Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Flannelette posted:

Please don't take anything anyone says in the GBS games thread seriously.

look here shitlips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given that I beat Fallout 3 and none of the others I must inform you it is by far the best one.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The best example I can think of off the top of my head with Bethesda running wild with the 50s aesthetic is probably the combat shotgun.

In earlier Fallouts they realize that there were 120 years between 1950 and the end of the world, and in those years a lot of advancement would happen. Just look at the combat shotgun. It's clearly a modern firearm. In Bethesda Fallout 3/4 the combat shotgun looks like a Russian WW2 era submachine gun.

In earlier Fallouts the assault rifles are things like the AK-112, an advanced model of the AK47 or just the plain old FN FAL which was a cold war staple. In Fallout 4 you get the water cooled steampunks wet dream version of the "assault rifle" because they're obsessed with everything being from the 50s or before.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Of course if you think I'm full of poo poo feel free to ask in the various Fallout threads, the lead developer for the original cancelled FO3 plus Fallout New Vegas posts there regularly and this topic has been discussed to death in those threads

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Honestly though I think the future retro aesthetic of the bethesda fallout games is a big part of their more mainstream appeal.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

That loving Sned posted:

Mods are good when they aren't creepy or being exploited by publishers. I completed MGSV 100% on PS4, but I could've saved hours on the PC version by using the Infinite Heaven mod to skip the minute-long helicopter ride at the start of every mission.

You've just reminded me of the best mod ever - someone put the curb your enthusiasm theme as your helicopter entrance music lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The only fallout lore that matters is this:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fallout crossover fanfiction for anything tends to be the absolute worst because, like 40k crossovers, it gleefully ignores that the whole premise is played for comic relief and contrast, but takes it completely seriously, so you get it with colourful ponies full of rape and murder and war crimes and rape and abuse and did we mention the rape? And weird horrible nerds love it because it's so dark and edgy and serious and full of rape.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

It's definitely not Bethesda obsession.

The original ones had 1950/sci-fi style but it was only before the war and then everything is just wasteland style with busted 1950s style stuff and new stuff that isn't.
Beth fallout is has the first part and also everything after the war revolves around 1950s style too like the world is foreverly stuck in 1950s art deco.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Almost forgot to post this classic gif:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Bethesda thought the GECK was a magical super futuristic terraforming device, because in Fallout 2 the GECK was a piece of relatively mundane near-future technology that primitive tribals thought was a magical super futuristic terraforming device.

lmao

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

feelix posted:

Bethesda thought the GECK was a magical super futuristic terraforming device, because in Fallout 2 the GECK was a piece of relatively mundane near-future technology that primitive tribals thought was a magical super futuristic terraforming device.

lmao

Actually, that reminds me that I never got far enough into FO2 to actually see the GECK. What does it actually do, is it just a water purifier and a bunch of seeds?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You've just reminded me of the best mod ever - someone put the curb your enthusiasm theme as your helicopter entrance music lol

Adding custom music in MGSV is really simple: You just move the files into a folder.

There's nothing like calling your helicopter to do an attack run with X Gon' Give It to Ya or Pat Benetar blaring out of the speakers. :allears:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

Actually, that reminds me that I never got far enough into FO2 to actually see the GECK. What does it actually do, is it just a water purifier and a bunch of seeds?

It's also got a cold fusion generator and a water purifier, I don't think you ever get to see it activated since Arroyo is destroyed by the time you get back. Unless you count the ending slide

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Its a briefcase sized kit that contains a cold fusion reactor to replicate whatever material you need + a library of data to educate you and your society. One was used to make multiple major settlements (one geck per settlement) in Fallout so it is, basically, fuckin magic and bethesda didn't really screw that up other than like, the scope and speed it works at.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Ignorance of video game lore should never be held against anyone, even if that persons job is to expand on that lore

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Also on top of everything else, the combat is somehow even worse in Bethesda fallout than in 1/2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unpopular opinion, the fallout franchise would be dead if Bethesda hadn't come along. Van Buren was never coming out. Interplay was a trashfire, and They'd thoroughly hosed the franchise far before the Maryland upstarts got their hands on it.

For as much as people poo poo on them Bethesda gave Obsidian the chance to create a Coda to their original vision, for that at least they should be celebrated.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think anyone would have cared if the fallout franchise died. Most fallout fans are only fans of the Bethesda games anyway and probably never played the originals

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I don't think anyone would have cared if the fallout franchise died. Most fallout fans are only fans of the Bethesda games anyway and probably never played the originals

Yeah I can tell, It would've been a shame to end the franchise so early though 1,2, and Tactics are good to great games and the franchise had a huge expanse to grow in compared to something like Baldur's gate, which told a single story of the Bhaalspawn, and Torment which was even more singular.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I can tell, It would've been a shame to end the franchise so early though 1,2, and Tactics are good to great games

Don't forget Brotherhood of Steel!

I wish I could forget Brotherhood of Steel...:negative:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fallout 1 and 2 are unplayable sometimes, sometimes the combat can take so long that you can make a sandwich during the enemy turn, and then your character misses and you can eat your sandwich during their next turn.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 1 and 2 might have been great videogames in 1997 but they were pretty past it by 2005

Which is pretty funny because Fallout 3 is 13 years old and still a masterpiece

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are unplayable sometimes, sometimes the combat can take so long that you can make a sandwich during the enemy turn, and then your character misses and you can eat your sandwich during their next turn.
Your right, but it was worth two hours of my time to put a bullet in Joanne's head. There's never been a more unlikable character in Videogames

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bowsette..

