Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Lovers tarot looks like it could be useful either way for some decks - a free turn one ally or free deck thinning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's very appropriate that a senator would do sanity damage, and talking to them might cause doom. Not really onboard with the idea of a senator having a clue though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

It's very appropriate that a senator would do sanity damage, and talking to them might cause doom. Not really onboard with the idea of a senator having a clue though.

Evil cults? Sure. Ghosts, time travel, other dimensions? Whatever. Nameless horrors from beyond time and space? No problem.

Politicians with a clue? Nope. Immersion ruined.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Charlie Kane
The Politician
Survivor - 5/3/2/2
Action : Choose a non-elite enemy at your location : Parley. Test Will (X), where X is that enemy's combined damage and horror values. If you succeed, defeat that enemy. If you fail, add one doom to the current agenda. (Limit once per turn)
"Have I told you about my re-election campaign?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Isn't that an autokill with Nice Clothes? Easy Parley 0 on most foes.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

In this case we sacrifice balance for thematic effect. Nothing stands a chance against the establishment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A politician investigator should be able to deal horror to enemies, including Elder Gods. Also fellow investigators get mental trauma every scenario.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There are alternate signatures for basically every character on TTS now, someone made an amazing mod. The Rita one is the best I think, adrenaline rewards you running around like a crazy person, using shortcut, shoes, and evades to play tricks and assets faster and cheaper. But I’d say 95% of the cards open up new avenues of gameplay in really interesting ways. The new Jacqueline weakness is stiff, but it no longer requires you to avoid any bless or curse tokens in the bag.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Got back into this game. I forgot how it makes you hesitant to draw cards from your own deck! I lost my tokens, but colored dice and the app do the trick. I have 2x core sets, and my Wendy deck was doing well... until The Devourer Below. That's a lot of combat without some of the tricks I've read about with future sets. I keep dying in the second or third round. I don't recall having this much trouble with Agnes years ago. Genius game design though and I'm glad it's still going strong. Catching up on it is going to be a lot of money.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Agnes is tough without rigorous amount of healing, that’s why people always pair her with Carolyn. And that combo has problem with direct fighting and dexterity, but can do basically everything else well. (Silas might be a great third.)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 15, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Devourer Below is like top 3 worst scenarios.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What are the others? The groundhog day from TFA?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

SelenicMartian posted:

What are the others? The groundhog day from TFA?

Yeah, and the punch in the gut hard one from TCU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

Yeah, and the punch in the gut hard one from TCU

Which one is that?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wages of Sin

Whats your ranking of all scenarios ? https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/l8bz7z/whats_your_ranking_of_all_scenarios/

Surprisingly this author doesn’t rank anything from TFA as lowest, but you get the gist.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

City of archives is certainly frustrating if you don’t know it’s coming.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jeeves posted:

Wages of Sin

Whats your ranking of all scenarios ? https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/l8bz7z/whats_your_ranking_of_all_scenarios/

Surprisingly this author doesn’t rank anything from TFA as lowest, but you get the gist.

See, I thought it was that one, but I would describe Wages of Sin as "that extremely random pain in the neck".

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Wages of Sin is hard, but also kinda inconsequential in the scheme of the campaign, which makes it a bit less punishing. Still a bad scenario though, it's very random and it's the peak of TCU's annoyingness. I hope the return makes the campaign less miserable to play through, especially if you have a low Willpower investigator.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Lair of Dagon spoilers.

The final pack got spoiled too but I think there were only three cards that weren't known, one of which is this glorious beast :

Somehow not a relic, but I guess that's what Enchant Weapon is for!

And the other two :

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s weird that the Blessed sword isn’t a relic. I ruled that it was just so we could have Mary as our main fighter in run through carcosa.

