Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DC Murderverse posted:

Update: I just got back from Hawaii in the game and the hour straight without saving was the wrong move to start at 2am, especially on DST Eve

I definitely thought that this thread’s love for Makoto was dumb because she’s a cop/narc for the first two arcs of the game and thought it would be really easy to ignore romance to get that achievement but it’s going to be very hard to reject her after a long walk on a Hawaiian beach at sunset. Most of the other romance options range from “I think they work better as friends” (Ann) to “this seems inappropriate” (Ohya, Chihaya, Takumi) to “this is wildly inappropriate” (Kawakami, Futaba).

I noticed that you didn't mention best girl Hifumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

I noticed that you didn't mention best girl Hifumi.

It’s because both “-umi” girls are great. I think the game itself is partial to Makoto given that the entirety of her social link is basically “lol it would be funny if we got dated/got married/made out and solved crimes together, unless-“ but Hifumi is a very different type of absolute dork which is compelling

Kasumi suffers from not being able to engage with her much at first, but she’s almost heartbreakingly sincere and also age appropriate which puts her in the top half almost by itself

edit: it is hilarious to me that a game as skeptical of gay men as P5 is has absolutely no problem with relationships between 16 year olds and 30 year olds

“Hey me and this incredibly handsome young detective have a rivalry loaded with hidden double meanings and potentially-sexual tension, can we kiss?”

“For the last time, no! Now go flirt with your homeroom teacher who is dressed like a maid”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 14, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Altus seems really good at writing gay characters that they then insist are not actually gay. :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Altus seems really good at writing gay characters that they then insist are not actually gay. :shrug:

Persona 2

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

E: VV Goddammit, I've got more RPGs in my backlog I gotta finish first! Thank gently caress P5R was 50% off last month though, so it's ready to go once I've cleared my backlog out.

gently caress you thread for making me start on P5R despite my already long-as-hell backlog. :v:

Taking my sweet time getting used to the new mechanics - nearly 5 hours in and I've only just gotten Ann's Persona. My completionist rear end wouldn't let me leave the dining hall until I'd gotten every Persona available up to that point.

I like the new approach to getting new Personas compared to the RNG-fest that was P4G's Shuffle Time, although their natures are giving me Pokemon vibes.

The English dub has indeed been fantastic so far - I just hope I don't drown in 'Sempai's later. I haven't decided yet if I find Morgana more annoying than Teddie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

The English dub has indeed been fantastic so far - I just hope I don't drown in 'Sempai's later.

You're pretty safe there. Persona 5 is notably a lot lighter on the honorifics than 3 and 4, at least among the Phantom Thieves. The idea was that they're supposed to be rebellious kids acting outside of societal norms, so they don't really use honorifics with one another (and actually talk about this at a couple points). That's not just the English dub, either, it's the same in Japanese.

There's one character who calls Joker "senpai" (as you saw in the intro to the game) but that's about it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

anakha posted:

I like the new approach to getting new Personas compared to the RNG-fest that was P4G's Shuffle Time, although their natures are giving me Pokemon vibes.

They're all from SMT though so technically they predate pokemon by several years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

anakha posted:

gently caress you thread for making me start on P5R despite my already long-as-hell backlog. :v:

Taking my sweet time getting used to the new mechanics - nearly 5 hours in and I've only just gotten Ann's Persona. My completionist rear end wouldn't let me leave the dining hall until I'd gotten every Persona available up to that point.

The English dub has indeed been fantastic so far - I just hope I don't drown in 'Sempai's later. I haven't decided yet if I find Morgana more annoying than Teddie.

I would recommend giving up on getting all the persona's, getting them all would make you so overleveled that the game would totally cease to have any difficulty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I would recommend giving up on getting all the persona's, getting them all would make you so overleveled that the game would totally cease to have any difficulty.

I'm not sure why that would be the case, considering you get significantly less EXP for a battle where you negotiate and gain a persona than if you had just killed all the shadows.

Really, Mementos is what's going to inevitably overlevel you (and fill your pockets to overflowing with money) if you engage with it at all so I wouldn't be too worried about overleveling just from trying to get one of each shadow as you go through a Palace.

