Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sextro posted:

Yeah I probably should have made a single better post.

Just how little recourse and even less protection victims have in any kind of “domestic” situation is a major sore point of mine in general and seeing people embrace security theater as an actual answer to this is disheartening.

Except it seems like you're dismissing things as "security theater" that have absolutely worked to help people navigate the broken set of systems that we have around this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sextro posted:

Yeah I probably should have made a single better post.

Just how little recourse and even less protection victims have in any kind of “domestic” situation is a major sore point of mine in general and seeing people embrace security theater as an actual answer to this is disheartening.

The post you replied to was pushing back against the notion that doorbell cams are just a "property crimes" thing. You're right, the police do suck at dealing with DV, stalking, and sexual assault. It's also true that video evidence of something moves people in a way that a written-down report doesn't. Flippantly mashing the ACAB button in response is some stupid rear end in a top hat poo poo.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Motronic posted:

Except it seems like you're dismissing things as "security theater" that have absolutely worked to help people navigate the broken set of systems that we have around this.

How have they helped beyond assuaging worry? I struggle to believe a person in the state of mind to go so far as to become verbally and physically threatening and perform stalking behaviors is going to be significantly deterred by a camera.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Sextro posted:

How have they helped beyond assuaging worry? I struggle to believe a person in the state of mind to go so far as to become verbally and physically threatening and perform stalking behaviors is going to be significantly deterred by a camera.

....are you not able to read or do you choose not to read posts responding to this very point because it invalidates it? I think I know where my money is.

Someone was describing exactly how, you loving nimrod. But sure keep on intentionally missing the point, it's a great look.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sextro posted:

Ideally yes, the footage would be useful evidence, to get someone clearly in crisis help he needs that he likely would not seek in his own, and would so also protect the victim.

I just don’t think it’s very likely to be the case and the situation is a serious one that needs much more than a camera to address.

Wait wait wait. The subject is men stalking, harassing, and threatening women with violence, and your first thought is for the harasser? Your sympathy defaults to the guy pounding on a woman's door threatening to rape her? The woman being threatened gets the "and also" in your thought process?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sextro posted:

Ideally yes, the footage would be useful evidence, to get someone clearly in crisis help he needs that he likely would not seek in his own, and would so also protect the victim.

I just don’t think it’s very likely to be the case and the situation is a serious one that needs much more than a camera to address.

I really don’t like the fact that you’re presuming someone who is a stalker or domestic abuser is somehow likely/almost certainly going through a mental health issue rather than acting with full agency. The vast, vast majority of these folks are men who need to understand what the word “no” means.

Edit: also what Huego said.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’d suggest if somebody doesn’t understand “no” they are not fit to be a part of society. The whole thing only works if everyone agrees to play by the rules. That’s kinda the point. Not understanding “no” to the point of doing any of the above mentioned crimes is something that should be addressed via dramatic intervention until that person learns how to behave.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 12, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Solkanar512 posted:

I really don’t like the fact that you’re presuming someone who is a stalker or domestic abuser is somehow likely/almost certainly going through a mental health issue rather than acting with full agency. The vast, vast majority of these folks are men who need to understand what the word “no” means.

Edit: also what Huego said.

Toxic masculinity and male privilege are a mental illness and should be treated as such. Society would be a lot better off if, instead of saying "boys/men just need to learn that no means no", we realized that the problem was much deeper than that and requires psychological intervention and deprogramming for many men and young boys who have been exposed to our culture.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Do victims or potential victims have any reason to give a poo poo about that when some guy is stalking them?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Toxic masculinity and male privilege are a mental illness and should be treated as such. Society would be a lot better off if, instead of saying "boys/men just need to learn that no means no", we realized that the problem was much deeper than that and requires psychological intervention and deprogramming for many men and young boys who have been exposed to our culture.

Sure, but maybe prioritize ensuring the person being stalked and threatened with sexual harassment is safe before worrying about having a nice chat with an abusive partner.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

enki42 posted:

Sure, but maybe prioritize ensuring the person being stalked and threatened with sexual harassment is safe before worrying about having a nice chat with an abusive partner.

Sure. I was merely responding to "don't call them mentally ill".

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Holy poo poo, teenage me was right about the moral necessity of gendercide.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Huego posted:

Wait wait wait. The subject is men stalking, harassing, and threatening women with violence, and your first thought is for the harasser? Your sympathy defaults to the guy pounding on a woman's door threatening to rape her? The woman being threatened gets the "and also" in your thought process?