At five XP, you better build your deck around that Spear. Hopefully, you have ways to deal with the build up rather than having less effective attacks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Looks like they've found a use for the flannel shirt art.
Nowhere near there use in AH 3e

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2504466/why-silas-marsh-always-topless

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Golden Bee posted:

It’s weird that the Blessed sword isn’t a relic. I ruled that it was just so we could have Mary as our main fighter in run through carcosa.

At five XP, you better build your deck around that Spear. Hopefully, you have ways to deal with the build up rather than having less effective attacks.

Fwiw I think the 3 fight is the bigger problem than not being a relic.

Also I'm starting to feel this game is getting into the same trap that D&D has through most of it's time-if you're a fighter, you get a bonus attack. And you pay through the nose for access to a better weapon. Whereas all your non-fighter friends are warping reality and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. I was excited for the spear but it's really...mediocre. And even with a build around I'm not sure it's close to as good as Flamethrower, or Timeworn Brand (especially since the brand just works all the time). The card power just seems to lag a lot behind the other classes, and the one thing they really kinda have on their own (top-end weapons) aren't really that much better, given how much they give up for their card pool.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

Fwiw I think the 3 fight is the bigger problem than not being a relic.

Also I'm starting to feel this game is getting into the same trap that D&D has through most of it's time-if you're a fighter, you get a bonus attack. And you pay through the nose for access to a better weapon. Whereas all your non-fighter friends are warping reality and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. I was excited for the spear but it's really...mediocre. And even with a build around I'm not sure it's close to as good as Flamethrower, or Timeworn Brand (especially since the brand just works all the time). The card power just seems to lag a lot behind the other classes, and the one thing they really kinda have on their own (top-end weapons) aren't really that much better, given how much they give up for their card pool.

Other than requiring two hands I'm really having trouble seeing how the spear is worse than the timeworn brand. The top action is just as good as the brand and the bottom action is usable more than once per scenario if you have any amount of bless support.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I feel guardians have a lot of fun things to do. Carolyn can go big money (and turn Agnes into a murder machine), Nathaniel has excellent board control and action reduction (“Get over here(2)“ on an aloof enemy two spaces away gives four actions for a lot cheaper than rogues get). Tommy is amazingly vital in TIC, it’s hard to imagine going 3+ players and not bringing him along. And with less token support, amazing new things are possible, although having a survivor makes that much easier.

I would say its mystics since Jaqueline who have struggled for a new identity, since “replace everything with your willpower“ has been the norm for so long.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you don’t think it’s as good as the flame thrower, which in the latest taboo cost two more experience… Remember that you can run the spear at cost. No blessed ammo, no reloads, no rogue who can play contraband. It’s super expensive, but it’s the pinnacle melee weapon. And if you need to clear the room, there’s grenades.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Other than requiring two hands I'm really having trouble seeing how the spear is worse than the timeworn brand. The top action is just as good as the brand and the bottom action is usable more than once per scenario if you have any amount of bless support.

So other than the ways it's worse, you don't see how it's worse? 2 hands is a limit that cuts into using something like survival knife for guardians to give a bit of action compression. And as for the second that was my point about brand-you don't need to support it. It's always on, and gives a big swing once. Not to mention the relic thing which is occasionally useful. Not to mention that Guardians imo should be getting better weapon options than something available to literally everyone. It shouldn't be something that needs to be compared.

Golden Bee posted:

I feel guardians have a lot of fun things to do. Carolyn can go big money (and turn Agnes into a murder machine), Nathaniel has excellent board control and action reduction (“Get over here(2)“ on an aloof enemy two spaces away gives four actions for a lot cheaper than rogues get). Tommy is amazingly vital in TIC, it’s hard to imagine going 3+ players and not bringing him along. And with less token support, amazing new things are possible, although having a survivor makes that much easier.

I would say its mystics since Jaqueline who have struggled for a new identity, since “replace everything with your willpower“ has been the norm for so long.
Oddly enough, my playgroup would have Carolyn and Tommy as two of the 3 worst investigators in the game. Carolyn can go big money...only so can basically any rogue while also having a whole basket of card draw and other tricks, while their money will also be much bigger. And Agnes is already a murder machine. Get over here is a great card and I've made the point that it's the direction more Guardian cards need to go, but that's one card.

