Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wow that just does not look like Kat at all does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
drat. Of course all the OG Rangers are sold out. :gbsmith:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Wasn't the metallic armor only in a handful of episodes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Wasn't the metallic armor only in a handful of episodes?

The last couple episodes of Season 3 prior to the Alien Ranger miniseries to be exact

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was in Master Vile and the Metallic Armor parts 1-3, the one after that with Dischordia, and the one after that where they turn back time, so 5 episodes total. Possibly there was another one in there

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Metallic Armour thing pissed me off so badly as a kid. I thought it was how they'd bring the movie suits in, not just making the spandex glittery.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uh they also added heavy thuds and clanks to see the metal effect.

But yeah it sucked.
I doubt the filmsuits would have held up. They were falling apart all the time during the shoot.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The worst part is they hyped it up so hard before they showed up. I still remember the ads where they would talk about the rangers new metallic armor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Metallic Armour thing pissed me off so badly as a kid. I thought it was how they'd bring the movie suits in, not just making the spandex glittery.

I'm not sure if it's ever been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure that was the goal, but the suits really weren't designed for heavy use.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So apparently Bulk and Skull's script directions for a lot of their scenes were improvised/ad-libbed.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised by that or not.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, *now* I know the movie suits were garbage and ripping themselves asunder at all times, but back then I was like 13 or something and I thought they were going to bring in the sweet cinematic armour suits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did like the low framerate/super speed effect they put on them when they used the armor

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always felt like the metallic armor was this last stand of the "Zyuranger suits forever" camp and after they saw how badly it turned out they resigned to splicing Kakuranger footage.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The metallic armor was just a gimmick to sell those awful "movie" figures that were just shiny repaints of old figures. The crazy thing is those figures had been out for almost a year before they showed up on TV.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The irony is if they'd put the same promotion in the scripts towards switching to the Dairanger or Kakuranger suits, they could've pulled it off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

The irony is if they'd put the same promotion in the scripts towards switching to the Dairanger or Kakuranger suits, they could've pulled it off.
Dairanger suits would have been awesome. Just go with Master Vile attacks the Morphin Grid and Tommy bears the brunt of the attack > unpowered Rangers join him to protect (something) and Vile's attack is splintered by the White Light into the Daipowers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You still run into the issues of how much of that footage is usable, which was something they got hit hard by with KibaRanger.

Even with the Alien Rangers- they brought the suits in, but used almost no footage

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's not really a downside compared to what we got though. Either the footage is usable, and you've saved money, or instead of Zyu2, you ask them to shoot new stuff with the next season's suits, which would cost the same. Plus you get new toys you can sell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though if you made the Dairanger suits into the Metallic Armor instead of it just being the old suits but shinier what would you do for Tommy then?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Though if you made the Dairanger suits into the Metallic Armor instead of it just being the old suits but shinier what would you do for Tommy then?

make him Kingranger and push the problem back another half season :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Say the new suits are based on the tech that they used to create the White Ranger powers, have Alpha ay-yi-yi about how Vile's powers seem to affect Tommy less.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Junpei posted:

So apparently Bulk and Skull's script directions for a lot of their scenes were improvised/ad-libbed.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised by that or not.

Given the acting gulf between them and maybe Lt. Stone and everyone else in the cast, I am definitely not surprised by that

The script writers for those series at least on the ranger side seemed to be "just spout whatever gets us to the next scene as quickly as possible"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Considering JYB was essentially learning to act on set (I'm told) I'm amazed at how far he's come. Although not having any idea he shouldn't be doing something probably worked in his favor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Say the new suits are based on the tech that they used to create the White Ranger powers, have Alpha ay-yi-yi about how Vile's powers seem to affect Tommy less.

That could work actually

MechaX posted:

Given the acting gulf between them and maybe Lt. Stone and everyone else in the cast, I am definitely not surprised by that

The script writers for those series at least on the ranger side seemed to be "just spout whatever gets us to the next scene as quickly as possible"

Amy Jo Johnson was pretty decent as well to be fair (and went on to have a fairly successful acting/directing career afterwards)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 14, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Tommy still gets Saba and the GOATzord.

