healing goddess and Adelle singlehandedly deals out more damage than the rest of the team combined with her speed and broken thief/monk skills.

Magic dad Elvis meanwhile can dish out ok-ish damage, at the cost of half his MP bar each turn. I barely use him in boss fights because they all either counter magic or his attacks barely scratch them.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

stev posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something with RDM/BLM. My Seth tank can smash the poo poo out of groups while beasting through attacks, Gloria is a support/healing goddess and Adelle singlehandedly deals out more damage than the rest of the team combined with her speed and broken thief/monk skills.

Magic dad Elvis meanwhile can dish out ok-ish damage, at the cost of half his MP bar each turn. I barely use him in boss fights because they all either counter magic or his attacks barely scratch them.
Yeah, magic's in... a kinda awkward position. As the game goes on you start getting tools that help - Beastmaster's MP Cost Down is a nice start, Oracle's specialty decreases the cost of elemental magic and increases the damage you deal when hitting a weakness (which is VERY easily accessible through the oracle's spells - they basically make having a black mage redundant). Chainspell, the red mage's specialty 2, flat-out doubles the damage you can deal by having each spell be cast twice at no extra MP cost, and Magic Critical helps.

Which is kind of a lot of set-up compared to, say, the monk just hitting things and they die, yeah.

I feel like most of it is magic attack growth (through ex. equipment) being undertuned compared to physical attack growth (Bare-Handed does NOT help) and MP costs being, as you said, fairly ridiculous.

edit: sticking to -ara spells instead of -aga until you get more tools helps a bit, at least with the "empties half of your MP bar" problem

How many can I have and does the stats boost catch up to the Freelancer stat boost at any point

iirc it's half a stat point for each monster you capture so, eventually, yes.

you might just want to grind for buns or something if you're gonna do that though :v:

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 14, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LiefKatano posted:

Yeah, magic's in... a kinda awkward position. As the game goes on you start getting tools that help - Beastmaster's MP Cost Down is a nice start, Oracle's specialty decreases the cost of elemental magic and increases the damage you deal when hitting a weakness (which is VERY easily accessible through the oracle's spells - they basically make having a black mage redundant). Chainspell, the red mage's specialty 2, flat-out doubles the damage you can deal by having each spell be cast twice at no extra MP cost, and Magic Critical helps.

Which is kind of a lot of set-up compared to, say, the monk just hitting things and they die, yeah.

I feel like most of it is magic attack growth (through ex. equipment) being undertuned compared to physical attack growth (Bare-Handed does NOT help) and MP costs being, as you said, fairly ridiculous.

edit: sticking to -ara spells instead of -aga until you get more tools helps a bit, at least with the "empties half of your MP bar" problem

iirc it's half a stat point for each monster you capture so, eventually, yes.

you might just want to grind for buns or something if you're gonna do that though :v:

During my grind to get everyone to 12 on all the jobs I had so far (up to chapter 3 start, just salve maker from that chapter), I basically had adelle being a speed goddess with animal affinity and indescriminate rage equipped so I was catching 30% of the random trash I killed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You press the Beastmaster action in combat

Then press down once to stop on "Off The Lease"

Hit confirm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You press the Beastmaster action in combat

Then press down once to stop on "Off The Lease"

Hit confirm.

poo poo I've been playing lots PlayStation games so I accidentally hit cancel

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The stat boost is kinda absurdly high, Adele has like 8000hp, 700mp and over 100 more attack than the next highest character

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

How were the load times in Bravely Default 1? I went so hard on this that I am really tempted to go dig out my 3DS and download a copy.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

^burtle posted:

How were the load times in Bravely Default 1? I went so hard on this that I am really tempted to go dig out my 3DS and download a copy.

Nonexistent? I've been playing it on and off since BD2 came out since I never finished it and I honestly don't remember ever seeing a load screen

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

stev posted:

What chapter are you in? I'm at the end of 2 and I feel similarly. I've actually flat out done RDM/Bard in a lot of fights because I found the buffs to other members more useful than having a couple of extra elements to hit with, but you do lose poison which actually works on most asterisk holders so far.

I assume once you master either one of the classes and get their passives it makes up for a lot of that. I find RDM just really useful as the do-everything party member but the physical damage dealers do much much more. I know it's unfair to count Godspeed Strike but 1 turn and 100 mana for ~5k vs. 1 turn and 40 mana for a fira that doesn't crack 1k is not a great feeling. Magic can target all but at this point so can a berserker

During my grind to get everyone to 12 on all the jobs I had so far (up to chapter 3 start, just salve maker from that chapter), I basically had adelle being a speed goddess with animal affinity and indescriminate rage equipped so I was catching 30% of the random trash I killed

How does that work anyway? I unlocked it but the "next turn comes slower" sounds kind of bad. Does the next turn come slower only if you use a standard attack?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Fully beat the game and man, it's sort of a disappointment.

I think the best way I could describe it is that it feels more like the first title in the Bravely Default series than Bravely Default does. The story is played completely straight (despite the hints otherwise), the characters are one-note and it sort of just falls off a cliff near the end. Even the meta elements feel extremely phoned in near the end as if they were ticking a checkbox.

Gameplay-wise, it sort of follows the same route? The early game has you deal with punishing counters, which then pretty much vanish mid-late game as they gave up on the system entirely to just have enemies react to all of your moves with BP generation. The RNG-nature of the system means sometimes you just get screwed over, especially with enemies having counters to everything plus specific counters to weaknesses. It lacked some of the really fun jobs from BD/BS and a lot of job levels ended up being filler space. Don't even get me started on the dungeons, they're all literally the same thing with two notable exceptions being the ice dungeon and the air ship.

