Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
One day I'll burn this hell city to the ground.

From salted earth will bitter fruit borne still-birthed dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

"showtime" is over. but people selling fruit juice mixed with vodka on the Q train is here to stay.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

columborumble posted:

"showtime" is over. but people selling fruit juice mixed with vodka on the Q train is here to stay.

ITS CALLED A NUTCRACKER YOU PHILISTINE

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Stayed in Manhattan for 2 weeks for work many years ago. It was fine but also that was enough New York for a lifetime.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
One time I was traveling through New York on a shuttle bus from LaGuardia to Penn Station. I could hear the people sitting behind me marveling at all the things they saw--I don't think they had ever been in a big city before despite the fact they were both young adults. They were saying things like, "Wow, look at all the tall buildings! It's like in the movies!" But what really stuck out was when we drove by a small group of Hasidic Jews on the sidewalk, one of them said, "Hey, look! It's some Amish people!"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
on a seriouser note what's really surprising is how drat dark the city is, because of the giant buildings. You almost never see direct sunlight if you're walking around except certain times of day. It's like walking in alleys. This may be a result of growing up in DC where buildings can't be more than like 10 feet fall but good lord NYC is just a dark concrete jungle.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ayy I'm a rat ova here, ask me anything 'bout new york and bein' a rodent.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Forget about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Supreme Allah posted:

on a seriouser note what's really surprising is how drat dark the city is, because of the giant buildings. You almost never see direct sunlight if you're walking around except certain times of day. It's like walking in alleys. This may be a result of growing up in DC where buildings can't be more than like 10 feet fall but good lord NYC is just a dark concrete jungle.

My GPS always works like poo poo in Manhattan because there's no line of sight to the satellites.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eyyyy-a happy fuggin holidays ya fuggin knuckleheads, it’s a fuggin brisk one out there huh?

Santy “came a little early this year” fuggin clots.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Ey! Welcome to da jungle, kid. MY jungle. I'm da king of da concrete jungle. You're in da jungle baby. So uh... Can you spot me a quarter for dis dryer?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
People who live in New York are way cooler than I am because they commute long, work a lovely job for more hours, and live in crappy run down apartments while I don’t! The big Apple!

Also I’m extremely upset my city doesn’t smell like literal garbage 10 months of the year

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I'd like to be a slack jawed yokel tourist there someday. I wanna look at that liberty lady. I don't want to go inside it though I'm scared of heights. Going up in the St. Louis Arch was bad enough.

I was glad there was nothing tall in DC.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

We built modern cities so that we didn't have to put with constant shoving in public places, garbage on the streets, vermin crawling everywhere, and the smell of piss coming from the gutters. But if you mention those things New Yorkers roll their eyes like you're the dick for not living in medieval squalor.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1EXk7XUpE

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

What a sweet little angel :unsmith:

I encountered a similarly adorable bodega kitten by the name of Smokey. I want to ask about him because I stopped seeing him, but I'm afraid of what they'll tell me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
im a new yorker, have an apt in alphabet city (house in nj, the truest sign of a new yorker) and work in finance ama

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
new york is neat i guess but its citizens fall prey to the idea that theyre the cultural bastion and center of the universe, pretty much like any other city

also st louis style pizza is better i want to taste the ingredients not the crust, b*tches

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

New Orleans piss is cross pollinated with college kid puke, NYC has the mature, arified hint of condensed homeless shits

My NYC story - 1030am, walking back to my car, I stop for a smoke before I get in and drive back to NJ. Old homeless man shuffles up to me and smiles and nods his head. I figure he's going to ask me for a smoke, maybe regale me with a story of the Big Apple. The guy looks me dead in the eye, drops his pants, and starts making GBS threads on the sidewalk.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

My NYC story - 1030am, walking back to my car, I stop for a smoke before I get in and drive back to NJ. Old homeless man shuffles up to me and smiles and nods his head. I figure he's going to ask me for a smoke, maybe regale me with a story of the Big Apple. The guy looks me dead in the eye, drops his pants, and starts making GBS threads on the sidewalk.

Ay dats New Yawk! Wat, you don't got homeless dudes shidding at youse? Fuggetaboutit

*chokes on pizza folded as many times as a katana

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Robo Reagan posted:

new york is neat i guess but its citizens fall prey to the idea that theyre the cultural bastion and center of the universe, pretty much like any other city

I didn't realize that New York City was "cool" or "special" until I started meeting non-New Yorkers. Like, maybe because I wasn't born in Manhattan, it just didn't occur to me.

Vampire Panties posted:

Sounds like my cat the one time I didn't change her litter exactly on time.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Chicago > New York, there I said it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lots of rats and cockroaches I heard, very shameful

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
So, rats and rents are bad but I imagine the social life, opportunities, arts and nightlife would be lit, no?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Galewolf posted:

So, rats and rents are bad but I imagine the social life, opportunities, arts and nightlife would be lit, no?

Yup, tho covid seriously hampered the first and last 2 things.

Easily the easiest city to make friends, as most anyone you meet moved from somewhere else.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Galewolf posted:

NYC is pretty lit if you are a millionaire sociopath.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Galewolf posted:

its pretty tight pre-covid. I bounced as soon as the pandemic became a thing

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

New York:

- Where do you buy things? There's no supermarkets.

- Very crowded but cool buildings

- The Halal guys stands are not as good as I was led to believe.

