Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

The ground combat in this game get incredibly dull as you get closer to the endgame, grinding out the same battle over and over and over again on different planets.

Another reason to blitz.

Yeah, it's definitely not like SEV, where you can cheese battles a lot since you can design whatever deranged idea you have for a tank and if the AI can't counter it, you just win every battle forever. :v:

You just have to take logistics into account. My favorite Space Empires V moment was when I lost all my self-designed short-range tanks except one and nearly lost the already won battle because the other half of that army, my self-designed invincible artillery tanks with long-range missiles, ran out of ammunition. My last tank had to awkwardly hover across the map, very slowly chewing up defenses which couldn't even target him. It took two extra turns, while the other tanks could do nothing without resupply and just sat there. (The battle happened behind enemy lines.) :v:

Though I have to watch the ground combat in this game here a bit more closely before I can decide if Master of Orion III's ground combat is better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Libluini posted:

I have to watch the ground combat in this game here a bit more closely before I can decide if Master of Orion III's ground combat is better or worse.

That's ... not even a discussion to my mind :).

maninthesuit posted:

I tend to turtle in general in games like these. You can have all the lebensraum you want, I'll just be here watching my lovely planets grow and my research go ping.*
All out galacticide can wait till I have my invisible, mass-produced, teleporting deathstars. (or local equivalent)

The not-Libluini MOO LPs broke me of that mentality, I used to do that as well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I might have missed the explanation, but what do the radar trucks do? Just give radar for surface battles?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now that I've taken a closer look, the ground combat in Imperium Galactica reminds me a lot of Command & Conquer. Kind of neat.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
The Invasion Continues (29:26)

More of the same as we smash the weakest Garthog planet. Another crew member has things to say, and it's a strange conversation. It seems primarily meant to tell us robotics are really important for some reason and tell us how to do research after we've been doing it for quite a while already. There's more of the 'this universe needs to get its story straight' narrative as well.

Next episode begins a big turn, as we wrap up phase one of the Garthog invasion. We'll look at some strategy for taking down the tougher planets, including a comparison of our fleet assets along with what research I'm going to be skipping and why. And the Garthogs won't take this conquest lying down forever ... we will probably also get to see the first bits of the game 'breaking'. A fair bit of that to come here at the business end of Commander rank.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 21, 2021

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Randalor posted:

I might have missed the explanation, but what do the radar trucks do? Just give radar for surface battles?

Yep. I've never found the radar useful for ground combat, though that *might* change in the late-game ... I don't have a lot of experience with those fights yet. In any case, at this stage of the game I find it to be useless since I can just scan for enemies visually.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

More of the same as we smash the weakest Garthog planet. Another crew member has things to say, and it's a strange conversation. It seems primarily meant to tell us robotics are really important for some reason and tell us how to do research after we've been doing it for quite a while already. There's more of the 'this universe needs to get its story straight' narrative as well.

If you added 30 or 50 years to his age, I could believe that the scientist was talking about an older model of fighter, akin to someone talking about how much of a pain it was getting labs to coordinate on the M4 Sherman tank, meanwhile you're currently using Abrams tanks and researching their successor.

Making him a wunderkind just makes it seem nonsensical though.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm calling it now, Dante is a robot, and he is the latest in a series of technician-murdering prototypes. Only, someone managed to switch his dial from "techie scum" to "Garthog slime."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think I got another tech through invasion, but it might have been some freaky circumstance with the AI suffering a nuclear accident, so the planetary shield was depowered. Which meant I didn't need to destroy it in the assault and got the tech after I took the planet.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
You're leaving that roaming Garthog fleet alone, which makes sense, but interested in what it actually does.

Is destroying it linked to a trigger? What is the fleet composition?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mighty Steed posted:

You're leaving that roaming Garthog fleet alone, which makes sense, but interested in what it actually does.

Is destroying it linked to a trigger? What is the fleet composition?