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 might have been great videogames in 1997 but they were pretty past it by 2005

Which is pretty funny because Fallout 3 is 13 years old and still a masterpiece

I got FO3 on release (on pc LOL) and it was so disappointing and underwhelming, and felt so limited in scope to those old games. Somehow it was even buggier and less stable than 1/2, and they never patched it, and they didn't release mod tools for like 6 months or whatever because they wanted people to experience their curated world so modders couldn't fix it either.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever bought a new game on release since then, so I guess I owe Bethesda my thanks

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

I got FO3 on release (on pc LOL) and it was so disappointing and underwhelming, and felt so limited in scope to those old games. Somehow it was even buggier and less stable than 1/2, and they never patched it, and they didn't release mod tools for like 6 months or whatever because they wanted people to experience their curated world so modders couldn't fix it either.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever bought a new game on release since then, so I guess I owe Bethesda my thanks

FO3 owes so much to the radio soundtrack. I love swing jazz in general, but their song selection was really nice. It was really disappointing when FO4 had several same tracks. Everyone already heard those tracks a thousand times playing FO3, get something new! It's not like there's a shortage of 40s and 50s music. Maybe licensing rights are hard idk.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

i bought Fallout 3 on release on 360 and put maybe 70 or 80 hours into it, I had a terrific time, I've went back and mucked about on PC but never really doing anything past the Broken Steel DLC

That game has sooo many memorable moments I could rattle off here, I think I've done this before in this very thread so I'm not going to bore you especially if you dislike the game but so much of that game is fantastically memorable.

gently caress mods, I don't give a poo poo about mods. I played the game as it was sold and had a fantastic time. It's funny most of the time someone is like "FALLOUT 3 IS A poo poo TURD OF A GAME" its because they tried to cram it with gigs and gigs of mods to try and make it a different experience. Idiots. I don't need armchair videogame designers trying to inject 200 different bits of content to improve a videogame. If you don't like it play something else you morons!!

Kudos on the full price game at release thing. Although you are taking a vicious side-swipe at one of my favourite games ever in doing so. Being part of online discourse for videogames really breaks peoples thoughts and its a very positive step to just play what you feel rather than what the internet is raving about this weekend. See Cyberpunk, I don't even know if its good or bad and I don't want to sound controversial by stating so so I'm just going to say that videogame doesn't look like its worth money or time.

TLDR: Fallout 3 is genuinely in my top 5 videogames ever.

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 14, 2021

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i bought Fallout 3 on release on 360 and put maybe 70 or 80 hours into it, I had a terrific time, I've went back and mucked about on PC but never really doing anything past the Broken Steel DLC

That game has sooo many memorable moments I could rattle off here, I think I've done this before in this very thread so I'm not going to bore you especially if you dislike the game but so much of that game is fantastically memorable.

gently caress mods, I don't give a poo poo about mods. I played the game as it was sold and had a fantastic time. It's funny most of the time someone is like "FALLOUT 3 IS A poo poo TURD OF A GAME" its because they tried to cram it with gigs and gigs of mods to try and make it a different experience. Idiots. I don't need armchair videogame designers trying to inject 200 different bits of content to improve a videogame. If you don't like it play something else you morons!!

Kudos on the full price game at release thing. Although you are taking a vicious side-swipe at one of my favourite games ever in doing so. Being part of online discourse for videogames really breaks peoples thoughts and its a very positive step to just play what you feel rather than what the internet is raving about this weekend. See Cyberpunk, I don't even know if its good or bad and I don't want to sound controversial by stating so so I'm just going to say that videogame doesn't look like its worth money or time.

TLDR: Fallout 3 is genuinely in my top 5 videogames ever.

It's good to like what you like, and not let people in the Hot Take Threads, here and elsewhere, take away from that. :)

That said most of the mods for Fallout I use are bug fixes, so it didn't crash to the desktop every 20 minutes. Of course, stability mods to fix the broken mess of the vanilla game is a tradition going back to Fallout 1.

The music was really good in the third one, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

the instrumental pieces from F3 are also quite good but underappreciated, same lad who did Tactics, very good poo poo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

It's good to like what you like, and not let people in the Hot Take Threads, here and elsewhere, take away from that. :)

Oh god yes, especially reading this forum where 50% of the posters are obsessed with anime and yakuza games

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
It's a bad game, guy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

you can see what the GECK does in Fallout 2. Vault City was built using a GECK, and its still mostly a desert wasteland

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

guy who posts about how poo poo yakuza games are every couple of days: i can't believe people are so obsessed with yakuza games

People who religiously scour guides and beforeiplay before trying a game are making the experience worse for themselves

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eh. I've been burned on enough games where the build I want to do is absolutely awful and or just doesn't even work that I don't think its the worst idea to look up. Honestly, any game where I have no respecs and must assign skill points is an automatic "ok, how important are these stats really?"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tonfa posted:

guy who posts about how poo poo yakuza games are every couple of days: i can't believe people are so obsessed with yakuza games

its good to be reminded

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In general, gently caress a catch-all Luck stat if its not clearly mechanically defined. In some games Luck is godly since it boosts all stats enough or the hidden variable it controls is insanely good and important and in others you max it out and it'll increase your drop rate by .5%

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
always take maximum intelligence and maximum luck. i dont care what the game is, thats the best strategy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You're never really gonna go wrong playing a wizard. The number of games where that is the suboptimal choice is smaller than the number of games where Wizard is the best melee combatant class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rutibex posted:

always take maximum intelligence and maximum luck. i dont care what the game is, thats the best strategy

If possible I also max charisma. Combat is the worst part of most games and if you can talk yourself out of combat it's a lot more interesting.