Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think he only started doing that with Scholar, so it's probably something they did more as a neat afterthought because it fit the name they already had for the boss.

But yeah, DS2 was really pretty ambitious in a lot of ways. Sadly, not all of the ideas were good, but you have to appreciate that they tried to shake up the formula. When you experiment with something new, chances are that the attempt will fail, but that's just how experiments work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think he only started doing that with Scholar, so it's probably something they did more as a neat afterthought because it fit the name they already had for the boss.

But yeah, DS2 was really pretty ambitious in a lot of ways. Sadly, not all of the ideas were good, but you have to appreciate that they tried to shake up the formula. When you experiment with something new, chances are that the attempt will fail, but that's just how experiments work.

No definitely not, Pursuer existed in DS2 and did the same things he does in Scholar. Scholar just adds a couple new spawns.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zaphod42 posted:

No definitely not, Pursuer existed in DS2 and did the same things he does in Scholar. Scholar just adds a couple new spawns.
Alright then. I guess I never ran into those, because I can only recall ever encountering him twice in my original playthrough. I had serious difficulties with that boss, though, so maybe I just died so quickly whenever he showed up that I don't even remember it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Draga posted:

It was a fun stream, even if I only caught the last half an hour or so.

I forget that I am between 5-7 hours ahead of everyone and that if I start at 2:00pm then it could be as early as 9:00am for some people!

The weekday streams will be much later :)

And I think I have met the pursuer in five separate places so far. Only managed to defeat him in four of them. One has about five dogs around it and it is so tough. I am bad at managing enemy numbers.

Also I should probably heal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I bet that was the one in the Bastille, it really catches you at a terrible moment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Bastille encounters are from Scholar for sure, they got even meaner with those

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

New RPG campaign map

Is that for the next Dark Sun reboot?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Just made my way to the huntsmans copse and already beaten the guy with the scorpion going into his eye. I think called the lost sinner I cannot recall

That's no guy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Whoops! My mistake.

And yes it was the bastille encounter. Very difficult but I will go back and beat him. Great club +6 :) heck yes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Just made my way to the huntsmans copse and already beaten the guy with the scorpion going into his eye. I think called the lost sinner I cannot recall

This is some of the most fun gaming I have had lately. Doing a set souls day was a wicked idea! :)

That boss is pretty awesome. Did you light the torches before the fight?

DS2 has a few things like that, where there's a sorta subtle thing that'll actually make a boss fight easier if you do it ahead of time.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Hangovers that last all day are the literal worst

This is why every drug should be legal. Tylenol doesn't ever fuckin work :mad:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Simone Magus posted:

Hangovers that last all day are the literal worst

This is why every drug should be legal. Tylenol doesn't ever fuckin work :mad:

Pedialyte over ice with a bacon chaser.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Whoops! My mistake.

And yes it was the bastille encounter. Very difficult but I will go back and beat him. Great club +6 :) heck yes!

I'm gonna spoiler tag this but it is something you should absolutely do if/when you have the chance, it just requires being in majula and is about some cool stuff you can get.

Spend 15k souls at Maughlin's and then go talk to him again when you have 0 souls

Note I only know that's true for the base game, idk if they changed it for Scholar of the First Sin or which version of the game you're playing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Participating in my new ongoing mindfulness ritual where I get a headache starting at exactly 3:15 every day until 5:30 where I take ibuprofin

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

VideoGames posted:

I forget that I am between 5-7 hours ahead of everyone and that if I start at 2:00pm then it could be as early as 9:00am for some people!

The weekday streams will be much later :)

And I think I have met the pursuer in five separate places so far. Only managed to defeat him in four of them. One has about five dogs around it and it is so tough. I am bad at managing enemy numbers.

Also I should probably heal.

Oh no, I'm English too so we're on the same time. I just didn't catch that you were on at first.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna spoiler tag this but it is something you should absolutely do if/when you have the chance, it just requires being in majula and is about some cool stuff you can get.

Spend 15k souls at Maughlin's and then go talk to him again when you have 0 souls

Note I only know that's true for the base game, idk if they changed it for Scholar of the First Sin or which version of the game you're playing.

It's the same in SotFS, I did it myself a few days ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Participating in my new ongoing mindfulness ritual where I get a headache starting at exactly 3:15 every day until 5:30 where I take ibuprofin

Don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but could it be because of back/neck problems from desk work? I had daily headaches for over a month until I realized they coincided with me getting a different pillow. After going back to a foam pillow, I immediately felt energized and the headaches went way. But I get similar symptoms when I spend too long in front of my pc.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but could it be because of back/neck problems from desk work? I had daily headaches for over a month until I realized they coincided with me getting a different pillow. After going back to a foam pillow, I immediately felt energized and the headaches went way. But I get similar symptoms when I spend too long in front of my pc.

Mmmmmmm I generally don't sit at a desk very often at work but it's possible. I definitely do a very different posture there than I do at home when I sit at my computer desk for at least eight hours a day and I've never had headaches before like, last week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mmmmmmm I generally don't sit at a desk very often at work but it's possible. I definitely do a very different posture there than I do at home when I sit at my computer desk for at least eight hours a day and I've never had headaches before like, last week.
Might help or might not, but maybe this will be useful to you for figuring out where the problem is coming from: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000797.htm

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just created a thread for Siralim Ultimate if anyone is playing it and wants to discuss :D
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962134

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Zaphod42 posted:

DS2 seemed to have a lot of ideas that exceeded its grasp and got cut. They clearly wanted to do a lot more with the lighting and shadow system. Imagine if putting out the torches would make it so yo could hide in a corner while the Pursuer walked by! Some resident evil in your Souls.