If I'm understanding Strategic Sage right, you will see that fleet in action in the very next episode :)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Mighty Steed posted:

It's actually going to be a bit until we get to the roaming fleet. I want to save that until the time comes though.

There's no trigger I know of that's connected to it. It's just meant to be an obstacle, defensive fleet patrolling their systems ... but even at that job it fails.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Facade Cracks (26:24)

The Garthogs try a counterattack, with the most amusing part being where it comes from. This is our first sign of the game breaking; there will be more. Meanwhile, we transition from Phase One of the invasion to Phase Two, getting to the point where we are ready to begin whittling down their capital on Garthog 4 and have, to the extent it is possible, assimilated the conquered planets into our growing territory. Research and fleet choices also receive some attention as I mentioned previously.

Next up will be a whole lot of fighting at the climax of the campaign. Once Garthog 4 falls, there won't be very much left to do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean... maybe you could explain the Garthog invasion fleet as the remnant forces from that planet making a hail-Mary attack?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'm afraid I can't buy that, since we can see so much as a single trader with our rader, or virus transports, or ... No ship escapes our notice. Certainly not a fleet with a fully armed flagship :).

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

The Facade Cracks (26:24)

The Garthogs try a counterattack, with the most amusing part being where it comes from. This is our first sign of the game breaking; there will be more. Meanwhile, we transition from Phase One of the invasion to Phase Two, getting to the point where we are ready to begin whittling down their capital on Garthog 4 and have, to the extent it is possible, assimilated the conquered planets into our growing territory. Research and fleet choices also receive some attention as I mentioned previously.

Next up will be a whole lot of fighting at the climax of the campaign. Once Garthog 4 falls, there won't be very much left to do.

Huh, by the minimap I thought the Garthogs were going to be the warmup before the galaxy proper opens up. Oh well, it's been a fun watch anyway.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I meant for this rank, sorry if that wasn't clear. There's a lot more after the Garthogs.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Garthog Climax (22:36)

The war against the Garthog nears it's end as we hammer down the capital. It's costly, but now they are on their last leg. One more planet to go and we'll have done what we came to Commander rank to do. A lot is coming in the next episode; we'll take a look at the happenings I went a little too quickly to experience as a Commander, plot happens, dealing with the Garthog patrol fleet in a decidedly unconventional way ... and of course another promotion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember using fighters moving up and down in front of the enemy planets as a distraction that would ideally avoid getting hit and only really taking damage on my fleet from stray shots, but I forgot if that only worked with the ground based planetary defenses or with the starbases too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you knew that the ground attack probably would have failed, could you have made a second fleet with the sole intention of bringing the second wave in directly behind the first, or was it just because the time to fly back to a planet, restock on tanks and then come back is negligible? And does it stay like that through the game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randalor posted:

If you knew that the ground attack probably would have failed, could you have made a second fleet with the sole intention of bringing the second wave in directly behind the first, or was it just because the time to fly back to a planet, restock on tanks and then come back is negligible? And does it stay like that through the game?

Capital ships are pretty expensive at this point, and the aim was to speedrun through this part of the game. But yes, he could have done that.

As the game goes on, things change a bit. Distances in some cases become quite a bit larger, but fleets also become faster. Getting a spaceport up and running was usually a very high priority in the campaign from the next rank forward, and many alien planets have their own spaceport. I did use a second supply fleet on some occasions, usually sending them in first to bomb the defenses, then retreating and having the main fleet take out any space stations in orbit, and then commencing the ground attack. If that failed, the second fleet would finish the job. It speeds up the process a bit, but not by that much, since I still found myself limited by my ability to crank out replacement tanks and bombs for large parts of the game.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

my dad posted:

I remember using fighters moving up and down in front of the enemy planets as a distraction that would ideally avoid getting hit and only really taking damage on my fleet from stray shots, but I forgot if that only worked with the ground based planetary defenses or with the starbases too.

