Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
When I saw that he was on the phone to the ITV board at lunchtime I knew he’d be gone by teatime. Felt pretty smug.

Presumably they had a chat, said “you should go” and then he quickly calls Brillo to get a job at Gammon Bastard News before going “okay, I will.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

thehustler posted:

When I saw that he was on the phone to the ITV board at lunchtime I knew he’d be gone by teatime. Felt pretty smug.

Presumably they had a chat, said “you should go” and then he quickly calls Brillo to get a job at Gammon Bastard News before going “okay, I will.”

Absolutely this. He'll treble his pay and be able to preach exclusively to a choir of people who won't be offended by his bullshit.

On that topic, I've been wondering about all these people going to work for commercial TV or radio stations (e.g. Simon Mayo) - how are these companies affording their massive salaries and how can they justify it? Scala, the station which pays Mayo, just announced their record-high listening figures at around 300k. Meanwhile Radio 2 has thirteen MILLION listeners.

Can the advertising revenues for such a small listenership really pay for multiple high-six figure salaries?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
About 20 minutes of advertising an hour.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like when the thread title comes back into relevance again.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goatface posted:

About 20 minutes of advertising an hour.

And part of a huge media group.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you otherwise have a shedload of kids being paid gently caress all to do the rest of the presenting/producing/engineering you can afford a few big names.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like when the thread title comes back into relevance again.

I get excited for a tiny moment as I think at last, he's croaked.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Seven more sleeps to Taskmaster 11...

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Seven more sleeps to Taskmaster 11...

Nice, it's going to overlap with series 3 of Taskmaster Norway/Kongen Befaler.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I've been doing quite a lot of daytime TV of late and I'm fascinated by the show Money for Nothing. A woman takes things people are about to dump at the skip and pays someone an outrageous amount of money to make something usually very ridiculous looking with it. The thing that fascinates me is people sometimes buy them

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Do you want to solve a murder?

“I always know I ‘ave zem when zey do the evil voice!”

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I was never the biggest fan of the show, but this doesn't bode well. Look forward to seeing Lee Hurst back on the Beeb soon boys.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1370256264509464577?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Mrs Brown is going to join the DUP :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrVenkman posted:

I was never the biggest fan of the show, but this doesn't bode well. Look forward to seeing Lee Hurst back on the Beeb soon boys.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1370256264509464577?s=19

Well that’s horribly dystopian.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Don't worry it will be replaced by funny right wing comedians, like, uh

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The_Doctor posted:

This has been done before, can't remember what it was called. The best part about it was each week two people got voted into going to a haunted house style investigation site, with one being eliminated at random. There was one guy who everyone hated and kept being voted for. He came back every single week and eventually won the whole thing.

Edit: The Murder Game

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But we already live in Murder Island could they not rename it?

The_Doctor posted:

From the government that brought you Brexit, Windrush Scandals and killing everyone with inept mismanagement of a pandemic, don't you make fun of us you big meanies!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armchair_Detectives

It wasn't that good, only saw a few episodes of it though.
It is like 3-2-1 puzzle wise, where it could be all of the suspects from the red herrings and actual clues, and was really just a random guess in the end.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armchair_Detectives

It wasn't that good, only saw a few episodes of it though.
It is like 3-2-1 puzzle wise, where it could be all of the suspects from the red herrings and actual clues, and was really just a random guess in the end.

I saw it a couple of times and I was really put off by the presenter. She really give the impression she'd rather be doing anything else :/

The_Doctor posted:

I actually noticed on the BBC news coverage of the Harry thing last week that the correspondent interspersed nearly every sentence with something about how great the queen was, how she epitomises service to the nation and all that guff

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bloody communist Queen loving BBC.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

I saw it a couple of times and I was really put off by the presenter. She really give the impression she'd rather be doing anything else :/

Definitely. She's a good comedian and totally wasted on this.
Then again you have to do what you can get to get noticed.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The Circle is my guilty pleasure but not a fan of the celeb version at all, it doesn't work without actual stakes and everyone just playing for fun, plus there's no one really interesting, think I'll sit it out till the regular series comes back.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’m rewatching Avenue5 this weekend. I know it’s a US co-production but it’s so good and I can’t believe people didn’t like it very much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

thehustler posted:

I’m rewatching Avenue5 this weekend. I know it’s a US co-production but it’s so good and I can’t believe people didn’t like it very much.

Coincidence, watched it for the first time here over the last few days.
And I love it, can't wait for the second series.