The advice I'd give to someone trying to avoid being super overpowered is to ignore fusion alarms and network fusions, really. Those did more to turbocharge my power in my P5R playthrough than anything else.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's only April 19th and Ryuji's already exponentially more likeable than Yosuke ever was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not an incorrect opinion at all, Ryuji is a total bro despite having a double digit amount of braincells

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryuji is the only Persona character to have never done anything wrong, ever, and he is my bestest bud.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dumb but loyal jock beats homophobic wannabe ladies' man any day in my book.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
literally ryuji's only flaw is that he cares too much. all of his biggest fuckups are based in over-exuberance, and understandably so, because like everyone else he had a miserable time of it before the Phantom Thieves gig and he throws himself into the role harder than anyone else in the party

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 14, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm undecided if I prefer the male voice doing the "I am Thou" catchphrase in P4 or the female voice doing it in P5.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

literally ryuji's only flaw is that he cares too much. all of his biggest fuckups are based in over-exuberance, and understandably so, because like everyone else he had a miserable time of it before the Phantom Thieves gig and he throws himself into the role harder than anyone else in the party

I particularly love his confidant storyline because it starts with him already knowing what he did wrong, it's about helping him figure out how to make amends.

Ryuji's the absolute best

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Which is why the the girls hitting ryuji after he literally saved them all risking his own life sucks so much. In what universe would that be funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People make so much of that scene and I don't get why, they're relived he survived and are acting out

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

People make so much of that scene and I don't get why, they're relived he survived and are acting out

Yea it’s more of “you rear end in a top hat we thought you were dead!” Emotional outburst because he was acting so casual about it.

But yea Ryuji is the best bro. I regret not spending time with him in Hawaii.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think the idea is fine, but ends up being too much. They literally knock him out and it ends up feeling cruel rather than funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ehh the three stooges did worse

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone once pointed out that the reason Ryuji is so much better than Yosuke, even though they both appear to fill the "male best friend" role in their respective games, is that they don't really have the same role. It's all in their arcanas. Ryuji is a Chariot arcana character--the same as Chie--while Yosuke is the Magician. Persona 5's Magician character is Morgana, who ultimately plays a more similar role to Yosuke (and Junpei) than Ryuji does. Morgana's the "hopeless romantic" who is obsessed with being The Hero, is not The Hero, and is extremely insecure about his position in the group.

Ultimately I like Morgana a lot better than Yosuke, too, but it's kind of fun to notice the similarities in character arcs and how you can kind of guess where any individual character might go based on their arcana once you've played one or two Persona games.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I really liked Morgana. He gets a little weird with Ann at times, and is a huge rear end in a top hat to Ryuji, but never actively does anything creepy.

Teddie on the other hand...I’m only 17 hours in P4 but my thoughts on Teddie are not improving as of yet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn’t really mind Morgana outside his obsession with Ann, and his outright hostility towards Ryuji. Friendly banter is one thing and a sassy cat bickering with Ryuji in a friendly way is one thing, but he was outright vitriolic and couldn’t take it back.

gently caress teddie. Didn’t mind his arc but hated most of his character.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoGysD9hNMM

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I think it helps that you can heckle Morgana to some degree to get back at him for 'gently caress you go to sleep'. Having a release for some frustration makes him better than teddie, who I can't recall ever really ever getting to mess with him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I enjoy Teddie seemingly making his life mission to torment Yosuke.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Funky Valentine posted:

I enjoy Teddie seemingly making his life mission to torment Yosuke.

Fair, since I also felt Yosuke needed some tormenting for his shittiness.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They deserve each other.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If they did do a more adult cast of party members for a game it would be kind of interesting if you were actually more limited in party member choice for some dungeons because they had real life stuff in the way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bobjr posted:

If they did do a more adult cast of party members for a game it would be kind of interesting if you were actually more limited in party member choice for some dungeons because they had real life stuff in the way.

They did that in Persona 3 and it was just kind of annoying

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Ryuji is the only Persona character to have never done anything wrong, ever, and he is my bestest bud.

