Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
here's out basic factory setup

roof (that we're expanded above): 4 kilns. has a little door to the outside to grab from firewood pile if we need. all 4 kilns drop coal through a hole

linen area: these all drop onto a ramp to my left. can see smelters further back

smelter area. coal falls just in front and to my left. on my right are the 4 smelters and a blast furnace. the coal drops in here, and the outputs are all behind the smelters/furnace

it all drops down to here, metal on the left and linen on the right through a couple chutes. forge right in the center.

one annoyance is black metal tends to get stuck on its own ramp but hey, who cares, we don't see it, and there's always more being brought to us via fulings at night if we make enough noise

edit 2 more

garbage chute. probably don't need horizontal braces but like the looks

exit from castle to farm, stairs down to it and path up to windmills

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
double post

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

mastershakeman posted:

poison mead is a bitch to always have at the ready

??? No, it's really not. It takes very basic ingredients and one batch brews a full hour's worth of doses. It's trivial to have on hand anytime you venture into the swamp.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Azhais posted:

I found the swamp mostly difficult due to all the poison. Mead pretty much neutered it tho

This is what I prepared for, with a load of poison resistance mead. However, I find that I virtually never bother with it - I shoot blobs before they get close and I manage to avoid leeches so I very rarely find myself poisoned.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

genericnick posted:

Yeah, it's mostly poison. The Draugr aren't that fast and the bow dudes can be easily dodged by slowly walking sideways.

not if you're right in front of them. i've had draugr archers track me 100% at close range and if you don't dodge or block you're hosed

like im circling an archer and he's facing a direct angle away and i still get hit my an arrow

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really see the point in black metal because whatever the goblins themselves are made out of is obviously the better building material.

Just let me crush them into bricks and make stuff out of them.

Goblinite might be a euphemism in dwarf fortress but in this game it should be real.

I've taken to calling the 1-star guys Kobe Beef Goblins because Jesus loving Christ. I haven't seen any 2-stars yet, I can't imagine how bad they are. :gonk:

The plains in general are a bit of a smorgasbord for those kinds of moments. The first time I sailed up that way I thought "oh hey this place looks nice! I should take a closer look!", and then I got 1-shot by a mosquito before I even made it to shore.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

verbal enema posted:

not if you're right in front of them. i've had draugr archers track me 100% at close range and if you don't dodge or block you're hosed

like im circling an archer and he's facing a direct angle away and i still get hit my an arrow

Never noticed that. Are you playing solo?
Also I love deathsquitos now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is what I prepared for, with a load of poison resistance mead. However, I find that I virtually never bother with it - I shoot blobs before they get close and I manage to avoid leeches so I very rarely find myself poisoned.

Yeah, it was mostly at the start when things were a surprise. Now I don't care at all and just let them poison me cause I can't be bothered

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Are Queen's Jam and Carrot Soup the best foods I can make from just Meadows/Black Forest biomes? I have to travel to other islands to get to the Swamp but I wanna make sure I've done everything I can here. I have some minor meads as well.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think so? The second you step into the swamp you can start making sausage and it's a huge upgrade.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

pik_d posted:

Are Queen's Jam and Carrot Soup the best foods I can make from just Meadows/Black Forest biomes? I have to travel to other islands to get to the Swamp but I wanna make sure I've done everything I can here. I have some minor meads as well.

Yeah pretty much. The jam is equal to cooked meat, just has a different health/stamina ratio. So meat + jam + carrot soup is pretty much the top combo of meadows/forest tier food.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lakitu7 posted:

I think so? The second you step into the swamp you can start making sausage and it's a huge upgrade.

Nordick posted:

Yeah pretty much. The jam is equal to cooked meat, just has a different health/stamina ratio. So meat + jam + carrot soup is pretty much the top combo of meadows/forest tier food.

And that one fish I grabbed out of mid-air because a storm surge wave left it there :hmmyes:

I feel like Cooked Meat should be able to be added to other foods to make higher tier food, I have so much extra Cooked Meat because I'm winning the War on Deer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a critical thistle shortage, between sausages and meads. We’re going to hit bonemass in the next day or two, so maybe that’ll reduce the need once we’re out of the swamp? Maybe?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you will always crave the sausage

plus you'll need the thistles for the next biome as well

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only way I met thistle demand was running through black forest to mountain or plains biomes, it's real annoying how fast you go through them

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sausage should only require 2 or even 1 thistle per. Having it at 4 doesn't make sense and causes it to get used up way too fast.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'd rather need an extra meat and cut 1 or 2 thistle out of the equation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Black forest at night is how you get thistle. Love that glow

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

plus you'll need the thistles for the next biome as well

alas

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Thistle is also in the swamp. While in the swamp keep an eye out for turnip seeds - that's also a huge upgrade, and easy to make. They're easy to miss, you might think they're carrots.

