Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

So the first time I used a torque wrench I nearly made this exact mistake. I'd found what I needed online, but shipping was expensive so I ended up buying (what I thought was) the same thing on a trip to an unfamiliar city where I was already in a rush and stressed out, and then life happened and I didn't end up using it for a couple of weeks.

So I'd set it and put the socket on it and put the socket on the bolt and I was starting to turn it and something about the whole situation made my brain start screaming You know you're a fuckwit, right? You do know that? Ok, so given that you know that, why not just double check everything here? and yeah, gently caress, wrong units, whole wrong size wrench in fact.

I made a similar mistake too. Bought a wrench off Amazon, waited a few weeks, did a few tests at lower torques on less critical bolts, proceeded to install an exhaust and eventually went “why no click?” And noticed the header flange was bent.

I will test/calibrate it one day when I actually need it. Or more likely just buy a digital adapter for my current socket set that beeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is the core of it here. It should be obvious that a gigantic lever on a tiny screw isn't the right way. There are a limited number of explanations for why this might not be obvious.

Exactly - I'm extremely stupid when it comes to mechanical stuff and even I noticed that hex keys and spanners come in different lengths (and sockets come in different socket sizes) and twigged this helped to limit the amount of torque that you could apply to a bolt depending on the size of the head.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
My torque wrench mistake was using one to do up the bottom bracket on a push bike without realizing it only clicks tightening clockwise, for anti-clockwise you are going to be waiting a long time for a click. Fortunately, my friend pointed out something wasn't right before I broke anything. Please learn from my mistake.

The thing that gets me is that these people with no clue what they are doing go on to give people all sorts of lovely advice. There is a lot of stuff I am crap I don't know about, so I just keep my mouth shut!

edit: I now have a push through torque wrench, so it works either way. Would recommend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here is another certain to be controversial opinion: there are like six bolts on a bike you use a torque wrench for, the rest of the time it's just a way to make things take ages and stop yourself learning how tight things actually are. I hardly ever use one in my day to day activities, the only time it comes out is things like cylinder head studs, pinch bolts on fancy forks, critical rotating parts and so on.

It is entirely possible, indeed not even that difficult, to get perfect torques by feel alone on all the 'normal' bolts on the bike, things like clutch cover screws, side stand bolts etc and being able to do this without clutching mum's dress in one hand and a clicker in the other is part of what determines whether the fixing thing is for you. At some point you have to develop a sense of feel and trust in yourself; if you need to follow step by step manual instructions for every little thing, check in the mirror you might be an IT guy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m an IT guy AND I eschew torque wrenches

Fight me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my drz has been diligently engaging in organic weight reduction, bolts have been falling off and disappearing for years on all sorts of random parts

last thing i noticed was the heat guard bolt missing :shrug:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think it’s pretty easy to misjudge a bolt/nut if it’s not something you’re doing all the time. Every time I change my wheels out on my car, I’m always surprised when the wrench clicks, because it just doesn’t seem anywhere near enough (89 lbs-ft). Obviously you don’t need to torque your mirrors or whatever, but I err on the side of safety for most things. I’ve mostly been touching things like axles and pinch bolts which are probably things you should use a torque wrench for, anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s mainly that the length of the torque wrench required to torque lug nuts to 89ftlbs isn’t the same as your average ratchet set that you use every day.

If you put a 2 foot long pipe on your normal ratchet, you’d way over torque everything because your “feel” is based off the normal ratchet you use

Conversely if you used a normal ratchet to put on lug nuts at 89ftlbs it would feel like you’re doing pull-ups on the ratchet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

my drz has been diligently engaging in organic weight reduction, bolts have been falling off and disappearing for years on all sorts of random parts

It's trying to self-actualize as the ktm it knows it was born to be.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Here is another certain to be controversial opinion: there are like six bolts on a bike you use a torque wrench for, the rest of the time it's just a way to make things take ages and stop yourself learning how tight things actually are. I hardly ever use one in my day to day activities, the only time it comes out is things like cylinder head studs, pinch bolts on fancy forks, critical rotating parts and so on.

It is entirely possible, indeed not even that difficult, to get perfect torques by feel alone on all the 'normal' bolts on the bike, things like clutch cover screws, side stand bolts etc and being able to do this without clutching mum's dress in one hand and a clicker in the other is part of what determines whether the fixing thing is for you. At some point you have to develop a sense of feel and trust in yourself; if you need to follow step by step manual instructions for every little thing, check in the mirror you might be an IT guy.

I agree. Internal engine poo poo gets the wrench, cam bridges, heads, that sorta poo poo. Sometimes axles and calipers. since I don't carry a wrench in the field to deal with flats I don't sweat it. Both arms are pretty calibrated by feel as it is so meh, ymmv, you do you.

Razzled posted:

red loctite.
Its a drz. "They never break" and besides, the lovely soviet-esque alloys utilized will just melt anyway.