Also the shield, which we all know from MMPR Green bestows Great Power on the user.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Larryb posted:

Amy Jo Johnson was pretty decent as well to be fair (and went on to have a fairly successful acting/directing career afterwards)

You're right; Amy Jo seemed like she had some significantly untapped potential while in PR; whenever she would be doing "Kim, but under a evil spell" she would be hamming it up and it was, at least as far as I can recall, absolutely amazing.

Thinking back on it, I honestly think there are a fair amount of old school PR actors who could have gone the JYB route with voice acting

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

You're right; Amy Jo seemed like she had some significantly untapped potential while in PR; whenever she would be doing "Kim, but under a evil spell" she would be hamming it up and it was, at least as far as I can recall, absolutely amazing.

Thinking back on it, I honestly think there are a fair amount of old school PR actors who could have gone the JYB route with voice acting

You are correct (in fact, evil Kim was often more entertaining than regular Kim at times). She also did a pretty good Rita impression back in Season 2 (to the point where she probably could have subbed in for Barbara Goodson if necessary).

I forget, did she have any acting experience prior to her time on Power Rangers?

As far as voice acting goes I think Eric from Time Force has done a bit of that as of late (Jen was also a pretty good actress who apparently has had a decent career afterwards as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 14, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, did she have any acting experience prior to her time on Power Rangers?

As far as voice acting goes I think Eric from Time Force has done a bit of that as of late (Jen was also a pretty good actress who apparently has had a decent career afterwards as well)

I believe AJ went straight to Hollywood then to MMPR.

The wildest thing I ever saw her in (aside from a made for SyFy movie about killer bees that she was way better than) was a TV movie with Mario Lopez where they wanted to play a prank on a teacher and he wound up dying of a heart attack.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah Eric got a Really Big Role that's basically paying all of his bills: Being Vergil from Devil May Cry.

Unrelated-apparently, Park Ranger Garcia in Dino Fury was supposed to be a police officer earlier on, but they changed it as a result of... the events of last summer.

Honestly? Smart call on the writer's part.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It'll never happen, but I'd love a LuPat adaptation where the ranger teams are explicitly enemies rather than angsty allies working at cross purposes, and the cop rangers are unequivocally bad guys

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jivjov posted:

and the cop rangers are unequivocally bad guys
A-Squad, here's your chance at redemption!

The origin morph could be antifa vs police and it would be awesome

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

Unrelated-apparently, Park Ranger Garcia in Dino Fury was supposed to be a police officer earlier on, but they changed it as a result of... the events of last summer.

I guess that does explain why he tries to act... cop-like for lack of a better term.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RPM Yellow started in iZombie and RPM red gets a decent amount of smaller roles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incidentally, has AJJ ever played an antagonist in anything? Based on her performance whenever Kim was under a spell I think she’d be pretty good at it honestly (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers kept coming back to that particular well simply BECAUSE they liked what Amy did with it so much).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 14, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jen from time force stars in like 3 Hallmark movies every year. To every gen X and boomer white christian mom she is the ultimate being.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Jen from time force stars in like 3 Hallmark movies every year. To every gen X and boomer white christian mom she is the ultimate being.

Erin doesn't do PR stuff anymore because she only does SAG stuff, right? (Not that I blame her if so.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Junpei posted:

yeah Eric got a Really Big Role that's basically paying all of his bills: Being Vergil from Devil May Cry.

So he's JYB's dad? (JYB is Nero, both English VO and mo-cap in general)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And shockingly Reuben Langdon appears in Time Force as a minor character (he's the guy Katie yanks out of his car to commandeer it and also later a tour bus driver)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The director of John Wick shows up in Lightspeed Rescue as the blue rangers evil boyfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Sky from SPD got Klingon jihaded in the first episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Chris_Violette