- I can't decide whether I like Sauerkraut on a Sandwich and I am German. Overall, there's some good Sandwiches tho.

- I managed to eat at the one Pizza place that apparently does not do New York style pizza

- Williamsburg was disappointing

- I would kill myself if I'd had to commute by car.

- Very limited "street life", few places to sit outside and drink etc. Good bars tho at some places. Gonna assume parties or clubs are lit but didn't get to see it.

- Saw an incredible amount of people getting scammed

- European major beer brands classified as craft beer, actual craft beer good tho

- I actually really liked the parts around highline and chelsea and felt bad about it.

- The old Midtown hotels (Mariott, Sheraton etc) suck rear end, but there are some new ones that are super nice

- The constant feeling of capitalism crushing your feebly body is palpable, but Chicago was far worse for some reason.

- How can the subway possibly be so hot

- Also, the thing where a subway station has different entrances that are not connected to all platforms, and you find this out once you are inside

- When the subway from Brooklyn was down they put a nice person there to answer questions. That was nice I thought.

- I knocked out a fake monk by accident because it is so crowded and my elbow was at the right height

- Got recommended the terrace bar at the museum at the central park and never have I hosed off from somewhere as fast as this overcrowded piece of poo poo

- Super nice to walk all around Manhattan. Amazing atmosphere. At all hours, especially. I went to several places more than once just to see night vs. day.

- Wife got a Chinese person to shoot pictures of us and for some reason we look loving amazing in them.

- I do not believe that anyone actually wants or does live in Manhattan/Midtown. Seems like an absolute nightmare in every conceivable way.

- Overall, I got shot a lot less than I expected

Rating 6.5/10

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 15, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Pawn 17 posted:

NYC is pretty lit if you are a millionaire sociopath.

Well, isn't everywhere lit when you are a millionaire sociopath? Replace NYC with London, LA or idk Paris and it's still the same.

Yet, millions and millions of people that are not millionaire sociopaths, Canary Wharf bankers or techbros live in those cities somehow, though the content of "living" can be argued.

If I was like in my 20s or early 30s, I would've tried living in NYC for real.

Realistocally speaking, I'm eyeing Madrid if my startup (lol) can take off and I can remotely work or keep living in Londonistan.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

New York:

Goes to every tourist trap imaginable

Rating 6.5/10

New York is bigger than Mid-town, or even Manhattan (which mostly blows)

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Haramstufe Rot posted:

New York:

- Where do you buy things? There's no supermarkets.

- Very limited "street life", few places to sit outside and drink etc. Good bars tho at some places. Gonna assume parties or clubs are lit but didn't get to see it.

- How can the subway possibly be so hot

- Got recommended the terrace bar at the museum at the central park and never have I hosed off from somewhere as fast as this overcrowded piece of poo poo

Corner stores mostly. There’s supermarkets in the areas people live in. You’ve got your Whole Foods and then the places normal people actually shop at.

COVID actually helped with the street life IMO. Every restaurant put up outdoor dining which got a lot more people on the street. It was kind of nice in the summer. Dead of winter not so much.

Subway is so hot cause they have air conditioning in the cars and vent the exhaust out onto the platforms. I can tell you it’s definitely not fun commuting to a places where you have to wear a suit in the summer.

Oh yeah that’s probably the one at the MET. Good museum but man I don’t think I’ve spent more than 10 minutes on the roof. Nice sunsets there though

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

People need to realize nyc doesn't consist of solely Manhattan.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Shageletic posted:

New York is bigger than Mid-town, or even Manhattan (which mostly blows)

For real, "I spent my whole vacation in a 15 mile radius in one island, trip sucked"

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Controversial take: Jersey City isn't bad. It's for sure much better than Staten Island

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Lived in NY 15-ish years ago. Now i don't, and I own a 4br house on 1.5 acres for less than the rent on my 400 square foot studio in Yorkville and don't get woken up by cabs honking at a garbage truck at 5AM every goddamn morning. gently caress that place.

Loden Taylor posted:

Chicago > New York, there I said it
:emptyquote:

Edit: on the plus side, I had a pretty good utility pizza place on my corner.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 15, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aegis Bear posted:

Grew up in NYC, left, won’t look back. As others have said it’s a great place to visit but living there day-to-day is like one long, neverending panic attack.

I lived there for a year and I got my lease renewal stuff in the mail and when I was reading it in the lobby of my building I just started stress laughing at the thought of spending another year there and bailed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also bodegas aren’t special and I’m so glad to be living somewhere where I don’t have a lunatic chanting racial slurs and weird conspiracy theories about Timothy McVeigh at 3 am.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also bodegas aren’t special and I’m so glad to be living somewhere where I don’t have a lunatic chanting racial slurs and weird conspiracy theories about Timothy McVeigh at 3 am.

Hey man that’s just Uncle Dominic. He isn’t anyone’s uncle and is name probably isn’t Dominic but he’s part of the community.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Baumann posted:

Controversial take: Jersey City isn't bad. It's for sure much better than Staten Island

That shouldn’t be controversial, everything is better than Staten Island except maybe Long Island.

But yeah Jersey city is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Snowy posted:

That shouldn’t be controversial, everything is better than Staten Island except maybe Long Island.

But yeah Jersey city is fine

I grew up by the Queens border and yeah Long Island sucks