Yeah that seemed pretty hosed up to me. For what it's worth: Of the two women I was speaking about the neighbor moved to a new apartment to get away from her ex, got a dog, got a gun, and basically never answers the door due to the fear of her stalker. When her stalker was pounding on the door at 1am, and she was hiding in her bedroom waiting for the cops to show up, I'm sure the last thing she needed was some loving bootstraps.

The second woman, my friend, has bounced around Oregon with her daughter for a decade trying to get away from her stalker and his death threats. She spent most of last summer protesting PPD and choking on tear gas, and she still decided to go to the police when her stalker found her again, so I'm sure she doesn't need any mansplaining on my part about the role of police in society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Police seem vastly more likely to commit rape than to prevent or punish it. Stations have dozens to hundreds of completely ignored rape kits piled up in storage. They're the vanguard of toxic masculinity.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Imagine thinking pigs help rape victims. What the gently caress.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The police as an institution don't give a flying gently caress about protecting victims of sexual assault and domestic violence. That's not their job. They have capital to protect, unhoused to harass, and poc to murder.

It's maybe the job of the courts (lol at American courts providing justice for anyone but the already-privileged), and that's assuming the victim can get enough evidence for the pigs to actualyl arrest the perpetrator before the victim is brutalized further or killed.

Telling a victim to install a doorbell camera is security theater nonsense, because a video does nothing to protect them from a violent individual that doesn't give a gently caress about consequences.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No, they aren’t mental illnesses, and you remove their agency in terrorizing others when you claim otherwise.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

paperwind posted:

Telling a victim to install a doorbell camera is security theater nonsense, because a video does nothing to protect them from a violent individual that doesn't give a gently caress about consequences.
Well that's the bet you're making here, innit? Even if you know police won't help you, there's at least a slight chance the guy will get paranoid and leave you alone if you get them visibly involved. Fake cameras sometimes work, wouldn't that be maximum "security theater"?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I 100% guarantee that the two women with years-long stalkers have a much better idea of the utility of doorbell cameras and of the actual helpfulness of the police in their cases than Captain ACAB and the Security Theatre Brigade over here.

And to echo what other posters have said, it is extremely lovely to dismiss those women's lived experience just to score some political brownie points or whatever the gently caress it is you're doing.

Also wtf? This is the tech nightmares thread, not the police thread.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Solkanar512 posted:

No, they aren’t mental illnesses, and you remove their agency in terrorizing others when you claim otherwise.

No. People can do lovely and bad poo poo while also being mentally ill. If loving video game addiction can be a mental illness then the state of mind caused by cultural indoctrination into our hosed up toxic masculinity hell world that leads people to abuse and terrorize others without empathy certainly also qualifies. Sociopathy is a mental illness. If we treated it as such rather than worships it in folks like Musk, humanity would be better off.

All crimes, including the most heinous would benefit from a humane approach which examines and attempts to treat the underlying causes rather than just saying "some people are just bad seeds and deserve to be locked up forever or better yet get the long kneeling arm of the law"

This is in no way sympathizing with awful abusive behavior nor is it belittling the terror that abuse and stalking victims suffer at the hands of their abusers.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Or at least it shouldn't have to be except our systems are so hosed and broken. We SHOULD be able to protect victims and give them the relief of being able to live a life free of terror while also treating those that commit crimes as humans worthy of rehabilitation rather than knee jerk condemnations. You can't be woke and also wish the American criminal "justice" system upon anyone, even an abuser.

I'm not one of the ones saying don't use a camera or call the cops when an abuser shows up. I'm merely saying it's a loving mental illness and should be treated as one.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Several Men Agree: Domestic Violence is Often Harder on the Man

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leave it to goons to find a way to take something simple and good like "the police suck" and turn it into a pretext for infantilizing women.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Can we please get this thread back on topic?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goddamn I hate bitcoin

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1370384081771433989

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fool of sound posted:

Can we please get this thread back on topic?

An art speculator, a graphic artist, and a blockchain walk into a bar:

quote:

After a flurry of more than 180 bids in the final hour, a JPG file made by Mike Winkelmann, the digital artist known as Beeple, was sold on Thursday by Christie’s in an online auction for $69.3 million with fees. The price was a new high for an artwork that exists only digitally, beating auction records for physical paintings by museum-valorized greats like J.M.W. Turner, Georges Seurat and Francisco Goya. Bidding at the two-week Beeple sale, consisting of just one lot, began at $100.