However I can see how people don't like it, there is not enough 'Armando Iannucci' in it imo.
It's as if the characters were dialed back a bit from how they should be.
And the conversations have flashes of Armando gold in them, but seem to be tamed down, maybe for the US audiences.
The Captain should be more Basil Fawlty stressed out, and Malcolm Tucker angry.
Rebecca Front's character, Karen, should totally be more Karen instead of trying to side with the captain all the time.
The passengers should be more extreme narcissistic selfish fucks, not just stupid.
The Jack Black wannabe is a complete waste though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed it but I felt like the show had already said everything to had to say after the first five episodes or so and drifted away from it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Holy gently caress I finished the first series of The Terror last night and it was loving phenomenal. Like, holy poo poo, that style of show feels like it was made for me. Getting on in years a bit I just have no time for stuff that's about the plot instead of the people - if my entertainment isn't saying something about what it means to be human and/or it's insulting my intelligence it can get hosed - and The Terror ticked all of those boxes. Just excellent.

Anybody have any impressions of season 2? Is it as good? Is it still worthwhile? Does it keep up the thing of respecting the audience's intelligence? That's the crux of it for me.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Akuma posted:

Anybody have any impressions of season 2? Is it as good? Is it still worthwhile? Does it keep up the thing of respecting the audience's intelligence? That's the crux of it for me.

There ain't no season 2 here and there never was!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

The Circle is my guilty pleasure but not a fan of the celeb version at all, it doesn't work without actual stakes and everyone just playing for fun, plus there's no one really interesting, think I'll sit it out till the regular series comes back.

I'm surprisingly really enjoying it. Though it cracks me up that no one is at all suspicious that loving Will.I.Am is there.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Akuma posted:

By most accounts season two is crap, especially compared to the first - I too have just finished it on a rewatch and it's still fantastic the second time, picking up details I'd missed during the first.

The premise of season two is interesting enough and had potential but unfortunately it's nowhere near as engrossing, and I tuned out probably half way through. They should really have dropped 'The Terror' and used a clean title as I think a lot of expectations were set high by season one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

I'm surprisingly really enjoying it. Though it cracks me up that no one is at all suspicious that loving Will.I.Am is there.

I really like the Circle as a concept altogether. As a person (like probably everyone on this forum) who has lived almost their whole life communicating with people via text as well as a sociologist it's very interesting to see how teeny tiny things absolutely set people off. A woman doesn't know little mix songs?? Must be a fake.
But a woman immediately leaves an argument instead of trying to calm stuff down? That's fine, to them.

I kinda feel like when we get to season 3 the magic might be gone and it'll be boring like after season 5 of Big Brother. I say that because at that point most of the people going on know how it works and the producers know how they WANT it to work, which makes all the personalities sorta insane and the dynamic falls apart. There's a chance it'll be fun still if that hasn't quite happened yet.

I'm constantly blown away by how little they know though. Like you mentioned the celebrity one having a fake will.i.am and nobody goes "He's a bit famous for this, isn't he?" or in the normal one in season 1 where they said someone was "really political" because he knew who the loving Prime Minister was. Calling a guy super intelligent because he knows the planets as well.

I guess what I'm saying is Circle shows me how little people examine those around them and how people build their conceptions based on super tiny things. Which is interesting, to me!

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 14, 2021

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The second season of Terror is a flat out ghost story thingie and the supernatural stuff is in the front and centre of the show, starting from the beginning of the first episode. Plenty of (not that well made) body horror and less drama. It's a very very different thing from season 1 and should have been named differently.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Well poo poo, thanks folks. What a shame.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

We forgot Pottery Chat: I can't fault giving the win to Jodie based on the episode's products. It could have gone to either her or Peter. Adam really did screw himself with the decanters..

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

We forgot Pottery Chat: I can't fault giving the win to Jodie based on the episode's products. It could have gone to either her or Peter. Adam really did screw himself with the decanters..

so as Sal fell with her lip, Adam fell with his wrong era and country art style, and terrible decanters. Jodie did deserve to win based on that performance though, I agree

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

I figured Peter might have gotten dinged because his stoppers were molded instead of sculpted (assuming there's a difference). Adam really should have put some balls or rocket fins on the bottoms of the decanters, and they failed spectacularly at decanting. Poor guy; always the pottery bridesmaid, never the pottery bride.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Sabine Schmidt from Top Gear has died. She was just 51. :(

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Not sure how I feel about putting 'influencers' on THE CIRCLE. The fun was in watching regular people pretending to be someone else (or indeed just being themselves) not some guy known for doing wack comedy on YouTube.

I didn't see the second episode yet, but one thing that cracked me up in the first was the woman pretending to be her husband when she was on a group chat with other guys decided they weren't being 'lads' and went barrelling in with "So what you think of the totty then fellas" much to their confusion.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

One cool touch I thought with The Terror was that episode 2 was titled "Gore". Things are really ominous at that point and I expected the worst, but then I realised it was referring to the real person who was on HMS Terror, Graham Gore.

Then it double bluffs and ends with him meeting an incredibly gory end

What a fantastic show that was. I need more character driven 19th century Royal Navy horror dramas.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

NEW TASKMASTER REMINDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mike Wozniak's gimmick is very simple, but very effective. There is something Mr. Bean-ish about his approach to tasks so far, and it's lovely. Charlotte Ritchie is also a delight to watch. Hope to see harder and more infuriating tasks in later episodes, though.