My point isn't that guardians don't have a few cool tricks, it's that their cards are consistently less powerful. And with Silas, Yorrick, and Tony I don't even know if they have the best fighter/monster handlers. Every mystic to some extent largely plays the same, but it's an extremely powerful basket of options they play with, and replace everything with willpower is great for a class that has huge willpower.

Golden Bee posted:

If you don’t think it’s as good as the flame thrower, which in the latest taboo cost two more experience… Remember that you can run the spear at cost. No blessed ammo, no reloads, no rogue who can play contraband. It’s super expensive, but it’s the pinnacle melee weapon. And if you need to clear the room, there’s grenades.
I think flamethrower is only one more, but at 2 more I still think it's probably better. And yeah, you can run the spear with no other things...only then it's clearly inferior to Timeworn Brand. Which is kinda my point. Heck, in that pack itself you see other classes getting cards that will likely be taboo'd in the future, whereas guardians get a 5xp weapon thats...maybe a better melee choice than a neutral weapon if you add support, and without support is just clearly inferior?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, those tokens get stored, which trigger effects that can give you extra turns. You’re never going to skip the encounter phase or remove a vital doom before the clock advances using the time-worn brand.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Guardians probably do need to do more things than just 'be a fighter' and they are trying new things in that space, but I would rather see more weapons like the Holy Spear that require support to be good rather than every new expansion have a Super Flamethrower which is unequivocally the best weapon to pack no matter who you are.

edit : I also think a weapon that requires support should be generally better than the best all-rounder, so if Mary's Holy Spear build isn't better than her Flamethrower build then that's bad.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 19, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My friend bought me the first three packs (minus the big box, which I had from back in the day) for Dunwich Legacy, and they're arriving tomorrow! The other three packs are out of stock everywhere, but I'm going to start with the sets I have. Forget trying to solo Devourer Below.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

My friend bought me the first three packs (minus the big box, which I had from back in the day) for Dunwich Legacy, and they're arriving tomorrow! The other three packs are out of stock everywhere, but I'm going to start with the sets I have. Forget trying to solo Devourer Below.

When you get to them, it looks like the other three packs are currently available from various online retailers (in the US, at least). When I was trying to fill out cycles, I had the best luck using Google's shopping searches - they do a pretty good job of catching items when they become available!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I mean, those tokens get stored, which trigger effects that can give you extra turns. You’re never going to skip the encounter phase or remove a vital doom before the clock advances using the time-worn brand.

The spear doesn't do those things either. You need to use bless token strategies to fuel the spear to make it in any way better than the brand, it's actually counterproductive to maximizing either of those other cards (which honestly highlight part of what I was saying about Guardian cards being lacking-Hallow is probably the more powerful effect, but it also requires an action, 2 more resources, and double the blessed tokens which I'm not sure is reflective of the difference in power, especially since there's a good chance Survivors can recur A Watchful Peace).

Kalko posted:

Guardians probably do need to do more things than just 'be a fighter' and they are trying new things in that space, but I would rather see more weapons like the Holy Spear that require support to be good rather than every new expansion have a Super Flamethrower which is unequivocally the best weapon to pack no matter who you are.