Slavvy posted:

did that. 7/10 was good fun while it lasted. End of the day was basically still a honda civic with a turbo. Bought a proper ktm to deliver the pain that the suzuki could not.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

This is very true. I only use a torque wrench for safely concern things like axles and top ends. The rest gets "hhhgrrrgh" ft/lbs until it feels right.

I am an IT guy but I'm not very good at it so this probably helps.

Slavvy posted:

NOT TRUE. KTM Shears the bolt, not loosens. The remaining part of the bolt might loosen a little, but usually the pot metal it's made of deforms for friction.

My SV650 would shed bolts like it was it's job. Can't count how many times the rearsets just fell off (and why I'm so liberal with loctite to this day).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m an IT guy AND I eschew torque wrenches

Fight me

No, because my thin noodly arms are great for not overtorquing bolts but terrible for fisticuffs

If I was working on vehicles every single day I'd probably get to where Slavvy's mindset is, but for how often I do it, gently caress it I'll break out the torque wrenches for piddly poo poo like the engine side covers. They're Princess Auto so it's probably about the same accuracy as if I did it by feel anyway

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have two torque wrenches: a 1/4 and a 3/8. I have never used either.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I use a torque wrench on my oil filter. :colbert:

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 13, 2021

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

And since you don't use a torque wrench you know they are perfectly torqued how?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
When was the last time you shot a free throw?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use a torque wrench on the ignition key

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And since you don't use a torque wrench you know they are perfectly torqued how?

The other parts of my posting explain how that works yeah.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I use a torque wrench on the ignition key

This is so good.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I always liked Fortnine's method, use some math and a luggage scale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKZVc4JRY4A&t=437s

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My favourite torque spec was the flight deck switches on airbuses that had teeny tiny machine screws that were to be torqued to 5 inch-lbs. There was even a special teeny tiny calibrated torque screwdriver you were supposed to use to ensure you didn't wreck them.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You may think I'm trapped and starving but it is in fact YOU who are trapped and starving!

Buy the man an account.

E: many ongoing discussions, very favorable! is incredibly trumpian

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I've been to Jennings a few times. If someone was banned, they're likely a huge risk to themselves and others. This guy is nuts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That a big leap from “I’m talking to the person who bought a hotel” to “I’m buying the track”

Holy poo poo

Also I’m laughing imagining what it takes to get outright banned from a business in loving Florida of all places, arguably the most accommodating state in the nation for people’s wild insanity

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 14, 2021

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can we get this guy to team up with the box truck living guy?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Can we get this guy to team up with the box truck living guy?

Seriously. Buy this fool an account

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This dude bought this bike for his wife to learn on, evidently when they met up with the PO he turned up and dropped it trying to climb off.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Finger Prince posted:

My favourite torque spec was the flight deck switches on airbuses that had teeny tiny machine screws that were to be torqued to 5 inch-lbs. There was even a special teeny tiny calibrated torque screwdriver you were supposed to use to ensure you didn't wreck them.

There are also special torque-screwdrivers for mains wiring screw terminals. But those actually make sense. Too tight and you'll wreck the little screw with ease, too loose and the connection will be fine at first, but work itself lose over the course of a decade of heat cycling, and then start to arc/smolder.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He used a hammer to put that in, the utter knob

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

This dude bought this bike for his wife to learn on, evidently when they met up with the PO he turned up and dropped it trying to climb off.

Why a nail ffs, a large bobby pin or paperclip or some garden wire or literally anything else would have been fine

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I feel like the more I work on bikes the more I'm becoming an optimist. I've seen such stupid poo poo, this actually looks decent to me. He understood what that castellated nut and axle hole were for, and he installed something that would work. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve disdain, but I don't think he does deserve disdain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well you know what they say about what happens when all you have is a hammer

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Phy posted:

Well you know what they say about what happens when all you have is a hammer

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My pit went after a skunk under my back porch this morning and I cannot express how bad it smells inside my house. Not the skunk smell you're thinking of, more of a rotting garlic with putrified balls smell. I then had to give her a bath outside when it was 42 degrees outside, neither of us were happy about it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

My pit went after a skunk under my back porch this morning and I cannot express how bad it smells inside my house. Not the skunk smell you're thinking of, more of a rotting garlic with putrified balls smell. I then had to give her a bath outside when it was 42 degrees outside, neither of us were happy about it.

Just make sure she doesn't get into your riding gear.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Nothing to do with motorcycles per se but Sabine Schmitz just died of cancer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

My dog did this when I was a kid. Concentrated skunk is the worst thing. Ours smelled like burning styrofoam.

The tomato juice thing really does work although I’d imagine in tyool 2021, science has made something better.

Either way :rip: your house it’s gonna smell like skunk for at least 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

Nothing to do with motorcycles per se but Sabine Schmitz just died of cancer.

Cancer is awful.

https://youtu.be/97xhQ1jKn5o