Overall it seems like they learned the wrong lessons from the prior games in the series. BD suffered from pacing issues and BS leaned too hard into jokes. So to fix all of that they just made...a really bland experience that doesn't really try to do anything. But hey, Revo knocked it out of the park.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What chapter are you in? I'm at the end of 2 and I feel similarly. I've actually flat out done RDM/Bard in a lot of fights because I found the buffs to other members more useful than having a couple of extra elements to hit with, but you do lose poison which actually works on most asterisk holders so far.

I assume once you master either one of the classes and get their passives it makes up for a lot of that. I find RDM just really useful as the do-everything party member but the physical damage dealers do much much more. I know it's unfair to count Godspeed Strike but 1 turn and 100 mana for ~5k vs. 1 turn and 40 mana for a fira that doesn't crack 1k is not a great feeling. Magic can target all but at this point so can a berserker

I'm at the same point. I'm hoping there's a better job to combine with the magic ones later on to make the spells slap but I'm not holding my breath.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How does that work anyway? I unlocked it but the "next turn comes slower" sounds kind of bad. Does the next turn come slower only if you use a standard attack?

I don't know, her speed is like 250 right now so no matter what I do her next turn comes pretty fast

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Magic in general is just pretty garbage for damage in this game. The best thing you get is the mastery from RDM but none of it is ever going to compete with the insanity that the physical classes pull out. MDef in general just feels way too high.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I haven't had time to play lately so I haven't tested it yet but does Godspeed Strike get a damage boost from ch3 job's Haste and Hastega since they boost your speed or is that buff a separate thing?

LiefKatano posted:

Grind for buns with beast whisperer equipped. :eng101:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I've hit the damage cap of 9999, but I've heard other people say they've done more damage so I assume this lifts at some point. I've got spuritmaster which I don't understand what it does it what I've done but Gloria randomly heals everybody for like 1000 hp and 100 mp at the start of every turn. And Swordmaster/Dragoon with full force is a lot of jumping fun

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Inflammatory posted:

oh my god i found the quest log. go into the travelogue and press x. it doesn't tell you about any quests you might've missed, but at least you can switch the active objectives.

Hahahaha I knew it, you all missed that part of the tutorial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyway, I’m at the second major dungeon in Savalon, and I’m having trouble coming up with good job synergies. It seems like everything calls for healing as some sort of sub-job (Bard, Monk, Freelancer), and the rest mostly stand on their own (with the exception of White Mage which suggests making them a damage sponge :wtc:). Everyone’s just kind of whatever right now and I haven’t found any good combos other than Monk/Vanguard for Cross Cut and WHM/BLM for heals+damage. Any recs?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

Hahahaha I knew it, you all missed that part of the tutorial.

Nah I knew about that, it's just a bit poo poo when everything else in the game has a nice detailed list of everything you have and haven't unlocked. What's there is fine for tracking the quests you're already doing but not much more.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Well I've hit the damage cap of 9999, but I've heard other people say they've done more damage so I assume this lifts at some point. I've got spuritmaster which I don't understand what it does it what I've done but Gloria randomly heals everybody for like 1000 hp and 100 mp at the start of every turn. And Swordmaster/Dragoon with full force is a lot of jumping fun

Spirit master Simmons 'spirits' that basically keep one effect in play for your party each turn: restore HP, restore MP, remove status effects, and eventually raise dead and restore BP. At level 12 it automatically keeps all effects active at the same time as long as you have 1BP or less on the spiritmaster. Full Force also augments this somehow. I'm sure there are optimal setups to do a lot more, but it's relaxing late game to just keep them chilling at 1BP or less and giving a pretty safe buff to the party all the time.

Edit: apparently not every turn, but seems pretty close to it; enough that I never need an ether for anyone in the party between the mp effect and spiritmaster's devotion skill.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 14, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Spiritmaster is a weird, weird class because at level 12 you unlock a feature that turns off all your spells except Banishga and Holy.

I have no idea why they did it this way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's this status applying build that's really busted I'm hearing about?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The producer from BD1 is also on BD2 as a co-producer, but every other key member including the writers are all new people. One of the writers has no other credited game on English Wiki, the other only has credit on one of the ditched extra bits of FF15.

I'm not looking at spoilers but it’s definitely a huge shame that BD2 doesn’t seem to be actually trying to do anything interesting with the standard “save the 4 crystals” story format like the first game did.

I am extremely sad that I read this and the previous few posts, minus the other posts’ spoilered parts. :cripes: The weird and cool poo poo they did in BD1 (and to a much lesser extent in BS) is one of the big draws for Bravely Default for me. If they don’t have that, then why am I playing this game?

Might put the game down for a while now.

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I am extremely sad that I read this and the previous few posts, minus the other posts’ spoilered parts. :cripes: The weird and cool poo poo they did in BD1 (and to a much lesser extent in BS) is one of the big draws for Bravely Default for me. If they don’t have that, then why am I playing this game?

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?
fwiw i think they are being overly negative and i enjoyed the game a lot. although it doesn't go as off the rails as bd1 it does contain its own meta elements

absolutely nothing will reach the level of bd1 for me tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

fadam posted:

What's this status applying build that's really busted I'm hearing about?

There are two that revolve around the same idea.

Spoilers for Ch4 jobs and combos.

Phantom 12 guarantees that any effect with a %Chance of hitting will always hit. You combine this with either salve maker bombs or red mage AoE spells with Nuisance to guarantee status effect applications on your target. Doing this with paralyse and sleep in particular will cripple any asterisk fight almost completely.

Pollyanna posted:

Bravely Second! In all seriousness you're not going to get the job systemy goodness from anywhere else really. I think the last game to go off on metanarrative like that that I played was VII:R.