edit : I also think a weapon that requires support should be generally better than the best all-rounder, so if Mary's Holy Spear build isn't better than her Flamethrower build then that's bad.
I think that it would be a nice start if Guardians were at least the best fighters. I guess my main issue is that if you're just going for effectiveness you have two choices-Brand, and Flamethrower. I find them to be roughly equal-flamethrower is indeed more powerful, but also requires a lot more support, which takes away from other things you could be doing (or even just other things you can be spending on increasing your fighting ability). Brand just invalidates so many other choices for 3+ players because it's always on and equally effective with no support. When I first saw the spear previewed, I was really excited especially after seeing all the stuff in the pack. I was hopeful that there would be a killer guardian weapon that wasn't flamethrower (and, being melee, didn't require all the deck buildaround Flamethrower requires). Instead it's something that's inferior to a neutral weapon without a lot of buildaround, and likely inferior to flamethrower given equal levels of buildaround. Even making the to-hit bonus +3 base/+5 with tokens at least means that Guardians get a premium for being the "fight" class without having to run a bunch of bless mechanics they may not otherwise want to. And even in that case, they're giving up a hand slot and the super swing in comparison.

And for Mary in particular, I honestly think the Flamethrower is basically necessary for her to be the main fighter in a campaign. My group just finished a playthrough of Circle Undone on hard, and Mark was still having trouble sometimes with a 5 base fight.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Not sure if you're on reddit at all, but the Arkham Horror group there often posts when/where different packs are available. Could be useful to check.

As mentioned by someone else as well, Google shopping will sometimes pick up other places. I've also had luck in the past with a couple packs we missed finding them from overseas retailers (or I should say, non-US). Even with shipping they often weren't that much more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’ll try out the spear on my next campaign, but I had a lot of fun with Mary with a Winchester, enchant weapon and two copies of reliable. Often the weapon went on to Joe diamond’s pick.

I think niche protection is super hard once you get above 25 characters in any game. Each class is evolving differently, and it’s good that you don’t -need- to bring any of the five to succeed.

I think the gravedigger is the best character in the game, there’s no scenario you can’t build him for, and recurring favor of the sun repeatedly meant TCU was often a cakewalk where it could’ve been a nightmare.

Tony is a rich brutal bastard, but there’s nothing much you can do if your teammates are dying but kill foes faster.

One of the investigators I was super hard on, Silas, is the perfect partner for Ursula in TIC. Opportunist+harpoon is solid. Dodging and stabbing is plenty, and the chainsaw doesn’t need to come out early to make a huge difference. Wouldn’t have believed it before I played it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

It's always on, and gives a big swing once. Not to mention the relic thing which is occasionally useful. Not to mention that Guardians imo should be getting better weapon options than something available to literally everyone. It shouldn't be something that needs to be compared.

This is the part I'm not following. The spear is also "always on" and attacks for exactly the same fight and damage as the equal xp weapon. Teams that play with blesses let it make a big swing at least every third strike.

It seems substantially better than the brand in a bless heavy environment. Considering the power level of cards like Sacred Covenant, building around blesses isn't a big ask.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I’ll try out the spear on my next campaign, but I had a lot of fun with Mary with a Winchester, enchant weapon and two copies of reliable. Often the weapon went on to Joe diamond’s pick.

I think niche protection is super hard once you get above 25 characters in any game. Each class is evolving differently, and it’s good that you don’t -need- to bring any of the five to succeed.

I think the gravedigger is the best character in the game, there’s no scenario you can’t build him for, and recurring favor of the sun repeatedly meant TCU was often a cakewalk where it could’ve been a nightmare.

Tony is a rich brutal bastard, but there’s nothing much you can do if your teammates are dying but kill foes faster.

One of the investigators I was super hard on, Silas, is the perfect partner for Ursula in TIC. Opportunist+harpoon is solid. Dodging and stabbing is plenty, and the chainsaw doesn’t need to come out early to make a huge difference. Wouldn’t have believed it before I played it.

I agree with you about niche protection. And note I didn't say I thought Mary was bad, I'm just very suspect about 3 fight being good enough to carry a campaign. And tbh I think it's good you don't need any class, or that you can even make full parties of one class! I do think though that it's also fine if a class has a niche, and that if they do they should at least be best at that overall. And as for Tony, he kills dudes REAL fast. Besides, versatile for hallowed mirror is all the healing I've found necessary for most games (or even, all the healing that's desired as it's typically a very inefficient action).