Oh it was waaaay more interesting than that. Dark Souls 2 started as an open-world RPG like Breath of the Wild or Gothic/Risen and had to be completely scrapped because the engine they built it on was too unpolished and ran like poo poo on old consoles, forcing From to cut+paste development assets into a super rushed package. The cool lighting effects and shadows from the E3 videos were on the original engine. It's a miracle the game came out in time, to be honest. They were splitting development between DS2 and the DS1 DLC which turned out to be a terrible idea. I love DS2 and it's unfortunate that so many people blame its development woes on "the B team" when DS2 tried so hard to push and evolve the formula.

https://youtu.be/td1HJEB3aKQ

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'm a Scholar of the First Sin liker but that's in the context of having beat the original several times. they really should have made it a remix mode option, because i think parts at least are really cool and i'm into the weird nonsense like the invisible guys that just sort of exist.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

fridge corn posted:

Being in and around London there is everything everywhere but there is a massive Korean community nearby with like 3 different full size supermarkets. Theres another massive Asian supermarket near my work as well as a beautiful middle eastern patisserie :discourse:

The only things I cant seem to get around here is some proper Mexican food or a decent bagel for the love of god

Did the Brick Lane bagel places close down? Those were dope.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh it was waaaay more interesting than that. Dark Souls 2 started as an open-world RPG like Breath of the Wild or Gothic/Risen and had to be completely scrapped because the engine they built it on was too unpolished and ran like poo poo on old consoles, forcing From to cut+paste development assets into a super rushed package. The cool lighting effects and shadows from the E3 videos were on the original engine. It's a miracle the game came out in time, to be honest. They were splitting development between DS2 and the DS1 DLC which turned out to be a terrible idea. I love DS2 and it's unfortunate that so many people blame its development woes on "the B team" when DS2 tried so hard to push and evolve the formula.

https://youtu.be/td1HJEB3aKQ

DS2 definitely feels like an object lesson in the importance of good project management.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ds2 rips

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ah, great.

Apparently there is a random crash bug in Prey and I just got to experience it firsthand.

I love it when a game is not financially successful enough for them to bother fixing it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Pedialyte over ice with a bacon chaser.

I'm driving around this poo poo rear end little southern town looking for a decent burger but apparently everyone in America is spending their stimulus on dinner

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Magus posted:

I'm driving around this poo poo rear end little southern town looking for a decent burger but apparently everyone in America is spending their stimulus on dinner

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

DS2's one of those big "what if" games where I wonder what the end product would've been like with competent direction and a clear vision at the very start. Once you start digging into the cut content, you start to realize just how vast and expansive their plans were. Stuff like the original Gutter expresses a far grander ambition than what you see in the end game, and it's sad that it was never fully realized.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've absorbed a lot of Scholar changes through osmosis despite never playing it, but those I haven't keep really surprising me when VG finds them. Like I knew about the Pursuer in the Bastille but had no idea he joins the two ogres in Things Betwixt.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Scholar, there maaay be more than one pursuer encounter in the Bastille ;)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Lmfao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh gently caress, I could get Snowrunner and the season pass for 50 or P5 Strikers for 60

WHAT DO I DO

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A high level technique is to buy both the games you want then barely play either of them

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

DS2's one of those big "what if" games where I wonder what the end product would've been like with competent direction and a clear vision at the very start. Once you start digging into the cut content, you start to realize just how vast and expansive their plans were. Stuff like the original Gutter expresses a far grander ambition than what you see in the end game, and it's sad that it was never fully realized.
Some of those designs are cool but I kind of understand why it got cut. It seems like a big part of the original game was designed to take place in a gigantic sewer system underneath the castle, which was probably not the right direction.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

A high level technique is to buy both the games you want then barely play either of them

This is why I'm a gaming master :cool:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm trying to not do that anymore!!!

I went with Snowrunner, sans season pass. Probably pick that up later but there appears to be a lot of content in the base game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am sure that is good too but I hope you are able to "support the Sophia Shop" in the near future

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I picked up Metal Slug XX on the PS4 sale for $5 and despite being a big fan of the series and understanding of the quarter-munching habits of arcade games I found it to be the least fun I've had with a game in a while. Just, like, negative fun. Constantly dying seconds after respawning, being hit by things falling from the sky with no time to react, lasers hit-scanning me from off screen, just brutal. Most of the game seemed like asset flips and pallet swaps (I mean, the series has been using the same sprite sheets for a decade+ for most enemies) with nothing new to really excite me or spice things up. I think MS3 had the zombie power-up and the fat mode power-up to provide some variation, XX has 7 characters and relies on that for all the "excitement". Every time I found something kind of fun I was immediately killed and lost it, and there was no real dramatic swell in the action at the end of the game.

It has a "combat school" mode which breaks down the stages into smaller challenges which I guess could help train me to learn patterns et al but at first blush it was such a frustrating experience I don't know that I'll really go back.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't know why everyone is suddenly playing dark souls 2 again and it makes me sad that i was permabanned from coop for no reason

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I've come pretty close to 1ccing Metal Slug X (that final boss is ridiculous) and Metal Slug XX is a brutal experience. I know some of the non-standard characters can help, Fio starts with a heavy machinegun, Leona doesn't lose her weapon until she game overs, and all the characters/metal slugs have a special action that isn't explained very well.

But overall it's low on the Metal Slug scale. You've probably already looked but the metal slug wiki & GameFAQs gets into it a little bit more if you're curious.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/996570-metal-slug-xx/55567610

https://metalslug.fandom.com/wiki/Leona_Heidern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't know why everyone is suddenly playing dark souls 2 again and it makes me sad that i was permabanned from coop for no reason

Sorry but your name for your character, “Bill the Assassin”, contains inappropriate language , it will be displayed as “Bill the ******in” when playing online