Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Finished the main campaign for Rage 2, and now I'm just having a blast roaming around cleaning up and checking off all the areas on the map. I can see where some complaints about the game come from (campaign too short, open world filled with the same stuff scattered everywhere), but my brain loves games where it's just a bunch of checkboxes waiting to be checked off. The gunplay is fun as hell, and the movement feels really nice. I can't believe I waited this long to try it out, but I'm glad I eventually did.

How much better would it be if you could play co-op?! Like I can just imagine it being incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How much better would it be if you could play co-op?! Like I can just imagine it being incredible.

Man, that would be crazy good! Just blasting through an encampment wiping out enemies with a friend. I played on PC, so the vehicle controls using M+KB sucked pretty bad, especially while flying the Icarus. Everything else felt so good though. Like, movement and controls are usually my #1 indicator of whether I'm going to enjoy a game right off the bat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The controls for the icarus are also really bad on console. It feels really bad and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was a late addition when they realised they'd made the map way too big.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The controls for the icarus are also really bad on console. It feels really bad and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was a late addition when they realised they'd made the map way too big.

You might be right. I remember one of early complaints about the game when it first came out was traversing the open-world was boring and (maybe?) there was no fast travel. I know you can now fast travel to a handful of locations, but I wish more open-world games would have fast travel to any location you've visited.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

You might be right. I remember one of early complaints about the game when it first came out was traversing the open-world was boring and (maybe?) there was no fast travel. I know you can now fast travel to a handful of locations, but I wish more open-world games would have fast travel to any location you've visited.

Yeah I kept forgetting there was no real fast travel, it's so weird how there's only like three places on the entire map you can quickly get to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

PlayStation 4: valley of defilement in the streets, blighttown in the sheets.

:eyepop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not for some people, discourse and hype are probably the main drives for people who want to play videogames AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Also marketing. You only have to see how many people jumped to play Cyberpunk and were happy to pay full price for it lol

I often buy games full price, though I waited literally 3 weeks after cyberpunk launched, bought it new for $40 bucks, and now am waiting for my PS5 copy. Now I see the game is back up to $60.

A rare shrewd decision from beanpole.

I think full price for FROM titles at launch is fine, you're getting in on the mystery with everyone else and it's a fun experience to figure all that out with a community. But I can see why other games would be better to wait for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't really have any issues with paying full price for a game if I think what I get for the money is worth it, and the typical From game is good and long enough that I definitely think I've always gotten my money's worth out of them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will definitely pay full price for Elden Ring because I would love to join everyone at the same time for new from stuff.

Loving Dark Souls 2 also :). And will change the thread title. There have been two amazing ones in the last few days.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think I might break my not buying a game day one for Elden Ring...... but not for nowt else!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

Loving Dark Souls 2 also :). And will change the thread title. There have been two amazing ones in the last few days.
We do have an average to maintain here, after all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sure if a game is meaty it helps, but I've been known to buy short games at full price in order to avoid story spoilers. It's pretty hard to spoil the plot of an AssCreed game, but being spoiled on SOMA would be pretty loving easy on the right day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess I'm just generally not as bothered by spoilers as some people are. To me it's very different to know something happens and actually seeing it happen myself, so I don't mind the little things that you just pick up by osmosis when listening to people here talk about a game. I've never felt like it ruins the experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe it’s an age thing, I dunno, when I was in my early 20s, working every night and going to class every day, $20-$40 was the difference between paying my light bill or not, so I just pirated everything because it was that or just... not play video games in college (lmao). My Buddy Kevin was like you, he played every major AAA video game... approximately 12 months after release for $20 on steam sale, but he also wasn’t online and games weren’t a social practice for him the way I think they are for me. It’s very likely I’d be more like you and Kevin if I weren’t on SA and didn’t want to experience *the discourse*

But now, in my 30s... $40 is like a couple hours at work, and a video game is potentially weeks of fun and relaxation and getting to talk to you guys about it and playing it together... I dunno, I personally don’t think waiting on a forever sale is worth missing out on all that... ESPECIALLY if the money has just been sitting in the bank the whole time doing nothing.

My lifestyle in my mid-late 20s was so unbelievably goddamn expensive to maintain, that gaming and my other, technically expensive nerd hobbies feel extremely cheap by comparison. A $60 game can last me weeks, sometimes months. You can blow that in two hours in a nightclub or doing anything that habitually social twenty somethings do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Buying a game full price is up to you, depends on your patience.

Buying a console full price is absurd unless you're making crazy good money. Like... I unno, 1,200$ a week? I have no idea how well computer toucher jobs pay.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Demon's Souls in the streets, Bloodborne in the sheets

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just received an email that communities for PS4 is being discontinued, so if you are in the ps4 goon group or were waiting on membership, I guess go find something else because I am free

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Buying a game full price is up to you, depends on your patience.