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is the part I'm not following. The spear is also "always on" and attacks for exactly the same fight and damage as the equal xp weapon. Teams that play with blesses let it make a big swing at least every third strike.

It seems substantially better than the brand in a bless heavy environment. Considering the power level of cards like Sacred Covenant, building around blesses isn't a big ask.
I agree it's always on. It also takes two hand slots, which if you're not in a bless heavy environment means it's just worse (not to mention the lack of being a relic thing, which I'm honestly surprised by). That's my point-it doesn't seem like a big ask now when everyone's trying out blesses and all the new cards, but what about when the next set comes out and everyone wants to mess around with cards with amplify effects (or whatever new mechanic)? Or if people are doing a bunch of curse stuff? Or they...just don't feel like running blesses? The fact that "yeah, it's better than this weapon available to everyone if your party builds their decks around one mechanic" is the issue to me. Like the flamethrower doesn't ask your whole party to build around it to make it functional. Idk I just want a reason in my multiplayer games to reach for top-end xp weapons that aren't brand or flamethrower and not feel like I'm crippling my party. I'll likely try the spear in our Innsmouth campaign when we start in a couple weeks (we typically wait to start until most the packs are released, so we don't have gaps) since our party's already discussed going heavy on bless stuff, and I expect it to be great for that. I'm just not sure it's gonna see much, if any, use outside of that. And even then, outside of having Mary it could end up being hard to get enough bless tokens in the bag to actually support it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

When you get to them, it looks like the other three packs are currently available from various online retailers (in the US, at least). When I was trying to fill out cycles, I had the best luck using Google's shopping searches - they do a pretty good job of catching items when they become available!

The other cycle I'm interested in is the Dream-Eaters one (because I love The Cats of Ulthar) and a similar thing is happening there - the first few are available, then it dries up, and the last pack is readily available. I'll check there and the Facebook group that alansmithee mentioned.

I'm halfway through Dunwich and I'm impressed with how flavorful this game gets just by using the same mechanics over and over. The train one was really cool. After I get more comfortable I think I'm going to play two-handed, or maybe convince my fiance that this game is way less time-intensive than Gloomhaven.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

The other cycle I'm interested in is the Dream-Eaters one (because I love The Cats of Ulthar) and a similar thing is happening there - the first few are available, then it dries up, and the last pack is readily available. I'll check there and the Facebook group that alansmithee mentioned.

I'm halfway through Dunwich and I'm impressed with how flavorful this game gets just by using the same mechanics over and over. The train one was really cool. After I get more comfortable I think I'm going to play two-handed, or maybe convince my fiance that this game is way less time-intensive than Gloomhaven.

Small correction, was reddit Arkham Horror group, not facebook. But I'd not be surprised if they facebook group also posts when available.

And my Arkham group was also my Gloomhaven group. And while we all enjoyed it, just the setup/teardown time being so much better has made it so we've not really gotten back to Gloomhaven in awhile. The fact it's a fairly deep play experience that also doesn't have the huge setup times of a lot of board games that would offer similar interesting gameplay is a big benefit imo.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I just checked randomly and The Secret Name is back in stock on the Asmodee store: https://store.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/ah-lcg-the-secret-name_1685/ - $5ish shipping, or free on orders over $29 if there's another pack/game you want to pick up!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just finished The Dunwich Legacy and drat, even with Wendy's redraw, the chaos bag is evil. I'm really confused though, how am I supposed to get Resolution 2? I finished it via R1 by making it to the end of the maze of dimensions and resigning in act 4, thinking I'd won... but then I looked at the leaflet and saw there's a better ending if every investigator is defeated in act 4? Do I have to reach act 4 and then wait around for something to kill me? Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm not sure what you mean by R2 being a better ending, in that ending the PCs close the rift and save the world but never make it home. R1 is meant to be the best ending in so far as is the one you get for completing the Act deck.