I've never tried that. I would think it would be hard to get as many ships in range doing it that way, but if it distracts them sufficiently I could see it working.

Randalor posted:

What Torranor said, but basically I'll take a delay of several hours over spending upwards of 200K and several days to build another group of flagships. I do expect to use multiple fleets in the endgame, but I don't expect any real comparisons to come up between now and then. There will be a 'lull' here where we won't be doing as much fighting after the Garthog are finished off. More :words: on that to come.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Is there any particular reason you aren't just sitting back on your main game to let those additional events trigger, like enemy buildups to avoid or things that are easier later because you went so fast? Or is it just a matter of 'this war machine only goes at ludicrous speed'?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The buildup on some of the Garthog planets will get higher if you wait, but the really big differences will be seen in the next rank and afterwards(so: soon). It gets a *lot* easier to expand further if you move through the first few ranks quickly. It also speeds up the endgame, which is a slog but how much of one depends on how soon you get there.

The other reason is basically what you said in the last sentence though - because I can and because I'm trying to break the game as much as possible.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is the rest of the Galaxy actually running/being simulated before it gets introduced? Is that why its beneficial to rush through these early chapters?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yes. It's been a while, but that was a topic of conversation a good ways earlier in the thread. For example, towards the end of the second rank (Captain) we witnessed the Garthog patrol fleet going back and forth between it's planets even though we couldn't invade them yet - flagships weren't available until we reached Commander. Some things are triggered to happen X days or whatever after you reach a new rank; others proceed in the background regardless of what rank you are at, so take longer and you are making your task at the next rank more difficult.

I promise I will discuss this more when we get into the nitty-gritty of the next rank; probably two episodes from now. The veterans in the thread can vouch for the differences between what we'll be able to do upon the next promotion and what you can do if you get there, say, a month or two later.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Looks like the need for micro is diminishing and your tactics are evolving.

Way you threw those destroyers 1s in as space base bullet shields seemed unthinkable in the last rank where you were carefully levelling up the crews. Same with the tanks.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Seeing the Garthog patrol fleet right on top of yours before cutting away for the supply run made me try to imagine how that went down.

"Sir, our fleet is in position to attack!"
"Excellent, maintain patrol course."
"We're not going to engage?"
"I have my orders."
"But...they're right there! I can see them out the window!"
"My orders come directly from his Garthoginess himself."
"They just blew up our defenses and are landing tanks!"
"I'm sure it is all going according to plan. There is no need for concern."

And drat, all of Dante's predecessors must be feeling pretty bad right now. At war for over 30 years, with nothing to show for it. Dante? Pretty much dismantled the Garthog empire in little more than a week.
I'm not even joking.
Part 14 (The invasion begins) started at 3427, October 16, 19:50pm.
Part 17 (Garthog Climax) ends at 3427, October 26, 6:10am.

What I'm saying is that this speed-run just got a whole lot more hilarious now that I've looked at the clock for once.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

maninthesuit posted:

Seeing the Garthog patrol fleet right on top of yours before cutting away for the supply run made me try to imagine how that went down.

"Sir, our fleet is in position to attack!"
"Excellent, maintain patrol course."
"We're not going to engage?"
"I have my orders."
"But...they're right there! I can see them out the window!"
"My orders come directly from his Garthoginess himself."
"They just blew up our defenses and are landing tanks!"
"I'm sure it is all going according to plan. There is no need for concern."

I can't wait to hear your explanation for what that fleet does ... or should I say doesn't do ... in the next episode.

maninthesuit posted:

And drat, all of Dante's predecessors must be feeling pretty bad right now. At war for over 30 years, with nothing to show for it. Dante? Pretty much dismantled the Garthog empire in little more than a week.

Indeed. Just ... don't think too much about it. The conclusions drawn about the competency of the Human Empire are ... unpleasant. And just to be vague once more, there's more happenings on the 'how did these clowns ever end up in charge of *anything*' front coming soon.

Mighty Steed posted:

Looks like the need for micro is diminishing and your tactics are evolving.