Best way through the swamp, in my opinion, is raw speed and parkour. If you're fast enough most mobs can't track you, they're all very slow, and you lose them quickly. Keep in mind that poison resist does nothing if you drink it after getting poisoned, it has to be in effect in advance.

Tip for crypts: build a campfire just inside the entrance. If you do get poisoned you can run back to it and enjoy the rested healing buff which will allow you to survive the damage ticks. Helps with killing stuff near the entrance too.

Once your hitpoints are high enough and you've got some good iron gear you can skip the poison resist if you're feeling daring, but it's always helpful.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 14, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can get swampthistles as well but it's way more of a faff to scour a swamp than it is a black forest

i tend to forage thistle/raspberries/meat as one "time to do some maintenance" trip by wandering meadows/forests

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The funny thing is that medium stamina, one of the best items in the game, is the easiest thing to get components for once you know what to get

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've always found tasty mead way more useful than stamina potions, due to the lack of cooldown.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've always found tasty mead way more useful than stamina potions, due to the lack of cooldown.

If I need stamina I also need health so I may have never made it and probably should just for the unlock

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Two things make the swamps much easier.

1) use your hoe to level the ground, bringing it up out of the water.

2) cut down every tree that isn’t indestructible.

Seriously, just lay waste to the swamp. Build highways all over the place. It feels good, especially after getting draugr-blob tag teamed.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The way they make you collect Guck is pretty dumb. At least let me fell the tree.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Furism posted:

The way they make you collect Guck is pretty dumb. At least let me fell the tree.

Do you need it for anything beyond the bow ?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mastershakeman posted:

Looks like you can make green-flame torches and green banners, so definitely don't need it for anything else.

Edit: There's a wiki that's pretty good at listing what stuff is used for: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Guck

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 14, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Azhais posted:

I found the swamp mostly difficult due to all the poison. Mead pretty much neutered it tho

The constant rain and thus Wet status effect is the other big annoyance, just drops your stamina regen a little more. If you end up there in the night and stack the Cold effect on top, it's a pain to fight anything even when well equipped.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gully Foyle posted:

The constant rain and thus Wet status effect is the other big annoyance, just drops your stamina regen a little more. If you end up there in the night and stack the Cold effect on top, it's a pain to fight anything even when well equipped.

That's where the portal home comes in, or barring that dodging into a crypt and making a fire and waiting out the night

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there anything special I should do to protect my boats? I made the one that's a step up from the raft, but will it be ok if I just leave it by the shore? It won't float away or anything? I see some people have made entire docks, but is that more for rp purposes?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

WHAT

i've just been creating stairs to mine it with a pickaxe, how come i didn't think of just shooting it

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there anything special I should do to protect my boats? I made the one that's a step up from the raft, but will it be ok if I just leave it by the shore? It won't float away or anything? I see some people have made entire docks, but is that more for rp purposes?

Boats stop moving moments after you leave them. The only dangers are high waves then dropping it low against the ground, if it's shallow water, and random enemies smacking it.

Docks are handy if you otherwise couldn't access the boat storage from the land, imo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jeoh posted:

WHAT

i've just been creating stairs to mine it with a pickaxe, how come i didn't think of just shooting it

He means using it to make a bow, not using the bow to get it. From the wiki I linked:

quote:

Gucksacks are not damaged by ranged attacks and must be destroyed with a melee weapon.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The worst part about the swamp are the area with a few big rocks and 3-4 skeleton/draugr spawners. Specifically, because multiple times now I've had an archer spawn inside one of the rocks, which are unbreakable, allowing it to shoot out at me and me unable to damage it. I've died several times to "invisible" archers before I figured out what was going on.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

In the end I gave up and just broke them down and stored them in a chest.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Azhais posted:

Black forest at night is how you get thistle. Love that glow

Thistle always respawn in the same spot!

I took the advice earlier in the thread and started marking locations. I have one Forest area that has its initial objectives marked (dungeons, copper, etc) and a separate biome that’s just thistle and mushrooms marked in a loop. This lets me travel there and just run around guided by minimap dots and walk away with a full stack of each, which is super helpful for my pre-plains cooking menu.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

If I need stamina I also need health so I may have never made it and probably should just for the unlock

The half health thing sounds like a huge downside, but the potion only lasts for ~10 seconds, during which time you wouldn't have much healing happen anyway. So it's not a concern at all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nighthand posted:

The worst part about the swamp are the area with a few big rocks and 3-4 skeleton/draugr spawners. Specifically, because multiple times now I've had an archer spawn inside one of the rocks, which are unbreakable, allowing it to shoot out at me and me unable to damage it. I've died several times to "invisible" archers before I figured out what was going on.

Hey its me from last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Once I figured out the swamps creatures I found I didn't even need the poison resist mead anymore.