Buying a console full price is absurd unless you're making crazy good money. Like... I unno, 1,200$ a week? I have no idea how well computer toucher jobs pay.

$400-500 every 8 years really isn't that absurd in the grand scheme of things.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Really enjoying Surge 2 so far! It's got a very nice feeling combat, except for certain cases where the camera and limb targeting go wild. It also so far doesn't suffer from the infinite loot problem that I had with Nioh 1, and it's fun cutting off limbs to farm stuff honestly. Highly recommend for soulsborne fans.

The only games I buy full price at launch are Fromsoft games and I think there's something magical about the experience. Not just the shared experience of figuring out little details, but also because the thriving multiplayer leaves such a lasting memory. I remember spending so many hours on the Bellkeeper's covenant in DS2 at launch and having so much fun, non stop invasions. Same with DS3 punking people in PVP and DS1 Sen's Fortress trolling with the Dragonslayer Greatbow knocking people off. Wish I could've experienced nonstop co-op with Bloodborne at launch, s i g h.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The trick is to gamify your finances. Get YNAB and be more aware of where exactly your money is going and start chipping and moving poo poo into a future console purchase or the next Dark Souls 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This has been a great year for keeping game expenditures down for the virtue of there being none.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

:same:

especially the exhorbitant sum people will pay for their phones ever 18 months lol

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I'm loving lolling here at spending $500 when that can last people a really loving long time

Hell I'm still using my ps3! I played two games on it this year.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, considering the time between console generations, it's really not a lot of money. You certainly pay more than that on average in new graphics cards as a PC gamer if you want something with any staying power.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Maybe starting Prey immediately after finishing Rage 2 wasn't a great idea. I'm playing this game like I did with Rage, fast and mindless, and got my rear end handed to me at the first somewhat menacing enemy. This is definitely more of a "thinking-man's FPS", and I just need to be in a different mindset when playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, considering the time between console generations, it's really not a lot of money. You certainly pay more than that on average in new graphics cards as a PC gamer if you want something with any staying power.

You'll currently pay five times that much for a graphics card made in 2017

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

Agreed, honestly if anything I'm amazed that console prices aren't higher, considering how high computer and phone prices are

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You'll currently pay five times that much for a graphics card made in 2017
Where in the world do you pay 2500 dollars for 2017 graphics card? Prices have certainly gone up, but for that money I could buy an Nvidia RTX 3090, which is barely six months old.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Agreed, honestly if anything I'm amazed that console prices aren't higher, considering how high computer and phone prices are

Absolutely. The value of the PS5/ Series X is incredible.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Tbf if you see a game with five worlds and you choose to do the last one first you are kind if asking to have the game slap you around.

it's not like the enemies in 5-1 are *stronger* or something though. they just combined bad level geometry with status effects.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

Where in the world do you pay 2500 dollars for 2017 graphics card? Prices have certainly gone up, but for that money I could buy an Nvidia RTX 3090, which is barely six months old.

I was not being serious

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not sure it's even possible to get a 3090 (or even a 3070) at the moment, so you might actually have to pay $2500 if you wanted one right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PS5/XSX are a crazy good deal at $500. It feels comparable (or better than) to my gaming PC that I got six months prior, and at a fraction of the cost, with all of the no hassle of a console. Even with the selection of actual PS5 games being dire atm, it's felt well worth it just for what a massively improved PS4 experience it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

I'm not sure it's even possible to get a 3090 (or even a 3070) at the moment, so you might actually have to pay $2500 if you wanted one right now.
I know a local store that has them in storage and sells them for 2800 or so. They started at 2000$ retail back in September, though, so that's not as bad as it sounds under the circumstances.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's funny they released these new GPUs at this amazing price point and no one can take advantage of it because the only way to get them is via gougers.

I think the answer is just don't upgrade your PC any time soon and take solace knowing that maybe a year from now you'll be able to pay actual retail prices. I guess the same goes for consoles, but you can actually get a PS5 if you are diligent enough which afaik isn't the case with a 3070/3090

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

it's not like the enemies in 5-1 are *stronger* or something though. they just combined bad level geometry with status effects.

They are quite strong actually. Not rock-skinned like in 2-1, but then they have no magic weakness either and aren't slow as gently caress like the workers in 2-1 either.

And they're way stronger than the enemies in 3-1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

5-1 mobs, eh?

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1331801969120468992?s=21

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I also got a 3070 FE for a friend. Haven't seen any come up in a while but I also haven't really been looking for those. Dicking around with PC's is a really good way to angry up the blood. gently caress computers forever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Casnorf posted:

I also got a 3070 FE for a friend. Haven't seen any come up in a while but I also haven't really been looking for those. Dicking around with PC's is a really good way to angry up the blood. gently caress computers forever.

Actually computers rule they’re the dark souls of gaming devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
for a child