With seconds remaining, the work was set to sell for less than $30 million, but a last-moment cascade of bids prompted a two-minute extension of the auction and pushed the final price over $60 million. Rebecca Riegelhaupt, a Christie’s spokeswoman, said 33 active bidders had contested the work, adding that the result was the third-highest auction price achieved for a living artist, after Jeff Koons and David Hockney.

Billed by the auction house as “a unique work in the history of digital art,” “Everydays — The First 5000 Days” is a collage of all the images that Beeple has been posting online each day since 2007. The artist, who has collaborated with Louis Vuitton and pop stars like Justin Bieber and Katy Perry, uses software to create an irreverent visual commentary on 21st century life.

Beeple’s collaged JPG was made, or “minted,” in February as a “nonfungible token,” or NFT. A secure network of computer systems that records the sale on a digital ledger, known as a blockchain, gives buyers proof of authenticity and ownership. Most pay with the Ethereum cryptocurrency. “Everydays” was the first purely digital NFT sold by Christie’s, and it offered to accept payment in Ethereum, another first for the 255-year-old auction house.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts/design/nft-auction-christies-beeple.html

Someone paid almost $70 million to own a unique chuck-e-cheese token representing a collage of freely-distributed artwork.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Baronash posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts/design/nft-auction-christies-beeple.html

Someone paid almost $70 million to own a unique chuck-e-cheese token representing a collage of freely-distributed artwork.

They "paid" in ethereum, so I'm perfectly willing to accept that this was done as a money laundering scheme of some kind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Volmarias posted:

They "paid" in ethereum, so I'm perfectly willing to accept that this was done as a money laundering scheme of some kind.

This is what fine art on the open market is for generally

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baronash posted:

Honestly given what Damien Hirst does this barely moves the needle for art weirdness.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This is some of the dumbest poo poo ever:
https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/1370356988169744388

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

How long until someone realizes that due to how expensive actual bitcoin / ethereum / whatever transactions are, simply having a stored valid site is actually more efficient, similar to how bitcoin is now?

Digital Christie's exchange except that they abscond with your pretend art ownership instead of bitcoins this time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lately, I've had to manually edit closed captioning on some videos because the auto-captioning software is terrible. For example, "coral reef" was interpreted as Karl Rove and "gain electrons" was transcribed as gay electrons. In the last video however, the speaker pronounced "Joules" as "Jews" so kilojoules became "Kill Jews"

AIs are still racist it seems :hitler:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Mods pls

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but like charges repeal each other, the laws of physics are hetro normative.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

but like charges repeal each other, the laws of physics are hetro normative.

That's what makes them gay

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lately, I've had to manually edit closed captioning on some videos because the auto-captioning software is terrible. For example, "coral reef" was interpreted as Karl Rove and "gain electrons" was transcribed as gay electrons. In the last video however, the speaker pronounced "Joules" as "Jews" so kilojoules became "Kill Jews"

AIs are still racist it seems :hitler:

So... positrons?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Something something degenerate electrons.

Screw you Pauli, I'll live my life my way :argh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Expectation plays a huge role in how humans understand speech, in that something like "kill Jews" and "kilojoules" are very close to one other in terms of how they are spoken, and the reason our brain understands one or the other is based hugely on context. Obviously they do sound different, but if someone said "Hitler wanted to kilojoules" your brain would bridge the gap, because that's a nonsensical thing to say as written, and we know that both consciously and subconsciously.

Given that we know this is the case, the question, in my mind, is: to what degree are AIs biased one way or the other, and why? If we are talking about the distinction between "gay electrons" and "gain electrons" or "kilojoules" and "kill Jews", are AIs coming up wrong because they are biased toward the incorrect interpretation, or because they simply lack a bias toward the correct interpretation and have no sense of words that make sense together in context and those which do not?

It's an interesting research question, but in either case we should be deeply disturbed.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tech nightmares: It's an interesting research question, but in either case we should be deeply disturbed

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I hope these people are killed, not mocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

As a linguist that has done phonemic distinction studies I am not sure that the average person/brain would mistake "kilojoules" for "kill jews".

The brain absolutely does "bridge gaps" when there is missing or distorted input, but the transition frequencies in those words, plus the extra vowel sound in "kilojoules", make them way too different for a native speaker to mistake or for the brain to mistake baring an unusual accent or garbled sound sample.

All signs point to poorly trained and/or racist AI.