I can normally excuse his dumbness but the one time that made me facepalm was when he yells ITS ALL BECAUSE WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES in public

Also he does kinda creep on ann a few times.

Gaius Marius posted:

you might want to sit down for this, but the three stooges is primarily a comedy while persona is not.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I love Ryuji but I would not say he does nothing wrong, he wants recognition for being a Phantom Thief too much. It’s very realistic for a 16 year old but it does continuously make it harder to keep a secret.

Morgana on the other hand I just feel bad for. He’s having an identity crisis and as more party members accrue, his place in the team naturally diminishes, and he’s not able to develop relationships with the others as much. He’s terrified that he’s gonna be left behind. It’s a really awful thing to feel even if you’re just a regular person and not a cat who might be human.

Both of them are way too horny also but honestly the game sort of takes their side on that, especially with Ann. Honestly despite not being as outwardly caddish as Morgana and Ryuji, I feel like Yusuke’s attitude towards women is way worse. There are a few moments where he says something wildly chauvinistic out of nowhere and I’m just like “Jesus Christ dude”

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Harrow posted:

Someone once pointed out that the reason Ryuji is so much better than Yosuke, even though they both appear to fill the "male best friend" role in their respective games, is that they don't really have the same role. It's all in their arcanas. Ryuji is a Chariot arcana character--the same as Chie--while Yosuke is the Magician. Persona 5's Magician character is Morgana, who ultimately plays a more similar role to Yosuke (and Junpei) than Ryuji does. Morgana's the "hopeless romantic" who is obsessed with being The Hero, is not The Hero, and is extremely insecure about his position in the group.

Ultimately I like Morgana a lot better than Yosuke, too, but it's kind of fun to notice the similarities in character arcs and how you can kind of guess where any individual character might go based on their arcana once you've played one or two Persona games.

So you're telling me that if Chie was a boy, they would be best boy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Acerbatus posted:

Also he does kinda creep on ann a few times.

From the viewpoint of Ryuji being a teenager, I actually kind of like those scenes because of Ann's reactions: during the beach cutscene, she just loving laughs at him, and then when he tries to peep an upskirt, she just waves him off.

from the viewpoint of the omnicient camera, it sucks

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

bobjr posted:

Then no one would join MC since they'd all be tired from their daily jobs :gbsmith:

Also, it'd get too real since I can never get any of my friends to join me when I play games together.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alder posted:

Then no one would join MC since they'd all be tired from their daily jobs :gbsmith:

Also, it'd get too real since I can never get any of my friends to join me when I play games together.

Obviously, they need to have a game where the cast is retired senior citizens.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Acerbatus posted:

you might want to sit down for this, but the three stooges is primarily a comedy while persona is not.

This is a debate I've been having with some people since I played P4 for the first time in 2017 - what to make of gag scenes.

People give Yosuke poo poo but it is Chie who introduces herself by physically assaulting him in a very vulnerable, dangerous spot without any real provocation and also ​later on steals his money.

Sounds terrible, why would you be friends with anyone who does such awful things to you? Simple answer is because it's a gag. Persona might not be a comedy but it is absolutely loaded with comedy. All that was missing win those scenes was a horn going womp womp. Persona loves its 90s humor.

But some people really take gag scenes super seriously. I've honestly heard people ask why the Investigation Team are even friends given the high number of these scenes. And it isn't even that high but people remember them and Mystery Food X and etc. and judge all of the IT's relationship with each other by those standards. The standards of scenes you are not in any way supposed to take seriously or think about and which have absolutely no bearing on the characters.

Never made sense to me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Ryuji/Ann friendship is pretty good, though I feel like as far as the male/female friendship dynamic goes it's hard to top Junpei/Yukari, because they burn each other really well.

The game is definitely a bit weird with how they want us to treat Ann re: her sexuality though.

Also with that scene re: the girls and Ryuji people are talking about I'm not really that bothered by it, I'm more bothered by the equivalent scene in Strikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
comedy is about timing and that "gag" comes right after what's supposed to be ryuji's moment of apotheosis, overcoming his disability for the sake of saving the rest of his team

the joke itself isn't even particularly funny, and it sucks at offering catharsis for that scene