Quite so, although the micro will return for a while.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 10, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

I can't wait to hear your explanation for what that fleet does ... or should I say doesn't do ... in the next episode.

"Commander, are we going to move in and attack the marauding human fleet?"

"Not until we get new orders from Command."

"Sir, Command got completely wiped out by a barrage of tank and rocket fire."

"Then I guess you'd better get comfortable. :smug:"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

When the fleet captain is passed over one too many times for promotions.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

maninthesuit posted:

I'm not even joking.
Part 14 (The invasion begins) started at 3427, October 16, 19:50pm.
Part 17 (Garthog Climax) ends at 3427, October 26, 6:10am.

What I'm saying is that this speed-run just got a whole lot more hilarious now that I've looked at the clock for once.

The way time passes is really odd. Probably worked for the first rank but as the game grows in scale the way time passes stops making sense.

Last week: "Mortal enemy who just invaded my planet - RESIST RESIST RESIST. No taxes." :black101:
Week later: "Eh suppose they're not so bad." :shrug:

Same with research and production timescales. Industrial capability to turn out a fleet of flagships in a week, but still struggling on with a war for 30 years.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Now What? (25:29)

The Garthogs are now defeated, getting no help whatsoever from that patrol fleet, so now what do we do with our primary enemy since we began this journey having been dispatched? Dante is now an Admiral, and while it will soon get more explicit we now get the picture of our protagonist's drama. This has ... implications, which I'm saving to get into until there's as much closure as we're going to get from Imperium Galactica.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These cutscenes are funny. Those was I think a class 3 space station, and a class 3 destroyer. Why don't we have those? Also, the Thorin is not 3 times as big as the current flagships.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The fun begins now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh I get what's going on with the plot now! The aliens from X-Com 2 got bored of running "real-world" simulations on the Commander and thought it would be funny to make him play a simulator of how they rose up and took over the rest of the universe, except that he's breaking it over his knee.

Edit: Wait, did I hear the end cutscene right? "Here's a ship that we can't build anymore. It's three times larger than anything in the fleet, and is full of technology that is primitive by even our standards. It's yours now. By the way, we found a race that made the Garthog look like primitives, have fun fighting them kthxbye"?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 14, 2021

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Randalor posted:

Edit: Wait, did I hear the end cutscene right? "Here's a ship that we can't build anymore. It's three times larger than anything in the fleet, and is full of technology that is primitive by even our standards. It's yours now. By the way, we found a race that made the Garthog look like primitives, have fun fighting them kthxbye"?

I think more in terms of "super-prototype that can't be replicated anymore with our current technology" last of its kind.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Randalor posted:

Wait, did I hear the end cutscene right? "Here's a ship that we can't build anymore. It's three times larger than anything in the fleet, and is full of technology that is primitive by even our standards. It's yours now. By the way, we found a race that made the Garthog look like primitives, have fun fighting them kthxbye"?

Amusing, but a couple of points of order:

** The Thorin isn't full of primitive technology. It's actually the other way around if anything; the current Human Empire is a shadow of the Old Empire. The Thorin is actually advanced enough that we can't build the best toys it could use.
** Race(s) to have fun fighting. Not one, many :).

Or what OutofSight said about the Thorin while I was typing this post.

mydad posted:

The fun begins now.

Depends on what part of Admiral rank you enjoy probably. Some aspects of how it's supposed to play out aren't going to go according to design, to put it mildly.

Torranor posted:

Those was I think a class 3 space station, and a class 3 destroyer. Why don't we have those?

Because they were toy models and don't actually exist yet? Otherwhise dunno.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Finally, we're at the part of the game where fighters become useful again :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
My guess for the patrol fleet:

"Admiral, our worlds are lost to the humans! We are the last of the Garthog military! What do we do?"

"Why, who are these 'Garthog' you speak of? We the noble 'Harthog', and we want nothing but peace with the humans."